Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

ImpAtom posted:

The character is described as having "brain fevers." It's implied strongly he's autistic. I thought the voice acting was a little weird too but it's pretty clearly intentional weird, not just bad.

Ah, so it's SUPPOSED to be bad. Okay. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

nickmeister posted:

Did you listen to the thing the OP linked? I'm not at the game but it's pretty much the same. He's always got those weird inflections.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
A moment I just discovered that I found amazing was in the first assassination when you stumble on one guard talking to another guard begging his friend to kill him before he turns into a weeper, there's actually a music sting when it happens. Great stuff.

edit: Wait, maybe that's the one kill people are getting by accident in this level?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nickmeister posted:

No, it's supposed to be weird. It's fine not to like it but they cast it a specific way so yeah, it isn't like they went "Well, this guy sounds perfectly normal." (Not to mention the actor always sounds like that.)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Speaking of which, who's the voice actress who does the Heart whispers? Please put the answer in spoiler tags if it can reveal stuff (i.e. if it's the same as some other major character).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of which, who's the voice actress who does the Heart whispers? Please put the answer in spoiler tags if it can reveal stuff (i.e. if it's the same as some other major character).
Also put the answer in spoiler tags even if it doesn't reveal anything, because putting it not-spoilered would spoil that it's not a spoiler and thus reveal that there's nothing to reveal.

edit: I am serious about this.

shino
Dec 28, 2004
do not open

NihilCredo posted:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Also put the answer in spoiler tags even if it doesn't reveal anything, because putting it not-spoilered would spoil that it's not a spoiler and thus reveal that there's nothing to reveal.

edit: I am serious about this.

April Stewart.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Woah, talking smack about Brad Dourif is a no-go!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Slate Action posted:

Also, I noticed that the Penny Arcade guys were not too fond of Dishonored:
http://penny-arcade.com/2012/10/10/jambalaya

I know PA is...unpopular here but I'm curious what people think of Tycho's complaints.
An original setting uses a "grab bag" of concepts and ties them together to make the world and story? YOU DON'T SAY!

Of the many examples of lazy concepts and terrible writing that define recent PA and show their lack of care about the MWF comic + words compared to all the other projects they have going, that was the laziest and most terrible in months. I'm actually kinda angry with how utterly phoned in that was, and I'm glad that it's about a game that a lot of people like; they're going to get a lot of hatemail for it.

Most will probably probably be "you didn't like something I like and you're wrong, everyone else likes it!" which is too bad. But hopefully a few people will hit the important point that that turd had nothing interesting or amusing about it. Literally a CAD comic with PA art style.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Ok, I'm throwing down the gauntlet:

This is far better than Deadly Shadows, just better than the first Thief, and on par with the second. In fact, it steals so much from Thief--in a good way--that it feels like the right kind of evolution for such a narrow genre.

Orv
May 4, 2011

3Romeo posted:

Ok, I'm throwing down the gauntlet:

This is far better than Deadly Shadows, just better than the first Thief, and on par with the second. In fact, it steals so much from Thief--in a good way--that it feels like the right kind of evolution for such a narrow genre.

Yes, yes and no.

Thief 2 is just too much the pinnacle of the genre (like Freespace 2 is the unbeatable king of space fighter sims), and Dishonored makes things a little too easy by giving you carved paths that will make you never spark a guards interest.

E: I will say that Dishonored comes spectacularly close to T2, but it has enough flaws that I still think 2 is the better game.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 11, 2012

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Alctel posted:

Is there anyway to find out how many people you killed mid-mission?

I got right to the end of the first mission all non-lethal and found I'd killed one person but have no idea where. However I have a bunch of saves throughout so I want to go back as far as not killing anyone

So no way to do this? That's REALLY ANNOYING

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Nope, no way.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
(First mission hijinks spoilers)
Spilled the drinks and followed the Captain and Overseer down to the secret room, waited until the Overseer drew his pistol to kill the Captain then blinked behind him and stabbed him. With Shadow Kill his body disappeared and the Captain just walked off.

Shadow Kill and the Blink-stab-Blink strategy is the best. :v:

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)

ImpAtom posted:

The character is described as having "brain fevers." It's implied strongly he's autistic. I thought the voice acting was a little weird too but it's pretty clearly intentional weird, not just bad.

It is at least partially a reference to his Deadwood character as well.

By the way I hope I'm not the only person who immediately chucked the whale oil at him to see what would happen (it killed him)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I eagerly look forward to finishing this non-lethal run so I can Blink-Shadow Kill everything in my way. Does having Shadow Kill keep your chaos rating from going up? I imagine it doesn't, but I think it would make sense because you're not actually leaving any corpses around for people to find.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Klyith posted:

An original setting uses a "grab bag" of concepts and ties them together to make the world and story? YOU DON'T SAY!

Of the many examples of lazy concepts and terrible writing that define recent PA and show their lack of care about the MWF comic + words compared to all the other projects they have going, that was the laziest and most terrible in months. I'm actually kinda angry with how utterly phoned in that was, and I'm glad that it's about a game that a lot of people like; they're going to get a lot of hatemail for it.

Most will probably probably be "you didn't like something I like and you're wrong, everyone else likes it!" which is too bad. But hopefully a few people will hit the important point that that turd had nothing interesting or amusing about it. Literally a CAD comic with PA art style.

He's not complaining about the plot, and the link goes to the newspost. Read the newspost. He has valid complaints about gameplay. The comic is just a joke.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So are corpses supposed to vanish when you leave the room? Because I've now tried both those tweaked ini settings and the original ones, and corpses seem to evaporate when I leave a room and come back.

(Unconscious people linger around just fine.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

He's not complaining about the plot, and the link goes to the newspost. Read the newspost. He has valid complaints about gameplay. The comic is just a joke.

He doesn't really though. His complaints boil down to "I have choices?!" and silly things like "Well, if I get discovered I have to kill people," which is demonstrably false considering you have a freaking teleport spell available by default. The closest he has to a valid point is that killing dudes makes the game somewhat harder and even that isn't really a bad thing or a wrong design.

There are certainly complaints to be made about Dishonored but coming from the same dudes who couldn't help but slobber over Assassin's Creed? It's pretty ridiculous.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 11, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

He doesn't really though. His complaints boil down to "I have choices?!" and silly things like "Well, if I get discovered I have to kill people," which is demonstrably false considering you have a freaking teleport spell available by default. The closest he has to a valid point is that killing dudes makes the game somewhat harder and even that isn't really a bad thing or a wrong design.

Heh, the first couple times I got discovered I ALMOST loaded my last save, but fought the instinct and attempted to get away. This led to me inadvertently getting past an objective, right into some gang members, that chased me into a bunch of guards. I figured "great, now I'm screwed", until they started fighting each other while I blinked away and watched them finish up the fight, then they forgot about me. Guards won in case anyone is curious :)

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
With the atmosphere, thugs in derbies, and names like pendleton and "tallboy", It feels a little jarring that everyone doesn't a British accent. Maybe it's just me.

ImpAtom posted:

There are certainly complaints to be made about Dishonored but coming from the same dudes who couldn't help but slobber over Assassin's Creed? It's pretty ridiculous.

Posts like the PA one, and the GB QL have brought to my attention that many gamers do not understand stealth gameplay, or why the disparate elements of the game actually make a convincing world.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 11, 2012

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

thetrin posted:

With the atmosphere, thugs in derbies, and names like pendleton and "tallboy", It feels a little jarring that everyone doesn't a British accent. Maybe it's just me.

Slackjaw speaking like Daniel-Day Lewis in Gangs of New York was a nice touch, I thought. The Hollywood-Early-American accents--not to mention the constant swearing--give the game a certain grit.

edit: I couldn't remember his name and Orv caught me on my ninja edit. :ninja:

Orv
May 4, 2011

3Romeo posted:

The leader of the Bottle Street Gang speaking like Daniel-Day Lewis in Gangs of New York was a nice touch, I thought. The Early-American accents--not to mention the constant swearing--give the game a certain grit.

I knew I loved that character design for a reason! How could I forget Gangs of New York.

Isko
May 20, 2008
I am getting slight sound popping noises whenever I use dark vision and I just noticed it now when there was some background wind noise going on. It's nothing serious, just a little pop every couple of seconds, but it is starting to annoy me. Is there anything I can do?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Regarding the first mission and how I achieved the sidequest:

It never occurred to me to do any crazy crap with the drinks. I hid above the door. Campbell and the Captain walked in. I tranq'd Campbell. The Captain lost his poo poo, triggered the alarm, and on my way out I stabbed necks like it was going out of style. Saved the dude who was trying to help his sister, too.

A nice touch: overseers can't be shot in the face with a crossbow. Well, they can be, it just does nothing except piss them off.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This game is so goddamn good. 12 hours in and I've just finished the first real mission. There's so much fun to be had, so much loving around to do.

So far my only gameplay disappointment is that trapping a corpse with a springrazor and then picking it up automatically retrieves the springrazor. I was planning on having some serious fun with thrown booby traps, but alas.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Springrazors are too amazing of a concept and item to encourage non-lethal play for my first playthrough. I only do non-lethal to try to keep my chaos down, but if I can springrazor, I do it. The kennels in the first mission? Holy poo poo, chunks of dogs and handlers everywhere. Then I found the caged rabid dog and was like, "Oh. Could've just had him go bananas. Oh well."

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:psyduck: How are you guys managing to spend so much time on these missions. I'm 5 hours in and up to the masquerade ball but thats doing a non-lethal run and finding every rune.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
So I ran into a target again later in the game that I took out non-lethally: the high overseer, turned into a weeper, around where I regained my stuff from the assassins. Even had a note lamenting losing everything, how did it go wrong, etc. This game!

Edit: Also, I had no idea about the voice talent in this game. Susan Sarandon was granny rags? Never would guessed.

Huntsekker fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 11, 2012

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

S.T.C.A. posted:

Springrazors are too amazing of a concept and item to encourage non-lethal play for my first playthrough.

Theres so many amazing ways to kill people in general that I decided to just be a murdering psychopath in my first playthrough. All you really need is blink to go on a rampage, but its too fun to come up with creative ways to kill. (4th target spoilers) You're supposed to infiltrate that party and uncover the real target, but I just barged in the front door and started summoning swarms to rats to devour everyone. Any guards that weren't being eaten were quickly gunned down or executed with the blood thirst power.

I actually feel too powerful now, even on hard. At this point I don't even need to sneak around. Next playthrough I'm definitely going to be trying ghost + pacifist + no powers except blink.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I feel like my play through has been this descent into ruthlessness. At first I was very careful to only knock people out. Then I let myself kill a couple of people because who is going to miss a few thugs anyway? Then I started to kill animals indiscriminately, grenading rats and shooting dogs in the head with darts. Now I'm barely pausing when I lead this person to the rats or cut that weeper's head off. I fully expect to be killing anyone who crosses my path by the end.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I actually wish the NPC and Guard AI was smarter. That is probably my biggest gripe. Like, I can move in what I would consider the path of vision of a guard and not be seen at all. I feel like if I was a guard I'd be able to see movement out of the corner of my eye, and these guys don't.

Also had to laugh at the end of the game during my lethal run, where boat guy drops you off at the fortress island, then says "You could be the worst of us all!", I killed him and threw him in the water. Then, during the credits, it shows Corvo standing over his grave. So cool.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Gyshall posted:

I actually wish the NPC and Guard AI was smarter. That is probably my biggest gripe. Like, I can move in what I would consider the path of vision of a guard and not be seen at all. I feel like if I was a guard I'd be able to see movement out of the corner of my eye, and these guys don't.

Also had to laugh at the end of the game during my lethal run, where boat guy drops you off at the fortress island, then says "You could be the worst of us all!", I killed him and threw him in the water. Then, during the credits, it shows Corvo standing over his grave. So cool.

Are you playing on very hard? Because I dunno about your experience, but they're pretty twitchy in mine.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
What bothers me about the guard AI is the same that has always bothered me in every stealth game. Two guards could be talking, I take out one of them, and as long as the other didn't see it actually happen, he doesn't give a poo poo that his buddy is suddenly gone missing.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Chillmatic posted:

What bothers me about the guard AI is the same that has always bothered me in every stealth game. Two guards could be talking, I take out one of them, and as long as the other didn't see it actually happen, he doesn't give a poo poo that his buddy is suddenly gone missing.

3Romeo posted:

Are you playing on very hard? Because I dunno about your experience, but they're pretty twitchy in mine.

Yup, this is happening to me on Very Hard. I walked into the... second floor? entrance of the Art Dealer's Apartment, where the two thugs are talking about the painting, and choked one out, grabbed him, blinked away, then dropped him, all mid-conversation without being noticed.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 11, 2012

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Living with detection is still proving quite hard, and the guards are alarmingly good at finding their unconscious friends. I also didn't think I'd do the non-lethal gimmicks for the mission targets on my first go, and yet I've just finished (mission 1) branding Campbell's face.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Shumagorath posted:

Living with detection is still proving quite hard, and the guards are alarmingly good at finding their unconscious friends. I also didn't think I'd do the non-lethal gimmicks for the mission targets on my first go, and yet I've just finished (mission 1) branding Campbell's face.

I did the same thing as you and I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't get to chat with Campbell before or after branding him. Nor have I heard what happened to him afterwards, though it can't have been good. Maybe it'll come up later in the game.

Still loving this game to pieces. That level design :allears:

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I think I found out what happens to Campbell if you don't kill him. Near the end of the game, I ran into a Weeper who looks just like him. He was in the area where Corvo's gear is thrown.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
gently caress! My max difficulty run has been ruined by the fact my settings keep reverting due to being in offline mode and I didn't notice. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
The loving guard AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtuWhH2Kn8

Some guy falls 50 feet and splats right in front of guard -> HE HEARD SOMETHING :downs: -> Decides to ask for help and take a piss right then and there while his buddies walk over.

:downsbravo:

• Locked thread