Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

jyrque posted:

Since the box itself has been photographed to this thread time after time, I'll share the intro screen of DVD one:

I'm actually really happy with how the menus turned out. I know DVD menus aren't a big deal, but I was expecting a one screen deal with little to no animation or flash. Thankfully, they put some actual work into them and the outcome is satisfying even though there aren't many to begin with. :)

jyrque posted:

Is it just my PS3 or are the episode subtitles really huge in size? Like physically huge on the screen.
They seem normal sized to me (I watch them on a Blu-Ray player). Could you get a picture of how they look? Also, the actual widescreen episodes like Wing of Madoola and Battle Golfer Yui have stretched subtitles, which is something that I don't think can be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Corridor posted:

Yeah... I'm glad that he's doing them, since I think ZG wasn't ever planning to, but there's a lot of things that jar. Like...

Arino: Whoa, he got even bigger than before!
Kan: Kraid gets even bigger than before.

It's nothing terrible or detrimental, just lots of little things. :( I guess ZG has spoiled me.

I can't speak for the translation quality, but I don't think he's good at doing the actual subtitle parts. This episode, he gives every person a different color text, and for some reason, it's more confusing than when just uses yellow or white. Especially since sometimes when Kan (red) speaks, there's red text on the screen, which he also subtitles in red, and now you're confused. And then he does the layering of subtitles, where if a character is speaking, and it is broken up in Japanese, but the other person interjects to acknowledge that they understand each part, but it does form one sentence, he'll write it out as one sentence and put the interjections on top of the text. It just makes it a little harder to follow.

It's just advice from a subtitle reader to the subtitler. That's all.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Corridor posted:

Yeah... I'm glad that he's doing them, since I think ZG wasn't ever planning to

SAGCCX has been using those Virtual Console episodes as translation tests for anyone interested in helping out our team because they're so short and make good samples. That's the only reason I haven't touched any of them.
ETA: Nintendo Channel, not Virtual Console. Though he does play VC games.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 12, 2012

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I finally got my DVD's delivered here too and immediately started with Ninja Gaiden (haven't seen any Kotaku episodes previously). And man, can it get any better than this? It's such a great episode filled with excitement and disappointment from a game that's really merciless with its difficulty. The disbelief when Arino beats a final boss only to realize it's not the last one (twice, for that matter) is always so funny to watch. And you just gotta love the teamwork of the guys here.

About the DVD quality: I was missing the segments, but other than that I have nothing to complain about. Hopefully people will pick the DVD up so that we might have more releases in the future.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

OrochiKiyo posted:

I wouldn't put much stock in SvC Chaos' localization anyway, it was a typical SNKglish translation. Mind you, none of the lines approach the nuttiness of "Your bloody kill I wish to realize" or "All creature will die and all things will be broken. That's the law of Samurai!", but still.

I put tons of stock into SNK translations. Amazing returns, every time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

rdbbb posted:

I put tons of stock into SNK translations. Amazing returns, every time.

With of course the exception of Crystalis, which is strangely not insane. I mean, it is insane, but not because of the translation.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Azazell0 posted:

I finally got my DVD's delivered here too and immediately started with Ninja Gaiden (haven't seen any Kotaku episodes previously). And man, can it get any better than this?

Mighty Bomb Jack.

Last night, my friends came over, and I put on that episode. Well, I forgot that they got not only the two episodes that the game was spread over, but also the live challenge. Meaning I subjected my friends to a feature length presentation of Arino playing this massively unfair game.

Then we watched the vice-presidential debates.

That's how you know who your true friends are.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I was browsing some of the videos from the Lets Play Wanking Session 2011 (a series of fake LP trailers to make fun of the "Lets Play Convention" a few years ago), and I totally forgot Random Stranger submitted a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1B8ULGZzyY

This explains everything. :allears:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Cemetry Gator posted:

Mighty Bomb Jack.

Last night, my friends came over, and I put on that episode. Well, I forgot that they got not only the two episodes that the game was spread over, but also the live challenge. Meaning I subjected my friends to a feature length presentation of Arino playing this massively unfair game.

That's how you know who your true friends are.

So are you guys still talking?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

miscellaneous14 posted:

I was browsing some of the videos from the Lets Play Wanking Session 2011 (a series of fake LP trailers to make fun of the "Lets Play Convention" a few years ago), and I totally forgot Random Stranger submitted a video.

I'm really curious as to what the song that's used in the video is from.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

I just wish there was a Japanese ferry driving simulator to go with it. Also that my copy of Jet de Go! had arrived when I made the video...

Uznare posted:

I'm really curious as to what the song that's used in the video is from.

It's song played over the menus for Railfan: Chicago.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

miscellaneous14 posted:

I was totally on board (:v:) with that bus sim game until I saw how creepy the passengers are. Get off my bus! Seriously though, how is it compared to say, a train sim?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I was totally on board (:v:) with that bus sim game until I saw how creepy the passengers are. Get off my bus! Seriously though, how is it compared to say, a train sim?

Extremely similar though with more control (obviously). You've got to carefully obey traffic laws while managing to navigate some tiny streets. Sometimes someone will signal a stop or you'll see someone waiting by the curb so you'll have to make those stops but others you can just go past. You also have to keep on schedule through the whole route. There's several routes in the game that go by popular landmarks and you can drive these routes at different times of day with different traffic patterns for each of them. The other thing you have to worry about is playing the announcement for the next stop. :v:

The camera isn't the best (I think I left it in the only usable view for most of the video). It also uses the pressure sensitivity on the PS2 controller for the accelerator which was not a really good feature of the controller.

The biggest downside compared to something like the Railfan or Train Simulator series (the games, not the genre) is that the 3D graphics are pretty crude and except for the famous locations things look fairly similar. The video in the other games might not be wonderfully implemented but I enjoy seeing the real scenery.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Every debate should be watching the candidates attempt to beat 53 Stations of the Tokaido (which I watched last night on the DVDs... Such a great episode... :)) or Mystery of Atlantis to see how they are under pressure. :v:

Also, Random Stranger's video finally made me cave and install Train Simulator 2013 on Steam just so I can attempt to act like Arino playing Go By Train. Also, I guess the game gets upgraded for free since I bought the 2012 edition during the Steam summer sale, so that's a nice little feature for a game with over $1,000 of DLC available.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

RadicalR posted:

So are you guys still talking?

I haven't talked to him online yet today...

So as of 9:00 PM, no. But that's probably because his mind is blown.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Cemetry Gator posted:

I haven't talked to him online yet today...

So as of 9:00 PM, no. But that's probably because his mind is blown.

Welp. Looks like it's time for you to find some new friends. :ohdear:

...to spread GCCX to! :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That Random Stranger video almost makes me want to see an LP of Densha De Go. Although you'd have to fill all that train driving with some insightful commentary about the rail line or something.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Yeah, Japanese sim games are weirdly engrossing. One of my recent favourites is the "I Am An Air Traffic Controller" series. If you like chaos management games, I can't recommend it enough. Arino would love it too.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Zeether posted:

That Random Stranger video almost makes me want to see an LP of Densha De Go. Although you'd have to fill all that train driving with some insightful commentary about the rail line or something.

how about re-releasing the GCCX ep with just a bunch of screen-filling translation notes

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

The reason I chose that for the joke trailer is because they'd be terrible games for an LP and I was mocking the tendency of some people making LP's to pick the worst games to demonstrate.

PkerUNO posted:

Yeah, Japanese sim games are weirdly engrossing. One of my recent favourites is the "I Am An Air Traffic Controller" series. If you like chaos management games, I can't recommend it enough. Arino would love it too.

I'll have to try out the DS one since it was released here...

rdbbb posted:

how about re-releasing the GCCX ep with just a bunch of screen-filling translation notes

There wasn't enough text on the screen already for you in that episode?

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

The reason I chose that for the joke trailer is because they'd be terrible games for an LP and I was mocking the tendency of some people making LP's to pick the worst games to demonstrate.

I'd watch your LP of any train sim, twice.
That trailer got me pumped up to provide some economical mass transportation.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
That sim trailer made me want to dig around in the cupboard for my Railfan games. I'd also like to note that I had a really good night once drunk as buggery with a few mates playing Tokyo Bus Guide 2. These were people who like playing GTA/FPS and the rest of the detritus that makes modern gaming so boring, yet they all had a killer time simulating drunk-driving a bus in Japan.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Random Stranger posted:

It also uses the pressure sensitivity on the PS2 controller for the accelerator which was not a really good feature of the controller.

The PS2 has pressure sensitivity? :aaa:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PureRok posted:

The PS2 has pressure sensitivity? :aaa:

Yep, but pretty much nothing uses it (just like the original Xbox pads). Off the top of my head... Metal Gear Solid and Mad Maestro.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I want to say at least one GTA used pressure sensitivity for vehicle acceleration, but it's been years since I played one.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Gutcruncher posted:

Yep, but pretty much nothing uses it (just like the original Xbox pads). Off the top of my head... Metal Gear Solid and Mad Maestro.

Gran Turismo's big thing was that it used that feature "well".

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

I want to say at least one GTA used pressure sensitivity for vehicle acceleration, but it's been years since I played one.

Mobygames says that GTA III and San Andreas both used it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Myron posted:

Mobygames says that GTA III and San Andreas both used it.

I can confirm that San Andreas used it, because I remember messing around with the speed just to go "neat" at being able to control the car's speed with X by just barely pressing it down. Then I'd floor the gas and forget all about it.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Okami also used it when you did your brush work. The harder your pressed, the thicker the line.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Random Stranger posted:

I'll have to try out the DS one since it was released here...

I've only tried the PSP and PC games, but I want to get the DS version at some point. The PC version is hard because you actually have to avoid planes crashing in the sky, the PSP version is hard because the pilots are so bloody impatient. There is an English PC version of Tokyo Haneda available, but I'm not sure how hard that is to get now.

Jest3 posted:

I'd watch your LP of any train sim, twice.
That trailer got me pumped up to provide some economical mass transportation.

Also this. But not Railfan Taiwan High Speed Rail because I fear that would be two hours of pure "so... did you see the game last night?" awkwardness.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
I gotta admit I'm kinda glad Microsoft dropped it on the face buttons on the 360, because those face buttons never have any real travel distance, making it hard to press them lightly.

Also, I was watching the Shiren episode and while I actually did like it myself, given that -- according to gamefaqs at least -- the game saves data automatically after every move, why not save at a safe floor (i.e., villages and whatnot), clone the game save like in that one trick, and resume from there after a miss?

I mean, sure, it takes away most of the tension, but they spent like 30+ hours on that friggin thing.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

MUTEkI posted:

I gotta admit I'm kinda glad Microsoft dropped it on the face buttons on the 360, because those face buttons never have any real travel distance, making it hard to press them lightly.

Also, I was watching the Shiren episode and while I actually did like it myself, given that -- according to gamefaqs at least -- the game saves data automatically after every move, why not save at a safe floor (i.e., villages and whatnot), clone the game save like in that one trick, and resume from there after a miss?

I mean, sure, it takes away most of the tension, but they spent like 30+ hours on that friggin thing.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

That is is the reason why. It's no fun when he does things like use save tricks, level select codes, skill, all that kind of stuff.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I didn't know Amazon started putting ads on their mailing containers. I wouldn't have known about CODBLOPS 2 without that. Anyway, these DVDs are fantastic; and I especially dig the illustration on the inside cover.

EDIT: The only thing is, I wish the discs had the episodes printed on the label side.

redmercer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MUTEkI posted:

I don't think it's based on travel distance, at least it wasn't on the PS2. It was pure pressure sensitivity. You pressed the button down fully no matter what, you just pressed harder to go faster or whatever.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

FireCar posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

That is is the reason why. It's no fun when he does things like use save tricks, level select codes, skill, all that kind of stuff.

OK, OK, lemme put it another way: how did our very own "puzzle chief" never think of doing this himself?

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

redmercer posted:

COD BLOPS 2

AH, finally a name the translation team can use for Legend of the River King.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I tried searching the thread but couldn't find anything -- have you guys released the extra bits of Shiren the Wanderer yet?

I don't want to spoil anything about the episode proper, but that game looks way better than I thought it might. Nice drums in the soundtrack, too

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

MUTEkI posted:

OK, OK, lemme put it another way: how did our very own "puzzle chief" never think of doing this himself?
Because it's not in the spirit of the show, and even if the idea did come up, it could be among hours and hours of footage that didn't make it to the final cut of the episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redmercer posted:

I tried searching the thread but couldn't find anything -- have you guys released the extra bits of Shiren the Wanderer yet?

I don't want to spoil anything about the episode proper, but that game looks way better than I thought it might. Nice drums in the soundtrack, too

Not yet but they'll get done sometime. The first part has a great arcade trip recommended by Tani (who always seems to recommend the weirdest spots). The second part has a Waste of Color featuring a few games that have a real cult following (one of which came up in this thread a few days ago) and Emoto and Abe in tuxes accepting an award for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I was just thinking about something... If the DVDs do well enough and GCCX gets enough exposure, would there be a chance that Nintendo of America (and maybe Europe) would consider putting the translated 3DS mini-challenges on the Nintendo Video service? I know it might be a long shot, but I think it would be really neat to have the 3DS challenges in their full 3D glory (and maybe some exclusive challenges for games not on the Japanese 3DS eShop).

redmercer posted:

Random Stranger said he's taking a short break from releasing the rest of the cut segment videos.

Edit: Beaten for the second time today. :arghfist::(

Obeast fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 14, 2012