Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Strudel Man posted:

Never mentioned may be accurate - I don't remember there being any indication that such a person exists, unless I missed something.
The parentage of a royal heir is pretty drat important. If Emily was their illegitimate child, it should have come up at some point, and not left at the ramblings of one embittered, dying man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baron Bifford posted:

The parentage of a royal heir is pretty drat important. If Emily was their illegitimate child, it should have come up at some point, and not left at the ramblings of one embittered, dying man.
Well, we could suppose that from how actual historical monarchies have functioned, yes. The information presented about it in the gameworld is a bit sketchy, to say the least. I distinctly remember it being said, though, that Corvo was the only man close to the Empress, which seems as though it would rule out a Royal Consort, or at least a living one.

Pendleton was not the only one to hint in that direction.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Brainamp posted:

No, not until Obsidian is done with what they actually want to do.

I keep forgetting they have Project Eternity now. Maybe it's too early to say if that'll sell and I hope it does, but I have trouble believing it will no matter how good it is. I'm decidedly pessimistic about the whole thing.

gently caress, Arkane should just hire rope kid and Avellone to give them a seminar on reactivity in games and say they're "consulting" a la Wasteland 2. It would certainly soothe my raging nerd boner for Obsidian.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Re the effects of Chaos and Corvo. I took that as being something that fuels the influence of the Outsider on the city. On my low chaos, spare the targets run I seem to remember a late game conversation with him at a shrine that indicates that he was a little disappointed that you took his gift of powers and choose not to brutally destroy your enemies. I'd imagine he'd be pleased as punch with me if I was on a high chaos rampage through the city.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Captain Walker posted:

This game, more than anything, needs a really good postmortem that addresses the problems the game has and a 2016 sequel that corrects them. If only Bethesda knew an ambitious company that was skilled at making sequels to other people's IPs :allears:

As much as I love Obsidian, I don't think this is the kind of game for them to work with. Not that I don't think they'd do a fine job with theme and story and character (because they always do), but the scope of their ideas is much larger than a stealth-based game can easily assimilate.

The strength of their RPG design is that you can make even the dumbest character with the most worthless set of skills and complete their games (and wander through their worlds) on your own terms. That's an incredibly difficult design to implement, and they (generally) make it work.

Dishonored is best when it focuses on one thing: stealth. Yes, the combat's great, but it also makes the game quite a bit shorter. It rewards being patient and meticulous, and it's a great design that doesn't really work in a larger context because the information you glean from the world almost always comes parceled--either by eavesdropping, reading books, or finding notes. Like Thief (and in some respects, Half-Life), the story drives the world-building. That is, if you hear about some really awful place, some haunted place like Shalebridge or Ravenholm, you're gonna visit it. There's no option. In something like New Vegas, you can skip entire setpieces. Obsidian's strength is in a kind of...macro choice, I guess, where your actions change the theme. They're novels in game form. Dishonored, as much as I love it, is a whole different kind of animal. I'd love to see a synthesis between the two, but I dunno if it's actually possible, given the constraints of the industry.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 14, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

This game, more than anything, needs a really good postmortem that addresses the problems the game has and a 2016 sequel that corrects them. If only Bethesda knew an ambitious company that was skilled at making sequels to other people's IPs :allears:

That would be terrible. The company who actually made the game did a great job, they don't need to be kicked off and have a sequel farmed out to someone else. I like Obsidian but their fans are really the worst. "Well, this game has flaws? Give it to Obsidian! Obsidan's game has flaws? Well, we can overlook them/it's the publisher's fault/whatever."

Baron Bifford posted:

Whilst I enjoy a game world that reacts to the player's choices, the game takes it to an absurd level. It's as if Corvo is the spiritual center of the universe, with the world reflecting the growing darkness in his own soul. Somehow Corvo's way of operating can influence rat populations, the virulence of the plague, and the bloody weather. This storytelling style appears a lot in novels and movies but in an interactive game it feels a bit off.

This works if you don't take it literally as "Corvo's actions change the world." The world is not changing, you're just telling two different kinds of stories and your actions determine which story is being told. Either is a dark and depressing one where poo poo is getting worst or a slightly happier one where you have a would-be patsy assassin who rejects becoming a heartless killer. Corvo isn't literally making more rats appear by killing people, it is just that a story where Corvo is stabbing chambermaids to death is one where it isn't going to be a happy world.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 14, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How many missions are there in total? I think I'm nearing the end of the game based on who the target is. I've finished the party mission

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

How many missions are there in total? I think I'm nearing the end of the game based on who the target is. I've finished the party mission

You've got about 3 or so more "major" missions to go and some small stuff in-between.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ImpAtom posted:

That would be terrible. The company who actually made the game did a great job, they don't need to be kicked off and have a sequel farmed out to someone else. I like Obsidian but their fans are really the worst. "Well, this game has flaws? Give it to Obsidian! Obsidan's game has flaws? Well, we can overlook them/it's the publisher's fault/whatever."

You are not wrong. That's literally me. I, indeed, am the worst...and it's probably more likely than I care to admit that any attempt to combine this good game with Obsidian's style of good game would be a mess.

My goodness I have been on a streak of poorly thought out posts recently. Think I'll spend awhile just cooling off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

You are not wrong. That's literally me. I, indeed, am the worst...and it's probably more likely than I care to admit that any attempt to combine this good game with Obsidian's style of good game would be a mess.

My goodness I have been on a streak of poorly thought out posts recently. Think I'll spend awhile just cooling off.

Didn't mean to sound like an rear end, sorry. I just really think that (especially for a smaller developer) they did a great job here and I'd really like to see them get another shot at it in the future. It reminds me a lot of how I felt about Arkham Asylum that way and AC is one of my favorite games ever.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Baron Bifford posted:

It seems like they (Dunwallers? Islanders? Imperials? Whatever the demonym is) don't really care about parentage as long as one of the parents is the monarch (at least in the case of female monarchs; it might be different for male ones, since false paternity is much easier to manage than false maternity). It's fairly clear that nobody knows whose Emily's biological father is (Havelock's journal wonders if Emily's father really is Corvo), but it's also fairly clear that nobody cares.

Cycloneman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 14, 2012

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Just finished my first play through and started a new "Murder Everyone" run to see how high chaos changes things, and I have to tip my hat to Arkane. It's amazing.
I just got to the part in the first mission with the sick overseer in the bunk house. On Low chaos he asks his friends to kill him so he doesn't infect them. On high chaos they accuse him and kill him. :allears:

My take on the whole "how does my chaos rating change the city is just that having an assassin running around stabbing people causes massive panic in the populace. Not a perfect explanation, but it works for me.

Question: On the Flooded District mission when Blake tells you his plan he called me "The Butcher". I had a low chaos run going, but I had stabbed a few people. If you kill no one does he say something different?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ImpAtom posted:

This works if you don't take it literally as "Corvo's actions change the world." The world is not changing, you're just telling two different kinds of stories and your actions determine which story is being told. Either is a dark and depressing one where poo poo is getting worst or a slightly happier one where you have a would-be patsy assassin who rejects becoming a heartless killer. Corvo isn't literally making more rats appear by killing people, it is just that a story where Corvo is stabbing chambermaids to death is one where it isn't going to be a happy world.
Yeah, I get the idea, but it doesn't work for a game. A movie might cast a scary scene during a stormy night to add atmosphere, and it works because the audience dismisses it as coincidence. But in the game, you are warned how your actions will affect the world, and players will consciously avoid killing people in order to reduce the numbers of rat swarms and weepers they face. It's not a coincidence, but something that the player controls. I felt pretty annoyed when the game implied that everyone was acting like total dicks because of me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, I get the idea, but it doesn't work for a game. A movie might cast a scary scene during a stormy night to add atmosphere, and it works because the audience dismisses it as coincidence. But in the game, you are warned how your actions will affect the world, and players will consciously avoid killing people in order to reduce the numbers of rat swarms and weepers they face. It's not a coincidence, but something that the player controls. I felt pretty annoyed when the game implied that everyone was acting like total dicks because of me.
v:shobon:v I kinda like it.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

thetrin posted:

Also, while I suspected it from the very start of the game, there is evidence that (relationship spoilers) Emily is Corvo's daughter, and that the Empress and Corvo were romantically involved. In high chaos, when the three conspirators turn on each other at Kingsparrow, a dying Pendleton says as much. Interesting that Havelock, Martin and Pendleton don't turn on each other in low chaos and actually regret what they've done. Somehow, your non-lethal actions make them start to question themselves.

What? In my no-kill run, Havelock had already poisoned Martin and Pendleton when I got to the lighthouse. Havelock himself was completely unrepentant but knew he was beaten when he saw Corvo. There must be some factor besides chaos level influencing the finale.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How were you supposed to do granny rag's quest? You can't actually get to that area at all that it says the doctor is in. You can get to the distillery but not the other area. Can you do it in the next area?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I prefer it actually. I dislike it when the tone of a game doesn't match how I'm playing it. I get a lot more aggravated when I'm asked to pretend everything is terrible in a game where I'm non-lethally solving every problem and curing puppy cancer along the way. Games that are unwilling to alter things while offering the player's choice tend to feel pretty out of place.

The idea of a world that matches the tone of your playstyle is actually one I consider superior for a game, if anything. I like the idea that playing a grim game gives you a grim world. The only thing I'd wish is that there was more variation than simply lethal/nonlethal.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 14, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How were you supposed to do granny rag's quest? You can't actually get to that area at all that it says the doctor is in. You can get to the distillery but not the other area. Can you do it in the next area?
Hm? The doctor's house is on the left side of the main road, proceeding from the dock. You can indeed get into it. The third story door may(?) start out locked, but the other two should be unlocked.

Fat Cormac posted:

What? In my no-kill run, Havelock had already poisoned Martin and Pendleton when I got to the lighthouse. Havelock himself was completely unrepentant but knew he was beaten when he saw Corvo. There must be some factor besides chaos level influencing the finale.
I strongly suspect that the same thing happened to both of you. How repentant Havelock is is a matter of interpretation, and it's true that Martin, Pendleton and Havelock don't turn on one another...until the latter poisons the two former.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 14, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

She said it was way behind in some road or something behind the overseer's place.

I'm at the twins now and her place is locked down.

I couldn't find a way to get there.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

She said it was way behind in some road or something behind the overseer's place.

I'm at the twins now and her place is locked down.

I couldn't find a way to get there.
You may have misinterpreted what she said. It's not behind the overseer's palace, it's on the main road. Just have to walk in the door.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Strudel Man is right, you can totally get in the doctors place as early as the first mission. If you are at the twins, you can backtrack past the light door onto the street. Coming from that direction, it will be on your right. It's on the street with tracks running down the middle and two mirror image grandiose buildings facing each other on either side of the street.

Behind can mean many things depending on your point of view, but yeah those would be pretty lovely directions considering where she is when she tells you.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 14, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

You may have misinterpreted what she said. It's not behind the overseer's palace, it's on the main road. Just have to walk in the door.

no the map says it's behind the overseer's place. I'm looking on the docks on the left and I can't find any entrance at all.

Oh what the gently caress, the entrance is in the middle on the left on the ground level after the first forcefield. I never went there because I was avoiding all the guards :|

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Avoided this thread like the plague to avoid all spoilers.

I loved ghosting/going non lethal in Thief and Deus Ex.

I have heard that the ending depends on how many people you kill

1. Is this true?

2. Only "bad guys" or anyone?

3. Is there a certain number of people you can kill to get the "best" ending or you just do not kill anyone?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Diogines posted:

Avoided this thread like the plague to avoid all spoilers.

I loved ghosting/going non lethal in Thief and Deus Ex.

I have heard that the ending depends on how many people you kill

1. Is this true?

2. Only "bad guys" or anyone?

3. Is there a certain number of people you can kill to get the "best" ending or you just do not kill anyone?

The ending depends on your Chaos, which is mostly influenced by kills. You can kill a few people and still get a Low Chaos ending.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The ending depends on your Chaos, which is mostly influenced by kills. You can kill a few people and still get a Low Chaos ending.

Ah, thank good Goon Sir! Just the sort of information I wanted.

What is the maximum chaos I can get away with for the low chaos ending? Does anything reduce your chaos over the course of the game?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Diogines posted:

Ah, thank good Goon Sir! Just the sort of information I wanted.

What is the maximum chaos I can get away with for the low chaos ending? Does anything reduce your chaos over the course of the game?

From what I can tell, chaos seems to empty out into a big sum number, which determines the ending based on how high/low it is. It's elastic enough to allow for mistakes or moderate dicking about, so if you spend a mission killing a few dozen people, you might still get a low chaos ending if you lay low for later missions.

I don't know what the threshold for high-low chaos is. It's probably based on the amount of enemies in a mission. I'd bet that at the very least you can't kill more than 20% of dudes every mission without getting high chaos.

Certain side missions, according to the game's wiki, can lower existing chaos though.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 14, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nculpYM-_7w

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I prefer it actually. I dislike it when the tone of a game doesn't match how I'm playing it. I get a lot more aggravated when I'm asked to pretend everything is terrible in a game where I'm non-lethally solving every problem and curing puppy cancer along the way. Games that are unwilling to alter things while offering the player's choice tend to feel pretty out of place.

The idea of a world that matches the tone of your playstyle is actually one I consider superior for a game, if anything. I like the idea that playing a grim game gives you a grim world. The only thing I'd wish is that there was more variation than simply lethal/nonlethal.
It's nice if the game's mood responds to your actions, I just wished the effect was more logical. Instead, it's just Corvo's bad karma infecting everything.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Wait, there's a map?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It may just be me, but it seems like (spoilers for after Lady Boyle's Mission) Daud's crew has a limited peripheral vision (because of their masks) compared to the regular guards. If so, that's a nice, nice touch. Resource, can you verify that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else jump into the tub with the lady after she say you can't? She jumps out and its an auto fail due to irreconcilable differences with an ally ha.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

It's nice if the game's mood responds to your actions, I just wished the effect was more logical. Instead, it's just Corvo's bad karma infecting everything.

If it was more direct then it would only increase the "Corvo is the center of the universe" stuff. I'd rather just have it be "you're a lovely person in a lovely world" as opposed to "the entire world is lovely through direct in-universe traceable action on your party." Both ways reflect player action but one goes too far for me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 14, 2012

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Does killing rats have any sort of beneficial effect?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Do the deaths of the traitors have a disproportionately large effect on Chaos? Or is there no difference between them and killing a nameless cop?

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

Diogines posted:

Does killing rats have any sort of beneficial effect?
You can sometimes cut a swarm down before they eat you alive, but in general rats respawn very quickly. You can't clear them to prevent them from finding bodies, for example.

[e] Also I think I saw a bone charm that gives you adrenaline on rat kills?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Do the deaths of the traitors have a disproportionately large effect on Chaos? Or is there no difference between them and killing a nameless cop?

I don't have exact stats but I think they're more influential than regular cops but less than civilians/innocents.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone else jump into the tub with the lady after she say you can't? She jumps out and its an auto fail due to irreconcilable differences with an ally ha.

Something hilariously creepy about that: If you walk in and turn around like "Whoops, sorry!", then close the door and leave, you can use dark vision and see her staring at you accusingly through the wall no mater where you go! Also she apparently wears a skirt and heels in the tub.

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
Another good Chaos thing is how dark Emily goes. Unless she does that anyway. I've been murdering everyone and she's started coming out with some warped things.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
I'm another one who thinks that the game wasn't large enough to do the interesting setting justice. I noticed that there's no such thing as dresses or skirts, men and women pretty much wear the same sort of clothing which hints at a certain amount of gender equality that isn't reflected in the NPC roles. It seems like there could have been female guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boogoose posted:

I'm another one who thinks that the game wasn't large enough to do the interesting setting justice. I noticed that there's no such thing as dresses or skirts, men and women pretty much wear the same sort of clothing which hints at a certain amount of gender equality that isn't reflected in the NPC roles. It seems like there could have been female guards.

The fact that dresses don't exist (which is awesome, by the way) doesn't necessarily mean gender equality. It means there is a different sense of fashion and style. There's certainly more equality than not, but it doesn't necessarily mesh with there being total gender equality. I'm pretty sure a few of the books still hint at gender inequality existing in certain places.

I really love the fashion design in the game though. The fact that they didn't just go "hey, here are dresses, that's what women wear, right?" is just keen. :allears: In fact, aside from the brothel, they avoid creepy stupid cheesecake outfits entirely. It's awesome.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 14, 2012

• Locked thread