Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Mystic Quest has a lot of grinding and downtime unless you are doing a speed run, and really would be more suited to a screenshot LP. Otherwise you will likely end up having an entire update or two just sitting in a battlefield, and it'll be boring as hell. Not just for the viewers either. You'll quickly run out of things to talk about while repeatedly killing the same few encounters.

Hell, I could say the same thing about almost every 8/16-bit JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EhPlusGamer
Oct 18, 2012
After the first few video's, I actually cut out individual fights unless there is something of interest to it (new encounter, I die, etc).

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
It's interesting because you actually don't sound obnoxious and horrible pre-voice acting, but that doesn't carry the fact that you're talking over a turn based RPG. I barely want to watch myself play RPGs, and I sure as hell don't want to watch someone else play them.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Reposted from end of last page:

quote:

I watched Episode 5 for an idea of how the LP has evolved. It's well-edited, and your commentary is fun to listen to (to the point that I'm more inclined to nitpick about technical inaccuracies -- the potion bottle icon means that the tier-2 armor grants poison immunity, not improved magic) but the LP still has plenty of room for improvement. Like everyone is saying, don't voiceact the dialogue, and also, try not to be too boring. When you started singing about bottles of maple syrup, it really gave me the feeling that you didn't have much to say, and were just trying to remind the audience that :canada:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Posting an in-progress LP isn't exactly bad, but you're telling us you're only 5 episodes in and you needed to buy new equipment. This is fine if your videos are actually good, but the new equipment is not a good indicator there. You should probably start over.

This is closer to what I meant to say in your actual thread. It speaks to the perception of how much effort you're willing to put in. If you start an LP knowing you haven't ironed out all the technical issues, or discover something early on and aren't willing to re-record your footage, it gives off the impression that you care more about Internet Fame than quality control. MQ is babby's first Final Fantasy, so I can totally understand not wanting to replay the first however long those other four videos are. But if you're making something you want to take some pride in, then having that something wrong in your first four videos is going to (or should) bug the crap out of you.

(I'm assuming that the difference in quality is significant -- if you didn't think we'd notice, you wouldn't have said anything, right?)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I'm not going to watch this because I don't care about final fantasy, but just from the post I can tell you a few things. First, make an actual OP. Two sentences about the game is not enough and your links are terrible. Posting an in-progress LP isn't exactly bad, but you're telling us you're only 5 episodes in and you needed to buy new equipment. This is fine if your videos are actually good, but the new equipment is not a good indicator there. You should probably start over. Lastly, do not put your name in the thread title. It's a personal pet peeve of mine but it makes you look like you are LPing more for yourself and to grow your "brand" and less for the actual game.

In summary, you should probably lurk more and see what other people do around here.
People are kinda blowing out of proportion his comments regarding getting better equipment; if you watch the videos, even the ones at the start, you'll hear that his mic is actually pretty much fine. I think he was more trying to point out that he got better equipment rather than saying his initial setup was bad. But yea, still kinda stand by the point I said before. You really shouldn't narrate or voice act anything; summarize what's going on or point out things out interest. There's also the bumpers and the feeling that you're really trying to sell yourself before the game; I know you mentioned some worry about Blip eliminating your videos if you don't set it up like a show but that's why you have multiple video hosts.

Also there is the problem of giving us way too much before you even start the thread; a lot of the reason why you have the thread is to facilitate discussion and having people go through 5 hours of video all at once is something most people aren't going to want to do. I'd say something about turn based RPG's not being good video material, but this is honestly one of the less text heavy and most simplistic Final Fantasy I can think of so that can go either way. Really though, there's already been two LP's of it on the forums and I'm not sure what your's is going to really add.

EhPlusGamer
Oct 18, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I watched Episode 5 for an idea of how the LP has evolved. It's well-edited, and your commentary is fun to listen to (to the point that I'm more inclined to nitpick about technical inaccuracies -- the potion bottle icon means that the tier-2 armor grants poison immunity, not improved magic) but the LP still has plenty of room for improvement. Like everyone is saying, don't voiceact the dialogue, and also, try not to be too boring. When you started singing about bottles of maple syrup, it really gave me the feeling that you didn't have much to say, and were just trying to remind the audience that

Why thank you! I'll be honest, I always thought that was the poison indicator, but I learned an interesting fact in doing research prior to playing the game. Evidently the claw series augments your magic, which is never mentioned anywhere. It's just one of those things (like how your allies stats don't accurately reflect them until you save and soft reset), so in lieu of a lack of information and the manual, I made an assumption.

As for the singing, it was an idea I had. I was going to jump cut leaving the dungeon since I wipe everything out as I go and it's just a tour through empty halls, but then I had the thought of implying I was occupying the walk by candidly singing about Maple Syrup. And yes, I'll admit, I am trying to build up a theme with the Canadian references; not because I actually believe them (I am Canadian obviously), but more as a gimmick. As for the narration, I've had some people tell me they like the voice acting and some people tell me they don't care for it. Right now it's about even, maybe a little more in favor than opposed.

And yes, I mentioned this in the original thread: My recording setup was a Soundblaster X-FI and a decent compressor microphone. It wasn't bad, and certainly not a webcam mic or headset. I decided that I wanted to put more effort into the project and invest some money in audio hardware, and get an actual studio quality sound out of it; which I think I've managed to come pretty close to doing without breaking the bank - Just a TASCAM US-122MKII Interface with Phantom power and a Shure SM58 microphone. I see the point about it not looking the best for the LP; it was more to reflect that it had happened.

EhPlusGamer fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 18, 2012

Myrrar
Nov 6, 2009

EhPlusGamer posted:

Why thank you! I'll be honest, I always thought that was the poison indicator, but I learned an interesting fact in doing research prior to playing the game. Evidently the claw series augments your magic, which is never mentioned anywhere. It's just one of those things (like how your allies stats don't accurately reflect them until you save and soft reset), so in lieu of a lack of information and the manual, I made an assumption.

As for the singing, it was an idea I had. I was going to jump cut leaving the dungeon since I wipe everything out as I go and it's just a tour through empty halls, but then I had the thought of implying I was occupying the walk by candidly singing about Maple Syrup. And yes, I'll admit, I am trying to build up a theme with the Canadian references; not because I actually believe them (I am Canadian obviously), but more as a gimmick. As for the narration, I've had some people tell me they like the voice acting and some people tell me they don't care for it. Right now it's about even, maybe a little more in favor than opposed.

And yes, I mentioned this in the original thread: My recording setup was a Soundblaster X-FI and a decent compressor microphone. It wasn't bad, and certainly not a webcam mic or headset. I decided that I wanted to put more effort into the project and invest some money in audio hardware, and get an actual studio quality sound out of it; which I think I've managed to come pretty close to doing without breaking the bank - Just a TASCAM US-122MKII Interface with Phantom power and a Shure SM58 microphone. I see the point about it not looking the best for the LP; it was more to reflect that it had happened.

From what I have seen here, voice acting is not really something that is generally accepted or liked. I don't like it, and many others here have said they don't like it. I assume you came here because you want to be a part of this LP community, so it might be worth it to take a step back and analyze whether your voice acting is going to add so much to the LP that it absolutely has to stay in.

EhPlusGamer
Oct 18, 2012
Absolutely correct. And if that is the consensus, I can certainly cut it out.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

EhPlusGamer posted:

I am trying to build up a theme with the Canadian references; not because I actually believe them (I am Canadian obviously), but more as a gimmick.

"Canadian stereotypes" is the best gimmick you can think of?

EhPlusGamer
Oct 18, 2012
I didn't say it was the only one. But it is something that, at the very least, I haven't seen done before.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

VanillaKid posted:

"Canadian stereotypes" is the best gimmick you can think of?

As a fellow Canadian, let me say this: Do not do this. I hate this gimmick, and it's not too late to stop. YOU'RE DISAPPOINTING TRUDEAU, EHPLUS.

Being Canadian isn't exotic, interesting, or funny enough to build a gimmick on.

Also gimmicks are stupid and for people with no personality.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

Being Canadian isn't exotic, interesting, or funny enough to build a gimmick on.
Somebody needs to do an LP as a Quebecois separatist. "The fact that you can't just use a Phoenix Down on Aerith is almost as ridiculous as Quebec not being an independent nation!"

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Skippy Granola posted:

Now, being French-Canadian? Whole 'nother story.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Alright, so I'm going to preface this by saying 1) I watched like half of video 5 so this may not pertain to every single video and 2) Mystic Quest is a game very near and dear to my heart, to the point where I LP'd it myself (I won't plug my own poo poo, but it's on the archive if you want to check it out).

I'll start with the good; the video is technically competent, and your commentary is informative. I like the cut ins with the bosses to explain their attacks/weaknesses/etc. On the flip side, your voice acting is atrocious and needs to go, and building your gimmick around being Canadian is really goddamn stupid. Plus, there's the issue of doing a VLP of a turn based SNES RPG. There's a very small group of people who are going to watch that in the first place, and the group that will watch 40+ minute videos is smaller still. If you're dead set on video, I wouldn't go much longer than 20-25 minutes in a video unless there's a good stopping point right on the horizon. Finally, as someone else brought up, you don't seem to have everything down, factwise. The Noble Armor granting poison resistance is a prime example.

If you did your homework before recording, and chopped it into smaller videos, it could work. But I'm still not sure what you're exactly bringing to the table, aside from the video format. I covered pretty much everything in the game, including various glitches and bugs. I don't want to dissuade you from doing the LP, just to think about what you can bring to the table to make it worthwhile.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

With a game as slow-paced as a JRPG, I'm gonna have to echo what others said. Go with the screenshot format. I recommend using VirtualDubMod to pull select screenshots from your raw video - this will take longer than just grabbing screenshots directly, but you're far more likely to miss great screens by a fraction of a second that way. And honestly, with the informative nature of the LP, a lot of things are liable to go in one ear and out the other during what is, honestly, rather monotonous gameplay. It's just all going to blur together.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 18, 2012

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

Tell that to Rick Moranis.

Myrrar
Nov 6, 2009

Artix74 posted:

Alright, so I'm going to preface this by saying 1) I watched like half of video 5 so this may not pertain to every single video and 2) Mystic Quest is a game very near and dear to my heart, to the point where I LP'd it myself (I won't plug my own poo poo, but it's on the archive if you want to check it out).

I'll start with the good; the video is technically competent, and your commentary is informative. I like the cut ins with the bosses to explain their attacks/weaknesses/etc. On the flip side, your voice acting is atrocious and needs to go, and building your gimmick around being Canadian is really goddamn stupid. Plus, there's the issue of doing a VLP of a turn based SNES RPG. There's a very small group of people who are going to watch that in the first place, and the group that will watch 40+ minute videos is smaller still. If you're dead set on video, I wouldn't go much longer than 20-25 minutes in a video unless there's a good stopping point right on the horizon. Finally, as someone else brought up, you don't seem to have everything down, factwise. The Noble Armor granting poison resistance is a prime example.

If you did your homework before recording, and chopped it into smaller videos, it could work. But I'm still not sure what you're exactly bringing to the table, aside from the video format. I covered pretty much everything in the game, including various glitches and bugs. I don't want to dissuade you from doing the LP, just to think about what you can bring to the table to make it worthwhile.

I love Mystic Quest. I would watch a VLP of a turn based SNES RPG because I already have played the game, I love it, I love its soundtrack, etc. There may be others like me but odds are with a VLP you might have some difficulty attracting new people to the game, and to your LP. Just due to the way Mystic Quest is, you might be able to get away with it as others have mentioned, but be careful not to bore the viewers.

Artix won't plug his own poo poo, but here is the link to his archived SSLP of this game: http://lparchive.org/Mystic-Quest-(by-Artix74)

It's well done. Take a look and hopefully it will become clear why a SSLP for games like this works so well. I could read that whole thing through relatively quickly. The parts that are missing are not really essential to the overall experience of the game. Doing video is going to prolong the LP. If you're sure you can fill that added time with relevant commentary, then go for it. Either way, I honestly am looking forward to what you come up with after you create a proper OP, and take some of this criticism into consideration.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Skippy Granola posted:

As a fellow Canadian, let me say this: Do not do this. I hate this gimmick, and it's not too late to stop. YOU'RE DISAPPOINTING TRUDEAU, EHPLUS.

It can't be a proper Canadian gimmick anyway, he hasn't apologised for anything.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Sorry, you're right.

Look, the fact is, being Canadian hasn't been cool since 1995's Canadian Bacon. Or, I guess, since 2006's Bon Cop, Bad Cop, but even so you're behind the curve for a gimmick. The trick is to find the Next Big Thing after scare cams and shrieking and go with that, so you're a trendsetter, instead of some dude with a charming accent and socialized medicine.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
As far as I'm concerned nothing is cooler than government issued hockey sticks and bagged milk, but I keep my nationalist opinions to myself.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Myrrar posted:

I love Mystic Quest. I would watch a VLP of a turn based SNES RPG because I already have played the game, I love it, I love its soundtrack, etc. There may be others like me but odds are with a VLP you might have some difficulty attracting new people to the game, and to your LP. Just due to the way Mystic Quest is, you might be able to get away with it as others have mentioned, but be careful not to bore the viewers.

I'd just like to stress that these are 45-minute videos. Nobody is going to watch these. I decided to skip to about the middle of the video, where you come to a dead end with a Lamia, kill it, and then head back to the previous area in the space of about ten seconds. Then you say to note the area in the center, and I have to rewind twenty seconds to watch that portion of video again because you were on that screen for all of five seconds. I'm still not sure which area you're talking about because you're always moving and you're always talking about something that's behind us.

Seriously, don't do video.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

As far as I'm concerned nothing is cooler than government issued hockey sticks and bagged milk, but I keep my nationalist opinions to myself.

Aw you guys get gubmint sticks? We don't have either of those out west...

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

I remember saying "zed" without a distinctly European accent so everyone freaked out not knowing Canadians say it that way. So the gimmick can work, if you work it accidentally. Or just talk about Thanksgiving, it was recently. Then top it all off with a spot on Psychedelic Eyeball impersonation (it's k guys, we're all Canadians here) and bam, the gimmick works. Just please wait patiently for my next update. It'll keep you from paying all those extra loonies for a WHL game due to the lockout. Just keep in mind if I don't get those extra fourteen million dollars, my agent will lock out all my LP videos for a year and you'll have to outsource to the European ones to hear people say "zed" over a video game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Suspicious Dish posted:

You can also do minimal voice commentary. Nidoking and Bobbin Threadbare both successfully did adventure games as voice commentary, so maybe they could provide some tips.

This, I can do.

1) Yes, you need to learn to leave long enough pauses in the action to say something. This comes with practice. The important thing is to rehearse what you want to say while recording the game, then leave an extra couple of seconds depending on how long the pause was. It's much smoother to say your peace and have the action pause a bit longer if you overestimated your speech than to find yourself awkwardly speeding up or having to drop talking points because you didn't leave yourself enough time - and unless you work with a script, which I don't, you'll always be a second or so late to your cues or saying something completely different from what you planned while playing.

2) Be prepared to do multiple takes of your commentary. This is one of the biggest advantages to post-commentary, surprisingly. Especially with a voiced game, you probably won't be talking very frequently, so it's possible to go back in post and re-record just portions of your commentary rather than having to scrap the whole track and start again, or shift portions of your commentary in time to match the gaps in the video if you're just a bit off, but I find myself discarding my first take more often than not. This is largely due to a failure to follow rule 3 closely enough...

3) Be sure to rewatch your video immediately before doing the commentary. Most of my mistakes are forgetting exactly what I did when and saying something so wrong that I can't salvage it. Sometimes I just keep talking over the game, say the right line, and fix it in post, but it's usually much easier to stop recording and try again when I have time. My increased devotion to this practice is why my videos have become so spaced out in time, when I used to be able to do several in a week.

4) Try to set goals for each video, both in duration and in what you hope to accomplish in the game. I think this is true of every game, but adventure games give you a bit more flexibility because you're controlling the story. Don't start a long conversation if the video's already running long, or put off a simple, anticlimactic task for the next video if it's shorter than your average.

5) More so than most games, and as has already been said upthread, let the game speak for itself. I tend to offer comments about the logic behind the puzzles, when it's not immediately obvious, and maybe some snarky responses to dialogue or character actions that don't make much sense. Some trivia about the game and its creators can be handy if you need to fill long spaces during a transition that can't reasonably be cut. That's probably just general advice for LP commentary, but it's really easy to get into a pattern of just describing what's happening in an adventure game. Summarizing the story at appropriate points, especially if the pieces are spaced out in your presentation, is a good tactic.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Nidoking, those are really, really solid advice. Thanks a lot for sharing them!!

Cleofis
Oct 18, 2012

If only they knew the things I could teach them, my life would be much easier.
I'm about to start a new LP soon and plan on doing it here on SA, but I've got a few questions related to it.

I know one of the rules is don't repost LPs you've done elsewhere, but I recently completed an LP and the only place I've really exposed it is youtube. Would making a thread dedicated to that be against that rule? Are LP threads for fresh LPs only?

Also my LP channel is actually a group of friends and I doing LPs and we're kinda new. I was hoping to get some general exposure to the channel and not just MY stuff. Is there a proper way to go about "pimping" a channel? Like adding a footnote to a new LP thread, something like "Also, check out my other LPs here: (LINK)"? And since my channel is actually a group of people, what's the policy on one person having multiple threads going at once? For instance, say I wanted to chronicle my LP and the LP of another person on the channel, would that be ok?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cleofis posted:

I know one of the rules is don't repost LPs you've done elsewhere, but I recently completed an LP and the only place I've really exposed it is youtube. Would making a thread dedicated to that be against that rule?

The rule is very clearly stated. I'm not sure how you have doubts about it, or can't answer your own question.

Cleofis posted:

Also my LP channel is actually a group of friends and I doing LPs and we're kinda new. I was hoping to get some general exposure to the channel and not just MY stuff. Is there a proper way to go about "pimping" a channel? Like adding a footnote to a new LP thread, something like "Also, check out my other LPs here: (LINK)"? And since my channel is actually a group of people, what's the policy on one person having multiple threads going at once? For instance, say I wanted to chronicle my LP and the LP of another person on the channel, would that be ok?

It would not. Don't pimp anything here. This is a community of creativeism, not a showcase of things that might interest people.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Cleofis posted:

I'm about to start a new LP soon and plan on doing it here on SA, but I've got a few questions related to it.

I know one of the rules is don't repost LPs you've done elsewhere, but I recently completed an LP and the only place I've really exposed it is youtube. Would making a thread dedicated to that be against that rule? Are LP threads for fresh LPs only?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Just stick to posting the new one. If people like it, they'll likely check out the older ones as well. Likewise, don't "pimp" your channel. If people like your videos, they'll go check out your channel on their own.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
The point of an LP thread is so that viewers can react through posts to new content as it gets released, and talk among themselves about it, as well as with the author if they decide to join in. Some have recordings done ahead of time, but these still release on a normal schedule (or at least something that might kind of resemble one), and were done specifically like that to be released in steps. Rehashing an LP you've already got on Youtube is just flat out self promotion.

If you want more viewers out of Something Awful, while it's not really what you should be aiming for through doing an LP here, you can get more viewers if people like your stuff. Set up a new LP, put it through here, and make a thread proper once you're happy with it. If people enjoy it, they might go find more stuff by you. This really shouldn't be your sole intent in making an LP though, especially considering LPs done through here don't get nearly as many views on average as people seem to think. If you're just hunting for more views, you'll have far more success on something like Tumblr.

Cleofis
Oct 18, 2012

If only they knew the things I could teach them, my life would be much easier.
Getting popular through LPs isn't really a goal of ours, cause we know we won't get popular. We all feel that the easiest way to get popular through LPs is pandering, and we're all too busy/lazy to do that. We just like playing games and if we can entertain some people in the process, why not? That, and personally it actually helps me complete games if I limit how much I play them in one sitting and know there might be a few people looking forward to seeing the thing completed.

That being said, I'll just stick to posting new LPs as I do them, thanks!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cleofis posted:

Don't pimp in the thread, ever. If your videos are good, people will go check out the rest of your stuff. Have faith in what you're putting out and you'll get what you're asking about automatically.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Hey folks, how long does it take a thread to fall into Archives? Was it one month inactivity or two? I don't want to make a cheesy thread bumping post if it is unnecessary.

vvv Solid copy. Thanks.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 19, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Hey folks, how long does it take a thread to fall into Archives? Was it one month inactivity or two? I don't want to make a cheesy thread bumping post if it is unnecessary.

Two months.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

njsykora posted:

It can't be a proper Canadian gimmick anyway, he hasn't apologised for anything.

I'm sorry he hasn't apologized yet. Let me apologize for this properly. :canada:

I find the idea of using a cultural stereotype (even my own culture) as a gimmick for an LP to be a failure on the part of the LPer to put an appropriate amount of effort into their gimmick or their LP.

And a five video dump? I'm certain that's frowned upon.

I apologize for my tone. It's in my culture. ;) :canada:

salttotart
Mar 29, 2010

What's my favorite thing?

Wild Knight posted:

You know, I hadn't really thought about subs, because my AviSynth comprehension is beginner enough as it is and the idea of figuring out how to get subtitles working seems daunting.

Still, I'm in no rush to get this out, especially half-assed, so I'll check the tech fort and see if I can figure that stuff out. Thanks, guys.

I'm not trying to turn this into the TSF, but I had the same issue and found an easy way to put subtitles into Avisynth.

You can use the TextSub tag if you install this plugin. It will accespt both .srt and .rear end files. You can just follow MEAT!'s subtitle guide in the OP on how to build them if you need help.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

salttotart posted:

I'm not trying to turn this into the TSF, but I had the same issue and found an easy way to put subtitles into Avisynth.

You can use the TextSub tag if you install this plugin. It will accespt both .srt and .rear end files. You can just follow MEAT!'s subtitle guide in the OP on how to build them if you need help.

I did watch MEAT!'s video and it gave me a good basis to go off of, but this looks like it'll help make the process even easier. Thanks!

Nidoking posted:

Good stuff

And seconding HelloWinter, thanks a ton for sharing this advice. I'll definitely keep it all in mind.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It's been a while since I've submitted something to here "for approval," as it were. I'm basically looking to see if the audio quality in my video is acceptable the way I am currently forced to record it, and if there are any changes in format that you folks feel should be made (A more structured approach, perhaps?). It might also be good to know if we're actually at all funny while playing as a group, or if our antics get old quick.

--------

Separating fools from their money. (Let's Play PAYDAY: The Heist)

:eng101: Game Overview

PAYDAY: The Heist is a co-op first-person shooter video game, and the debut release of developers Overkill Software. Initially released on October 18th, 2011 on the Playstation Network, it would see it's release on Steam a mere two days later.

The game puts players in the shoes of professional thieves [and merciless murderers] Dallas, Hoxton, Chains and Wolf. The objective in most levels is to steal some large sum of money - be it from banks, armored cars, and even drug dealers - as quickly and efficiently as possible. Obstacles to your success include waves of law enforcement officers, unforeseen issues with your equipment, and even betrayals by your [non-player] partners. Enemy and objective locations, as well as your luck in things actually managing to go according to plan, are left to randomization, meaning that even your best-laid plans in a level can quickly go awry.

The game is commonly compared to Valve's Left 4 Dead series, on the grounds that it is a four-person co-op first-person shooter game. However, unlike L4D, PAYDAY is actually a good game forces players to play more tactically, relying on each other for more than just fire support or shooting zombies off of their backs. The inability to effectively coordinate "who goes where" and "who does what" could make gameplay considerably more difficult, which is why it pays to know your teammates and to communicate over voice chat.

Similar to L4D, there are no assigned roles in the game, or characters who by default specialize in one skill over another. Instead, you are given the ability to put your cash (experience points) into one of three skill trees (Four with a newly-released DLC), unlocking different weapons, perks, and other various upgrades as your progress. From there, you can customize your loadout at the beginning of every new mission, choosing either what suits you best or what will be most useful for specific missions. In this way, players can develop their own roles within a team, adding an extra layer of depth which L4D is sorely lacking.

DLC released for the game includes the free "No Mercy" DLC, adding a map which capitalizes on the game's supposed similarity to L4D by taking place in the No Mercy hospital from said game. A second piece of DLC titled "Wolf Pack" adds two new maps to the game, as well as an added assortment of weapons and gadgets unlocked through a fourth in-game progression tree.

:911: Mission Statement

I genuinely enjoy this game. I've derived much enjoyment from playing it with members of my crew. However, despite the hours we've put into it and the progression we've made, we have found ourselves unable to complete even the first mission on the game's "Overkill" difficulty. The goal of this LP is to eventually beat every mission in the game on this difficulty, and to show our progress until we can meet that goal.

Habermann (That's me!) is in charge of "thinning the herd," and keeping the pesky police from interrupting our plans. Nervatel has a knack for memorizing maps, and as such will deal with both primary objectives and secondary (Such as destroying security cameras and stealing smaller loot). Jim will be playing the role of support, picking us back up when we fall down as well as dealing with crowd control. We may rotate who fills in for our fourth slot, in order to keep the commentary-chemistry fresh.

:roboluv: Tech Specs

I record and render my videos in 1280x720 at 29.97 frames per second, with game audio is presented in stereo (For Total Immersion™). Advanced graphic settings - aside from anti-aliasing and antistropy - are maxed out. Co-commentator audio, for lack of a better method, is recorded simultaneously with the game audio via FRAPS, unfortunately meaning that the game audio must be set at a constant low so that our voices can remain audible. Luckily, the majority of in-game dialogue is subtitled, so at least you shouldn't miss out on what is being said (Not that what is being said is usually essential anyway).

:f5: Episode Directory

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Habermann posted:

It's been a while since I've submitted something to here "for approval," as it were. I'm basically looking to see if the audio quality in my video is acceptable the way I am currently forced to record it, and if there are any changes in format that you folks feel should be made (A more structured approach, perhaps?). It might also be good to know if we're actually at all funny while playing as a group, or if our antics get old quick.

--------

Separating fools from their money. (Let's Play PAYDAY: The Heist)

Can you please get your audio settings done ahead of time so you don't spend 5 minutes in menus before the game starts?

Now I haven't played this game, but is there any consideration to the idea of making the cameraman as the one completing the objectives? Shooting the cops (and dying every 5 seconds) doesn't look all that interesting.

I don't think I'm the intended audience for this. I don't usually watch group LP's, and this one isn't going to change my view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Can you please get your audio settings done ahead of time so you don't spend 5 minutes in menus before the game starts?

To be fair, it's not like I plan on adjusting audio settings or trying to explain the basic premise of the game at the beginning of every episode. I didn't figure that viewers wanted to just see us hop directly into the game without spending the time to try and set up what we're doing first.

What I'm really looking to find out from this test post is - other than the fact I spent 10 seconds during the co-commentator introductions adjusting the audio settings - was the audio during the gameplay alright?

Now I haven't played this game, but is there any consideration to the idea of making the cameraman as the one completing the objectives? Shooting the cops (and dying every 5 seconds) doesn't look all that interesting.

I plan on trying to show what goes into completing the objectives from my perspective as often as I can, which is why I went down into the bank vault and grabbed the cash in the second attempt at the level. However, with something like the drills, I don't think people are going to want to watch me staring at a countdown timer for 200+ seconds.

I don't think I'm the intended audience for this. I don't usually watch group LP's, and this one isn't going to change my view.

That's fair enough. As someone who isn't a fan of "informative" LPs myself, there are definitely LPs I've avoided on the grounds that I don't find the commentary engaging. I'm hoping to appeal to people who enjoy fun-oriented group LPs, knowing that I'm going to alienate people looking for a single dude to dryly explain game mechanics.

• Locked thread