Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

AndyElusive posted:

I think we'll all be a lot happier if we assume that SFxT will end up awesome and wont turn out to be Ono making GBS threads all over the place and needlessly trolling everyone continuously over Twitter for months until release.

Yeah...doesn't work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Evil Canadian posted:

And the Darkstalkers crew in Marvel 3 all animate great and are very faithful to the series in appearance and character, and I don't see any reason why it would not be even better yet in a proper new game.

Not really. They picked some of the simplest-animating characters and removed a great deal of the transformations, especially Morrigan's. I mean, I can understand why-- in 2D, redrawing a character doesn't actually take up any more memory, while in 3D, changing the geometry requires loading multiple models. But that means that so long as Capcom sticks to their guns with their current engine, the game will suffer a lot in how much "character" the characters have.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

The Balance Niggy posted:

What does this even mean? compared to what, also?

Well I don't think any fighting game with a juggling system will have combos that look physically possible, but I do agree that out of most of the fighting games that come to mind MK's (especially once they moved to 3d) have always stood out to me as the stiffest and most awkward looking.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Super Rad posted:

Well I don't think any fighting game with a juggling system will have combos that look physically possible, but I do agree that out of most of the fighting games that come to mind MK's (especially once they moved to 3d) have always stood out to me as the stiffest and most awkward looking.
Yeah

They look awkward, and feel awkward, because there's this unnecessary amount of 'jiggle' going on when they are hit... to me anyway

The chars themselves ironically enough fall extremely fast and it seems more "logical" than any other game I've seen with juggles.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Yeah, the janky Netherrealm animations bothered me when MK9 first came out, but I don't even notice them anymore.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
At least we can all agree that the new Darkstalkers will have a really dumb comeback mechanic that everyone will hate, right?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bovineicide posted:

At least we can all agree that the new Darkstalkers will have a really dumb comeback mechanic that everyone will hate, right?

...and a Simple Mode.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm mostly concerned because vsav pulls off the interesting feat of being extremely fast-paced and offense-oriented while still having defense systems that are thoughtful and require some skill and practice. If Ono does a new one I see a lot of stupid poo poo on the horizon, like MvC3-style pushblocks (if there are any), simplification of raging demon inputs, making dark forces generic (if they still exist), giving everyone cinematic supers, and, of course, having glacial movespeeds and poor offensive options.

quanch
Dec 18, 2003
The character models don't look like they are actually hitting eachother in mk9.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

quanch posted:

The character models don't look like they are actually hitting eachother in mk9.

Yeah, this happens when you use imprecise hitboxes and have no hitsparks.

Edit: I would bet money if you removed the ridiculous hitsparks of Marvel 3 everyone would complain that the game looks wonky as hell.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

quanch posted:

This is pretty much what I think when I watch tekken when someone gets hit, it looks pretty sane up to that.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Yo, what's the goonsgarden IRC info? I'm trying to connect through xchat.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

uncleKitchener posted:

Yo, what's the goonsgarden IRC info? I'm trying to connect through xchat.

irc.synirc.net, same as in the OP right?

Oy. You may be too dumb to use xchat. /server irc.synirc.net, /join #goonsgarden

redmercer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 13, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
That one connects through browser. I'm trying to connect through a client.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

pick synIRC from the server list thing and then /join #goonsgarden

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

boxcarhobo posted:

pick synIRC from the server list thing and then /join #goonsgarden

It isn't in there by default, you have to add it.

If you feel like editing a text file, you can open C:\Documents\<username>\Application Data\X-Chat 2\servlist_.conf and insert the following lines on the second line:

N=synirc
E=IRC (Latin/Unicode Hybrid)
F=19
D=1
S=irc.synirc.net/6667

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

uncleKitchener posted:

Even if you connect to a different server, you can still use /server to get to the right one

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Okay, thanks for the help, guys. It works fine now.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Waterbed posted:

Yeah, this happens when you use imprecise hitboxes and have no hitsparks.

Edit: I would bet money if you removed the ridiculous hitsparks of Marvel 3 everyone would complain that the game looks wonky as hell.

I think MK9 is worse than most, IMHO when it comes to hitboxes.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
MK9 doesn't use hitboxes, so that would explain why it's so janky. Also they wanted to keep it looking like older MK titles which also kind of hurts it.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Buhbuhj posted:

MK9 doesn't use hitboxes, so that would explain why it's so janky. Also they wanted to keep it looking like older MK titles which also kind of hurts it.

How does it do it, then?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Violently Car posted:

How does it do it, then?

It uses "3D hitboxes" (industry term), which aren't actually hitboxes. The engine simply computes if the models collide with each other, which is why changing stances causes certain combos to not work anymore. With the characters breathing and moving and such, it's incredibly imprecise for fighting games.

If there was more than one character model of each gender, it would be even more of a pain in the rear end.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Since Lizard Lick went under, is there any good place to buy Eurostick parts? I guess I could always buy direct from Happ or IL, but I think I'd get screwed over on the shipping cost.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bovineicide posted:

Since Lizard Lick went under, is there any good place to buy Eurostick parts? I guess I could always buy direct from Happ or IL, but I think I'd get screwed over on the shipping cost.

Full sticks or individual parts and are you US or EU?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Full sticks or individual parts and are you US or EU?

Pushbuttons and sticks, really. I live in the US.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bovineicide posted:

Pushbuttons and sticks, really. I live in the US.

Paradise Arcade sells Eurosticks and the full IL button range. Their color selection on sticks can sometimes be iffy but they usually have all the buttons in stock. They have Yenox buttons in there as well, which are decent low-profile American style buttons made in Asia. They also have a large variety of switch options for decent prices (20's for a more Japanese feel, 125's for Start/Select/Player buttons).

There's also eBay if you're looking for some more serious American/Euro style parts (Suzo 500's come to mind).

There's not a lot of info on mainstream FGC sites about American control setups. I am a huge fan of them for certain games (Muscle memory pretty much prevents me from playing SF2 in anything that isn't straight six) and I personally use hand adjusted Yenox pushbuttons and a custom actuated Eurostick in my Mortal Kombat setup. Ultimarc does a lot of crazy specialty American style parts like the Magstick as do the guys at Groovy Game Gear.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Other than Ebay, where else can I buy parts? I'm in UK.

ether
May 20, 2001

uncleKitchener posted:

I get replacement parts for my TE from either ArcadeForge.de or Shadaloo.eu (ordering from the Netherlands, shouldn't be that diffirent for you)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

I got mine from Gremlin Solutions on the recommendation of friends who had used it in the past.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ether posted:

I get replacement parts for my TE from either ArcadeForge.de or Shadaloo.eu (ordering from the Netherlands, shouldn't be that diffirent for you)

They look good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Veib posted:

I got mine from Gremlin Solutions on the recommendation of friends who had used it in the past.

Oh, yeah. My boss used that to get some parts and the 60-in-1 Jamma board. Are they reliable when it comes to shipping?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega officially announced their Model 2 Collection today - they're releasing five Model 2 arcade game ports to XBLA/PSN, complete with online play and other new features. Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers and Sonic the Fighters will be out this year for 800 Points each or as a bundle for 1500 Points; Virtua Striker and the original Virtual On will be out next year for an unspecified price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnLUHKE6gyI

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Those are actually some pretty sweet games! I'll probably pick up the fighters pack at least.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh sweet, Virtual On on a current-gen console? Sign me up! Too bad there isn't a contro-

380 bucks. :negative:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 18, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

S-Alpha posted:

Oh sweet, Virtual On on a current-gen console? Sign me up! Too bad there isn't a contro-

Its not the authentic experience, but doesnt a dual analog controller mimic the functions exactly?

For the upcoming 25th anniversary event it says
"Saturday
7:00AM: Venue Opens
7:00AM-10:00AM: On-site registration
10:00AM-1:00PM: Bracket generation / Casual play
1:00PM-6:00PM: Down to 32 players for all games
6:00PM-9:00PM: Quarterfinals begins, Top 32 -> Top 8 (up to top 4 for 3rd Strike and HDR)"

So does that mean I need to arrive by 10:00 or by 1:00?
I dont see a thread on SRK or on capcom unity

I just wanna hurry up and lose so I can buy embarrassing FGC merch

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 18, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Just gonna cross post this in case anyone forgot
Tonight :japan:

Thursday October 18th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey: PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/h4dfo2fahr

:itjb:XBOX:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/4npjcz3ahb

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

S-Alpha posted:

gently caress Hori, you can custom build a VO stick for about 100-120 if you know what you're doing.

aggro_crag
Oct 18, 2012

ZackHoagie posted:

gently caress Hori, you can custom build a VO stick for about 100-120 if you know what you're doing.

That would be a really cool project. I wonder which 360 pcb would be good for this? As far as sticks go, I know Sanwa has an arcade stick modeled for VO style games. Forget the model, Lizard Lick used to carry them but now they're pretty much gone.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

ZackHoagie posted:

Speaking of Hori, my EX2 stick's LT button is hosed. I hate desoldering 4 buttons to fix it, but should I choose to do so, which button maker should I go with?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ZackHoagie posted:

Or less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guilty Gear XX AC Plus PSN delayed until 11/1.

C'mon, ASW. Not cool.

Edit: Oh, and apparently that's only for the JP PSN release. So there isn't even a release date on the US version. :smith:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 19, 2012

• Locked thread