Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
comparing kendrick to outkast itt

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New Yo Gotti mixtape Cocaine Muzik 7: The World Is Yours is out for download!

http://www.datpiff.com/Yo-Gotti-CM7-The-World-Is-Yours-mixtape.405210.html

Bstyles fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 21, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

TenaciousTomato posted:

comparing kendrick to outkast itt

:laugh:

temple posted:

Kendrick Lamar is Big Boi if Big Boi has a successful solo career.
Way ahead of you.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
He's more like an Andre 3000 that never met Erykah Badu.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Unbelievable some of you guys will ever compare Kendric to Andree or Big Boi. Don't ever mention Kendric Lamar in anything Outkast related. Outkast loving rapes Kendric. :colbert:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Ab-Soul is actually my favorite out of Black Hippy.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This album is a little old. I bought this album without hearing any snippets because i've always been a DMX fan in my teens. I know he fell off the map for a while and not a lot of people think he's irrelevant now. But, what about DMX? He released a new album called "Undisputed" a little while ago and I think it's loving amazing. He's still hungry.
EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2J4iIHBu4c

EDIT: Song #7 "slippin' again" is such an awesome song.

Bstyles fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 21, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bstyles posted:

Unbelievable some of you guys will ever compare Kendric to Andree or Big Boi. Don't ever mention Kendric Lamar in anything Outkast related. Outkast loving rapes Kendric. :colbert:

I like Kendrick and I like Outkast. I'm siding with this sounds like Aquemini 2012 and god drat if that isn't good thing. I don't think the album is the best thing ever but let it be known that the bar has been raised. I'm so glad a lot of people have fell off or flopped this year. Maybe this will inspire people to do better.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Bstyles posted:

New Yo Gotti mixtape Cocaine Muzik 7: The World Is Yours is out for download!

http://www.datpiff.com/Yo-Gotti-CM7-The-World-Is-Yours-mixtape.405210.html

yo gottis hooks have really been improving imo. this is his best tape in a while, espcially 'had to quit fuckin with you' which is the standout track for me

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

OH WORD SON posted:

when does this come out, coup owns

October 30. They've already released a song: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/14457-wavip-ft-das-racist-and-killer-mike/

The das racist verses are so bad that I dont really like the track BUT boots absolutely kills his verse, he kills it!

"Low paid prostitutes with no fishnets"

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 21, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What's with this compulsion to compare GKMC to other albums anyway?

I begrudgingly agree with Bstyles, as much as I like GKMC: Outkast (especially ATLiens/Aquemini-era) > Kendrick, and by a huge loving margin

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Bstyles posted:

This album is a little old. I bought this album without hearing any snippets because i've always been a DMX fan in my teens. I know he fell off the map for a while and not a lot of people think he's irrelevant now. But, what about DMX? He released a new album called "Undisputed" a little while ago and I think it's loving amazing. He's still hungry.
EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2J4iIHBu4c

EDIT: Song #7 "slippin' again" is such an awesome song.

the new DMX album is awful, it's him using the same flow he's always used and completely uninteresting lyrics.

also these Kendrick comparisons to ANYTHING are pretty ridiculous- I don't think I can pinpoint one "classic" rap act that he resembles at all. If anything- I see a Pharcyde and Little Brother influence on the album but even that is probably stretching it.

can't a young new artist release an absolutely incredible album without suddenly being compared to the hottest names in rap? No one is going to release an album and suddenly nullify anything Outkast has done.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ahahahahahahahahaha

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

doctor thodt posted:

STAINED GLASS GAME

ahahahahahahahahaha

Most classic album cover this year.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

doctor thodt posted:

ahahahahahahahahaha

This is loving unreal

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

was jamming this on repeat today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2aViY_YKkg
beat borrows from Three 6 "Orange Mound"

also bumped this mixtape by Bodega Bamz. it has some dope beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usn6w-egCqo

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 21, 2012

Blade Leader
Jun 15, 2006

Game of Thrones
That cover is incredible

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Has anyone who didn't like GKMC come around on it? I like Aquemini and Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but this album didn't seem to have any specifically good songs, unlike those albums. I was just wondering if I should keep listening to see if I change my mind.

edit: Bodega BAMZ looks like Nick Kroll doing his Ed Hardy character.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I just watched the video for "Celebration". Probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my entire life.

That covers cool though

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

asap-salafi posted:

I just watched the video for "Celebration". Probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my entire life.

That covers cool though

It's not only the worst rap song ever, its like Game is wearing a skinsuit of bone thugs and hes just walking around like a loving freak, all singing with someone elses lips and all.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

Has anyone who didn't like GKMC come around on it? I like Aquemini and Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, but this album didn't seem to have any specifically good songs, unlike those albums. I was just wondering if I should keep listening to see if I change my mind.

I wasn't wild about it at first but I have come around to it. I like most of the songs, I think the standouts have already been pretty much identified as: Backseat Freestyle, Money Trees, Swimming Pools, and M.A.A.D City. There isn't really an especially weak song except for the Drake one.

Also I don't think it holds a candle to Aquemini or MBDTF (but to be fair it is only his 2nd album).

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, Swimming Pools is still great. Maybe I like simple hip hop albums that aren't aural soundscapes.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
"In an interview, Game explained the concept of "Jesus Piece” does not have a spiritual theme, but it would have an theme of enjoying life while also having faith in God"

Ahahahahaha

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Bad album covers, you say?

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robert Analog posted:

Bad album covers, you say?

i got an 85 on that for my collage assignment tyvm

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica

Profondo Rosso posted:

The new Kendrick is great, but at times the R&B choruses go on for too long. Most songs are kind of bloated at 5-6 minutes with just a couple of actualy verses. Still an exceptional album though

What. Thats like the last possible problem with the record

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica

Wezlar posted:

I think anyone comparing GKMC to MBDTF is reaching pretty drat far

yeah lol

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

epic funhaver posted:

What. Thats like the last possible problem with the record

I really like the album, but I can't agree. On section.80 Kendrick really showed his skill as a lyricist on tracks like rigamortus or Hiipower. GKMC has some great tunes, but it's carried by quality beats and a shitload of choruses. The focus changed from Kendricks technically competent flow and wordplay. poo poo, Swimming pools is probably my favorite song on the album, but it pretty much perfectly exemplifys this as a 6 minute song where only like 45 seconds are actually Kendrick rapping. It works in some cases, but then you get songs like poetic justice or real where it starts to get grating.

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 22, 2012

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

the black husserl posted:

It's not only the worst rap song ever, its like Game is wearing a skinsuit of bone thugs and hes just walking around like a loving freak, all singing with someone elses lips and all.

Also don't forget that the guests (and game himself) are all the worst rappers in the game right now. Like seriously wiz, 2012 wayne, chris brown, tyga. And still somehow the song is worse than the sum of its parts

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SLAMMYsosa posted:

Also don't forget that the guests (and game himself) are all the worst rappers in the game right now. Like seriously wiz, 2012 wayne, chris brown, tyga. And still somehow the song is worse than the sum of its parts

I hate how you say "worst" rappers in the game right now. I hate all those musicians you listed too but those guys are what most people listen to nowadays as rap as rap goes and they're making millions? :confused:

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Bstyles posted:

I hate how you say "worst" rappers in the game right now. I hate all those musicians you listed too but those guys are what most people listen to nowadays as rap as rap goes and they're making millions? :confused:

Is McDonalds the best food?

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Bstyles posted:

Hey Bstyles, I was curious what you think of DMX's legal troubles~

While his charismatic rabid-animal “Dogman” style was a favorite of the late ’90s, lately the “Dogman” has been off the chain, so to speak, as his escapades with the law have been front and center in the public eye. DMX, the rapper who implored us all to “Shut em down, open up shop” in his mega-hit “Ruff Ryder’s Anthem”, has recently been opening only court dockets, and shutting down his own career! The irony runs thick, but it’s worth wondering if maybe DMX bought into his own hype?

Give us the scoop, rap fans!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bstyles posted:

Just FYI, here is what we'd be stuck with if we let what "people listen to nowadays as rap" dictate the terms of what is good and what is bad.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

thathonkey posted:

Just FYI, here is what we'd be stuck with if we let what "people listen to nowadays as rap" dictate the terms of what is good and what is bad.

Yeah look at those good songs by good artists people in this thread like, gently caress the mainstream. I only listen to real hip-hop like Atmosphere.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Robert Analog posted:

Yeah look at those good songs by good artists people in this thread like, gently caress the mainstream. I only listen to real hip-hop like Atmosphere.

I'm into intelligent rap that goes way beyond "bitches" "blunts" and "bling", it's refreshing to hear intellectual rappers tackling complex subjects like how rap music is good.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

thathonkey posted:

I could only pick a select few songs on that list that I straight up don't like- mainly "Pop That" and "Work Hard Play Hard." (Pop That isn't exactly the worst rap song but the beat is obnoxious IMO). Most of them are songs I really enjoy.

Trey Songz, Young Jeezy, Big Sean, and 2 Chainz are playing in my city this weekend and it's pretty cheap and I kind of want to go because it will at least be fun.

And gently caress Atmosphere. Beyond that, gently caress Atmosphere fans. Ick.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Slackerish posted:

I could only pick a select few songs on that list that I straight up don't like- mainly "Pop That" and "Work Hard Play Hard." (Pop That isn't exactly the worst rap song but the beat is obnoxious IMO).

That beat loving pisses me off. Immediate punch out on the radio

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I really hate pop that too.

Freddie Gibbis posted:

I'm into intelligent rap that goes way beyond "bitches" "blunts" and "bling", it's refreshing to hear intellectual rappers tackling complex subjects like how rap music is good.

The worst type of rap fan. Don't be a sterotype.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Do they play this song on the radio outside of the bay?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJdqw-JzW08

I like KMEL, and rap radio in general is run as hell to listen to while driving, but there are always too many drat commercials. That and I wish there was enough of a market to a rap station that didn't play a bunch of R&B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
KMEL is fuckin awful dude, i dunno how you can stand any of that poo poo, it's still like six-hundred spins of "no hands" for one of everything else and it's almost November of 2012.

There are some good local hip hop podcast style shows ("One For The Road" on FCCFreeRadio plays some dope poo poo) but the actual FM dial is a wasteland around here.

• Locked thread