Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Got a cool event I've never seen before -- a mantis ship managed to escape from me mid-combat but it said they did a bad job masking their trail and gave me a quest marker to track them down. I did, and got to fight them again (their ship was a lot bigger and more powerful too) and got a ton of scrap for beating them along with some funny text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I feel like there's probably alot of cool event and stuff I'm missing by not going to Mantis and Slug sectors but then I regained my sanity.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I bet there are cool events in nebula sectors, but gently caress if I know any. God drat I hate ion storms.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hooray me:

Finally got a victory (on easy). Sectors 1-2 I ran with the starting weapons, I got two Scrap Accumulators early, then picked up a Heavy Ion and a Hull Laser 2 and ran with them until the end of Sector 6, when I scored the second Ion Blast 2 and Burst Laser. Also swapped the scrap accumulators for shield rechargers.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Actually, Nebula don't have a whole bunch of cool events, they just make up for that by drastically extending your sector coverage. Nebula have far fewer non-ship events, and almost all the normal things can't happen in one, so there's a much higher rate of crap like just staring out the window waiting. On the other hand, they reduce the rebel fleet's encroaching speed by 50-75%, depending on the sector, which drastically increases how much of the sector you can explore. A good Slug Homeworlds sector can have you explore almost every single jump point before the rebels close in, it's crazy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Captain Bravo posted:

Actually, Nebula don't have a whole bunch of cool events, they just make up for that by drastically extending your sector coverage. Nebula have far fewer non-ship events, and almost all the normal things can't happen in one, so there's a much higher rate of crap like just staring out the window waiting. On the other hand, they reduce the rebel fleet's encroaching speed by 50-75%, depending on the sector, which drastically increases how much of the sector you can explore. A good Slug Homeworlds sector can have you explore almost every single jump point before the rebels close in, it's crazy.

It says when you hover over a beacon in a nebula sector that the rebels are expecting you to be there, and won't slow down like a nebula area in a non-nebula sector. Is this not the case?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Node posted:

It says when you hover over a beacon in a nebula sector that the rebels are expecting you to be there, and won't slow down like a nebula area in a non-nebula sector. Is this not the case?

Won't slow down as much, iirc.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Node posted:

It slows the rebels, but not as much as a nebula in a non-nebula sector. Normally they'll only move half as far, in a purple sector it only slows them to about 60-80% of normal I think. But since it's like that for almost every beacon, you can still explore a whole ton.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Just had a pretty good run with the Engy 1. I ended up with 2x Ion 2s, a drone recovery arm, the fire rate augmentation, and a bunch of drones (typically 2x anti-ship 1s and a defense or beam drone for flavour). poo poo just melted - even the boss wasn't an issue, and I'm pretty sure I didn't need to waste time boarding stage 1 to kill the missiles since two Ion 2s and 2 anti-ship drones kept the boss locked down.

This setup also let me unlock the Engy 2 and the Rock ship (finally!).

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

something posted:

Yeah, honestly I think they should change that event so if you kil them you get the scrap back at the very least. Maybe if you board you get your scrap + the weapon itself.

Because otherwise why would anyone ever take it? 65 scrap for something absolutely unknown, could very easily not work with your setup or just plain be worse and cheaper than the 65 you spent, and on top of it a solid chance you're out 65 scrap with nothing to show for it? Yeah, no thanks.
I take that option sometimes, depending on how lucky I've been with getting weapons from stores. I had a game with mantis ship A yesterday where in sector 7 I still had only the basic laser and small bomb it starts with, and that event at least got me a burst laser 1. Then I lucked out with the next two stores selling another burst laser 1 and a hull laser 1, which got me enough offensive power to actually beat the game without having to worry about exhausting my missile supply.

So it has its place, even if it's generally a bad gamble to take.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
Is there a plan to have a patch with more aliens and so on sometime soon?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Ok weapons immediately after jump with 30% faster reloads combined with two burst 2's, a ion bomb and a halberd beam is loving insane. I had two boarding teams too, double mantis and double rock. This game has never been that easy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Vib Rib posted:

What's bullshit is that you can immediately turn to attack them, but you don't get your scrap back. What the hell? Even if they spent it on their own ship immediately, which is impossible, you'd still be able to strip and scrap their ship, right?
I don't understand how I can waste 65 on a fake weapon, which first implies my captain has no idea how to actually do business, and on top of that only get like 35 scrap from beating them.

You rolled the die and you lost. What's the problem?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zigmidge posted:

You rolled the die and you lost. What's the problem?
The problem is if you hand someone ten bucks and they say "thanks sucker" and then you kill them and steal all the money on their person, that amount should be equal to or greater than ten bucks.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
'splosions are weird poo poo, man.

AxemRed
Nov 7, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

The problem is if you hand someone ten bucks and they say "thanks sucker" and then you kill them and steal all the money on their person, that amount should be equal to or greater than ten bucks.

I agree entirely, I've had people offer me more scrap than their ship was worth (While at 1hp). I'd imagine it's this way for balancing purposes, even though you sometimes get surrenders where they offer more than their ship has. (I just like to think of it as they were lying about how much they had)

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Tarquinn posted:

'splosions are weird poo poo, man.

Same thing happens even if you kill everyone on board and leave the ship intact.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Beet posted:

Same thing happens even if you kill everyone on board and leave the ship intact.
Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned I was only killing the crew. I should at least get back what I paid in, even if the ship is magically worth nothing.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Clearly the scammers flushed down their illicitly acquired scrap down the toilet when the cops beamed in. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

What's bullshit is that you can immediately turn to attack them, but you don't get your scrap back. What the hell? Even if they spent it on their own ship immediately, which is impossible, you'd still be able to strip and scrap their ship, right?
I don't understand how I can waste 65 on a fake weapon, which first implies my captain has no idea how to actually do business, and on top of that only get like 35 scrap from beating them.

Because event rewards are always random.

If it bothers you that much, you should mod the event!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Got my first win with the Mantis A. It's a cool ship but not that easy to get going. Once you do however..welcome to murdertown.

This run forced me to kill myself. :smith:

I probably got this.

Yeah, I got this. :smug:

I got that breach 2 pretty early which kind of made the whole run. Also I got 2 of the 3 achievements from this run.

God drat OBi. Nobody fucks with you.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Still not seeing the problem. I'd rather not they made silly changes like this for everyone. Mod the game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If it bothers you that much, you should mod the event!
It doesn't bother me that much, since I've learned to just fight them every time rather than take the risk. But it's still bogus.

Zigmidge posted:

Still not seeing the problem. I'd rather not they made silly changes like this for everyone.
I think you're being a tad defensive on this whole thing. If you think it's fine from a standpoint purely of gameplay, that's fine, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I'd agree it doesn't make sense from a realism standpoint, but it's fine from a gameplay standpoint. It's essentially gambling 65 scrap for a chance at any (non-crystal) weapon in the game, and it's a good choice to take if you have plenty of scrap but haven't had much luck with weapons. But if the risk weren't there because you can get your scrap back, it's not all that interesting to consider. Since it's so unlikely you'll not be able to improve on your weapon setup at all, you'd always take the chance.

It's kind of like the talk about the slaver earlier in the thread. If you buy a slave you're guaranteed to get a random crew member, but if you attack there's a small chance you won't since occasionally they won't surrender, and one of the boarding outcomes also doesn't give any slaves. Most of the time you'll still want to attack, but if you're particularly desperate for crew the option is there.

Also related to that slaver event, if you have upgraded your teleporter at least once you get a blue option which has a chance at getting you an extra crew member before the fight starts, and you can get a second crew member out of it too if they offer to surrender or you kill their entire crew.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 22, 2012

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Smart Car posted:

Also related to that slaver event, if you have upgraded your teleporter at least once you get a blue option which has a chance at getting you an extra crew member before the fight starts, and you can get a second crew member out of it too if they offer to surrender or you kill their entire crew.
Huh. All this time I never knew you could get two this way. I figured choosing the teleporter option would negate your odds at getting a slave at the end of the battle. Thanks for the tip.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Smart Car posted:

I'd agree it doesn't make sense from a realism standpoint, but it's fine from a gameplay standpoint. It's essentially gambling 65 scrap for a chance at any (non-crystal) weapon in the game, and it's a good choice to take if you have plenty of scrap but haven't had much luck with weapons. But if the risk weren't there because you can get your scrap back, it's not all that interesting to consider. Since it's so unlikely you'll not be able to improve on your weapon setup at all, you'd always take the chance.

It's kind of like the talk about the slaver earlier in the thread. If you buy a slave you're guaranteed to get a random crew member, but if you attack there's a small chance you won't since occasionally they won't surrender, and one of the boarding outcomes also doesn't give any slaves. Most of the time you'll still want to attack, but if you're particularly desperate for crew the option is there.

Yes, but you actually GET a slave if you buy it.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

something posted:

Yes, but you actually GET a slave if you buy it.
You're much more likely to already have a good crew setup than a good weapon setup though. In most situations getting a new crew member is less valuable than getting a new weapon is, so it makes sense (to me anyway) to have a greater risk for the chance at a weapon. The slaver can turn out fairly worthless as well, since there's little use in getting a mantis if you already have a full boarding crew, etc.

For what it's worth I'd probably mod the two events to be more similar if I felt like it. So add a chance at the slaver scamming you if you pay them, but also add a higher chance of getting a weapon if you board the black market weapon trader and add a special surrender event for them that's more likely to offer a weapon.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 22, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I like the events and I've gotten used to the general randomness but I wish they added a few more ways to swing the odds in your favor. For example I know giant alien spiders are no joke but my gold-ranked mantis boarding crew probably isn't something to laugh at either and you'd think I'd get a blue option or increased odds of success or something.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Smart Car posted:

You're much more likely to already have a good crew setup than a good weapon setup though. In most situations getting a new crew member is less valuable than getting a new weapon is, so it makes sense (to me anyway) to have a greater risk for the chance at a weapon. The slaver can turn out fairly worthless as well, since there's little use in getting a mantis if you already have a full boarding crew, etc.

For what it's worth I'd probably mod the two events to be more similar if I felt like it. So add a chance at the slaver scamming you if you pay them, but also add a higher chance of getting a weapon if you board the black market weapon trader and add a special surrender event for them that's more likely to offer a weapon.

My concern isn't about you getting a weapon from the event, it's the scrap. I'd simply like to see him surrender back the scrap you paid if you bloody his nose, which I think isn't too unbalanced or even unreasonable. He can keep his dirty weapon for all I care :colbert:.

goferchan posted:

Yeah I like the events and I've gotten used to the general randomness but I wish they added a few more ways to swing the odds in your favor. For example I know giant alien spiders are no joke but my gold-ranked mantis boarding crew probably isn't something to laugh at either and you'd think I'd get a blue option or increased odds of success or something.

I'd love to see a mod which just overhauls existing events to add more blue options to everything,to make events more exciting and to give you some outs on the currently dice roll-y events.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

It doesn't bother me that much, since I've learned to just fight them every time rather than take the risk. But it's still bogus.

I think you're being a tad defensive on this whole thing. If you think it's fine from a standpoint purely of gameplay, that's fine, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense.

Defensive? I don't care what you do. I simply disagreed on the notion that you don't understand what a dice roll is. Mod your game and be happy.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Vib Rib posted:

If this were the case it'd be a no-brainer to always take the trade for the weapon that might be fake, since if it was you could always fight them and get your money back.

If it were real you'd get a new weapon, if it were fake you'd just kill them and take your money back for no loss. It makes any of these events a win-win and makes it a non-decision.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cactrot posted:

If it were real you'd get a new weapon, if it were fake you'd just kill them and take your money back for no loss. It makes any of these events a win-win and makes it a non-decision.

If it were me redesigning the event, I'd probably just have them jump away with your money (with a blue option to chase them or stop them or whatever) when it's a fake, rather than sticking around to taunt the heavily-armed warship with nothing to lose, honestly.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
All you need to do is mod in two endings to the event. If the ship blows up, it mentions that the majority of your scrap is lost in the explosion. If you kill all the crew, add in a blurb about how they find one last slug in the cargo bay, and barely make it away before he blows it up. "You take what scrap you can off of the rest of the ship, and prepare to jump."

Boom, event stays balanced, metagamey people have no reason to bitch. Perfect!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

you don't understand what a dice roll is.

I don't think you understand, he isn't talking about the game balance at all, he's just saying that story-wise it's kinda silly. Captain Bravo has the right idea, all this needed was some story justification, a mod isn't even needed to just talk about it like "haha yeah that's weird, maybe they immediately sent the scrap home in a shuttle or something". Stop acting self-righteous over a gameplay complaint that doesn't exist.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 22, 2012

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just died on sector four, with a Burst Laser III, II, and I, all firing, and two pips of shields.

In other news, gently caress mantis boarders.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I had a fairly good loadout going on normal with the Zoltan-B. Got a free weapons preignitor, a fire beam and a firebomb with a rock boarding crew, but a few tough fights and too little scrap left after repairs left me still unable to buy the first 100-cost pip of shields. I got torn apart in seconds in a slug nebula by a slug ship that had missiles, two beam weapons, and two beam drones.

Checking my stats, apparently I've failed 51 goddamn times to 3 victories. Welp.

Also kinda pissed that I hosed up both the mantis ship and the slug ship quests, and have yet to see them again. Still lacking the stealth, mantis, rock, slug and crystal ships.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

MrYenko posted:

I just died on sector four, with a Burst Laser III, II, and I, all firing, and two pips of shields.

In other news, gently caress mantis boarders.

Hide everyone in your med bay and open all your other doors. This is a critical skill you need to learn to survive in space during these hectic times.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

self-righteous

Right. How about I repeat myself for a third time: "Mod the game"

Mistaking indifference for hyperdefensiveness to support your argument is cute, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If we're fantasising, I think combat with one of the stations/outposts that you read about in the flavor text could be an interesting mechanic. Maybe they'd have zero evasion, being relatively stationary, but powerful shield/crew/drone/hull layouts that you don't see on enemy ships. More asymmetrical fights would help keep things fresh, right now the only real examples are the AI drones and the mothership at the end of the game.

Edit : also on the wishlist, a reward for the events where you get boarded with no enemy ship in sight. Basically if you dont have any good defensive measures it fucks you over, and if you DO then it's just tedious with no reward (except combat XP which is so easy to max out anyway). Throw in a chance of the boarders dropping some drone schematics or information about the sector or a possible quest lead or SOMETHING, because right now it's really dull

goferchan fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Hide everyone in your med bay and open all your other doors. This is a critical skill you need to learn to survive in space during these hectic times.
Or just empty the minimal amount of rooms of oxygen to keep asphyxiating the boarders and keep them moving, since that's less likely to gently caress you over if your oxygen gets damaged in the meantime. Only works if you have at least level 2 doors though.

• Locked thread