Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Lampsacus posted:

This is good enough. Thanks AreYouStillThere!

Actually, I might have the one that fit your description better. Check out Gossamer Obsessions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Lobster Henry posted:

There's a kind of creeping elasticity to time and space in Kafka, where the prose will convey a sense that a couple of minutes have passed, only for a character to subsequently declare that night has fallen. It's a revelation after the fact that plunges you into uncertainty. To me, Nately's whore is more abrupt - more of an evil punchline - but you're bang-on about the sense of doom without logic.

That could more or less be ripped directly from The Trial. For much of Catch-22, Heller is sort of rewriting Kafka and emphasising the comedy, until of course it turns very, very sinister in the second half. In terms of Snowden and the ending, Catch-22 is both more hopeless (because of its atheism) than Kafka, and more hopeful - Kafka's Catch-22 would probably end with Yossarian being court-martialled and executed just after he hears an unconfirmed rumour that Orr may or may not be Sweden.

Bottom line: If you liked Heller's circular/horrifying/very funny non-logic, you'll like The Trial.

Well, I'm sold. Now just to find a copy in this podunk little town...

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Kinda irrelevant but I've seen a few horse trailers from a company called "Pegasus Floats" and it bugged me for some reason but I couldn't quite work out why until just now. There's a big mural in Melbourne of Atlas holding the world and another of Archimedes with his stick and fulcrum and it hit me that I don't like the horse trailer company "Pegasus Floats" because I don't like the book "Atlas Shrugged".

Or at least I think that's it. Or it could be the horse trailer I saw pull into a petrol station once with a horse squealing in it, floors so rotten it's powerful back legs had fallen through and had dragged into bloody stumps that left twin red stripes on the concrete next to the bowsers leading back to the road and further and further.

EDIT: I'm like fairly sure it's the unconscious Ayn Rand reference though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the the goon negativity towards Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

I've 40-pages deep and it seems okay? :smith:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

What's the the goon negativity towards Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

I've 40-pages deep and it seems okay? :smith:

I was unaware of this negativity. I really enjoyed that book, but it might have had something to do with the time in my life when I read it (freshman year of college).

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I had the privilege of reading Zen in my Junior/Senior year of high school for my Theory of Knowledge class. It was quite interesting as an philosophical piece.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Because gateway philosophical novels aggravate elitist graduates.

And thanks for the link to Gossamer Obsessions, above ^^ once again, it's not the blog I'm looking for. But it's closer..

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Since I'm reading Don Quixote right now I'm curious: are there other works by Cervantes that are worth reading? He seems remembered on the strength of the one work for the most part. I'm aware of the titles of some of his other works but little else.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Since I'm reading Don Quixote right now I'm curious: are there other works by Cervantes that are worth reading? He seems remembered on the strength of the one work for the most part. I'm aware of the titles of some of his other works but little else.

He actually didn't write that much. I've only read the Exemplary Stories that are translated into English and they were pretty entertaining, some of them are really weird.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Everything he wrote is good, but if you must pick one follow-up, choose 'The Dialogue of the Dogs.' It's usually included with 'Exemplary Stories' but you can also buy it on its own if you'd like.

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time

Lobster Henry posted:

Catch-22 is also one of my favourite novels, but I've never been able to make much headway into Heller's other works. I've never encountered anybody who has recommended them, and none of them seem to have received a fraction of the attention shown to Catch-22.

Crime and Punishment is also a great book, but Howard Jacobson is right when he says that Dostoyevsky is the most clumsily integrated of Heller's influences. Yossarian's nightmare flight through the city is very much A Reference In Big Freaking Capital Letters. Have you read any Kafka?

I'd recommend "Something Happened", but with the caveat that my only attempt to read Catch 22 was an abortive one and that I can't read more than two or three pages at a time, partly because the book is emotionally painful and sometimes because of the prose. It's really good, but it's a real slog too.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just so I can get some extra opinions (and because that thread is sparsely populated), could I possibly ask some of y'all experts to look at my post on page 3 in the Pynchon thread about an ostensible TRP signature? Thanks and sorry for adding this here too; I won't derail any further-

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
I'm trying to find good authoritative books on organized crime. So far I've found

Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld, David E Kaplan

but not much luck finding anything similar on the mafia/mobs. Most searches return sensational tales but nothing comprehensive or authoritative. Everything is "one man's thrilling tale" and not really what I'm looking for.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
edit: whoop wrong thread

Sears Poncho fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 15, 2012

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

drkhrs2020 posted:

I'm trying to find good authoritative books on organized crime. So far I've found

Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld, David E Kaplan

but not much luck finding anything similar on the mafia/mobs. Most searches return sensational tales but nothing comprehensive or authoritative. Everything is "one man's thrilling tale" and not really what I'm looking for.

Just any organized crime? A few months ago, I read a book called The Outfit which is about the rise and control of the mob in Chicago. It's simply amazing the amount of control and extent of their power that they exerted over many industries.

http://www.amazon.com/Outfit-Gus-Russo/dp/1582342792/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350343658&sr=1-1&keywords=the+outfit

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
What's the best way to get smoke and cat smell out of a book? My Walking Dead Compendium just came back to me after a year with 3 smokers and 13 cats. At least they didn't pee ON the drat thing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quad posted:

What's the best way to get smoke and cat smell out of a book? My Walking Dead Compendium just came back to me after a year with 3 smokers and 13 cats. At least they didn't pee ON the drat thing.

You need to let it air out for a really long time. My parents were both smokers, so whey I finally got all my books form their place, every one of them reeked of smoke. It took the better part of three years for the smell to (mostly) go away, and at least a year of that time they sat in my garage, getting regular exposure to fresh air. Even with all that the smell isn't 100% gone, but you can only smell it if you put your nose right on the spine and breathe deep.

I don't know if this will work for the cat piss smell, though; that's a tenacious odor.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I'm hoping that since it's comic book paper, (glossy), maybe thats not as porous as normal paper, maybe the smell comes out easier? I dunno.

rosewood
May 7, 2004
Shockaholic
I'm hoping that someone can help me find a short story that I read years ago in grade school. (Early 1990s) It would have either been in a school text book or one of those Weekly Reader mags.

What I can vaguely remember about the story is that a boy found something, I think glasses, that slowed down time. When he used them other weird things would happen but he wanted to be awesome at baseball so he used it to be awesome at baseball. In the end I think the kid was eaten by monsters or something.

Or maybe it is just some weird amalgam of Lord of the Rings, They Live, and my own shattered dreams.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
http://www.freefantasybook.com/free-horror/

24 free horror books for the kindle!

Yay!!!!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Quad posted:

I'm hoping that since it's comic book paper, (glossy), maybe thats not as porous as normal paper, maybe the smell comes out easier? I dunno.
Try putting it in a ziploc bag with some dryer sheets.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I wonder if this is the right thread to ask but... I have anxiety. Specifically, when it comes to ebooks and physical books. I bought a Kindle about a year ago and back then I loved the whole idea of eBooks and the immense convenience and having all sorts of books on one device or multiple devices with sync and blah blah blah. But now a year on I desperately miss holding a real physical book. I miss how each book had its own style and formatting, its own printing and smell, and actual covers and jackets. I love having my own book collection in a bookshelf and even when I grow tired of certain books I never plan on reading ever again I have the option of donating or selling them to bookstores.

But, man, an entire library! On a single device! I click buy and bam the book is now instantly available to me! I'm torn between accessibility and physical ownership & reading experience.

I suppose what I'm asking is if anyone else went through this utter ridiculousness and how they dealt with it?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I think e-readers are okay for casual reading, but it's easy to start skimming and jumping past stuff you don't like, plus you're reduced to passive reading. Unless the Kindle/Kobo/etc have changed, you can't write notes in the margins and underline and dogear pages you want to refer back to. Footnotes are a hassle, too. Until they offer a different experience than reading a book, I'm not too interested.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wirth1000 posted:

I wonder if this is the right thread to ask but... I have anxiety. Specifically, when it comes to ebooks and physical books. I bought a Kindle about a year ago and back then I loved the whole idea of eBooks and the immense convenience and having all sorts of books on one device or multiple devices with sync and blah blah blah. But now a year on I desperately miss holding a real physical book. I miss how each book had its own style and formatting, its own printing and smell, and actual covers and jackets. I love having my own book collection in a bookshelf and even when I grow tired of certain books I never plan on reading ever again I have the option of donating or selling them to bookstores.

But, man, an entire library! On a single device! I click buy and bam the book is now instantly available to me! I'm torn between accessibility and physical ownership & reading experience.

I suppose what I'm asking is if anyone else went through this utter ridiculousness and how they dealt with it?

I have both, and I just don't view it as an either/or. My main divide is "serious" books get bought physically--non-fiction, literary fiction, etc--while genre trash gets bought on Kindle. Even then there are exceptions, though, as there are plenty of good books in the Kindle self-publishing market (once you learn to separate the wheat from the incredible amounts of chaff) and a Kindle Daily Deal can get you a good book for just a buck or two (I managed to get Kiran Desai's The Inheritance of Loss for 99 cents, for example), and I still like to browse the aisles at physical bookstores and will usually grab a book or two while I'm there even if I could get it on Kindle.

Just view it as two different ways of reading, each with their own pros and cons, not as something you have to throw your hat into one particular ring for.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Has the Book Barn ever tried a book exchange kind of thing? I was thinking a stickied thread like the one on RPG.net would work well here - people post what they're willing to trade/sell, and what they have to trade/sell.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Argali posted:

Has the Book Barn ever tried a book exchange kind of thing? I was thinking a stickied thread like the one on RPG.net would work well here - people post what they're willing to trade/sell, and what they have to trade/sell.

It's been talked about before, but I don't think it ever happened.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey was there a thread for Scary Stoires to tell in the Dark? I read those books between sixth grade and middle school, and nothing has scared me as much as Stephen Gamel's illustrations coupled with Alvin Schwartz's stories. To wit, it's most famous image.

Addy
Oct 14, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

If you have room for both, have both. My kindle is for travelling, for reading multiple books at one time*, and for finding 'new' and interesting stuff from places like the Gutenberg project that I'd never find in a bookstore. My 'real' books are for when I want to read a favorite or for a 'special' book (ie a new book by a favorite author).

If you don't have room for both, then kindle, hands down, and use the library as a source of 'real' books a few at a time.

*Side note ,wow, do I wish something like the Kindle had existed when I was a kid and reading choose your own adventure books. I liked to know every ending, but not just by flipping through and reading them. I'd take any scrap of paper I could find nearby at the time and tear it into tinier and tinier pieces, numbering each one, and bookmarking each 'choice' page as I went so I could backtrack any time I hit an end (good or bad) and see what happened with the other choices.

Edit:

barkingclam posted:

I think e-readers are okay for casual reading, but it's easy to start skimming and jumping past stuff you don't like, plus you're reduced to passive reading. Unless the Kindle/Kobo/etc have changed, you can't write notes in the margins and underline and dogear pages you want to refer back to. Footnotes are a hassle, too. Until they offer a different experience than reading a book, I'm not too interested.

I've only ever owned the one Kindle version (4 I think?). Not sure about footnotes as I'm using it for purely leisure reading - but it has the ability to bookmark, highlight and make notes. I make extensive use of the bookmarking feature and I love it - when I'm reading an author who uses words I don't use or references something I don't know (ie a piece of music or art), I can mark it to look at later, rather than stop reading and look now, or forget to later on. On the other hand I doubt I'd use it to make notes. The kindle system of typing is to have a single button bring up an on-screen keyboard, and use the arrow keys to select characters one at a time. Pretty excruciating. I believe there was a Kindle with a keyboard but I don't see it as a current version on Amazon's site.

On another side note, the Kobo is a piece of poo poo, IMO. Our library has loaners and I had a three week period to try one out. It was slow as gently caress - there was a delay every time you wanted to turn a page, so quickly flipping through a book was impossible, and I read fast enough that it really killed the flow of the book. In short, a three-week trial of the Kobo ended in me heading straight to Staples and slapping down the extra $30 to get a Kindle instead of a Kobo.

Addy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 29, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Kobo truly is a poo poo ereader, however the app on iPad is not bad. I've used it for one book that was only available on their store for some reason, not on Amazon or iBooks.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Addy posted:

On the other hand I doubt I'd use it to make notes. The kindle system of typing is to have a single button bring up an on-screen keyboard, and use the arrow keys to select characters one at a time. Pretty excruciating. I believe there was a Kindle with a keyboard but I don't see it as a current version on Amazon's site.

The Kindle touch has an on-screen keyboard that gets pulled up whenever you select a search bar or whatever, it's really convenient. Much better than I'd imagine using arrow keys would be.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Woot has a bluetooth page scanner (wand style) on sale today at tech.woot.

Might be worth grabbing if you are looking for a way to convert old paperbacks into ebooks that aren't available as ebooks.

59.99 and 5$ shipping.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm trying to remember this book I read in middle school about a boy on a bike who was trying to find his father or something, but there are these interrogation scenes throughout the book and at the end it turns out he's being detained in a government facility or something and they're trying to find his parents' secrets. It's probably pretty widely read or something--it feels like something that may have been on a lot of reading lists for middle school students--but the title and author are completely eluding me at the moment. Help?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I Am the Cheese, by Robert Cormier.

PB_Hobbes
Sep 11, 2012
Purchased a Kindle Paperwhite, and I'm in the process of winnowing my physical library to facilitate a move to a Manhattan apartment.

With books I tend to revisit, I'm springing for the Kindle versions. The Lord of the Rings consumes a tremendous amount of precious shelf space, but the Kindle's e-ink still struggles to make maps and detailed illustrations legible.

The reviews on Amazon for this title yielded little useful information regarding the quality of the experience. Does anybody have the Kindle version? Opinions?

(And yes, I already know I'm a dork for asking.)

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I have a Kindle, but at the moment I'm really not going to buy any books for it since I need to save up for major Christmas purchases. But I'm aware of the fact that there are several free books. Now I'm trying to figure out if there are any free classic books, old sci-fi and that. I managed to get Journey to the Centre of the Earth and The Lost World on the kindle, but where else can I get more books that are legally free?

And to just make it more complicated, I'm not American, so Amazon.com really closes the doors on that.

Any directory of free classic literature open for Europeans somewhere?

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
I think gutenberg.org is open internationally? I was able to use Canada's while in the US no problem, anyway. I'd give that a shot - they have every classic ever and you can just download the .mobi and use Calibre to shunt the files over. The e-reader thread in IYG or the e-reader thread in TBB are very helpful too.

Edited for links

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Iced Cocoa posted:

I have a Kindle, but at the moment I'm really not going to buy any books for it since I need to save up for major Christmas purchases. But I'm aware of the fact that there are several free books. Now I'm trying to figure out if there are any free classic books, old sci-fi and that. I managed to get Journey to the Centre of the Earth and The Lost World on the kindle, but where else can I get more books that are legally free?

And to just make it more complicated, I'm not American, so Amazon.com really closes the doors on that.

Any directory of free classic literature open for Europeans somewhere?

Baen free library offers decent sci-fi fare free od charge. Project Gutenberg has some classic sci-fi titles available. Download Calibre to convert other formats to Kindle compatible mobi.

E:fb

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This is a pedantic point, but I was wondering if anyone could help me. In my 1980 Penguin copy of Lolita, page 33 or a bit into chapter 9, it reads "...the big men on our team, the real leaders we never saw, mere mainly engaged in checking the influence..." (emphasis mine). Is this a sincere misprint, substituting M for W, or Nabokovian tricksiness?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mr. Squishy posted:

This is a pedantic point, but I was wondering if anyone could help me. In my 1980 Penguin copy of Lolita, page 33 or a bit into chapter 9, it reads "...the big men on our team, the real leaders we never saw, mere mainly engaged in checking the influence..." (emphasis mine). Is this a sincere misprint, substituting M for W, or Nabokovian tricksiness?
That's a misprint, it's supposed to say were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

AreYouStillThere posted:

I think gutenberg.org is open internationally? I was able to use Canada's while in the US no problem, anyway. I'd give that a shot - they have every classic ever and you can just download the .mobi and use Calibre to shunt the files over. The e-reader thread in IYG or the e-reader thread in TBB are very helpful too.

Edited for links

AFAIK, the various Gutenberg sites aren't restricted by region, but may contain different books based on local copyright periods. For instance, the US Gutenberg doesn't contain anything by George Orwell, the Australian site does.

http://gutenberg.net.au/

They don't have as many formats as the US site, however.