Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've had almost every alien commanding game be a great one so far. You always get new players who are really willing to take advice and want to learn about how to play since the experience is often so bizarre for them. I'd always have the newest, worst player go gorge for me (after running them through how to evolve) and teach them how to put up hydras and clogs near the second hive location. Then I send them a crag and whip and congratulate them when they resist a push :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Is somebody interested in a 4-pack? Here's me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Edelguard

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
When marine commanding, is there any icon or visual ping that occurs when players ask for ammo, health, or orders? I hear audio of the requests when commanding, but I have to go to the map and check every single player group individually. Is there any direction?

Siroc fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 5, 2012

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Siroc posted:

When marine commanding, is there any icon or visual ping that occurs when players ask for ammo, health, or orders? I hear audio of the requests when commanding, but I have to go to the map and check every single player group individually. Is there any direction?

They kind of broke this on the release patch, but you can click the banners on the right side to snap to whomever made the request. At the moment you have to click all over the banner to get the right spot, but that will be fixed. You also used to be able to press spacebar and it would take you to the most recent request, but they broke that at some point too.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 5, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Spacebar still works, you just have to hammer on it a few times.

It's really annoying!

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Gormless Gormster posted:

But yeah, if you're commanding, talk a lot, plan a lot and always update your team. It's crucial, and its extremely annoying when you get a silent commander who treats the game like a resource race and leaves all the planning to the players.

Leader of men - Team carries out the commander's vision, operates like a well drilled military machine.

Starcraft player - Team flops aimlessly like a bunch of wet fish and gets eaten alive by aliens.

This was from a few pages ago but, holy poo poo, this times a billion.

I would much rather have a commander that talks nonstop than someone who just never says anything. I always pester the poo poo out of the commander to give me orders, even as an alien. Nothing works better than a commander telling 8+ skulks where the enemy is and how they can flank the marines.

Remember, a retarded plan uniting 10 soldiers is better than no plan and 10 disorganized soldiers.

RabidWeasel posted:

I definitely think that aliens are somehow less fun than they were in ns1, possibly because of fade/lerk being comparatively weaker and onos being just a huge sack of numbers requiring no skill to play

Apparently dropped onoses are kind of rediculous balance-wise but I've never actually had a comm drop one early though from the sound of it, it just makes the "fade/lerk aren't really worthwhile" thing more pronounced.

Oh, and 3-hive abilities are tear-inducingly underwhelming. There's absolutely no pressure as a marine to get more than 2 CC locations. Marines get to build up their arms lab and have their stock unit double in survivability and dish out 30% more damage wheras the aliens only get one upgrade which is a raw 'numbers' boost, so if you join a game late as aliens and you're a skulk it's easy to feel worthless compared to a freshly-spawned marine.

I'd disagree with point 1, but 2 and 3 are pretty spot on.

I love lerking more than anything else in this game. I get a consistent KDR of at least 5/1, and it's not like I'm killing a guy and running just for the sake of my score either. Perching in a dark, high cieling and spraying a guy with spikes before flying down and biting him as he tries to run away is loving priceless.

Also, nothing is more awesome than doing a high speed spore strafing run on a big group of marines clumped in a hallway, and then as EVERY SINGLE ONE turns to shoot you, you have a group of skulks run in and gently caress them up. Then I turn around and gas them again. The marines can either run from my poison clouds and get bit by the skulks, or stay and fight in my poison. It's brutal.

The one and only time I played an Onos was when a Khammander dropped one for me and said "Defend our stuff." So I just chilled in a big room with some craigs and hosed up anybody who came near. I was consitently charging down groups of 3-5 marines without much of a problem. I think a lot of Onos' are just retarded and run straight into the open thinking they are invincible, whereas an Onos really needs to be used like a giant, terrifying ambush class. Or at least used as a decoy for the smaller aliens.

Your last point is totally correct. I loving hate joining late game as a skulk because I get the default 20-resources, so literally all I can do is hope I have evolution upgrade options and then just roam around and pray that I have a team who is organizing grouped attacks for me to participate in. Late game, 1v1 skulk/marine the marine will win every loving time because of their ridiculous default damage/armour.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 5, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Yeah, if I don't get orders I'm going to get high and wander off somewhere, usually scouting. I specifically chose my username with being given orders in mind.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Slappy Moose posted:

This was from a few pages ago but, holy poo poo, this times a billion.

I would much rather have a commander that talks nonstop than someone who just never says anything. I always pester the poo poo out of the commander to give me orders, even as an alien. Nothing works better than a commander telling 8+ skulks where the enemy is and how they can flank the marines.

Remember, a retarded plan uniting 10 soldiers is better than no plan and 10 disorganized soldiers.

I'd disagree with point 1, but 2 and 3 are pretty spot on.

I love lerking more than anything else in this game. I get a consistent KDR of at least 5/1, and it's not like I'm killing a guy and running just for the sake of my score either. Perching in a dark, high cieling and spraying a guy with spikes before flying down and biting him as he tries to run away is loving priceless.

Also, nothing is more awesome than doing a high speed spore strafing run on a big group of marines clumped in a hallway, and then as EVERY SINGLE ONE turns to shoot you, you have a group of skulks run in and gently caress them up. Then I turn around and gas them again. The marines can either run from my poison clouds and get bit by the skulks, or stay and fight in my poison. It's brutal.

The one and only time I played an Onos was when a Khammander dropped one for me and said "Defend our stuff." So I just chilled in a big room with some craigs and hosed up anybody who came near. I was consitently charging down groups of 3-5 marines without much of a problem. I think a lot of Onos' are just retarded and run straight into the open thinking they are invincible, whereas an Onos really needs to be used like a giant, terrifying ambush class. Or at least used as a decoy for the smaller aliens.

Your last point is totally correct. I loving hate joining late game as a skulk because I get the default 20-resources, so literally all I can do is hope I have evolution upgrade options and then just roam around and pray that I have a team who is organizing grouped attacks for me to participate in. Late game, 1v1 skulk/marine the marine will win every loving time because of their ridiculous default damage/armour.

Spores are nightmare as marines. I never noticed until I was spored as a marine that it covers your screen with green poo poo that you can't through. If the aliens aren't scanned with the helpful little targeting circles you can't shoot poo poo.

Aliens of course, don't even notice unless they aren't running infravision for some weird reason.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Guesticles posted:

Yeah, if I don't get orders I'm going to get high :350: and wander off somewhere. I specifically chose my username with being given orders in mind.

I do the same thing.

I still have a deathly fear of commanding. I think that has more to do with the fact that I can't figure out the control panel than anything else, though.

edit: I think I must've joined a noob game about an hour ago because I munched through 3 exos in a row with a skulk. By myself. :okpos: That's not supposed to happen, right?

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 5, 2012

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The commander interface is the worst enemy you'll face in the game

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Onos with Silence and Celerity are absolutely hilarious to play, especially if you can mange to pull off the elusive rear attack.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I wish I had more to do with resources as a skulk, honestly. I never feel useless- I'm more effective as a skulk than I am as a Fade or Onos easily. I was a dedicated team skulk back in my NS1 competitive days, only evolving to drop a hive or a collection of towers or whatever when I was full up.

Otherwise? Scouting, effectively commanding, and picking off marines constantly. Don't underestimate the strength of good skulk play, even against good players you can cause some loving havoc.

And once we get a better FF mode back, you better believe we'll be even more terrifying.

I also completely disagree that Lerk and Fade are weaker than they used to be. Lerks have one of the most powerful things in the world in their favor- that poison, even ignoring damage, blocks so much drat sight that you can't see a drat thing. A single Lerk making a flythrough before skulks come in could let 2 skulks take 4+ marines, easy. And Fades, Jesus, they kill full-armor marines in a few hits, just like before, and it's harder to hit them while they're blinking than it used to be.

rt4 posted:

Probably because I'm used to NS1's style from back in the day, but I've encountered almost no issues whatsoever.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 5, 2012

cringe
Mar 7, 2008
If marines can aim, the fade is a downgrade from the old NS. 100 armor with carapace? It dies in 2 lv 2 shotgun shots. I'm not talking about the bad marines who attempt to sprint away from a blinking fade, I mean vs competent players. A good lerk is a terror, a fade is a waste of res at the moment.

And anyone who thinks onos is bad is not playing right. Under umbra with carapace, that's 5600 hp the marines need to knock off, and it kills all of them in 2 hits. The onos is the only alien capable of effectively charging a marine encampment and allowing the lower lifeforms to deal some damage before instagib.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Marines really need the HMG back. having exosuits is good but making it so they're the only things with any late game guns is really loving stupid. Even if they don't want to add the HMG that was in NS1 they need to add *something* to fill the mid-late role for marine weaponry.

quaunaut posted:

I also completely disagree that Lerk and Fade are weaker than they used to be. Lerks have one of the most powerful things in the world in their favor- that poison, even ignoring damage, blocks so much drat sight that you can't see a drat thing. A single Lerk making a flythrough before skulks come in could let 2 skulks take 4+ marines, easy. And Fades, Jesus, they kill full-armor marines in a few hits, just like before, and it's harder to hit them while they're blinking than it used to be.

Yeah fades are stronger but aliens intel gathering is weaker which makes their entire "pick of lone marines and terrify marines who are in big clumps by randomly hitting people while blinking past" dealie a lot more risky because suddenly you can barely tell where anyone on their team is unless you're looking straight at them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Benagain posted:

Onos with Silence and Celerity are absolutely hilarious to play, especially if you can mange to pull off the elusive rear attack.

Stealth Onos is the best Onos. The reaction when they walk into your face and get stuck on the ceiling by holding the jetpack button is priceless.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
Marines need a tier-one mobility upgrade that lets them ride around on segways.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
An I missing something on how to favorite servers? I want to find a couple of good ones and stay on them to get that great sense of community that some ns1 servers had.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Captain Beans posted:

An I missing something on how to favorite servers? I want to find a couple of good ones and stay on them to get that great sense of community that some ns1 servers had.

When you're not on a server, star on the far left, the filter at the top. When you're on it, no idea.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In the server browser, click the star to the left of the server's name.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

rt4 posted:

This needs to be the thread title.

Edit: With Silence Onos, I've walked into a base with marines in it and gotten the power to 40% before they even know I'm there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drone_Fragger posted:

Marines really need the HMG back. having exosuits is good but making it so they're the only things with any late game guns is really loving stupid. Even if they don't want to add the HMG that was in NS1 they need to add *something* to fill the mid-late role for marine weaponry.
It's called the flamethrower. No, really. Being on fire cuts Alien stamina regen to 60%, sure your colleagues' (you did bring friends right?) level 3 assault rifle and shotgun will still take a while to take down that Onos but in the meantime said Onos isn't actually able to Onos at you, so your biggest worry is that he's going to run away before you finish him off.

cringe posted:

And anyone who thinks onos is bad is not playing right. Under umbra with carapace, that's 5600 hp the marines need to knock off, and it kills all of them in 2 hits. The onos is the only alien capable of effectively charging a marine encampment and allowing the lower lifeforms to deal some damage before instagib.
The problem is that the Onos looks like an end-boss with end-boss health, but it's not. Learning when and how to run away is the most important part of playing an Onos well. That and knowing where your nearest Gorge is at all times.

e: I'm not saying there's a problem with the Onos's toughness, I'm saying that misunderstanding how tough the Onos is is a big factor in new players's trouble with it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 5, 2012

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I sort of wish the documentation in this game was better. There are the tutorial videos but they only cover so much and some of them are just videos of the devs playing without much explanation. Does Lerk gas do anything other than gum up the marine screen? Does it do damage or gently caress with your movement/accuracy?

I feel pretty useless as a Skulk, I think that's just because I haven't played shooters in forever and I'm bad at this game though. I thought I was fine but then I got off the rookie servers. Like once I get into a dogfight with a single marine that I've managed to ambush silently from behind it's maybe 50/50 (I'm getting better at walljumping and leaping to be a frustrating target but biting people while circlestrafing is hard). The vast majority of engagements, though, involve me spotting a marine or two from a distance when I'm on a wall or ceiling and trying to parasite them and run away (usually with half or less health remaining if I even manage to stay alive, stupid rifle accuracy). I know it's all about ambushing and flanking as a Skulk and that's what I'm trying to do but it's not working for me. And if I do manage to bite a guy in the back he's always quick enough to turn around and gun me down before I can get the other two in.

Without talkative commanders (and talkative commanders are always Marine-side) I'm basically scouting and harassing until I evolve to something higher, but I feel like I die if a marine so much as looks at me. Are there any decent videos for basic Skulk play besides the really introductory developer ones?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lerk spores does plenty of damage, but marines are usually pretty quick to get out of the way. Like everything else in this game, it works way better when combined with the chaos of some teammates doing more direct attacks.

The lerk also has another type of gas called umbra which cuts bullet damage in half for aliens inside the cloud.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Boing posted:

I sort of wish the documentation in this game was better. There are the tutorial videos but they only cover so much and some of them are just videos of the devs playing without much explanation. Does Lerk gas do anything other than gum up the marine screen? Does it do damage or gently caress with your movement/accuracy?

You should check out the wiki. Some of the stuff is really out of date but it still has a lot of good information. Lerk spores do 20 damage per second when you're in them but only damage health.

Also wow, I was really impressed with a game last night where we got camouflage first. I didn't realize you could move and remain cloaked. It's a ton of fun for skulks, but completely useless for lerks...

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 5, 2012

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

rt4 posted:

Lerk spores does plenty of damage, but marines are usually pretty quick to get out of the way. Like everything else in this game, it works way better when combined with the chaos of some teammates doing more direct attacks.

The lerk also has another type of gas called umbra which cuts bullet damage in half for aliens inside the cloud.

Yeah, the Lerk gas stream is best when used to start a Skulk attack. Lerk swoops through the group of marines gassing them, they all turn to fire on you as you fly away, skulks run up from the bank and tear them all to pieces because they can't see anything.

Also, as to picking off marines 1v1 (because any higher ratio and you won't win, period): Always be jumping or leaping (the ability). Specifically, when you jump at them (not leap) try to jump to the side of them, not directly at them, and do a mid-air turn to bite them. I don't really know why, but it seems like being in the air makes it WAY harder to get hit. Seriously, just keep jumping around the marine in sporadic directions and you'll kill him super quick.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Boing posted:

I think the loading screen tooltips would be perfect for this, and we should probably crowd source some of them since there are only about 10 right now.

My suggestions for loadtip topics:

• Resource cap is 100, and doesn't overflow to other players when capped (is this true?)
  • There is a limit of 200 team resources, beyond which they're wasted
  • Each resource node generates 1 personal res per player every ?? seconds, and 1 team resource every ?? seconds
  • A longer description of each alien power that has to be unlocked --
  • What Fade vortex actually does
  • Bile bomb hurts marine armor and robots and exos and while it is a dot it actually stacks as well (is it linear?)
  • Fade's are still vulnerable while blinking
  • One point of armor prevents more than one point of health in damage
  • Exactly what onos stomp does (JPs are immune even when on ground right?)
  • Grenade launchers and switch axes do bonus damage to structures (and flamers?)
  • It takes x hits to kill a skulk with an unupgraded rifle, y with carapace
  • Hydra will build and heal by themselves if placed on infestation; otherwise a gorge will need to heal spray them
  • Heal spray will quicken the growth of newly placed alien structures
  • Whips will fling back grenades launched at them
  • A shift can teleport itself

And I'm sure many more.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

My suggestions for loadtip topics:

• Whips will fling back grenades launched at them

That changes everything!

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

• What Fade vortex actually does

And I'm sure many more.

I would like to know the answer to this.

The onos stomp is actually pretty useful. It's gotten me killed a few times.

It also took me forever to figure out that I needed to evolve again (or evolve after selecting them) to use my extra alien skills. I just figured that out 20 minutes ago. How the gently caress I was killing anything, much less exos, with an un-evolved skulk is beyond me.

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 5, 2012

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Vortex renders the target immune to damage and also makes them unable to deal damage for the duration.

Also structures, though that seems a niche usage unless you want to absolutely make sure that phase gate isn't working. Edit: More specifically, it shuts down structures for the duration.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Unable to function at all.

If a Fade repeatedly uses Vortex on a Phasegate for instance, no marines will be able to come through.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Boing posted:

Without talkative commanders (and talkative commanders are always Marine-side) I'm basically scouting and harassing until I evolve to something higher, but I feel like I die if a marine so much as looks at me.
Learning how to play a good Skulk can be tricky since you're so fragile on your own. Your mobility is your greatest advantage, so make sure you're constantly moving around and being unpredictable. Attacking from above is usually the safest plan of action since someone is less likely to be looking upwards instead of ahead or behind them.

It's also important to try not to enter situations where you're likely to lose - if you get killed a lot, it means that you're giving the enemy team more resources to play with. Certainly, you can expect to die sometimes during a big rush, but think twice before going after a group of three marines on your own. That leads into my next point, sometimes you'll need the help of your team. If you've got a microphone, try calling out lone marines for nearby skulks - it's a lot easier to take down marines with someone backing you up, and there's no shame in tag-teaming a marine out on his own.

If you want to see specific examples of being unpredictable (and just more advanced play in general), go look at Garfu's stream and find videos where he plays on the alien team. Notice how he doesn't just run in circles on the floor - he's disengaging mid-fight to jump off of walls and disorient the hell out of the marines, and most people don't expect it.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
From what I've read it basically creates an area where players inside neither take or deal damage from/to anything. I've never seen it in use yet so who knows but it sounds like a decent panic button if you want to escape, protect a low hp Onos, force a marine squad to move, etc.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Theoretically you could have the Fade run into a base, and keep using Vortex on the defending marines while the alien force with the Fade kills the power without taking damage.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Vortex is amazing but no one ever gets it. Blink into the marine base and vortex the arms lab. Suddenly the entire enemy team has lost 60% of its armor and damage. It really makes people freak out when stuff sporadically stops working.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

randombattle posted:

Vortex is amazing but no one ever gets it. Blink into the marine base and vortex the arms lab. Suddenly the entire enemy team has lost 60% of its armor and damage. It really makes people freak out when stuff sporadically stops working.

It affects marines already in the field? I thought when an arms lab was destroyed that existing marines retained the bonuses but new spawning ones didn't and figured Vortex worked the same way.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

7c Nickel posted:

Unable to function at all.

If a Fade repeatedly uses Vortex on a Phasegate for instance, no marines will be able to come through.

This seems like it'd be really useful but I almost never see it researched and never actually seen it used.

quote:

It affects marines already in the field? I thought when an arms lab was destroyed that existing marines retained the bonuses but new spawning ones didn't and figured Vortex worked the same way.

I can confirm that if the arms lab goes down your armor immediately drops back to 30.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

AegisP posted:

Yep if the arms lab is destroyed, all upgrades, even on marines in the field, are rendered null. If you're having difficulty breaking a marine base, it's a good idea to try to stealthly take down their arms lab to make it easier for your fades and onos to wipe them out. This is also why it's a good idea for marines to build an extra arms lab or 2 in a secluded spot (or another base) in the late game, just in case there's a rush on your main base.

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!
Is there anything vortex won't work on? I imagine constantly blinking in and vortexing their main power node would be hilarious.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

It doesn't work on powernodes, but a great tactic is to kill the power node and then have a fade keep vortex up in front of it so it can't be repaired by marines, further sealing your victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Garfu posted:

It doesn't work on powernodes, but a great tactic is to kill the power node and then have a fade keep vortex up in front of it so it can't be repaired by marines, further sealing your victory.

From what I've seen, successfully taking down a power node in a base gives you something like a ~75% chance of winning right then regardless. If Fades are up and their IPs are unpowered, they don't stand much of a chance. But maybe with really top-tier players that isn't quite so certain.

• Locked thread