Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I was actually pretty impressed with FTL's tutorial. Short & sweet and covered all the important basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Oh god you guys I can't deal with all the drones. You guys... you guys... oh god.

Seriously the first part of the flagship is super easy, just beam some dudes to take out the weapons and then grind it down however you fancy but I can't work out how the hell I am supposed to deal with the millions of drones.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Oh god you guys I can't deal with all the drones. You guys... you guys... oh god.

Seriously the first part of the flagship is super easy, just beam some dudes to take out the weapons and then grind it down however you fancy but I can't work out how the hell I am supposed to deal with the millions of drones.
Bomb the drone bay ASAP, and get some boarders over ASAP to take out the gunner pods and/or control. You DID kill most (but not all of) the crew in the first phase, right? They don't respawn so if you knock it down to one or two guys the second phase is kind of a joke if you just punch the drone bay down unopposed.

You can ignore the boarding drones unless they hit a critical point, but you NEED to knock a few notches off of the drone control before the surge comes along. Cloak is also an excellent way to avoid the drones.

Bombs are really one of the keys to making the boss a cakewalk a lot of the time.

What level are your engines at? I generally don't expect to beat the boss unless I go in with 45% or higher evasion.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Either use cloak (level 1) to dodge the power surge of drones, or have high levels shields and engines. If you have enough evasion the attack drones won't likely connect enough to to hurt you before the power surge ends.

The last thing is to have something to deal with missiles and boarding drones, knock out their systems or have defense drone(s).

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
This has to be my best play yet, after 11 hours of play I finally have a chance to get one shotted by the flagship.

Though I really should have wasted some scrap on shields. Also, for some reason I picked up a total of 3 stasis pods.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Unlocked the Red Tail and it really is great.

I wonder what the engine guy is thinking... :supaburn:

Also finally got the Slug ship the same run. Now to hunt for the crystal... And some B variants.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

coyo7e posted:

Bomb the drone bay ASAP, and get some boarders over ASAP to take out the gunner pods and/or control. You DID kill most (but not all of) the crew in the first phase, right? They don't respawn so if you knock it down to one or two guys the second phase is kind of a joke if you just punch the drone bay down unopposed.

You can ignore the boarding drones unless they hit a critical point, but you NEED to knock a few notches off of the drone control before the surge comes along. Cloak is also an excellent way to avoid the drones.

Bombs are really one of the keys to making the boss a cakewalk a lot of the time.

What level are your engines at? I generally don't expect to beat the boss unless I go in with 45% or higher evasion.

I was on an amazing run in the engi-a ship so I could put all the systems up to full if I needed. I had no idea the crew didn't re-spawn though because I had an anti-bio beam and could have just killed them all from afar in the first phase.

And my weapons were the ion gun an s bomb and the anti-bio beam, with an anti-ship II drone, a beam I drone and a hull repair drone.

Seriously if I'd known about the crew that would have been amazingly easy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ Yeah, if you kill EVERYONE the AI takes over and everything passively repairs (albeit slowly) so be aware of that - if you can levae one lonely gunner alive for a while though, you can merrily chip down any systems you like.

Jeesis posted:

This has to be my best play yet, after 11 hours of play I finally have a chance to get one shotted by the flagship.

Though I really should have wasted some scrap on shields. Also, for some reason I picked up a total of 3 stasis pods.

I saw the thumbnail and thought this was a modded Enterprise-D. :blush:

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Welp, as expected I died like a bitch.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
There's no way you should have lost that!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

There's no way you should have lost that!

Maybe he was already low when he got there.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jeesis posted:

Welp, as expected I died like a bitch.

I hope your shields guy was busy healing and his replacement was heading to the room.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Scalding Coffee posted:

I hope your shields guy was busy healing and his replacement was heading to the room.
That enemy has a lot of guns and a missile, I doubt shields would've mattered if his hull was already at like 20%.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

gently caress that noise, is all i have to say to people who say Rock-A is easymode. I bet i am going on 30 attempts and i still end up ragequitting when i run out of missiles in S2, with no teleporter to be found, or non-missile weapons.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Missiles are a strange beast. When they're ancillary, they're worth the 6 scrap in the shop. When you don't need them, they're worthless. And when you really, really need them they're worth their weight in gold. Chunks of pure platinum that you fire at the enemy ship, and hope to god you don't waste more than 2-3 because you're starting to run out. I hate missile boats, personally, and my first move in the Rock A is always to find some sort of non-missile weapon first.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That doesn't stop ion bombs from being the best weapon in the game.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I said missiles, I didn't mention bombs. :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lukano posted:

gently caress that noise, is all i have to say to people who say Rock-A is easymode. I bet i am going on 30 attempts and i still end up ragequitting when i run out of missiles in S2, with no teleporter to be found, or non-missile weapons.
I think I would only play Rock A on Easy. But really a lot of it is learning to eat hits and using the hull missile you start with to kill stuff more efficiently rather than more rapidly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Welp, that was by far the most ridiculous run I've ever had. Used the Engi Cruiser A with the following:

Two Ion Burst IIs
Pike Beam
Anti Ship Drone
Beam Drone
Defense Drone I
Automated Reloader
Drone Recovery Arm
40% dodge chance
4 shields
Hull Repair Drone (to swap out to in between battles, though it was never once necessary)

Also picked up two Zoltan crew members to help with power. I finished all 3 stages of the flagship without taking a hit, in record time. Really, the biggest bummer about this setup was how fast the run went. With two Ion Burst IIs enemy shields go out like they aren't even there, and once they are down you can keep shields and weapons down indefinitely. Or shields and oxygen for some extra loot, if they can't break your defenses. And two drones really rip up a defenseless ship stupid quick. I completely forgot about the pike beam most of the time. Most things died before it even charged. The best part is I got nearly all of this stuff in the first sector.

As far as "perfect loadouts" go I don't know if I would even change anything. Maybe swap the pike beam for a heavy ion? Debatable. If I had a couple more zoltans I could have had a defense drone II rather than the defense drone I, and I guess a third augmentation would have been okay (I sold the nanobots to buy the drone recovery arm). Still, I don't think I'm ever gonna find anything better than what I just got.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

So I kickstarted this way back but then I've been playing Guild Wars 2 for the last few months, so I only now got around to trying it out. I got to the second phase of the flagship on easy, and then for some reason my weapons appeared to stop doing anything. Not sure what was going on. It was awfully hectic with drones flying all over, but my shots just seemed to fly off and then vanish. Are there missile intercepting drones, maybe? And if so, what's the counter for that?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BobTheJanitor posted:

So I kickstarted this way back but then I've been playing Guild Wars 2 for the last few months, so I only now got around to trying it out. I got to the second phase of the flagship on easy, and then for some reason my weapons appeared to stop doing anything. Not sure what was going on. It was awfully hectic with drones flying all over, but my shots just seemed to fly off and then vanish. Are there missile intercepting drones, maybe? And if so, what's the counter for that?

Fire all your shots at once by turning off autofire, pausing and selecting targets when they are all charged. The drone can only shoot one thing at a time and then recharges for a second or so.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

BobTheJanitor posted:

Phase two has a single defense drone which will shoot down a missile, and sometimes even two launched at the same time. Personally, having beaten the game on normal with every ship, I don't use missile launchers for the mothership. At least not for phase 2. Stick with bombs, boarding, or just volleys and volleys of energy weapons.

Remember that a defense drone of your own will shoot down their boarding drones. So take out that rocket launcher ASAP and you will likely only have to deal with one or even no boarding drones as your defense drone zaps them away. The flagship eventually runs out of them. To reiterate: get rid of that loving rocket launcher.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Bondematt posted:

Fire all your shots at once by turning off autofire, pausing and selecting targets when they are all charged. The drone can only shoot one thing at a time and then recharges for a second or so.

Ah, so there is a drone like that. Having it sprung on you in the last fight is about the worst possible way to find out about it, but this game seems to like to kick you in the groin occasionally, so I guess that's OK. Does it only intercept missiles? Because I only had the one missile launcher (do stores EVER sell weapons?) so that sounds like an impossible scenario. My piddly beams were never going to get through all those shields by themselves.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BobTheJanitor posted:

Ah, so there is a drone like that. Having it sprung on you in the last fight is about the worst possible way to find out about it, but this game seems to like to kick you in the groin occasionally, so I guess that's OK. Does it only intercept missiles? Because I only had the one missile launcher (do stores EVER sell weapons?) so that sounds like an impossible scenario. My piddly beams were never going to get through all those shields by themselves.

Stores will sell weapons, but it's random.

The defense drones are fairly common and defense drone II can even shoot down lasers. I don't know which the Mothership has though.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

BobTheJanitor posted:

Stores can sell weapons oh yes. A tip: don't blow your load early on a burst laser mk 3 if you see one for sale, you need that scrap for other poo poo, and that thing takes a long time to charge up and uses four reactor points. Whenever I went HOLY poo poo! a burst mk 3 in sector 2 for 110 scrap and bought it I'd lose the game before I ever got to sector 8.

And you can get by with piddly weapons if you have bombs to blow up their shield room. They'll repair it quick, so make sure your weapons are charged and ready to fire when their shields go down. Then keep pounding their shields so they're busy repairing breaches/putting out fires, and again, take out that loving rocket launcher.

If you have a level 1 cloak and level 1 teleporter, you're golden for the mothership. Use the teleporter to kill the rocket launcher and other turrets (leave the plasma turret alone,) and for the latter phases time your cloak so you don't get hurt when the flagship goes SSJ periodically. For phase 2, a defense drone is a huge help to shoot down the boarding drones. So hope you either have a defense drone or a way to take down the flagship real quicklike.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 6, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's interesting to realise how much better you can do at the game once you know how it all works. 100 games in I decided to reset my save, and promptly won my first game - unlocking the Engi, Fed Cruiser, Stealth, Slug and Zoltar ships along the way, and getting access to the Redhawk.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Stelas posted:

It's interesting to realise how much better you can do at the game once you know how it all works. 100 games in I decided to reset my save, and promptly won my first game - unlocking the Engi, Fed Cruiser, Stealth, Slug and Zoltar ships along the way, and getting access to the Redhawk.

Maybe a stupid question, but how did you reset your save?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Refried Noodle posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but how did you reset your save?

Delete stuff in Users\xxx\Documents\My Games\FasterThanLight.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

omeg posted:

Delete stuff in Users\xxx\Documents\My Games\FasterThanLight.

This is part of it. Assuming you're using Steam, right click on FTL, choose Properties, and turn off the Steam Sync option. Then delete prof.sav from the folder above.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Welp, I decided to give a Normal game a shot in the Dickship and my first three attempts I get killed in the first sector before even getting past 5 warp points. Things have drones and beams and lasers and they aaaaaaaaaall go for my weapons straight off the bat and they aaaaaaaaaaall always fire first. There was literally no way for me to win.

Man, gently caress this game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Roger Explosion posted:

Welp, I decided to give a Normal game a shot in the Dickship and my first three attempts I get killed in the first sector before even getting past 5 warp points. Things have drones and beams and lasers and they aaaaaaaaaall go for my weapons straight off the bat and they aaaaaaaaaaall always fire first. There was literally no way for me to win.

After playing 20 hours on easy and getting to the point where I would win almost every time, I reset my save and started playing normal. It took another 25 hours before I got my first win.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Roger Explosion posted:

I bet there was a way to win.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

The only way to win is not to play. :colbert:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Zigmidge posted:

Well, with the last one, before I could off-load a shot, a missile took my only weapon off-line, dual lasers took down my shields just long enough for the laser drone to take that very same system down to red. It then went after my doors and artillery. My crew became very busy putting out fires and repairing drat near all of the important systems to jump away, not that it mattered what with the missiles hitting my bridge and the lasers making my engines extremely on fire.

No. No there was not way to win. Sometimes this game just decides it will go in dry and go in hard without even giving you a chance to bite the goddamn pillow.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sometimes the game just lets you win for your first try on "Normal".

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I got this on a whim last night. Is there a good newbie resource on this game? I played Normal and got spanked. Then I played Easy and got to the point where every ship I encountered outclassed me in every way possible. I never found a new weapon I could afford at a shop or as loot from fights. It was kinda fustrating. Money seems hard to come by. I hover around 30 keeping the ship healed and fueled. What am I missing?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

TShields posted:

I got this on a whim last night. Is there a good newbie resource on this game? I played Normal and got spanked. Then I played Easy and got to the point where every ship I encountered outclassed me in every way possible. I never found a new weapon I could afford at a shop or as loot from fights. It was kinda fustrating. Money seems hard to come by. I hover around 30 keeping the ship healed and fueled. What am I missing?

First big tip is, explore as much as possible before exiting, and fight every ship you can. You mostly get money from winning fights, and enemies only get stronger when you move to the next sector.

Second, focus on shields and engines early on. If you have good defenses, you don't have to spend scrap on repairs, meaning you can more likely afford to buy weapons later in the game. Usually your starting weapons are at least enough to get you through the first two or three sectors.

A good benchmark for shields: you're doing great if you have a second layer by the end of the 1st sector, a third layer by the end of the 3rd, and all four layers by the end of the 6th. You can get away with only three layers, and slower upgrades, but it's a good goal to shoot for. Try to have at least 40% evasion by the end of the game, too.

Third, if you spot a shop, try to "circle around" it until you have 50-100 scrap. It's not worth visiting a shop with <40 scrap, making it a waste of a jump. It's all about maximizing how many profitable beacons you can visit before you're forced to move forward.

You'll learn how not to get spanked just from experience. There's often a trick to get through various tough situations without permanent losses. Until you learn all of these tricks, I recommend getting level 2 Doors and level 2 Oxygen somewhere around the third sector, so you don't die as easy to things like boarders, fire, and suffocation (don't bother powering the second level of oxygen, it's just there for emergencies).

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 6, 2012

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Ditocoaf posted:

First big tip is, explore as much as possible before exiting, and fight every ship you can. You mostly get money from winning fights, and enemies only get stronger when you move to the next sector.

Second, focus on shields and engines early on. If you have good defenses, you don't have to spend scrap on repairs, meaning you can more likely afford to buy weapons later in the game. Usually your starting weapons are at least enough to get you through the first two or three sectors.

A good benchmark for shields: you're doing great if you have a second layer by the end of the 1st sector, a third layer by the end of the 3rd, and all four layers by the end of the 6th. You can get away with only three layers, and slower upgrades, but it's a good goal to shoot for. Try to have at least 40% evasion by the end of the game, too.

Third, if you spot a shop, try to "circle around" it until you have 50-100 scrap. It's not worth visiting a shop with <40 scrap, making it a waste of a jump. It's all about maximizing how many profitable beacons you can visit before you're forced to move forward.

You'll learn how not to get spanked just from experience. There's often a trick to get through various tough situations without permanent losses. Until you learn all of these tricks, I recommend getting level 2 Doors and level 2 Oxygen somewhere around the third sector, so you don't die as easy to things like boarders, fire, and suffocation (don't bother powering the second level of oxygen, it's just there for emergencies).

Thanks for this, it will shape my next attempt. I did get far enough to snag the first ship variant, is it worth trying? And what's the secret to not panicking when dudes beam aboard and start shanking my people?

Oh, and with slavers, I tend to fight them until they offer me a crew member, is that the recommended way of doing things early game?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

TShields posted:

Thanks for this, it will shape my next attempt. I did get far enough to snag the first ship variant, is it worth trying?
Yeah, the Torus is a great ship, and in fact was the first one I won with (on normal). Ion + Drones is really easy to scale up.

quote:

And what's the secret to not panicking when dudes beam aboard and start shanking my people?
Pause tons, since you'll have to split your attention between the ship fight and the crew fight. I'm not the best at crew combat, so others might have better advice, but basically, rely on the med bay as that's your advantage. You can drain oxygen to force boarders out of rooms you don't want them in, but be careful because that can backfire fatally if your 02 or Doors systems take damage. One strategy is to move your entire crew into the med bay and vent the rest of the ship, which guarantees a win against the boarders but leaves you really vulnerable to incoming fire. Crew combat is way less stressful after you upgrade your doors.

quote:

Oh, and with slavers, I tend to fight them until they offer me a crew member, is that the recommended way of doing things early game?
Yeah, slavers are a great source of crewmembers, and they almost always surrender.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TShields posted:

I got this on a whim last night. Is there a good newbie resource on this game?
The3 ship and Random Events pages on the wiki re very helpful, although the wiki's not 100% complete and may be lacking in some of the rewards or hidden Blue options in encounters.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

• Locked thread