Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Car Stranger posted:

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but I'm looking for a good flash card app.

Anki/AnkiDroid sound really good but I need to memorise some equations and I don't know LaTeX, so it sounds like I'd need to create an image for each card (unless there's some kind of MS Office-esque equation designer my dumb self can use which will automatically convert to LaTeX markup) - which I'm willing to do, but I don't know if there's a better option out there.

E: In addition, any idea how usable the AnkiDroid 2 beta is?

A couple of free editors are MathCast & Online Equation Editor (converts to LaTeX). For flashcards I use StudyDroid which also has an online editor. Haven't used Anki yet, but it does appear to be a more robust flashcard option. I'm going to give it a try soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I've got ES File Explorer but frankly have no idea where Drive has saved anything, and don't really have any idea how it might help, considering that the failure to save seems independent of what programs I use. Welp. (I'm searching my whole file structure right this second for my Drive files).

Because Google keeps files offline in weird places buried in the SD card that's hard to find and renamed to weird things so I'm guessing it could be related to that. ES allows you to copy the file over just as it is to anywhere you want in local storage.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Anki is the poo poo, the v2 beta is fine, and if you're just typing equations (rather than formatting documents) you can learn latex in approximately 30 seconds. Unless you're doing some real crazy math I guess.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Mathematics

I've never actually used Anki with latex but if I had to guess:
- enclose equations in $$
- use \ for special symbols and functions (look up the names on the link above)
- use { } for arguments
- use ^ and _ for superscript and subscript, respectively
- use as many spaces as you want, latex will space the equation correctly

e.g. two silly examples:
code:
$  \cos (2\theta) = \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta $
$ y_1 = \ddot{x} = f ( x, \dot{x}) = \frac {x^2} {\dot{x}} $
use mathbin.net to practice or test your equations.

E: mathbin uses [EQ] and [/EQ] instead of $ to denote math mode, that's the one thing I'm not sure how Anki handles. Another thing to try would be to start equations with \[ and end with \]

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 6, 2012

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Anki is the poo poo
I've just started using AnkiDroid and am still undecided about it. The actual flashcard part works really well and I really like their version of SRS much better than the app I used on iOS, but the card management and general app navigation is horrible. Do they fix these things with the beta?

Did you just install the latest from here?
http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/downloads/list

Might have to give it a go.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Actually so far I've only made cards on the PC version, though from what I've seen of the Android version (I mainly use it for the actual studying) card management is OK. Yes, that's where I got the beta - I never used the first version so I can't compare.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Everybody's favorite file manager, Solid Explorer, also allows you to bounce between your hardware storage and the cloud. You have to enable it and then you can change it by touching the icon in the upper left corner.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Because Google keeps files offline in weird places buried in the SD card that's hard to find and renamed to weird things so I'm guessing it could be related to that. ES allows you to copy the file over just as it is to anywhere you want in local storage.

Okay, I set up my ES to sync with Google docs, and that's great.

But then I can't save in the directory my Drive files end up when I open it up there either, and it'll be a pain to move things around just to edit them.

I'm guessing it's still a permissions issue. How might I confirm whether that's the case and/or fix it? Rooting my phone? Somehow changing where ES puts my files so that it's somewhere that doesn't cause problems?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Any recommendations on battery saver apps? I've been mildly satisfied with Juice Defender but not sure if I want to fork out some money for it and see what alternatives are out there. Are they even effective? My Gnex has poo poo battery life and I'm almost contemplating buying an extended battery.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Not sure if it was a feature of Touchwiz or not, but I used to love how my SGS3 had app shortcuts show up in the notification screen whenever headphones were plugged in. Now that I just flashed to CM10 I'm missing this feature. Does anyone have a solution?

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Teeter posted:

Not sure if it was a feature of Touchwiz or not, but I used to love how my SGS3 had app shortcuts show up in the notification screen whenever headphones were plugged in. Now that I just flashed to CM10 I'm missing this feature. Does anyone have a solution?

Use poweramp! :)

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Poweramp can't stream from my cloud can it? I love poweramp's interface so much, but I'm using play because all my music is on google play. God, google play's interface is so loving awful and unintuitive.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guilty posted:

Poweramp can't stream from my cloud can it? I love poweramp's interface so much, but I'm using play because all my music is on google play. God, google play's interface is so loving awful and unintuitive.
The new now playing queue is what finally made me say gently caress it and give up entirely on it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

leonje posted:

Use poweramp! :)

Wait, how does a music player help with conditionally putting app shortcuts in the notification shade? I can't think of an app that replicates this offhand actually, as yes that was a part of TouchWiz.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

DemonMage posted:

Wait, how does a music player help with conditionally putting app shortcuts in the notification shade? I can't think of an app that replicates this offhand actually, as yes that was a part of TouchWiz.

I forgot how to read, my bad.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Is it finally time to switch to Chrome browser? Currently using Dolphin...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Is it finally time to switch to Chrome browser? Currently using Dolphin...

If you use Chrome on your desktop I find it hard not to. Dolphin/Stock have many advantages over Chrome, but since Chrome can sync passwords/history/open tabs, it makes it a clear winner in my book.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dolphin browser is still a thing? What's it got?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Dolphin Browser Mini just runs fantastically well on older phones, so that's something.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Dolphin browser is still a thing? What's it got?

Speed and fantastic Lastpass integration.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ahh, I don't use lastPass.

Is it actually faster than Firefox? Which I believe is the current winner in speed over Chrome or Internet, isn't it?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there any way to get spotify working on my Canadian rear end phone? I've tried logging on to the site on my computer with an American ip but it onlylets you download the windows app.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
Should I go to the game thread if I want to know the best games to get for android?

The Bards tale and Final Fantasy 3 ($16 loving dollars so maybe not) have piqued my interest. I already have Angry Birds Space and a few other quick flash game rip offs so I'm looking for something that I can put some hours into.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yes, you should, that's why it's a separate thread.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nevermind I have found slacker radio and now my life is complete

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lando2 posted:

Should I go to the game thread if I want to know the best games to get for android?

Of course not. You should start a new thread in Cavern of Cobol.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there a SMS app that can:

A) Send SMS/MMS from your carrier phone number, not a separate phone number (like Google Voice) and
B) Doesn't require other users to install a specific app (like Whatsapp)

Basically trying to get unlimited SMS without paying Verizon for unlimited SMS.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

There are lots of options. I used GoSMS for awhile. There are some stupid features like Doodles that require the other person to use GoSMS, but you do realize that any app that sends texts from your phone is going to incur the normal charges you'd get for sending receiving texts from the official SMS app, right?

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Any recommendations on battery saver apps? I've been mildly satisfied with Juice Defender but not sure if I want to fork out some money for it and see what alternatives are out there. Are they even effective? My Gnex has poo poo battery life and I'm almost contemplating buying an extended battery.

I use juice defender on my gnex but to be honest there's only so much to be done with its tiny battery.
Before you go spending money on a larger battery, consider a new nexus 4. It's really cheap, has got a better battery.

In Australia, a new battery costs close to $100, so I'm seriously considering just upgrading the whole phone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has Woofi ever been updated? There hasn't been a new version on the play store since 2011. The guy asked people to contact him about getting another alpha version on his website back in July but I never heard anything. It keeps crashing and I'm just going to get rid of it if it's not being updated anymore.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cojawfee posted:

Has Woofi ever been updated? There hasn't been a new version on the play store since 2011. The guy asked people to contact him about getting another alpha version on his website back in July but I never heard anything. It keeps crashing and I'm just going to get rid of it if it's not being updated anymore.

I must have missed your email or something. I got a dozen people running the alpha now.

However, I'm seriously considering open-sourcing/abandoning it.

I don't use it anymore, and I made close to nothing off of it, and I'm sick and tired of dealing with every different manufacturer and carrier having some bullshit different way of handling location fixes.

People running the alpha: Thoughts about just releasing the current alpha version to market? Does it work ok-ish for you?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Require More Fire posted:

Is there a SMS app that can:

A) Send SMS/MMS from your carrier phone number, not a separate phone number (like Google Voice) and
B) Doesn't require other users to install a specific app (like Whatsapp)

Basically trying to get unlimited SMS without paying Verizon for unlimited SMS.
Any replacement SMS app will do A and B, but doing your C (which you don't explicitly state) isn't possible. If it is an SMS it is going to count. The only messaging app that best fits your criteria is email (uses your own identifier, doesn't require specific apps, and doesn't use SMS).

Cruseydr fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 8, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

I must have missed your email or something. I got a dozen people running the alpha now.

However, I'm seriously considering open-sourcing/abandoning it.

I don't use it anymore, and I made close to nothing off of it, and I'm sick and tired of dealing with every different manufacturer and carrier having some bullshit different way of handling location fixes.

People running the alpha: Thoughts about just releasing the current alpha version to market? Does it work ok-ish for you?

It works better than the current market version, so you'd might as well. It's not perfect but it works better than having to just turn wifi on and off all the time.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

What determines which app will respond to headset controls ?

If I'm listening to a podcast or something in another app (PocketCasts in this case) and I pause with the headset button it will pause but then PowerAmp will start up and start playing music (even if it's not running).

It's only PowerAmp that seems to takes over, the high priority setting is unchecked in PowerAmp options which I assume is suppose to prevent this. Of course disabling headphone controls in PowerAmp solves the problem but I don't want to be constantly toggling that setting every time I want to listen to music.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sendo posted:

If I'm listening to a podcast or something in another app (PocketCasts in this case) and I pause with the headset button it will pause but then PowerAmp will start up and start playing music (even if it's not running).

It's only PowerAmp that seems to takes over, the high priority setting is unchecked in PowerAmp options which I assume is suppose to prevent this. Of course disabling headphone controls in PowerAmp solves the problem but I don't want to be constantly toggling that setting every time I want to listen to music.

I didn't have this problem on my GNex until I "upgraded" from stock to CM10.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Sendo posted:

This is one of the least transparent things I have found about android. If I pause something in PocketCasts, half the time pressing the button again will call the last number I dialed. Basically I don't ever trust it so I never use it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I didn't have this problem on my GNex until I "upgraded" from stock to CM10.

Hmm now that you mention it this has only started happening to me since updating to 4.1.2 (stock) on my GNex.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

How can I add widgets to my lockscreen? I would like to replace the default GS3 lock screen clock & date with beautiful widgets.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slider posted:

How can I add widgets to my lockscreen? I would like to replace the default GS3 lock screen clock & date with beautiful widgets.
On stock Ice Cream Sandwich and up, widgets are in the app drawer, but it wouldn't surprise me if TouchWiz made you longpress on the homescreen like Gingerbread and before used to do.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It doesn't. Though you can't put widgets on the lock screen that I'm aware of without a lockscreen replacement (if then). Keep in mind, the vast majority of TouchWiz is stock ICS with maybe some additional stuff (like the nearly standard Notification Toggles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Any recommendations for an app that will let me customize the lock screen then? I'm using novalauncher, not touchwiz if that matters btw.

• Locked thread