Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kiranamos posted:

SGS2 Hercules T989 running CM9, the best I get is the occasional "H" instead of 3G. As far as I know Jellybean isn't officially out for my phone, so I can't get CM10 yet unless I want to use an unofficial build?

T989 has official CM10 nightlies at get.cm (or use the awesome CyanDelta on Play) and they work great, I've had them as my daily driver for over a month. There's also an overclocking kernel at XDA called King Kangers One that will let you overclock and undervolt for some pretty solid battery.

Also on CM10 they have both an "H" icon and "H+" for T-Mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

It worked..
But it will only come back after reflashing gapps right? Not CM10 monthlies? I suspect the next version of gapps will have calendar missing, maybe that's hoping for too much though.
I'm pretty sure Calendar.apk is source-built (and so is CalendarProvider.apk) and thus will return with every CM10 flash. What's included in the GApps is GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk which allows the stock Android Calendar to sync with Google so the GApps does not have to change, CM has to change to not build the AOSP Calendar.apk.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

My own phone...lied to me :negative:

also your provider's marketing department. I also have an AT&T iPhone 4s, and it counts HSPA+ as "4g". It's all bullshit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

To be fair to T-Mobile, if Sprint hadn't called WiMAX "4G" they wouldn't have needed to rebrand their existing HSPA+ 3G as such. T-Mobile's HSPA+ is at least as fast and in most real-world cases (much) faster than Sprint's WiMAX so Sprint touting their 4G network left them with either trying to educate the public on why that's misleading or simply saying, "Welp, our network is faster than their 4G network so ours must be 4G!" It's not like the consumer was going to win in either case.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Apparently there is an updated gapps with updated versions of Gmail, Maps, Talk, Calendar, Clock, Photo Sphere, the latest keyboard, and more.

The phandroid article has a few commenters that have had success.. but I'm still a bit leery. Other than a virus scan/md5 check, I don't really know how to verify the package.

Also, looks like the update google wallet.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I've been trying to download it but all the links appear to be dead

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

In this XDA thread, there are some links. Not exactly the same GAPPS as the phandroid article, but should be able to get you started.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

rotaryfun posted:

I've been trying to download it but all the links appear to be dead

I was able to grab it and check it.
MD5 Sum: a7e77feeae685285f4c96213589d41ac
Link to my Dropbox.

edit.
drat these people.. Just installed, the jury is still out, but this was the message during install:
code:
Mounting this Bitch File
Removing 4.1 Files
Deleting Old Data
Dothing This poo poo
Fixing Permissions.
Unmounting
Rock Out

deong fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 6, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I'm a little hesistant to do it. Guess I could always revert to a backup.

edit: welp installed the camera and keyboard from the xda thread. The camera didn't work and I still had my normal camera. Keyboard looks like it's been edited because the word that would come up about the finger when swiping was god ugly and not the same as I've seen in other videos. Just restored my backup.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 6, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Mine seemed to go fine.

Have a photosphere!

Keyboard works as well, but it is a lot slower at swyping than swype is. I'll play with it, but I don't expect to be using it just yet.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
hey guys I just got a samsung admire for metroPCS from a friend encountered the "cant do poo poo captain roadblock" I used the one click root so I already have as much as superuser...aaaand thats where my understanding of having a real phone ends. any help is much appreciated.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

Mine seemed to go fine.

Have a photosphere!

Keyboard works as well, but it is a lot slower at swyping than swype is. I'll play with it, but I don't expect to be using it just yet.
The leaked 4.2 keyboard is a lot faster than Swype, not slower.

vvv I'm on the one that was posted on Android Police and subsequently taken down. As far as I can tell the swiping is way, way faster than Swype ever was for me. The only thing bothering me about it is access to symbols sucks. I'm definitely going to try SwiftKey Flow when it comes but I'm no longer angered daily by Swype. Once this becomes the actual, official stock keyboard I'm 99% sure I'm going to uninstall Swype altogether.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 6, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Touch typing seems faster, but the actual swyping is slower on my phone. Didn't 2 versions come out? Maybe this one had just the first keyboard. I'll play with it some more to see, but that's my first impression.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The one I'm using is from the Nexus 4 system dump, and it is pretty good. I wish you could configure the Swype aspect more, but I'm coming from using Swype for almost three years straight and I'm guessing this will take time to get used to.

Still, solid as gently caress and not nearly as laggy as Swype. I've uninstalled the latter from my device as of today. :dance:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Gyshall posted:

The one I'm using is from the Nexus 4 system dump, and it is pretty good. I wish you could configure the Swype aspect more, but I'm coming from using Swype for almost three years straight and I'm guessing this will take time to get used to.

Still, solid as gently caress and not nearly as laggy as Swype. I've uninstalled the latter from my device as of today. :dance:

Was that the one from KillDROIDHack?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Explain "dirty-flash"? I'm running a cm10 based rom jellytime for dhd from 10/28. Dev recommends clean-flash, I know how to do that, it takes a long time to get everything set up again even with titanium. But people say a dirty-flash is ok. Do I just flash the new upgrade? would I need to re-flash gapps? clear dalvik or cache or anything?

My rom flashing is mostly limited to flashing cm7 rcs & stables being happy with them until the next comes along and not having to do anything but flash the upgrade.

Also, AT&T One X vs. GS3, is the one x worth considering at all community rom wise?

VVVV thanks VVVV

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 6, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Explain "dirty-flash"? I'm running a cm10 based rom jellytime for dhd from 10/28. Dev recommends clean-flash, I know how to do that, it takes a long time to get everything set up again even with titanium. But people say a dirty-flash is ok. Do I just flash the new upgrade? would I need to re-flash gapps? clear dalvik or cache or anything?
You never need to clear Dalvik or cache anyway as they're invalidated by the new flash. A dirty flash is just the new ROM on top of the old one, no wiping of any kind. GApps doesn't need to be reflashed unless you want face unlock to work.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

deong posted:

Was that the one from KillDROIDHack?

I'd hope not, that sounds like a hilariously bad screen name.

I found it on one of the threads on Rootzwiki. I'd try to find it but I'm on my phone right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
God ducking drat it Google, if I disabled blocking offensive words in my settings, why won't your new keyboard let me swipe them?

Edit: Hey! My camera app was force-rebooting my phone across a billion CM10 nightlies with system clears and everything, and the new 4.2 gapps fixed it! Plus with Photosphere I can finally get my entire e-penis in frame.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 7, 2012

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Is there any reason why loading bugless beast ROM would break Soundhound or Shazam? Neither app can hear any music though the mic but people can hear me when I speak to them. The last ROM I had installed disabled Navigation but my location still worked... Am I doing something wrong or are things like this normal when messing with ROMS and such?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Hey! My camera app was force-rebooting my phone across a billion CM10 nightlies with system clears and everything, and the new 4.2 gapps fixed it! Plus with Photosphere I can finally get my entire e-penis in frame.

I'll admit, that with Apple touting the NEW PANORAMA! feature in iOS6, I'm feeling a little smug with my photospheres, even if I've had nothing cool to shoot yet. It felt like Googles way of bashing the new feature heh.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Well I've gotten tired of the battery life on my samsung galaxy s2, and I've finally decided to get around to rooting it. While looking at my phone's information I learned that I apparently have never updated the drat thing and have an android version of 2.3.6. :psyduck:

So I did a little bit of research, and basically I know that I want to upgrade to jellybean. I'm unsure as to what rom to use and so on, but I can look at that later.
I was actually looking through this thread for some ideas when I saw something about an emmc brick bug. So I installed the app that checks for it and it confirmed that I have a bad chip.

So now I'm back to square one of not knowing what to do.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
I recently upgraded to a Note 2 and I was going to sell my old Epic4g to a friend but I can't seem to be able to remove my sprint info from it.. I tried flashing back to stock, doing factory reset, everything I could find and yet it still retains my old phone number and sprint acct name.

Is this something that sprint will do when they reactivate the phone on another line?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Dark Solux posted:

I recently upgraded to a Note 2 and I was going to sell my old Epic4g to a friend but I can't seem to be able to remove my sprint info from it.. I tried flashing back to stock, doing factory reset, everything I could find and yet it still retains my old phone number and sprint acct name.

Is this something that sprint will do when they reactivate the phone on another line?

Yeah, when the new owner goes to activate it that information will be changed to the new persons account info.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

I tried installing the deodexed Nexus 4 dump from this really awful xda thread that was linked earlier (towards the bottom of the op) but the directions are useless. "just move them to system/app"? Yeah, that doesn't do anything.

I was hoping to avoid the conflicts everyone else was running into when they flashed the apps but it looks like I'm going to have to do it the hard (easy) way, maybe? Can anyone spell out installing the apks from the dump?

Apologies if I've said a bunch of really loving stupid things in this post! :downs:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Trapezound posted:

I tried installing the deodexed Nexus 4 dump
Please don't do this. Not only will it not work, but you'll fuckup whatever ROM you have installed.

Some 4.2 apps might work on older versions of Android. But they're compiled for and expect 4.2 framework libraries. Running them on an older version of Android will result, at best, with certain features not working. At worst you'll experience crashes and possibly data loss. It's not worth it.

Furthermore, any xda idiot who claims "Not all apps have been tested but should work no problem" is a drooling moron.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, I installed that zip and not only is every new app working perfect, it actually fixed the camera on my CM10 ROM. Typing this with that pimping swipe keyboard. Backup and try?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Glad it worked out for you. Actually I'm kind of surprised that you were able to test everything, given that the xda OP couldn't be arsed into doing that.

But yeah, installing 4.2 apps on a recent CM10 install is the most likely scenario in which it's going to work. And even then, it'll work only if the device doesn't require application-level hacks to work with broken HALs and stuff.

But for all I know Trapezound is trying to install a 4.2 system dump over a 2.3-based stock ROM or something. That's not going to work.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But for all I know Trapezound is trying to install a 4.2 system dump over a 2.3-based stock ROM or something. That's not going to work.

Hah, no, 4.1.1 (Android Revolution for now; wanted to try something other than CM for once) Galaxy Nexus.

I'll just flash it like everyone else.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
This may be better suited for the Tmobile or Apps thread, but I'm gonna try the rooted thread first..

I've got a CM10 GNex that I use with the Tmobile/walmart $30 plan (100 minutes, 5gb data). I'm currently deciding if I can continue with the plan (and likely upgrade to the Nexus 4) at the expense of religiously counting my voice minutes, or if I should jump ship to Verizon and pay the higher monthly costs (and wait until a good LTE phone releases).

Any suggestions for using wifi/voip calling to conserve voice minutes? Right now the best I've found is the Vonage app. While a little clunky, it works good enough for outbound calls and it does a good job of appearing like it's dialing from my regular phone number. The only things I'm missing are a solution for receiving calls (right now I just ignore calls and then call back using Vonage), and if possible a more seamless experience that uses the default android dialer. I think porting my number to GV would solve this, but I don't want to lose MMS functionality. Any other solutions that I've overlooked?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

NiVRaM88 posted:

I think porting my number to GV would solve this, but I don't want to lose MMS functionality. Any other solutions that I've overlooked?

You don't have to port your number to GV. Just get a new GV number. Sure, you'd have a new number, but if you know you're going to be talking for longer than a few just call out on it instead. People can still reach you on the old one, and you don't have to worry about always being on wifi to receive calls on it, but then GV will let you make calls out when you're planning a longer one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Does anyone with CM10 use one of those MHL adapters to plug their phone into a TV? I just got one for my GS3 and it's not working, even with power and everything. I'm using the newest daily of Euroskank, if it matters. I read that it only works on the stock rom, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Edit: Oh gently caress, I need this too, don't I? :doh:

Alright, so I got the adapter today and it's still not working. Is there something in settings that I have to enable to make this work? Has anyone using CM used one of these things?

Edit: Sounds like it might be the kernel I'm using, apparently it's supposed to work right out of the box. I'm going to try to flash CM10 and see if that works.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 8, 2012

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Doesn't the SGS3 use some stupid non-standard MHL adapter?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What's the best ROM for battery life on the SGS3?

I had been running CM10 and it was pretty awful. Switched AOKP and it seems slightly better, but still worse than my old iPhone.

Here's my battery life this morning. Not sure why Maps is using so much? Is this Google Now using the GPS? I haven't opened the Maps app today.

tonic fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 8, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

There was a Maps update a little bit ago that made it take a dump on battery life. Doesn't matter which ROM you run, if you have the maps update, it will constantly wakelock your phone.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

is there a workaround?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

tonic posted:

is there a workaround?

You can disable it.

Settings > Apps > Maps

You'll have to uninstall updates first, but then the option to disable shows up.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

You can disable it.

Settings > Apps > Maps

You'll have to uninstall updates first, but then the option to disable shows up.

Yeah, uninstalling fixed it.

Is this issue present in google apps 4.2? Think I'll revert to CM10 and install those. Thanks for the help.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

UnbornApple posted:

Doesn't the SGS3 use some stupid non-standard MHL adapter?

I got the adapter that is (supposedly) specifically designed to let the S3 use this one. I'll have to gently caress around with it some more when I get the chance, I'm really thinking that it's just the rom I'm using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

NiVRaM88 posted:

This may be better suited for the Tmobile or Apps thread, but I'm gonna try the rooted thread first..

I've got a CM10 GNex that I use with the Tmobile/walmart $30 plan (100 minutes, 5gb data). I'm currently deciding if I can continue with the plan (and likely upgrade to the Nexus 4) at the expense of religiously counting my voice minutes, or if I should jump ship to Verizon and pay the higher monthly costs (and wait until a good LTE phone releases).

Any suggestions for using wifi/voip calling to conserve voice minutes? Right now the best I've found is the Vonage app. While a little clunky, it works good enough for outbound calls and it does a good job of appearing like it's dialing from my regular phone number. The only things I'm missing are a solution for receiving calls (right now I just ignore calls and then call back using Vonage), and if possible a more seamless experience that uses the default android dialer. I think porting my number to GV would solve this, but I don't want to lose MMS functionality. Any other solutions that I've overlooked?

This has nothing to do with being rooted as you correctly deduced so I have no idea why it's not in the prepaid thread. GrooveIP ($5 on market) or Talkatone (free on market) will let you place 4G/Wifi calls for free. You will need a Google Voice number to use either. You can get a free number and make outgoing calls from that if you'd like to keep incoming MMS functionality. But then your free outgoing calls will confuse friends if they pay attention to caller ID. MMS is loving stupid anyways and there's a million better ways to send media, so I'd just as soon port to GV.

Whatever you do, it sounds like your T-Mobile service is fine, so hell no don't pay out the rear end for Big Red to come and gently caress you.

My solution is I ported my number to GV, and I carry a small dumbphone from work that only does voice calls. When I get an incoming call it'll ring both phones so I take them on the work phone to conserve minutes. You could do the same thing with one of those free low-income phones if you're eligible, or just go to the store and get a prepaid voice-only phone and having both would still be cheaper than a Verizon post-paid plan. And let's be honest, if you're running CM10, carrying a backup dumbphone for emergencies is hardly the worst idea. It's winter and you have enough pockets.