Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Two awesome things I love about ANB: there are multiple cow designs with different bell collar colors and spots, and when you water more than one square it summons a little raincloud :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oooh. Neat. Do other animals get a little variety?

I ordered my copy (and 3DS) off of Amazon only two days ago, so I don't expect to get them until the end of the week.

Also picked up Super Mario 3D Land at Revol's suggestion.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I have a DS. What is currently the best Harvest moon game. I really only usually focus on maximizing my crop output and fully upgrading tools/houses/sheds. What is the best game to make the largest farm with the most crops that I can put out right now preferably with the least amount of tool upgrades. I was looking at Tale of two towns but apparently that wasn't very good or customization like the DS version, and the DS versions tool upgrade was a chore. I think I'm babbling at this point.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally got my copy in the mail. Plush cow is great and stuff. However, I am wondering; while you should save, well, everything. Does this include the bugs and stuff you can catch, or am I free to ship those for cash? I know bees are used for apiaries, but other than that.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Krataar posted:

I have a DS. What is currently the best Harvest moon game. I really only usually focus on maximizing my crop output and fully upgrading tools/houses/sheds. What is the best game to make the largest farm with the most crops that I can put out right now preferably with the least amount of tool upgrades. I was looking at Tale of two towns but apparently that wasn't very good or customization like the DS version, and the DS versions tool upgrade was a chore. I think I'm babbling at this point.

In Two Towns, the tool/house/field expansion upgrades are available once a month from a notice board quest. You get a ton of field space to start out with though. The first couple months will be rough with your low grade tools, but even the first tool upgrade is a huge step up so you don't suffer long. You also can't do the romance stuff if you want to get field expansions early. Otherwise the builder will only give quests for upgrading your house. I love the farming side of HM games the most and I had fun with Two Towns. If you can find it cheap, go for it.

Back on topic, I think everyone should post pictures of their HM plush collections. I want to see all the cute animals. :3:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Trying to get some of the less... tacky outfits right now, but everything seems to require poo poo like great alpaca yarn or Suffolk yarn, and I'm still in the first winter trying to get great wool. I have like 34 hours at the sanctuary to go to get great wool, I'm on two out of three sheep pregnancies to get suffolk sheep, and another month to get alpacas, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out here, either through trading or just the multiplayer animal farming, since both players get a copy of the materials. I have tons of minerals I can trade, if nothing else. And bees. So many bees.

Friend code is 0731-4814-7892.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Miijhal posted:

Trying to get some of the less... tacky outfits right now, but everything seems to require poo poo like great alpaca yarn or Suffolk yarn, and I'm still in the first winter trying to get great wool. I have like 34 hours at the sanctuary to go to get great wool, I'm on two out of three sheep pregnancies to get suffolk sheep, and another month to get alpacas, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out here, either through trading or just the multiplayer animal farming, since both players get a copy of the materials. I have tons of minerals I can trade, if nothing else. And bees. So many bees.

Friend code is 0731-4814-7892.
Oh crap, I actually have to go to the animal sanctuary? Ugh. How does it work? Is there even anything to do there? I got bored and left when I went.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Star Guarded posted:

Oh crap, I actually have to go to the animal sanctuary? Ugh. How does it work? Is there even anything to do there? I got bored and left when I went.

Same here, except I also went in the beginning of the day and thus wasted a whole day.
Does fertilizer ever get better? Like the kind where you only have to put it down every so often?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I really wish Animal Sanctuary had a fishing spot or something. Do you really just sit there for a few hours?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Star Guarded posted:

I really wish Animal Sanctuary had a fishing spot or something. Do you really just sit there for a few hours?

...Yup. Pretty much. I just let it idle and do other things instead. Generally don't go until around 1:00 PM every day, though.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Night Gaunt posted:

Back on topic, I think everyone should post pictures of their HM plush collections. I want to see all the cute animals. :3:

Here's mine!

Note that my cow only has one horn. He came that way. :( I think plushie quality went way up with the last two, though. My alpaca has this bump on his chin that makes it look like he's pouting and that's drat cute. Also the yak is the softest thing. Any of you who haven't experienced the softness of the yak plushie are missing out.

Oh, my! How unseemly! Stop it, you two! It's against nature!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You're missing the chicken!

I got the Chicken/Chick combo plush way back with Island of Happiness. Girlfriend has had it for some time now though, so I can't take a picture.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Met posted:

Oooh. Neat. Do other animals get a little variety?

I think what's going on is that the cows have different designs based on their personalities. There are three different personalities/designs I've seen so far. And there is another cow model (the old fat cow design with the big nose) that you can unlock later on. (Are these Jersey cows? I don't know.) Other than that, I do believe the only variety in animal appearance is between the different "breeds", regular chickens vs silkies, etc.

I'm only on Day 14 of the first Summer so I've only seen a tiny percentage of the game so far and am definitely not an expert. Fogu will probably tell us everything we want to know about this stuff soon.

Also I really like paddies but what I'd REALLY like is to be able to kidnap a duck from the mountains to live in it on my farm forever.

Rainbow Unicorn fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 7, 2012

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
What benefit is there to befriending animals, if this is even possible? I've discovered that the bear loves honey. Okay... so why would I want to keep giving him honey? It does seem like there may be wild animal based item drops. The first time I hammered the tree, I got some kind of animal felt drop.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Revol posted:

What benefit is there to befriending animals, if this is even possible? I've discovered that the bear loves honey. Okay... so why would I want to keep giving him honey? It does seem like there may be wild animal based item drops. The first time I hammered the tree, I got some kind of animal felt drop.

I don't know about this game, but in TTT the animals would present you with gifts if you became buddies with them.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Revol posted:

They will give you presents on your birthday.

I'm not kidding.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Erm... I really hope it's not like that in this game.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So is Harvest Moon like a hardcore, job-oriented Animal Crossing? I'm on the fence about picking this game up (it'd be my first Harvest Moon game ever) and I'm while I'm drawn in by the awesome town-building elements, I'm dissuaded by stuff like this:

Miijhal posted:

Star Guarded posted:

...Yup. Pretty much. I just let it idle and do other things instead. Generally don't go until around 1:00 PM every day, though.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Harvest Moon has it's similarities to Animal Crossing, but there's a bigger time and resource management aspect to it, as well as things like marriage and town customization.

Also worth noting that an in-game hour is equivalent to one minute, so 50 in-game hours is equivalent to fifty minutes, and you can't actually do it all in one chunk, since the animal sanctuary is only open on certain days of the week and limited to between 10:00 AM and 9:00 PM in-game time.

I'd definitely recommend it, though. It can be slow, but there's a lot of content and by the time you reach Fall of the first year you'll generally have enough to do in a day that you won't really be spending any time just sitting around.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 7, 2012

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The Animal Sanctuary seems to be the worst new game mechanic the series has introduced probably in a while (unless it was in another game I didn't play), but it's a minor part of the overall experience. I'm just about done with my first year and I'm enjoying the game.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Karthe posted:

So is Harvest Moon like a hardcore, job-oriented Animal Crossing? I'm on the fence about picking this game up (it'd be my first Harvest Moon game ever) and I'm while I'm drawn in by the awesome town-building elements, I'm dissuaded by stuff like this:

Honestly, that's kind of a tough question for me to answer because I've never played an animal Crossing game, but stuff like that (timesinks for no reason) are kinda rare in this series. Time is essentially a currency in the hm series, though, so if you're worried about going at it optimally you might find it a lot more stressful then the actual games.
I'd recommend taking a look at one of the others to see if you like the core Gameplay first, and there's nothing wrong with looking at the first one and just incrementing the mechanics 20 years.

I don't think anyone is about to call harvest moon a hardcore anything though.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Night Gaunt posted:

Here is mines I got over the years.

Did anybody get the jumbo cow plush. If Natsume would have sold the yak and jumbo cow as a combo for the preorder, I would have got.

Also the jumbo cow has the best pick up line

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Miijhal posted:

Harvest Moon has it's similarities to Animal Crossing, but there's a bigger time and resource management aspect to it, as well as things like marriage and town customization.

Also worth noting that an in-game hour is equivalent to one minute, so 50 in-game hours is equivalent to fifty minutes, and you can't actually do it all in one chunk, since the animal sanctuary is only open on certain days of the week and limited to between 10:00 AM and 9:00 PM in-game time.

I'd definitely recommend it, though. It can be slow, but there's a lot of content and by the time you reach Fall of the first year you'll generally have enough to do in a day that you won't really be spending any time just sitting around.
For some reason I thought they meant letting the game idle for several real world hours, not in-game hours. That makes much more sense :downs:

Now that that's been cleared up, I'll probably pick this game up to tide me over till the new AC game debuts next year.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Also ok I took a picture of my Harvest Moon swag cache. I hope magnets count.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My game finally came in! :toot: The only problem is because of hurricane Sandy the shipment of plushie yaks got delayed. Oh, I better get that drat yak! :argh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Girlfriend sent me a picture of the Chicken/Chick I got with Island of Happiness.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Jesus God in heaven, why did nobody warn me the gardening space was so gigantic.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I have both a Vita and a 3DS, what's the best option for a Harvest Moon game on either of those platforms? (Including DS, PSP and PSOne, I guess?)

I'm really only looking to buy one, so it doesn't have to be the newest one, just the funnest.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
It looks like New Beginning will be the definitive handheld HM game; so far reviews have been very positive and it sold extremely well in Japan and America. Get that if you have a US/Canadian 3DS, otherwise go for Rune Factory 3 or Tale of Two Towns.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Definitely get a New Beginning. Even though the start is kind of slow, it's been a lot of fun for me once it got going.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Toriori posted:

Jesus God in heaven, why did nobody warn me the gardening space was so gigantic.

You're not meant to put it on your farm, right? I literally could not find a spot where it would fit, so I cut down all the trees on the west side of town, moved Rebecca's house closer to Neil's, and put it there. And I'm still not sure what to do with it but at least I found a place to put it. :toot:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Crap in a hat, I lost my first cow festival! I raised Bessie perfectly. Never missed a day, fed her a treat every day. There can't be anything more I could have done, at least not in my first year.

So, status report: Early Fall, Year 1. I have a cow, a chicken, maybe 11 bee hives, 8 young trees and 17 full dirt patches. I completed renovation 2 just a few days ago. I have a blue heart with Irhikoa-chan or whatever.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm not really liking A New Beginning so much, but I guess I've had too high of expectations after having played Rune Factory 3 (and even Hero of Leaf Valley).

One thing I really liked about those games was that the characters were "living" in the same world you were -- you could see characters, in passing, traveling through town from one part of their schedule to the next. In A New Beginning, characters just kind of teleport around when you walk into a new area. Now, understandably, having characters pathfind given the configurable world layouts could be a logistical nightmare, but man does it kill the illusion of a living town when the town is only ever inhabited by one wandering NPC who happens to be stuck inside some dumb fence behind a building.

I'm also not liking how lifeless these characters are. Every Harvest Moon game has the same problem where you're essentially listening to the same two lines of dialogue every day until you give them enough corn or whatever, but at least the dialogue in Rune Factory 3 gave the characters some characterization. Likewise, RF3 was awesome in that the characters had their own cliques, that they sometimes traveled in, and the conversations you had with them could change slightly if another NPC was around (just an added line or so, but still).

Then you have an item storage system that doesn't show you the contents of the bin you're depositing to (or to your own rucksack that you're withdrawing into), characters who are eating for half of the goddamn day, unskippable cutscenes if you happen to be in town when a certain store is opening... I just don't get how they could've got such simple things so wrong after having nailed everything before.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Does anyone know what the "other" category includes for the monthly festival competition for fruit/veggies/flowers?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

Does anyone know what the "other" category includes for the monthly festival competition for fruit/veggies/flowers?
Mushrooms for sure. Maybe wheat/soybeans/etc, but I'm not positive about that.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
My character appears to be sparkling when she walks, what's up with that?

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Toriori posted:

My character appears to be sparkling when she walks, what's up with that?

Are you in winter? If so thats just the particle effects they went with on walking over sonw.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
With Grand Bazaar, I made posts in this thread (well, an older HM thread whatevs) of info about the game that wasn't quite readily available, especially because the FOGU guide is incomplete. I'm going to do that with this one too. I just started listening to my HM SNES soundtrack (oh yeah), so let's do this.

STARTING GUIDE

SAVE EVERYTHING, except for non-bee insects and cooked items. Those you can sell for profit. This rule goes doubly for rocks and branches. Do not chop/break them unless you absolutely need the lumber/stone. Lumber becomes far beyond plentiful soon, and somebody in town sells both items. There will be blueprints that need the actual rocks and branches, and if you run out, it can slow down your town revitalization progress.

Like the game says, befriend Iroha as soon as possible, for she gives you the tool upgrade blueprints. Give her the scrap metal you find, you'll get enough to take her to blue heart by the end of Summer. By then I believe you'll have all the blueprints she has.

BLUEPRINTS

When I started into the building/object placement gameplay, I was disappointed that there was no way that we could share our designs. Beyond that, I thought it would be cool if somebody made a website where you can copy your design and share, which would also make it easier to plan this stuff out.

Looks like somebody had the same idea, but instead of a website, it's a Google Doc.

Link to The Main Farm Layout
Link to The Main Town Layout
Link to The West Town Layout

LIVESTOCK

Apparently, livestock treats don't work the way that I imagine everyone assumes they do. You don't just throw the specialty treats into their mouths. It seems like a combination of both the normal treat and the specialties (cow treat, etc) unlocks 'higher production'.

CROPS

As per the Natsume Facebook page, you can limit watering your crops to once every two days. This could help you fit in more fertilizer growth.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Revol posted:

LIVESTOCK
Apparently, livestock treats don't work the way that I imagine everyone assumes they do. You don't just throw the specialty treats into their mouths. It seems like a combination of both the normal treat and the specialties (cow treat, etc) unlocks 'higher production'.
What I've been doing with treats is giving all my livestock regular treats at the beginning of the month, from the first till the number on that chart.
Cows get regulars on the 1st - 7th
Jersies on the 1-4th
Sheep on the 1st & 2nd etc.
After that, they all get their specialty treat.
Most animals need 31 treats to raise production, so the days in a month are a pretty easy way to keep track. It doesn't quite work with Yaks, Llamas and Alpacas, but I round for them. Yaks get 2 regular treats a month, Llamas and Alpacas get 1.
You could also just give regular treats on the weekends, but that's inefficient, and I can't have any of that. This farm runs like a machine. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
That's how it worked with treats in ToTT so I figured it was the same here but I couldn't find the right numbers so thanks for that :)

• Locked thread