Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What exactly do you place on the gardening space? What's the point of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Maximusi posted:

What exactly do you place on the gardening space? What's the point of it?

http://fogu.com/hm11/events/gardening-show.php

- You gain points from individual items, sets of items, and themes

- You cannot use the same garden design two times in a row, but that is the only limitation. You can have two designs and switch between them each time.

- If you score a 0 on the tour, people will be loving pissed and you will lose 500 friendship points with any village residents who are on the tour. One way you will score 0 points is if you use over half of your previous garden design. If your space is empty, you lose 1000 friendship points.

The point is you can earn FP and money. If you get the top score, somebody will offer to buy the objects you used for twice their sell price.

Plain Cheese Pizza
Aug 26, 2006

Sssh! They might have daggers...
When do you get the bee hives, I've been walking around with a bag full of bees and its making me really nervous.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lobster Fancy posted:

When do you get the bee hives, I've been walking around with a bag full of bees and its making me really nervous.

Pretty sure you get it after finishing the first town renovation. Also you shouldn't be carrying those on your back! Stuff them into a wooden box 5 metres from where you sleep :v:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Thanks for posting that, that's definitely not how I thought treats worked :smith:

I'm done with the gardening tour. Even after following that guide everyone still hated what I did. Luckily I just finished my third attempt and hopefully that's that.

Edit: So lets say i've given my cows 100+ of the cow treats and none of the regular treats. Is that cumulative or after I give my cow 7 regular treats will it now want 24 more cow treats?

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 11, 2012

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Honest Ray posted:

Are you in winter? If so thats just the particle effects they went with on walking over sonw.
Oh, I am!

Also, when will my dog start helping with the livestock? Like will it bring them in and out of the barn? He's at a heart and a half and I'm sick of pushing my sheep, cow and yak out myself.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
C'mon, everybody! Share your progress in the game like I have! Now I'm in late Fall, and I've lessened production on crops because it was too stanima and time consuming. My apple trees are finally blossoming, and I've added a few more livestock, but nothing to exciting. I'm sorta in a holding pattern until I can finally get the mine open, then things are really going to get interesting.

katkillad2 posted:

Edit: So lets say i've given my cows 100+ of the cow treats and none of the regular treats. Is that cumulative or after I give my cow 7 regular treats will it now want 24 more cow treats?

I don't know, but I highly doubt it. It would make more sense if it goes in cycles. You have to complete the one cycle, get the upgrade, then go onto the next 24+7 cycle. Right now, you're still stuck in one cycle. You'd need the 7 treats to finally get past the one cycle. Then you can do the next.

Toriori posted:

Also, when will my dog start helping with the livestock? Like will it bring them in and out of the barn? He's at a heart and a half and I'm sick of pushing my sheep, cow and yak out myself.

I can't quite find the answer to this, but in search I did find some must-know pet info.

ANB GUIDE PART 1
ANB GUIDE PART 2

GARDENING

http://fogu.com/hm11/events/gardening-show.php

- You gain points from individual items, sets of items, and themes

- You cannot use the same garden design two times in a row, but that is the only limitation. You can have two designs and switch between them each time.

- If you score a 0 on the tour, people will be loving pissed and you will lose 500 friendship points with any village residents who are on the tour. One way you will score 0 points is if you use over half of your previous garden design. If your space is empty, you lose 1000 friendship points.

The point is you can earn FP and money. If you get the top score, somebody will offer to buy the objects you used for twice their sell price.

- DO NOT SKIP GARDENING! You need to have completed three tours as a requirement for Renovation 4. If you skip them until then, you'd be stuck on that renovation for almost a year.

PETS

- You get access during Renovation 3. Build the cottage, and welcome the first man to your town who isn't a loving rear end in a top hat.

- The cat and dog will herd your livestock. Like Grand Bazaar, the number of livestock they can manage depends on how many hearts you earn with them. Unlike Grand Bazaar, the dog and cat don't split up the cow/chicken responsibilities. Either animal will care for all livestock. Seems it's just a preference now.

- You don't need to keep your pets in the same area as your barn. So if you have 2 barns, the pets will take care of it regardless of which farm they're on.

- There are commands that you can issue inside the pet barn. I don't see clarification on this, but I'll add it once I get the pet barn in-game, which will just be in a few days.

FRUIT TREES

- My research tells me that using fertilizer while a tree is still growing will increase it's star ranking, while using it when the tree is fully grown (and perhaps only while blossoming?) will increase its production. I don't believe this to be true, however. I have four apple trees that I never fertilized while they were growing. To test the above theory, I fertilized only two of the four apples while they were fully grown. I did this over half my Fall season. I just noticed that with the last batch of apples I got, I have two 1 star and two 1 1/2 star. This leaves me with a total of 10 1 star and 2 1/2 star for the entire season (my trees weren't mature until at least Fall 10ish I think).

This leaves me to believe that fertilizing trees in the adult stage increases star rank. I'm also growing four more fruit trees (I forget what kind the second tree you get is?), that I have been fertilizing since they were planted. We'll see what happens when they begin production in spring.

Revol fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 11, 2012

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'll give a farm update :3:

I've just completed my first full year! I unlocked and built my seed maker so i'm working on becoming Monsanto. Agreeing with Revol, crop farming got a little too tedious so I only have about 4 plots i'm planting on specifically to keep recycling my upgraded plants into better seeds. The entire rest of my farm has been converted into an orchard, i've probably got 40 fruit trees or so.

I've recently learned that my cattle routine is a disaster, but it's still my bread and butter as I consider myself mastered in the art of making pudding. ( It is my primary source of income. ) My first cow is almost at 10 stars so i'm hoping to win the advanced class cow festival next time it comes around.

Current Goals:

Bottles...sweet jesus I need bottles. I'm lucky if I get one a week fishing. Also i'm looking forward to when I can plant yams again.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 11, 2012

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm right at the end of my first summer and just won the intermediate level of the crop festival with a three-star tomato. I have a cow and chicken and a baby chick. I can get the first level of town restoration if I ever get around to putting some street lamps up. The only bachelor in my town is that animal dude and he's a complete dick, so I don't associate with him.

So maybe I'm a little behind the curve on this one, but taking my time is ok. :)

I was wondering what level of cooking you guys recommend I get to before I quit cooking things individually. I can grind through for as long as it's worthwhile, but it would be nice to just start grilling stacks of fish.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lobster Fancy posted:

Best idea for a survival horror game.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I'm near the end of Spring, Year 2. I have two chickens (one normal, one silkie), one cow, two sheep (I didn't realize I would need regular wool for so much and my oldest one has great wool already), one alpaca, one yak, one horse, one dog, one cat. I don't see the point in having multiple animals of the same type since giving them treats multiplies what you get from them; taking care of too many animals is annoying. I just breed to unlock more species and sell them.

I'm on town renovation 4 I think. I'm bottlenecked by the garden show and yarn balls so it'll be mid-Fall before I move on to the next one. I lost most of the first animal shows, unfortunately, but I've been doing well in the other festivals thanks to the eastern farm area making farming way less tedious.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Every time I add to my growing guide, I'll post the new information in a new reply, along with links back to the previous additions. Here's the second update as an example. But if the last update is on the same page, then I'll just update that reply, no need to spam on the same page.

And while we're talking the last update I just made, wanted to make sure everyone is aware:

Star Guarded posted:

I'm on town renovation 4 I think. I'm bottlenecked by the garden show

DO NOT SKIP GARDENING! Renovation 4 requires you complete three gardening tours. If you don't do any until Renovation 4, you'll be stuck for almost an entire year!

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Revol posted:

DO NOT SKIP GARDENING! Renovation 4 requires you complete three gardening tours. If you don't do any until Renovation 4, you'll be stuck for almost an entire year!
Yeah I'd be annoyed I didn't know this if not for the simultaneous yarn ball bottleneck (the fantastical house requires ten regular yarn balls FYI).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Revol posted:

- You get access during Renovation 3. Build the cottage, and welcome the first man to your town who isn't a loving rear end in a top hat.

Out of curiosity, is this (the rear end in a top hat part, I mean) referring to Allen? I read a thing online with some screenshots of things he says, and unless they were fake or something they looked... Pretty bad, to say the least. Like, jeez. Hope no one who didn't already know about that married him, because wow.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

katkillad2 posted:

Bottles...sweet jesus I need bottles. I'm lucky if I get one a week fishing. Also i'm looking forward to when I can plant yams again.

Are you using traps or the rod? You can cycle through three traps in about 40-50 game time minutes, and if they do turn up a bottle, they'll turn up more than one.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
This game is going to turn us all into hoarders. :stare:

I'm about halfway through the first spring. I keep trying to play it before I go to bed and I keep drifting off to sleep. Darn it for being so relaxing! :v:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm nearing the end of winter and have switched from Neil to Rod as my bachelor choice. I'd like to also stray away from crops until I can get the upgraded watering can (silver is next) so it's more efficient. I have a yak, cow, a sheep and two chickens, plenty of orchards and 16 beehives. Not entirely sure why my dog needed a small house, or why we have to go to the drat festival grounds to play fetch. Just built the maker shed. I work like clockwork.
Get up, watering plants/harvest/plant if needed, animal duties/put them outside, take dog to festival grounds, take him home, forage (from stream area counterclockwise) mine, bring Rod a mushroom, put animals back in barn, fish. Yep.

I have a few questions
Bottles- what for?
Suffolk wool- when?
Can yak milk be substituted as regular milk in cooking? Considering getting rid of my cow in favour of a second yak since their milk sells for much more. I'm all business here.
How to get my crops higher than one star?

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 11, 2012

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Roland Jones posted:

Out of curiosity, is this (the rear end in a top hat part, I mean) referring to Allen? I read a thing online with some screenshots of things he says, and unless they were fake or something they looked... Pretty bad, to say the least. Like, jeez. Hope no one who didn't already know about that married him, because wow.

Not only him, but also Neil and Klaus. Finally Rod comes along, and there's a chill dude in town that I can hang with.

I've only got the two bachlorettes in town so far, neither interest me too much. Tina is pretty goddamned cute, but I don't see any item that is easy to gift her that I can get in abundance. I've been going at Iroha only because the game forces you to get her to a blue heart anyways, but she's as exciting as a still puddle of mud.

Looking at the list on Fogu, I think I might go for Yuri. I have a thing for tomboy-looking chicks, and I see her favorite gift is herb soup, which is super-easy to make and I have plenty of the material.

Toriori posted:

I have a few questions
Bottles- what for?
Suffolk wool- when?
Can yak milk be substituted as regular milk in cooking? Considering getting rid of my cow in favour of a second yak since their milk sells for much more. I'm all business here.

Don't know, but I assume it's something to do with the Maker Shed
Don't know
I can't confirm, but I HIGHLY doubt it. I've never seen an HM game where you can substitute something in a recipe. It's very rigid in its requirements, and it all goes by the name of the item. I assume the same would go for Honey and Flower Honey.
I just grew one and a half star carrots, and somebody here got three star tomatoes. This is done through using fertilizer every day. However, what we achieved here are the limitations in one season. To go beyond, you need to essentially 'level up' your crops through multiple growings. User fertalizer, get upgraded crop, use to make upgraded seeds, upgrade crops further with upgraded seeds, and continue the cycle.

I've actually never played an HM game long enough to get real use out of the seed maker. I look forward to doing it in ANB.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
All the ANB talk really makes me want to start playing too, but I'm still in my first year in both ToTT and AP, and I have the first GB game to finish up. Trying to finish one of those before I start another...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is there a shortcut to unequiping tools without going into your bag and manually unequiping them?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Toriori posted:

I have a few questions
Bottles- what for?
Suffolk wool- when?
Bottles are for makers, you'll need 25 total, 5 per maker. No other use as far as I know.
Suffolk Sheep are unlocked by having 3 lambs born on your farm. There's a time unlock too, but I'm in Spring Year 2 and still haven't gotten them.
Yes, Yak milk can be used in cooking most things. You may want to keep at least one cow for the cow festival, though.
If you're not in Fall 1 yet and don't have the seed maker, the way to maximize your crop's star rating it watering every other day, but tomatoes in the summer will win at least the novice crop festival.

Speaking of star ratings, I've got some cultivated crops for any askers.
Any Season- 4.5* Cotton, 3* Flax, 4.5* Rosemary, 5* Bay Leaf, 5* Shitake
Spring- 5* Strawberry
Fall- 5* Yam
Winter- 3.5* Bok Choy, 3* Broccoli
And Silkie Eggs
Some of these came from multiplayer gifts, so I figure I should share the love. Send an email to pentavite at gmail dot com with your FC and a few things you'd like, I'll be home all day.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Met posted:

Is there a shortcut to unequiping tools without going into your bag and manually unequiping them?

Press Y to put stuff away. Also in case you didn't know, there's a circular menu to pick tools from via the R button thats quicker than the bag.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Roland Jones posted:

What are you guys talking about? :confused:

e: Also, does this game do jealousy thing? Or can I court multiple guys at once?

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 11, 2012

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've added new information to this page's guide update, concerning fruit trees.

Wandering Knitter posted:

What are you guys talking about? :confused:

e: Also, does this game do jealousy thing? Or can I court multiple guys at once?

The first three guys who move into town (Neil, Allen and Klaus [I build the doctor before the cottage]) are all loving dicks.

I don't know about jealousy, but you can break up with people you're dating.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I just looked up some of what he says on the net and :psyduck:

What a dick.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Is it cool to leave animals outside overnight again, or do I still need to put them in every night?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Revol posted:

I've added new information to this page's guide update, concerning fruit trees.

The first three guys who move into town (Neil, Allen and Klaus [I build the doctor before the cottage]) are all loving dicks.

I don't know about jealousy, but you can break up with people you're dating.

I kinda like Neil. He's :sperg: as gently caress but every once in a while he acts like a properly socialized human being and it's all endearing and poo poo.

That said I am glad as gently caress my daily routine keeps me at the farm until after 10.

Plain Cheese Pizza
Aug 26, 2006

Sssh! They might have daggers...

Shirec posted:

Is it cool to leave animals outside overnight again, or do I still need to put them in every night?

I've left my cows out and they've been fine (not if the newspaper says its going to be raining the next day however).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Careful about building your life around those weather reports, though. They seem to be wrong an awful lot.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
My suggestion is to get a pet as soon as possible because it takes a ridiculous amount of time to push your animals in and out the door.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

RoyalScion posted:

My suggestion is to get a pet as soon as possible because it takes a ridiculous amount of time to push your animals in and out the door.

But why do we want them outside to begin with? I thought with previous games it was so they could graze, and thus eat, instead of you having to pay money/resources to feed them. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Revol posted:

But why do we want them outside to begin with? I thought with previous games it was so they could graze, and thus eat, instead of you having to pay money/resources to feed them. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

They do in fact graze on grass if there was no food available in the barn when the day starts. It also helps keep their stress level down, which is why you can set up an outdoor feeding station for the chickens.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Meh, my peeps (pun intended heyoooh) are barely ever stressed. Maybe sliver or two, but that's it. Besides, the daily cutscene is killing me.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Revol posted:

Meh, my peeps (pun intended heyoooh) are barely ever stressed. Maybe sliver or two, but that's it. Besides, the daily cutscene is killing me.

I literally just figured out you have to set your pet to help, they won't do it on their own like in ToTT! Is that cutscene seriously every day?!
Also, I'm just keeping my dog in my house for now. I made a pet feeder. I want him to sleep in my house with me :mad:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
The only time any of my animals have been stressed is when I hit one of my sheep with a scythe.

That said, I think taking the animals outside also increases their affection. But you really shouldn't be having your animals graze unless you really just can't be arsed to harvest the grass, because you get five times the animal food just by harvesting it.

Edit: Oh, and llamas are straight up banchos in this game.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 12, 2012

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Julet Esqu posted:

Careful about building your life around those weather reports, though. They seem to be wrong an awful lot.

I think they're wrong because it'll predict rain on a day that's technically a festival or garden tour, but you haven't unlocked it yet. The game code forces it to be sunny for the event, even though the event will never happen.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
I'm in the middle of summer and just waiting on my bees to make honey so I can finish the second restoration.

Animals and outside:
I don't know about cows/sheep, but don't leave your chickens outside overnight or they won't produce eggs. I think the reason to put them outdoors is because you need that 1000 hours to get them to level 5. I personally don't care about this. I only bring my chickens out because that's easy and they actually had some stress but I'm not sure why. It's stupid that you still have to feed them outside though.

Also, I kinda like Neil. He loves animals just like me! Plus he plays the bass, bass guitar. And pretty much all of his conversations are full of typos and poor wording so he's interesting to talk to. And my only other choice right now is Allen and no thanks to that.

After I finish the restorations, can I remove all the crap I had to put in town? My town is cluttered with useless streetlights and bushes that I just threw down wherever there was room.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Toriori posted:

I literally just figured out you have to set your pet to help, they won't do it on their own like in ToTT! Is that cutscene seriously every day?!
Also, I'm just keeping my dog in my house for now. I made a pet feeder. I want him to sleep in my house with me :mad:

Are you still talking about the plaza cutscene? Please tell me there isn't some herding cutscene I have to suffer through.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Miijhal posted:

But you really shouldn't be having your animals graze unless you really just can't be arsed to harvest the grass, because you get five times the animal food just by harvesting it.
I noticed this, and it always blows my mind that Marvelous will get a game mechanic right, then mess it up in the next game. I automatically grazed my animals because there were huge benefits in the previous games, but in this one there's no point besides that your animals need 1,000 outside hours to go from producing 4 goods to 5 (and really, how much milk do you need everyday?). In terms of minimizing tedious gameplay, it's best to either buy tons of fodder or use an upgraded scythe to harvest a lot of it at once, then keep your animals indoors.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

I'm halfway through Fall of Year 1 and I'm working on Restoration #3. The problem is, it's literally been raining ALL SEASON LONG except on Festival days when the shops are closed anyway, so, I ran out of chicken feed and now it's Thursday and it's raining and oh god Neil why the gently caress is your shop closed on weekends?

All of my chickens are gonna die. :smith:

• Locked thread