Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Bigass Moth posted:

Out running on the bike path yesterday I found a copy of Troy Aikman's Football for the Genesis. Someone had apparently put it in a fire, and then left it in the woods to rot. Such a sad life for an old sports game. :(

That's a vision of the apocalyptic future. Burning our games for fuel and heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

midge posted:

Thanks to a rather awesome goon I received an Everdrive MD. What games should I be throwing on here (non released stuff)?

Was it me? Was I the awesome goon? (Sorry I forgot who I sent a free Everdrive MD to :shobon: )

If you are a Sonic fan, I really recommend you try out prototypes of Sonic games. They are great fun if you remember the games fairly well.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Was it me? Was I the awesome goon? (Sorry I forgot who I sent a free Everdrive MD to :shobon: )

If you are a Sonic fan, I really recommend you try out prototypes of Sonic games. They are great fun if you remember the games fairly well.

I'm sorry sir, you are not the only awesome goon :(

I own all the released Sonic games, so I'll give them a shot.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

This reminds me of Richard Pryor using incredibly rare stamps to send mail to purposely waste money in the movie "Brewster's Millions"

While I get that they're rare, it doesn't sound like they'd actually be worth much. Retro game value seems to be more based off of demand than supply, and I can't imagine anyone other than a hardcore collector or someone making repros wanting that.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Awesomonster posted:

Oh gosh I'm so jealous! I've wanted one of these for years. I've heard they get really hot really quick though, is that true?

I haven't noticed that happening with mine. My only complaints are with the frozen pixel (common TurboExpress problem) and the Game Gear-caliber battery consumption.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zenintrude posted:

Having one of these (or one of the Duo equivalent variants) might actually cause me to care about TG16 collecting... how's the sound on yours?

The sound is in fact mostly dead, but doing the cap replacement is not a really huge issue in my house. I just have to actually order the caps and wait for them. The audio is TECHNICALLY functioning at this time, but only if I max it out on headphones. Dials otherwise perfect, buttons are not worn AT ALL, the entire body is pretty much perfect and there's hardly even a scuff on the screen. Hell, not even the serial number sticker has wear on it. I'm in love. :swoon:

Awesomonster posted:

Oh gosh I'm so jealous! I've wanted one of these for years. I've heard they get really hot really quick though, is that true?

I can't say I've had problems with it getting really hot, no. It's just, you know, kind of enormous. But it's still no Lynx in terms of size.

Uncle Jenkins posted:

I haven't noticed that happening with mine. My only complaints are with the frozen pixel (common TurboExpress problem) and the Game Gear-caliber battery consumption.

I have no frozen pixel and yeah, I'm definitely looking for an AC adapter because I know it just devours batteries. I'm just pretty sure I can avoid spending $17 on one. I'll probably devote some time to really searching for one today. I'm maybe a little sad I didn't pick up the CIB one, but the box wasn't in the best condition anyway and it was an extra $70.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
This is what my next order of NES games is looking like - I'm curious if you guys could have a look and let me know if anything sticks out as being too overpriced or not worthwhile to order - disclaimer: Jeopardy is for the wife. I'm trying to keep it just over $50 because it's free shipping.

http://www.jjgames.com/cart/remove_purchases?purchaseid=843776

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

To drive you didn't hold A or B, or even hold forward on the D-pad. No...you had to rock the d-pad left and right repeatedly. To go.

'CRUNCHING & MUNCHING'

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Mental Midget posted:

This is what my next order of NES games is looking like - I'm curious if you guys could have a look and let me know if anything sticks out as being too overpriced or not worthwhile to order - disclaimer: Jeopardy is for the wife. I'm trying to keep it just over $50 because it's free shipping.

http://www.jjgames.com/cart/remove_purchases?purchaseid=843776

We can't see your shopping cart. Screenshot or GTFO.

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD

Behold my retro game station. And by retro game station I mean a bunch of random poo poo I cobbled together.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

midge posted:

We can't see your shopping cart. Screenshot or GTFO.

Whoops!

welp posted:

Behold my retro game station. And by retro game station I mean a bunch of random poo poo I cobbled together.

Hey, we have the exact same TV! It's just by good luck that I'm finding out Trinitrons are best for retro gaming. Can you use a light gun on it with no issues?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yes, you can use a light gun on a Trinitron.

I wish I had the space for one. :(

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

So I went to use my VB, which I thought was permanently fixed, and I got this in the left eye:

:suicide:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Saoshyant posted:

Yes, you can use a light gun on a Trinitron.

I wish I had the space for one. :(

Depends, mine (PAL) is a 100 Hz model I think, which would mean no lightguns. I didn't test it out yet though and I can't find the manual for the exact serial number online.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

So I went to use my VB, which I thought was permanently fixed, and I got this in the left eye:

:suicide:

Who repaired it?

midge posted:

I'm sorry sir, you are not the only awesome goon :(

I own all the released Sonic games, so I'll give them a shot.

Did you get it from "Hamburglar"? There can't be that many goons throwing around free Everdrive MDs. Unless there is, then, well, :3:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Balls...

The gamecube that came in that clist lot gives no video :( Light comes on, and the fan spins. But the disc doesn't spin and no video or sound. Is the GC something easy to fix or should I chalck it up to a loss and hope to find one cheap at a later date?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cubes go for like 10€ over here, unless they are much more expensive in the US for some reason just toss it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I got my gamecube locally with cables & controller for $20.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Who repaired it?

Upeer... not sure if he's still around (his last post was a year ago) or if he's even doing game repairs anymore.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

iastudent posted:

I got my gamecube locally with cables & controller for $20.

Yeah I would do 20. But people around here seem to think it is way more valuable than it actually is. The cheapest I can find is 40 to 50. And I am a bit over budget on my retro gaming for the month >.<. So even cheap ebay's are not an option right now lol. Was hoping for a cheap simple fix.

Oh well. It's not like I am at a loss. I didn't buy the lot for the GC, and I got a bonus megaman2 and 3 out of the deal, hidden inside the two NES's.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So how accurate could I probably get in regards to pricing old systems through amazon/ebay?

There are a few pawn shops in my area that usually carry a few systems, I want to know if what they are asking ($35 for a genesis) is reasonable, or if I should try to talk them down even further than that?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Search for completed (as in, sold) listing on eBay. I can't help you further than that because we're in different markets but in Germany, I've noticed that the prices at Amazon in general are higher (but still sell), whereas boxed games profit from the ability to post a photo on eBay.

If you can, buy big lots and sell everything you don't want, I got a whole SNES with a dozen games just because it came with a boxed Terranigma and after selling all the crap I didn't want I actually got the game for free.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

crazkylo posted:

So how accurate could I probably get in regards to pricing old systems through amazon/ebay?

There are a few pawn shops in my area that usually carry a few systems, I want to know if what they are asking ($35 for a genesis) is reasonable, or if I should try to talk them down even further than that?

Might as well always try haggling if you're confident in doing that. Personally I've found that ebay prices are cheaper than what I see in stores, from the little research I've done.

Like I got 4 SNES games for $7 each on ebay that are going for $15-20 in stores here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

You can still import Tomato's wordimagesoundplay(ntsc-j) fairly cheaply, but it has a very small print, but there currently isn't any demand.

What's this? An interesting, obscure game I've never heard of? And it can be imported for around $12 including shipping?

Add that one to the pile.

crazkylo posted:

Completed eBay auctions will tell you what someone is actually paying for things. Amazon shows how much someone wants you to pay for something and there are situations where because of a limited number of sellers and poorly managed pricing bots that Amazon prices go out of control. OTOH, if there's a dozen sellers then the low price is probably pretty close to the eBay price.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Random Stranger posted:

What's this? An interesting, obscure game I've never heard of? And it can be imported for around $12 including shipping?

Add that one to the pile.

Where'd you find it that cheaply?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Where'd you find it that cheaply?

Amazon.co.jp. 337 yen is the cheapest copy but I'd have to pay a lot more shipping on that. The next copy is 714 yen with free shipping (Amazon Prime is good for all Amazon sites) to my remailing service which would then cost me about $4 per item (that price goes down as I order more).

I just did an order through them and since I'm buying a WiiU and a trip to Europe this week I can't afford to place another Japanese for a couple of months.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 13, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Obsessively rearranging my little game corner again

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Thanks to this thread and the PS2 Gamestop sale, I'll soon be the owner of a 60gb PS3 with backwards compatibility and 40 PS2 titles.

How well do the PS1 games play on the PS3? Any weird scaling going on?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

roffels posted:

Thanks to this thread and the PS2 Gamestop sale, I'll soon be the owner of a 60gb PS3 with backwards compatibility and 40 PS2 titles.

They play just fine. Scaling is not an issue at all. You can choose Full which will stretch the image to your display and it doesn't look all that bad and Normal which fixes it to its 4:3 ratio and have black bars on the sides, the latter is my preferred setting.

I'd give you an example, but I forget twitch.tv deletes old videos unless I mark them for saving. :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

roffels posted:

Nothing that I've noticed and the virtual memory cards are much better than the real thing. It's my preferred way to play PS1 games and if it played Japanese PS1 games (other than the ones bought in the PS Store) it would be the perfect system.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is getting a sequel!

http://aol.it/TwZbtU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

How do Retro games look on the Vita? I want to say great because of the OLED screen. But then I think it might be terrible because of the screen being so high Res. Your thoughts?

I really hope that system gets hacked for homebrew. I've heard it's pretty much impossible though.

I'm actually pretty sure they're just running in the PSP emulator. On the PSP, there was an "Original" screen size mode where the game would just be displayed in a small box for a 1:1 pixel ratio. Vita has an "original" mode, but it just looks like that with 4x the pixels. It's not blurred or anything, it looks quite nice and runs very well with no apparent lag. And yeah, that OLED screen at 220-something PPI is pimp rear end for everything. It looks much better than just running ROMs through my iPhone. Also, it's emulation within emulation :v:

As for homebrew hacks, the current state of it is random PSP games from PSN getting exploited and homebrew loaders being executed through said games. But that's PSP mode only, which is fine for everything up to PSOne (plus Game Boy Advance, The Lord's Systemâ„¢). So it's happening, in one form at least.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 13, 2012

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

HKR posted:

What's that between the NES and Sega Genesis? Consolized Neo Geo MVS?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Probably. That looks like a consolized MV1C.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

roffels posted:

If I am not mistaken, PS1 games play in 100% hardware on the PS3. No emulation going on.

If you got a US or Japan 60GB PS3, the same is for the PS2.

I myself just scored my second launch 60GB PS3. I got it with 2 Move remotes, 1 navigation Move remote, an extra controller, some huge machine gun looking thing, and 2 games (that came with the Move bundle) as well as the Move camera for $320. I think I made out pretty good, especially since I wanted all that Move stuff anyway (so I can finally play some drat shooting games on my plasma).

ohnoitschris posted:

I'm actually pretty sure they're just running in the PSP emulator. On the PSP, there was an "Original" screen size mode where the game would just be displayed in a small box for a 1:1 pixel ratio. Vita has an "original" mode, but it just looks like that with 4x the pixels. It's not blurred or anything, it looks quite nice and runs very well with no apparent lag. And yeah, that OLED screen at 220-something PPI is pimp rear end for everything. It looks much better than just running ROMs through my iPhone. Also, it's emulation within emulation :v:

As for homebrew hacks, the current state of it is random PSP games from PSN getting exploited and homebrew loaders being executed through said games. But that's PSP mode only, which is fine for everything up to PSOne (plus Game Boy Advance, The Lord's Systemâ„¢). So it's happening, in one form at least.

Oh wow; how do PS1 games look on it? How about SNES?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

Please Add A Cabinet Backing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Robolizard! posted:

Is there any where to buy this? I tried to wire everything so you can't see the wires but it's nearly impossible. I was going to do black oak tag but if there's a better solution, I'd like to hear it!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Yup. I did a mini project log for it in the last thread.

Robolizard! posted:

Expedits are backless like God intended them to be :colbert:

(I mess with hookups and such so often that any sort of cable management is nothing else but an obstacle to myself.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My GBA collection now will match my DS collection.

I also found out from other collectors that the exact same grade of paper used for game covers cannot be bought by regular ordinary people. There are however many substitutes that are like 99% close in quality and material. However nobody was able to agree on what the best ever paper was.

Also they added more games to that Gamestop PS2 sale. If anyone has any other cover resources than covergalaxy and cover project I would like links so I can finish the How to print your Game Covers right FAQ.

I especialy need an NTSC Trapt cover, all I have found was the PAL version.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Well. My computer just bit the big one. Considering I use it for school I am going to need to buy a new one. Looks like ill be parsing out some of my retro collection. Is eBay the best way to do this? :(

Try not to cry... Be a big man... You can always buy them back...

• Locked thread