Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Shirec posted:

Are you still talking about the plaza cutscene? Please tell me there isn't some herding cutscene I have to suffer through.
If you have your animals set o herd, I suggest you avoid being at the farm a 7am and 5 pm.

Also, 3000 to put my hair in a ponytail!? You can go straight to hell, Allen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Toriori posted:

If you have your animals set o herd, I suggest you avoid being at the farm a 7am and 5 pm.

Also, 3000 to put my hair in a ponytail!? You can go straight to hell, Allen!

Wow, I was a bit miffed at the whole Neil thing, but now I'm genuinely annoyed. Whoever decided to put these scenes in the game is the worst. Of course, listening to everyone talk, I might just give up on outside for the cows/chickens for awhile. Any other terrible cutscene time/places I need to avoid? I'm only in the beginning of Summer 1, just after Town Restoration #1.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shirec posted:

Are you still talking about the plaza cutscene? Please tell me there isn't some herding cutscene I have to suffer through.

9 am and 5 pm, every. Single. Day.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Shirec posted:

Wow, I was a bit miffed at the whole Neil thing, but now I'm genuinely annoyed. Whoever decided to put these scenes in the game is the worst. Of course, listening to everyone talk, I might just give up on outside for the cows/chickens for awhile. Any other terrible cutscene time/places I need to avoid? I'm only in the beginning of Summer 1, just after Town Restoration #1.
There are definitely some game mechanics that are frustrating- the cutscenes being one, and I already mentioned my disdain from having to play fetch with your dog at the festival grounds. That said, the game is incredibly rewarding when it comes to unlocking and upgrading things. I'm at the gold watering can so I can now water my 7 fields and 2 paddies by a little after 7, and since my dog takes out the cows it saves a ton of time, and the fact that I made 12 grand from just flower honey one day speaks for itself.
Who is everyone courting? I'm sticking with Rod since he's the guy that isn't a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Toriori posted:

Who is everyone courting? I'm sticking with Rod since he's the guy that isn't a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Neil is an rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold though, typical Harvest Moon fare. Allen, however, is straight up abusive, sort of shockingly so considering this is loving Harvest Moon. He's said some serious insidious poo poo and I looked up some of the other stuff he says out of morbid curiosity and holy loving poo poo. Straight out of the emotionally abusive relationships textbook.

I'm waiting for Amir and Sanjay and probably going to date one of them. :3:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

elzie posted:

Neil is an rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold though, typical Harvest Moon fare. Allen, however, is straight up abusive, sort of shockingly so considering this is loving Harvest Moon. He's said some serious insidious poo poo and I looked up some of the other stuff he says out of morbid curiosity and holy loving poo poo. Straight out of the emotionally abusive relationships textbook.

I'm waiting for Amir and Sanjay and probably going to date one of them. :3:
I'm curious now! Is there somewhere that has his quotes or just fogu?
Also, can I just go from beginner to intermediate class for animal festivals? My cow won beginner last year but now it's full hearts and almost full quality milk so I'm thinking about trying for a higher class.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

elzie posted:

I'm halfway through Fall of Year 1 and I'm working on Restoration #3. The problem is, it's literally been raining ALL SEASON LONG except on Festival days when the shops are closed anyway, so, I ran out of chicken feed and now it's Thursday and it's raining and oh god Neil why the gently caress is your shop closed on weekends?

All of my chickens are gonna die. :smith:
Unless it's a hurricane, Neil's shop is open on rainy days.

Toriori posted:

Just got Iroha's reverse confession. The only other candidate I could see myself going with is the witch, but, uh, that would take a bit too much time.

Everyone else is too busy being a bunch of loons.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 12, 2012

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Toriori posted:

I'm curious now! Is there somewhere that has his quotes or just fogu?
Also, can I just go from beginner to intermediate class for animal festivals? My cow won beginner last year but now it's full hearts and almost full quality milk so I'm thinking about trying for a higher class.

I got most of the Allen dialogues from Fogu, but if you want the actual dialogues and not just a summary you'd have to wade into the forums and through a 200+ page thread, people are posting screenshots and transcripts for all the love interests in it.

As for animal festivals, you should be able to win Intermediate Class with max hearts. It's Advanced Class that other things come into play like hours at the Animal Sanctuary and stuff.

Miijhal posted:

Unless it's a hurricane, Neil's shop is open on rainy days.

What? Where? He's usually in the plaza Mon-Thurs and he definitely has not been because of the rain. He also explicitly said he was closed when it rains when he introduced himself. Am I missing something, because I would really love to be able to go buy Chicken Feed.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
So I just got a 3DS and I was curious what the overall goonthought on A New Beginning was? The last Harvest Moon I played was 64 but I liked it a lot. From the last few pages it seems like people like it but I just wanted a quick consensus before I actually splurged on it.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

elzie posted:

What? Where? He's usually in the plaza Mon-Thurs and he definitely has not been because of the rain. He also explicitly said he was closed when it rains when he introduced himself. Am I missing something, because I would really love to be able to go buy Chicken Feed.

Hmm. I might be misremembering, then. I just recall seeing him on rainy days in the plaza.

Then again I usually stock up on everything I need in the hundreds and I only have one chicken.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

elzie posted:

I'm halfway through Fall of Year 1 and I'm working on Restoration #3. The problem is, it's literally been raining ALL SEASON LONG except on Festival days when the shops are closed anyway, so, I ran out of chicken feed and now it's Thursday and it's raining and oh god Neil why the gently caress is your shop closed on weekends?

All of my chickens are gonna die. :smith:

I'm in the exact same situation. 'Sup, chicken murdering buddy? :smith::respek::smith:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Toriori posted:

There are definitely some game mechanics that are frustrating-

The weakness of the Harvest Moon franchise is its inability to prevent gameplay design mistakes. There have been over fifteen entries in this franchise, eleven of them handheld. They do make improvements, and they do add new features. We've gotten new crops and new animals.

But they continue to make mistakes that seem really, really obvious. Near-unavoidable and totally uninterpretable cutscenes that you can potentially run into four times a day?!

ChewyLSB posted:

So I just got a 3DS and I was curious what the overall goonthought on A New Beginning was? The last Harvest Moon I played was 64 but I liked it a lot. From the last few pages it seems like people like it but I just wanted a quick consensus before I actually splurged on it.

It's the best 3DS HM game. (Not being a smartass, I'm including Two Towns.)

Ultimately, it seems like grading a Harvest Moon game takes three things:

• Its ability to maintain the standard Harvest Moon gameplay that we love
  • The new features that add to the game
  • Your ability to overlook the certain gameplay mistakes that you are bound to come across

So, how does A New Beginning fare? Here's my thoughts:

• The base gameplay seems really tight. It's not a far departure from the franchise norm. You've got a healthy amount of crops and animals to choose from. In fact, we've probably got the most crops ever here, except for.. maybe Sunshine? I don't know, didn't play that one, but it seemed like it had a LOT to grow. But so does ANB. Beyond the standard veggies and fruits, we've got patties, which is becoming a standard as well. Along with flowers, we've got herbs (which I can't recall being in a past game) as well as mushrooms (I'm certain we could never do that before). The foraging game also seems to be stronger than most HMs.
  • Some new features are revolutionary. The ability to customize your farm while upgrading it is great enough. But that, along with the town building, is what really elevates this game. The farm object customization must be standard from here on out. And if they skip town customization next time, they better come back with something better. Other features are a miss. I don't play this game in 3D. Some games on this system, like this and Two Towns, just don't make good use out of the feature. Other games, like Mario Land 3D, make the most out of it.
  • Like any HM game, New Beginning has its issues. The uninterruptable cutscenes are probably the worst offender that I've come across so far. But there are ways to avoid the majority of the cutscenes. The town villages might not be the most exciting, but that has never been a priority for me. Some of the town restoration requirements are tedious, including forcing you to play the lackluster gardening gameplay. But, I've come across nothing so far that was driving me to stop playing.

I guess I'd rate HM games with how far I played them. I know I beat the SNES game. I forget how far I did N64, but I'm sure I did a lot of it. On the flip side, I don't think I completed a year in Two Towns. I know I got into my second year of Bazaar, but I don't recall marrying anyone.

With A New Beginning, I feel confident that I'll complete the second year at least. The town renovation gameplay is a strong mechanic that makes me want to continue beyond just my farming. The only threat is if another game comes along and steals my attention. Starbound, you know I'm talking about you!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

elzie posted:

I got most of the Allen dialogues from Fogu, but if you want the actual dialogues and not just a summary you'd have to wade into the forums and through a 200+ page thread, people are posting screenshots and transcripts for all the love interests in it.

Good god the thread is Stockholm Syndrome as hell. Some spoilers to follow, I suppose!

ACTUAL ALLEN DIALOG (apparently) posted:

"I'm dating you. You should be grateful for that. I know you'll never leave me."

If you talk to him when he's eating
"What, you want to eat this? Oh, very well. I'll allow it, just this once. Here, open your mouth. How does it taste? Good? Hah, I guess I didn't have to ask."

"Listen. Everything that belongs to you is mine, Honey. And everything that belongs to me is also mine. What's wrong? You can't accept that? Before too long that's the only way you'll want it! You'll see, baby."

Reactions:

quote:

I want to marry Allen so much O3O
*cries*
This is awesome. Thanks!

quote:

LOL! didn't expect him to be so...well. That. xfd I love it, in a way.

quote:

Oh wow. Allen is quite...
I still think his arrogance is cute.

quote:

:3

quote:

Allen makes me want to cry and vomit. Can I push him in a river or something? Ugh.

quote:

That's also a really mean thing to say. . .
If you dislike a character that's fine but you shouldn't voice out your dislike like that. You can offend people like that. There's no hating on characters on this forum.
Anyway, Allen will call me Love~ cause I can picture him with a British accent~
J. Michael Tatum will be his voice actor in my head. . .SINCE THERE IS NO VOICE ACTING IN HM GAMES T^T

http://fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=151677

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Good god the thread is Stockholm Syndrome as hell. Some spoilers to follow, I suppose!
Wow, I didn't think it would be that bad. Neil is nothing compared to that. What were they thinking?
:stare:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Holy Mary mother of Christ :stare:
I mean, Neil is all "ugh you? Go away"/"i-it's not like I like you or anything...", but that poo poo is straight up twisted. I guess a character like Rod who is just personable is too nice for those weirdos.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I think they were thinking, "Hey, Twilight is pretty popular. That guy was a controlling jerk, right?" And judging from the reactions, looks like they were right.

I can see marrying him just for the sometimes entertaining experience of marrying a videogame shithead, but actually thinking that sort of thing is cute?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Julet Esqu posted:

I think they were thinking, "Hey, Twilight is pretty popular. That guy was a controlling jerk, right?" And judging from the reactions, looks like they were right.

I can see marrying him just for the sometimes entertaining experience of marrying a videogame shithead, but actually thinking that sort of thing is cute?

Yeah this is some kind of post 50 shades nonsense that I just don't understand.

I just got to Allen's first heart event (I like seeing them all even though I definitely won't pick him). "Having a woman pay for food or drink while she is eating with me goes against everything I stand for." Hey remember who built your house? How about you pay me for that?

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Yeah, Allen is seriously hosed up. This is a little heavy for a loving Harvest Moon game so feel free to skip the rest of this post but:

I straight up warned a friend of mine who is getting this game soon not to bother with Allen because she went through an abusive relationship and I'm vaguely afraid that Allen's poo poo will upset her. It wouldn't bother me QUITE as much if it seemed like the dating arc addressed the fact that Allen is literally emotionally abusive, but it doesn't, to gain points with him you are expected to be submissive. Your final heart event with him literally has him get angry at you for daring to witness him embarrassing himself in front of a customer, and the only way to come out of the encounter with positive points is to silently weather the insults, cook him his favorite meal like a good obedient waifu, have him order you to do the dishes afterward, meekly comply with that, and THEN you get positive FP and he does that typical abuser thing where he throws you a single affectionate line after a torrent of abuse to keep you invested.

There's more stuff than just that event but that was the most :stare: inducing thing for me.

Here's the scene where you give Allen the ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzBY5vPvGws

Obviously this is all through the sort of comically not-serious lens of Harvest Moon and I feel a little silly feeling this strongly about it, frankly, but I think it's pretty insidious stuff. My reaction is probably stronger than the usual because my best friend seriously went through some poo poo with her ex boyfriend and the tone of Allen's stuff mirrors stories about her ex in a big way. :smith:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm still wondering if Allen's evil is some weird mistranslation or something on Natsume's part, since as people have said it's a bit... Yeah. But, considering the way the events go, maybe it isn't. I don't know, but it's weird as hell and rather creepy.

Personally, I'm playing as a guy so I'll probably try to go for Yuri, but if I were playing as a girl... I dunno, would have to play and see, though any of the four guys who aren't Allen or Rod (apparently he's nice but he looks too childish, and also is Allen's best friend or something) are possible.

Kind of wish Allen's "HORROR" gift were something more common, like milk or something. Still considering going to his house every day, though, with a perfectly-made, five-star pot sticker (his absolute least-favorite thing, apparently) to give to him, just because. Can at least manage it on his birthday every year.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Julet Esqu posted:

Ahaha, I think you're right! That is totally what happened.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Roland Jones posted:

I'm still wondering if Allen's evil is some weird mistranslation or something on Natsume's part, since as people have said it's a bit... Yeah. But, considering the way the events go, maybe it isn't. I don't know, but it's weird as hell and rather creepy.

Nope, he is apparently very accurately translated from Japanese.

I actually liked him before I saw his dialogue stuff. Guess I'll have to hold out for Amir and Sanjay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So, given that there won't be a EU release of ANB until the sun becomes a lump of coal the size of my forehead and the 3DS has that lovely region locking thing going on, is ToTT worth a buy? I heard there 3DS version is pretty crashtacular.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Can cheese or yogurt be part of the crop festival? Also, for this restoration I have to win intermediate in the monthly crop festival, any tips?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

So, given that there won't be a EU release of ANB until the sun becomes a lump of coal the size of my forehead and the 3DS has that lovely region locking thing going on, is ToTT worth a buy? I heard there 3DS version is pretty crashtacular.

I've had no trouble with crashes and it's pretty good. That being said, AWL sounds like a much better game and I'm thinking of getting a second hand US 3DS just so I can play this and future Harvest Moon games.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Klaus is flipping the gently caress out over the mechanics of macaroni and cheese. I know he's a dick and all, but looks like he's crazy, too.

"WE MORTALS ARE A BUNDLE OF CURIOSITY. IF WE SEE A HOLE THEN HOW CAN WE RESIST PEERING INTO IT?"

Klaus confirmed to be a peeping tom.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 13, 2012

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Toriori posted:

Can cheese or yogurt be part of the crop festival? Also, for this restoration I have to win intermediate in the monthly crop festival, any tips?

If there's a crop available in your season that regrows, pick that one. You can keep fertilizing even after you've harvested, and it will continue to improve. I won intermediate with a three star tomato, so it shouldn't be beyond your reach.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Eruonen posted:

I've had no trouble with crashes and it's pretty good. That being said, AWL sounds like a much better game and I'm thinking of getting a second hand US 3DS just so I can play this and future Harvest Moon games.

Cheers, good to know. I'll pick it up, I think. I'm looking forward to once again bribing women into having my babies with cake.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yesterday my game card popped out while asleep, which forced me to restart the game. I lost at least three days of progress, almost an hour of gameplay. The worst part, though, is that before the card popped out, I think I had three chickens producing two eggs each. But I haven't been able to get that production back, even after progressing six days after where I lost my game. I wonder, does stress prevent the higher production? Not that I have a stress problem with them.

And then last night, I forgot to get a garden built before the tour, and I wasn't willing to take all those friendship point hits, so I quit the game without saving. Haven't seen how much time I lost yet, forgot to bring my 3DS to work today.

I'm at around Winter 10 now. Finally have the seed maker, excited to get a lot of use out of it. I just sold my dog. I'm not going to use it, and I'm really afraid I'll forget to feed it and it'll die, so I just got rid of it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Revol posted:

I just sold my dog.

I can't help but feel this is some kind of unredeemable Harvest Moon sin.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Why do people just wander around on my property at night? When do I get the shotgun?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GruntyThrst posted:

I know, I read that and my jaw literally dropped. I was like, what. What are you, some kind of monster?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The White Dragon posted:

I know, I read that and my jaw literally dropped. I was like, what. What are you, some kind of monster?

C'mon, I feel bad enough as it is.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Revol posted:

C'mon, I feel bad enough as it is.
I found the dog too useful, though I may not bother buying a horse.
I have an alpaca, two sheep a cow and a yak: there's no way I'm pushing each one outside.
Was it the shiba or brown dog you sold? I will admit, once I unlocked the traditional brown dog I considered selling the shiba.
I even bought a cat to take my chickens out!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Toriori posted:

I found the dog too useful, though I may not bother buying a horse.
I have an alpaca, two sheep a cow and a yak: there's no way I'm pushing each one outside.
Was it the shiba or brown dog you sold? I will admit, once I unlocked the traditional brown dog I considered selling the shiba.
I even bought a cat to take my chickens out!

It was the first dog, the brown dog.

Sure, the dog is useful, but I just can't stand the 30 second cutscene twice a day. So, my livestock just doesn't go outside.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

The herding cutscene is REALLY annoying, but I am putting up with it by reminding myself that it would take longer than 30 seconds to do all that herding myself :(

I'm at Autumn 18. I finally unlocked the mine, but I haven't found any amethyst for the Maker Shed yet, and all of the town restoration stuff I need requires other stuff from the mine I haven't found enough of yet too. On the plus side, I have found some silver and I hope I'll be able to upgrade my watering can again soon.

Oh and I bought 99 chicken feeds. gently caress you Neil and your fickle shop hours.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Again, I just say that herding just isn't worth it. So my heart growth on the animals is a little stunted, or their stress isn't always perfectly empty. I only have one step of stress on an animal at a time, I don't imagine that is a problem.

I'm holding off on the watering can upgrade. I have four silver, but I want to get the Inn first and complete the renovation plan, so I can unlock the next one and everything it entails while I get more silver for my tool upgrades.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
I am on Fall 20 and just finished town restoration 3 by building the inn. The next day I had 5 cutscenes in the morning. Hey! Are you awake? Yes you were just here!

I decided to start dating Neil. I am impatient and don't feel like waiting for more bachelors to come to town. Allen is an rear end and Rod is boring. Plus I refuse to marry a man that wears goggles everyday.

I agree that herding is not worth it but I am keeping my cat cause she's cute. :3: I just don't put her to work because my animals don't seem to get any stress unless I run out of food.

elzie posted:

I'm at Autumn 18. I finally unlocked the mine, but I haven't found any amethyst for the Maker Shed yet, and all of the town restoration stuff I need requires other stuff from the mine I haven't found enough of yet too. On the plus side, I have found some silver and I hope I'll be able to upgrade my watering can again soon.

Not sure if you know this, but you can save and reload in the mine if you don't get what you want. So if you are looking specifically for an amethyst, just reload until you find one.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Fru Fru posted:

Not sure if you know this, but you can save and reload in the mine if you don't get what you want. So if you are looking specifically for an amethyst, just reload until you find one.

Oh awesome, I'll probably do this, it sucks to get rocks out of there. I need amethyst, silver and glass stone. I did notice glass stone is sometimes just laying around when you walk in which is nice, hopefully I can get the inn soon. I just need that and the music festival unlocked to finish Restoration #3.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Mr. Podunkian posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm not really liking A New Beginning so much, but I guess I've had too high of expectations after having played Rune Factory 3 (and even Hero of Leaf Valley)...I'm also not liking how lifeless these characters are...unskippable cutscenes if you happen to be in town when a certain store is opening... I just don't get how they could've got such simple things so wrong after having nailed everything before.
For these main reasons I'll probably give ANB a pass and just wait for RF4 to finally get localized. Harvest Moon-type games aren't something I can play endlessly and I know whatever game I play will satisfy that strange itch for a good while, so I'll just wait for the thing that I can be pretty certain I'll enjoy almost entirely. Things like having to adjust my schedule around avoiding cutscenes would drive me bonkers.

That final point Podunkian made has always been the one way I've charactarized the HM series. No matter how many improvements they make, no matter how great a particular game mechanic is, no matter how much fans ask for something, they will always break something. It's a constant for them; they just cannot bring themselves to remember what worked well in previous games. They'll always have at least one totally bone-headed mechanic in whatever game they release. And a lot of the time they somehow choose this mechanic to be something that they got perfect in a previous game. It's mindboggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

I wonder if making a profitable Harvest Moon puppy mill is possible?

Also, for anyone who hates herding, just give Neil tons of fodder and eventually he'll give you a bell that herds all the animals without any cutscene.

Edit: Also, anyone have some brown alpaca wool they'd be willing to trade? I really, really need the speedy brush right about now.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 14, 2012

• Locked thread