Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
The problem with all of these alternative names is that they sound like crap because they are trying to hard to be PC and accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Wiz posted:

That's an interesting idea. I'll consider it.

Yeah. No need to mess around creating new tags, just some kind of system of flipping the unciv nation's culture over.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Well, the upside is that a 70 wargoal goal doesn't leave room for much else. If AI Russia decides to invoke it, A. they wouldn't be able to get anything else from us, realistically, and B. it wouldn't be all that hard to stay above -70 warscore and wait for them to get bored and frustrated.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
How about 'Decentralised'?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I thought that it was hardcoded that uncivs couldn't build factories on their own. How did you get around that?
Everyone is already "civilized" according to the game mechanics' definition, and then I think Wiz just tacks on his own version of uncivilized as a flag/triggered effect.

Keisari posted:

For example, I'd like an option to just simply change the colonization target country's primary culture to what mine is and then make it a puppet. Essentially a colonial regime sort-of thing. I really hate to micromanage my colonies.

(But the colonial regime, now that it has a new primary culture, would start to assimilate the locals and possibly get fully integrated in the future.)
Wouldn't this run into the problem of the "puppet" mechanic in V2 being really useless? To get any sort of benefit out of the whole deal you'd have to make the country your sphere-ling first, but you'd already be doing that under the new colonization system.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wiz posted:

Really not a fan of those names. They're just really really dull and don't feel at all thematically appropriate in the game. If noone comes up with a better alternative, I'll just have to be a bit imperialist I guess.

Maybe you could use Despotic (or possibly feudal) Monarchy for Unciv. Monarchy and Tribal Federation for Unciv. Tribalism? I know I'm just borrowing EUIII governments but I think it works for giving the Unciv. governments unique names without using awkward words like Uncivilized. I know you're just using the name for thematic reasons and to keep it easy to at a glance be able to assess how developed a nation is by just looking at its form of government, but I still think it might be better to just avoid the word uncivilized as much as possible.

Wiz posted:

A look into the future??

Oh awesome! I remember playing games of V2 where France gets overthrown by Anarcho-Liberals and instead of spreading their revolution across Europe.... they sat around until pressure on the government caused them to bring back voting and a conservative party was voted back into office, ending the revolution :geno:.

Will Fascist, Communist, and Anarcho-Liberal governments also get CBs to spread the revolution, or only Revolutionary X governments?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

theblastizard posted:

The problem with all of these alternative names is that they sound like crap because they are trying to hard to be PC and accurate.

I think the real problem is that modern Western states have a whole lot in common and can be easily classified into just a handful of types.

Whereas pre-modern pre-colonial societies are/were far more diverse and unique, so it's very difficult to come up with a single word or label that can be applied to dozens of these entities in a remotely accurate way.

The political organization and technology toolkit of the Zulu did not much resemble the political organization and technology toolkit of the Australian aborigines.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"A society about to get horribly hosed by Europeans"
"A society trying not to get horribly hosed by Europeans"
"European society"

:v:

e: vvvv I like this idea.

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 13, 2012

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Instead of using imperialist civilizations terms, couldn't you use terms like Non-Industrial or Pre-Industrial? That way they actually describe the mechanics of the categories, rather than some vague notion of what it takes for a country to be modern or civilized.

For that matter, why is Monarchy some magical gateway government? How about having at least Pre-Industrial Monarchy and Pre-Industrial Federation, for starters. I'm sure there's one or two other possibilities for government types for industrializing nations to cover everything from dictatorship to fully democratic states.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

my dad posted:

"A society about to get horribly hosed by Europeans"
"A society trying not to get horribly hosed by Europeans"
"European society"

:v:

Hey now, several non-European countries engaged in some Imperialism of their own at this time. Everyone knows about Japan, but even states like Ethiopia tried conquering places they didn't have an ethnic majority populace in (The entire Eastern half of Ethiopia is Somali Muslim, they didn't just get there by chance).

I think the naming and civilizing system is fine; it's a game and I seriously doubt anyone on these forums is going to be influenced into thinking Imperialism was any better than it was because "Uncivilized" and "Civilized" are getting thrown around.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

GoatLord posted:

Instead of using imperialist civilizations terms, couldn't you use terms like Non-Industrial or Pre-Industrial? That way they actually describe the mechanics of the categories, rather than some vague notion of what it takes for a country to be modern or civilized.

For that matter, why is Monarchy some magical gateway government? How about having at least Pre-Industrial Monarchy and Pre-Industrial Federation, for starters. I'm sure there's one or two other possibilities for government types for industrializing nations to cover everything from dictatorship to fully democratic states.

Well, there's always what we use today: Undeveloped, Developing, and Developed Society.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wiz please feel free to ignore all these suggestions if they would delay the next update by more than an hour. :colbert:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

theblastizard posted:

This, seriously. Something people seem to be missing is that Uncivilised / Civilised are words that appear in the same group as Secondary Power and Great Power. Which also aren't terribly accurate terms, unless I missed in history class the 8- and 16-country sports league rules.

They're a flavourful abstraction of foreign policy terms, much like how EU3 uses "vassal" to represent a billion different relationships only a few of which were the historically accurate feudal oath of vassalage, or how CK2 has every court consisting of rigidly defined Chancellor, Marshal, Steward, Spymaster, and Chaplain positions.

Is that how things actually worked? gently caress no, but those words help give a player who isn't familiar with the time period a rough feeling for the power dynamics of the era. "Uncivilised / designated fuckee" vs. "Civilised / designated fucker" splendidly performs the same job with regards to the nineteenth-early twentieth century.

IMO: don't sweat it, Wiz.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm not sure why you guys are getting all upset about the sneering designation of non European civilizations as uncivilized in a game based entirely around Europe vigorously molesting the rest of the world in a ruthless race for power.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

I'm not sure why you guys are getting all upset about the sneering designation of non European civilizations as uncivilized in a game based entirely around Europe vigorously molesting the rest of the world in a ruthless race for power.
I think it's mostly guilt over how Paradox treats uncivs in V2 and native/New-World nations in EU3. It's not enough to mod the game such as a white man with a machine gun cannot run roughshod over tabula rasa Africa, the new game mechanic names must also be that PC.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Hey now, several non-European countries engaged in some Imperialism of their own at this time. Everyone knows about Japan, but even states like Ethiopia tried conquering places they didn't have an ethnic majority populace in (The entire Eastern half of Ethiopia is Somali Muslim, they didn't just get there by chance).

I think the naming and civilizing system is fine; it's a game and I seriously doubt anyone on these forums is going to be influenced into thinking Imperialism was any better than it was because "Uncivilized" and "Civilized" are getting thrown around.

Hey, look at this guy who doesn't know how the human brain works. And who thinks only white people will read this LP I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Personally I have more problem with "kingdom" than "uncivilized". It's not the PC-ness or lack thereof, but the wildly incorrect designation of all non-modernized states as being kingdoms.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Eh, on the one hand this game is ultimately about a time period where European Superpowers became the dominant political force of the world and so having the names for governments be from a European Imperialist perspective kinda makes sense, but it just feels kinda awkward to have nations with a form of government called "Uncivilized X". Yeah it's not Wiz/Paradox saying "these people are backwards savages", it's just describing how the government system would be classified by Europeans (like how any nation in the world can be a Prussian Constitutionalism, not because any nation in the world can become Prussian, but because any nation can have a form of government that would make a European politician go "You know, that kinda looks like what the Prussians have going on more or less") but still, it'd be nice if it the government names were less focused on how backwards the nations were perceived by Europeans and more a description of how the government functions (like how calling Russia an Absolute Monarchy tells me more about their government than calling it a Civilized Monarchy does).

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

"Tribalism" doesn't seem as negative to me, but it still implies a lack of organization that is incorrect for pretty much any human population united enough to be considered a nation-state in the first place... which seems to be the basis we're working from in this game.
Nation-states were a European phenomenon in 1836, I can't think of any unciv which could be accurately described as one. Actually, even most European states were multi-national.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I really think the "development" terms we use today would work just fine. Admittedly the Victorian Europeans have a lot to do to reach our modern standards, but it's all relative anyway. By pairing it with the term "society" it also wouldn't make any judgments or qualifiers on what sort of government is or isn't in place.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We should just make up words that have zero meaning attached to them so nobody gets offended. England is a flivpnydr nation, while Ethiopia is a rbnmsxxxzz nation.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

AJ_Impy posted:

How about 'Decentralised'?

Decentralised Monarchy sounds a little off though. Maybe "Decentralised Tribes" and "Tribal Monarchy"?

The people suggesting things like "developing" or "pre-industrial" seem to be forgetting that this isn't a status like civilised is in the vanilla game, it's a government form. So having a government type as "pre-industrial" doesn't really work because it's describing the society, not the government.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 13, 2012

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I really think the "development" terms we use today would work just fine. Admittedly the Victorian Europeans have a lot to do to reach our modern standards, but it's all relative anyway. By pairing it with the term "society" it also wouldn't make any judgments or qualifiers on what sort of government is or isn't in place.

Eh, I think that is starting to be too anachronistic. "Modern" was a word that existed and was used to divide societies into categories in Victorian times, but I can see how it's overly clinical.

Borrowing EU3 government types might be the best idea so far. Remember, most of the prominent African states have been trading with Europeans for about 3 centuries now, directly or through intermediaries; West Africans and East Africans also were hooked into Islamic trade routes long before that, which brought Islam and its legalistic foundation for the state into several areas as well. It's conceivable (if unlikely) for, say, Sokoto to pull a Japan and modernize under human control, so we aren't talking exclusively about "designated fuckees". For that matter, Japan really is not a "designated fuckee" but it is an unciv.

Reveilled posted:

Decentralised Monarchy sounds a little off though. Maybe "Decentralised Tribes" and "Tribal Monarchy"?

Japan was a tribal monarchy? This gets into the issue of needing a bunch of different government types for uncivs, which makes a lot of work for Wiz.

Edit:

quote:

Bulgarian
Almost Bulgarian
Not Bulgarigan

The best option. I would love to see Steppe Wolfe: Victoria - in 1250, Old Great Bulgaria spheres the Byzantines and eventually integrates them as a colonial state.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 13, 2012

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fister Roboto posted:

We should just make up words that have zero meaning attached to them so nobody gets offended. England is a flivpnydr nation, while Ethiopia is a rbnmsxxxzz nation.

But, but, everyone will start arguing about who gets to be xyzzy and then we'll never get an update from Wiz. :(

e:

wukkar posted:

Bulgarian
Almost Bulgarian
Not Bulgarigan

This. Forever.

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 13, 2012

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Bulgarian
Almost Bulgarian
Not Bulgarigan

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GoatLord posted:

Hey, look at this guy who doesn't know how the human brain works. And who thinks only white people will read this LP I guess.

Please take your soapboxing to e/n.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wouldn't this run into the problem of the "puppet" mechanic in V2 being really useless? To get any sort of benefit out of the whole deal you'd have to make the country your sphere-ling first, but you'd already be doing that under the new colonization system.

AI Puppets always join your wars, puppetry is worth more than a sphere. They also, to my knowledge, always accept alliance offers, which improves relations which makes it easier to keep them in your sphere. Basically I wish that just to cut down micromanagement during wars. I'd really like to focus fighting on my home front and let my colonies fend for themselves. They can raise their own armies and defend themselves, and maybe even help me out, but it's a bit of a bother to micromanage their armies and ship them out to my home fronts and back.

Plus I just have a weird attachment into having AI vassals help me out. Yes, I do enjoy Ck2 a lot for this reason.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's mostly guilt over how Paradox treats uncivs in V2 and native/New-World nations in EU3. It's not enough to mod the game such as a white man with a machine gun cannot run roughshod over tabula rasa Africa, the new game mechanic names must also be that PC.
Is it not just putting it in line with the names for cultures? Because the name for the African-American population in the US, just to name one example, is probably not that historic either.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

This argument has somehow managed to become more tedious and dumb than flag chat. Think about that.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Bulgaria
Serbia
Fourth Rome.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Riso posted:

Great Old Bulgaria
Sjrbyzanthistan
Forty Forth Rome.

Fixed that for ya.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 13, 2012

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Dr. Tough posted:

This argument has somehow managed to become more tedious and dumb than flag chat. Think about that.

:( I just thought uncivilized was kinda a bad word to use for describing governments so I thought using names from EUIII might help, since describing a monarchy as uncivilized was less descriptive than calling it tribal or despotic.

I mean, this being V2, if Wiz designed it right (which I am very confident he did given his past work), those nations will either modernize into better forms of government or get annexed/puppeted soon enough anyway so I guess it's mostly moot but what else will I complain about until we know if Azeri won or lost the war with Russia :ohdear:?

E:VVV You big meanie, I want to believe Azeri can force the Russian bear to dance for it in a dance of friendship and tolerance :(

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 13, 2012

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

DrProsek posted:

I mean, this being V2, if Wiz designed it right (which I am very confident he did given his past work), those nations will either modernize into better forms of government or get annexed/puppeted soon enough anyway so I guess it's mostly moot but what else will I complain about until we know if Azeri won or lost the war with Russia :ohdear:?

It lost, we are a democracy now, it's time to start spreading the revolution.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Based on reading way too much loving Victorian colonialist and Orientalist literature, i think it'd be best to go with "Barbarian" and "Uncivilized." This allows the flexibility of having, say, "Barbarian Republic" or "Uncivilized Despotism" so that you aren't limited to only two non-civilized government types due to grammar, and using "Barbarian" takes us so over the top that only the most tumblr of idiots could really be offended.

The most important part of these designators is really how much European society at large gives a poo poo about whether or not the state in question gets annexed, so trying to make them match up to the technical terms that historians prefer really obscures the insane racism inherent in the fact that people are A-OK with you turning Mali into a slaughterhouse.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

my dad posted:

Fixed that for ya.

Well yes, but I didn't want to break my fingers typing it.

Alternatively:

Barbarians - Noble Savages

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tulip posted:

Based on reading way too much loving Victorian colonialist and Orientalist literature, i think it'd be best to go with "Barbarian" and "Uncivilized." This allows the flexibility of having, say, "Barbarian Republic" or "Uncivilized Despotism" so that you aren't limited to only two non-civilized government types due to grammar, and using "Barbarian" takes us so over the top that only the most tumblr of idiots could really be offended.
Yeah, I could support this. It fits the period, and the "Barbarian" tag really drags the viewpoint of the day into the light.

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"
I just hope that there's no weird colonizing going on. If African peoples have tags, how do you prevent Europeans from expanding half a century early? Did the infamy costs for protectorates get boosted?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Hazmat Sam posted:

I just hope that there's no weird colonizing going on. If African peoples have tags, how do you prevent Europeans from expanding half a century early? Did the infamy costs for protectorates get boosted?

In V2, you can't invade a country without a CB like in Crusader Kings 2, so I'm guessing Wiz removed any blank check CBs for invading African nations at will and now you either need to sphere them or use the justify war mechanic introduced in A House Divided to fabricate justification to take over African nations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

It lost, we are a democracy now, it's time to start spreading the revolution.

What? Where did you get that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tulip posted:

Well hell, if we're trying to be more un-PC in order to be more PC somehow, then forget about "Barbarian" and just go ahead and use "Savage". It's what Europeans were actually calling native cultures at the time anyway.

So you've got "Uncultured Savages," and then "Subservient Natives." Combine with government type.

"Uncultured Savage Republic," "Subservient Native Despotism", etc.

• Locked thread