Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

greatn posted:

The clerk also noticed I hadn't pre ordered Mario, and when I said I was going to download it direct from Nintendo she looked very annoyed. I'm buying like $600 worth of stuff at launch from you guys, cut me some slack!

The clerk was probably annoyed because they're grilled constantly to get more preorders, and someone who preordered a WiiU but not Mario is basically a guaranteed Mario customer, so s/he probably saw this and got excited for the free point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Dell is selling Wii U Deluxe bundle pre orders - $459.99 with Madden and Just Dance.

That bundle only saves 10 bucks. Really, It's way better to pay full price and get games you want.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Gutcruncher posted:

That bundle only saves 10 bucks. Really, It's way better to pay full price and get games you want.

I guess it's more about still being able to get one if you're in the US. At least Just Dance and Madden should be flippable since people love them.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

The next console war has already been won.

You could buy food on the wii in japan. It even had a roulette option to randomly choose a restaurant for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoqQM_qnCKI

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

I guess it's more about still being able to get one if you're in the US. At least Just Dance and Madden should be flippable since people love them.

Yeah, it's tempting seeing as how I've only got a white one preordered, but I've decided to just deal with it, I don't have that much money to waste. I don't have enough money to take advantage of that premium thing anyway at the moment.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Robolizard! posted:

You could buy food on the wii in japan. It even had a roulette option to randomly choose a restaurant for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoqQM_qnCKI

Why does this not exist in North America?

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Is there a list of launch titles that can be played on the Wii U gamepad sans T.V?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are all of the games going to be available for digital download or just the Nintendo produced games?

EDIT: Also, Wii games (i.e. Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario) should look a tad bit sharper due to the HDMI connection, right? ...right? :/

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It probably will look a little better to significantly better, depending on how terrible your tv's component input was compared to the hdmi ones, and how well it upscales content.

480p component input from the wii looked totally fine on my televisions, but I imagine theres a lot of lower end sets out there that cheaped out on upscaling and the analog inputs, resulting in a lot of the complaints you see about 480p looking like "rear end" (or maybe its just internet hyperbole, I don't know)

edit: The charge from gamestop disappeared the day after it appeared. I tried asking my bank about it, but they just told me to call gamestop and make sure the order is going through. The site shows no problems and their phone number is completely unreachable (always a busy tone)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 14, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna preorder from Dell since I want the black system but the white remote :frogbon:

Any goon who is ending up with a white console but wants a black controller, hit me up!!!

Edit: clicking on the "show price" gives me "not available". :argh:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo I have like 8-9 USB Mini-B cables and adapters because they're used in a device at work and this is the first time I've heard of anything else using one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That'd seem exactly like the stuff NoA would go after too. I'd guess it's just harder to do stuff like that here cause there's more variables to deal with (bigger country with more regional differences or something). Then again they're doing TVii, but with a partner vs a seeming aversion to partnering up before.

Vinlaen posted:

Are all of the games going to be available for digital download or just the Nintendo produced games?
It'll be up to the third parties. Tekken will be on the shop in Japan at least, Ubisoft said they want to be on there, and I think there's been a few other announcements here and there.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Holy poo poo I have like 8-9 USB Mini-B cables and adapters because they're used in a device at work and this is the first time I've heard of anything else using one.
I have a bunch from random smaller devices and older portable USB enclosures. A lot of stuff has moved on to micro USB like most phones.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gutcruncher posted:

Won't Walmart buy back anything pretty much? I remember buying one of those huge PS3 Bundles when that was initially released that came with 8 games, and returned every single one of them to Walmart.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Won't Walmart buy back anything pretty much? I remember buying one of those huge PS3 Bundles when that was initially released that came with 8 games, and returned every single one of them to Walmart.

Woah, the PS3 had eight games at launch?

quote:

http://www.grubhub.com/

There are also local variants like http://miami.eat24hours.com/

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

Woah, the PS3 had eight games at launch?

12 games at launch in North America actually. Though most people just bought Madden, CoD 3, Resistance or Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Well it's fraud unless you bought it from Walmart...and it varies. I tried it with some GC games way back but they were competent and wouldn't take them without a receipt for proof.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

skog posted:

Is there a list of launch titles that can be played on the Wii U gamepad sans T.V?
From NeoGAF:

quote:

So, one of the WiiUs biggest features is the ability to play a given game just on the GamePad, allowing someone else to watch TV, play another video game system, etc. There does seem to be a lot of confusion as to just which games support this feature and since some in the other threads were asking for a comprehensive thread / list of all the games that do support it, I decided to compose a list to use as a reference of all games known to have this.

Unfortunately, all Wii software (disc games, WiiWare, Virtual Console) is incompatible with the feature.

New Super Mario Bros. U
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Dragon Quest X
Assassins Creed III
Darksiders II
Mass Effect 3
Epic Mickey 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge
Rabbids Land
Skylanders Giants
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Wii Fit U
Madden 13
FIFA 13
Rayman Legends (I assume)
Toki Tori 2 (downloadable)
Nano Assault Neo (downloadable)
Trine 2 Director's Cut (downloadable)
Puddle (downloadable)
Several built-in apps (Netflix, Internet, etc.)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

flyboi posted:

The WBFS limitation was removed, FAT32 and NTFS both work now. Anyways, likely the reason behind this is much like how the internal hd works on PS3. I'm going to guess for security reasons the hard drive data will be entirely encrypted to a certificate unique to each console to reduce the risk of people snatching data off it.
I doubt the WiiU is gonna be compatible with FAT32 because of its ridiculously unnecessary file size limit of 2gb. I don't know anything about NTFS, however.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

japtor posted:

Well it's fraud unless you bought it from Walmart...and it varies. I tried it with some GC games way back but they were competent and wouldn't take them without a receipt for proof.

Back when I worked at Wal-Mart I saw them once take back a Kenmore microwave (Kenmore = Sears). But that's because I worked with imbeciles.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good lord I forgot this was releasing in less than a week. I don't even remember what games I preordered at this point. :v:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I doubt the WiiU is gonna be compatible with FAT32 because of its ridiculously unnecessary file size limit of 2gb. I don't know anything about NTFS, however.

What? Did you pull this out of your rear end? Full games will be downloadable, and games like Tekken Tag 2 are NOT 2 GB.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It will likely be like the PS3 - an encrypted modified HFS volume. Nobody wants to pay the licensing costs to use NTFS. I was saying the Wii can use fat32 & ntfs

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any word if Gamestop having a midnight release on Saturday? I talked to the regular at the store I got pre-order, but he couldn't find any info if they were doing one or not.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I doubt the WiiU is gonna be compatible with FAT32 because of its ridiculously unnecessary file size limit of 2gb.

No problem on a software level. Just split them up into multiple files.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

What? Did you pull this out of your rear end? Full games will be downloadable, and games like Tekken Tag 2 are NOT 2 GB.

Pretty sure he's referring to the fact that FAT32 doesn't properly support files over 2GB in size without breaking them up into chunks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rirse posted:

Any word if Gamestop having a midnight release on Saturday? I talked to the regular at the store I got pre-order, but he couldn't find any info if they were doing one or not.

I know that my local Gamestop isn't because of Black Friday in the same week. They can't spare the hours to do a midnight launch on Sunday and have enough coverage for Friday.

E: VV Lucky, mine's not even opening early. 11:00, and not a moment before. :(

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 14, 2012

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Artix74 posted:

I know that my local Gamestop isn't because of Black Friday in the same week. They can't spare the hours to do a midnight launch on Sunday and have enough coverage for Friday.

That's what my Gamestop said :(

Oh well, I'm too old for midnight launches anyway. They said they were opening early, but not how early so I can get some breakfast or something beforehand.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I know a handful of Best Buys are doing a midnight release, but I don't know of any other store doing one.

I think I'm just gonna wake up early and go to Sears to try to get one.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I'd go for that Dell deal if I thought there was a reasonable chance of getting it close to launch, but I could easily see that not showing up for weeks. I'm really not sure where the best place will be to try to find a Deluxe Wii U.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Midnight launches are great if you want the hours and work there I guess. Otherwise they are really dumb. Go the gently caress to sleep, go to your job in the morning, there's plenty of time leftover for video games.

SupaPhly
Nov 14, 2012
too bad theres no midnight launch in my country :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

greatn posted:

Midnight launches are great if you want the hours and work there I guess. Otherwise they are really dumb. Go the gently caress to sleep, go to your job in the morning, there's plenty of time leftover for video games.

If people want to do them, then who cares? Maybe they don't have a baby on the way and can just do it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Artix74 posted:

They can't spare the hours

God I hate retail. This is the most manufactured, self-inflicted problem ever.

Also midnight launches are fun and are an excuse to party with a bunch of random nerds and get a billion streetpasses and play 8 player Mario Kart.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

greatn posted:

NO I NEED IT NOW

so i can sleep

then go to work

and let it wreck my imbecile mind as it sits in the box waiting for me.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Boten Anna posted:

Some states have a minimum hours requirement for scheduling, as much as 2 hours, and midnight launches are usually done in a half hour or so, so you're paying for 2 hours of work per person and only needing a half-hour's worth. At least that's what it was like when I worked in retail.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

You have to pay for like 3-4 people who make less than $10 an hour to show up to clear thousands of dollars of inventory. It's really not that bad of a deal.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Boten Anna posted:

Also midnight launches are fun and are an excuse to party with a bunch of random nerds and get a billion streetpasses and play 8 player Mario Kart.

The ROI for midnight launches is probably really low, especially for a console that 1) you've already completely out via pre-orders and 2) will have no problem upselling on when customers come to the register. When you have a midnight sale the clerks are given little time to explain the "benefits" of an extended warranty or whatever else they're trying to upsell and are forced to hand out extra hours to employees that they may have limits on. Midnight sales may be fun for nerds and people that aren't married or have kids but is there a real benefit for a business aside from selling all your inventory immediately?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bobnumerotres posted:

FAT32 has a file size limit of 2gb

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

No problem on a software level. Just split them up into multiple files.

I didn't know you could do this. Makes sense.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I know the Gamestop I'm going to isn't opening early so it's 10am which is fine by me. I've gotta work late Saturday night so I'm not really up for a midnight release anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Midnight sales may be fun for nerds and people that aren't married or have kids but is there a real benefit for a business aside from selling all your inventory immediately?

Without hard numbers, anything I say is drat near worthless and it has been a few years since my last midnight sale, but I have clear memory of people walking out of Gamestop with their bags filled with a lot more than what they preordered. The population density vs number of stores in the area probably plays a large role when it comes to determining whether or not it is worth it though.

• Locked thread