Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I can't imagine someone saying 'it's going to happen regardless' (Maia) is anything but terrible for getting pledges. Part of the incentive of pledging is to feel like you helped make something happen that couldn't without funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orzo posted:

Can someone explain Hero-U to me? Where is the actual in-game content? I see a single screenshot that looks like a decently-made flash game but even the video uses the exact same screenshot in several locations. Is there any gameplay video or even screenshots of any other locations? How on earth does this have over $300k attached to it? Concept art does not make a game.

Well, to be fair, there have been plenty of games that were way more successful than Hero U with even less in-game content being shown, such as Project Eternity and Planetary Annihilation. I don't see what's so bad about a kickstarter project that hasn't begun development yet or has only just begun. Sure, it's a bigger risk to back, but not everyone is going to be able to fund enough development on their own to be able to show a presentable game before they move to Kickstarter.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Maybe they're referencing that one charity Sean Hannity was working with that was essentially propping up his show and funding his travels across America.

And yeah, it was a bit obvious that very pointed question was a sort of informal survey. I didn't mind, because it meant I could possibly help a KS or two steer away from making a bad decision, and it might save my wallet for the next few months if my willpower gives out.

I certainly hope Hero-U starts pushing past the goal, because I might have to lower my pledge by about 20 bucks at least to make sure I don't end up with a negative amount in my bankaccount come next Tuesday.

Edit: vvvvv Nope. Having backed over 100 projects isn't enough, I have to hit that 1000 pledge sweetspot.

Seriously though dude you're going to overdraft for a loving video game? Cancel your pledge, you crazy person.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Maybe they're referencing that one charity Sean Hannity was working with that was essentially propping up his show and funding his travels across America.

And yeah, it was a bit obvious that very pointed question was a sort of informal survey. I didn't mind, because it meant I could possibly help a KS or two steer away from making a bad decision, and it might save my wallet for the next few months if my willpower gives out.

I certainly hope Hero-U starts pushing past the goal, because I might have to lower my pledge by about 20 bucks at least to make sure I don't end up with a negative amount in my bankaccount come next Tuesday.

Edit: vvvvv Nope. Having backed over 100 projects isn't enough, I have to hit that 1000 pledge sweetspot.

This is going to be the next version of Hoarders, isn't it? "Kickstarters - People who just can't stop donating to potential videogames."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
They'll go over all your pledges one by one, asking if you really need to back them and canceling them in turn.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

AnonSpore posted:

They'll go over all your pledges one by one, asking if you really need to back them and canceling them in turn.
:crossarms: "Do you... Do you really think this one will succeed? I don't see gameplay footage he-"
:v:"No, no this one will be good. I know the guy. Well, I bought his game."
:crossarms: "and is long ago was that?"
:v: "we'll, it's been 10 years, but I figu-"
:crossarms: "do you think we can defund this one? Let's defund this one."

... though the OUYA thread is already doing a fine job of that, all on its own. It seems to have broken many a serial kickstarter.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 18, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shalinor posted:

:crossarms: "Do you... Do you really think this one will succeed? I don't see gameplay footage he-"
:v:"No, no this one will be good. I know the guy. Well, I bought his game."
:crossarms: "and is long ago was that?"
:v: "we'll, it's been 10 years, but I figu-"
:crossarms: "do you think we can defund this one? Let's defund this one."

... though the OUYA thread is already doing a fine job of that, all on its own. It seems to have broken many a serial kickstarter.

Man, you can't have me cancel my pledges! These people need me! Can't you see that ? :smith: They just want my support, I'm not a bad guy. I just wanna spend inordinate amounts of money on wild chances at seeing my childhood again :(

In all seriousness, I usually go over my economy well enough in advance that I'll know how much I can afford to lose each month. Usually. Worst case scenario I'll just have to try and convince everyone that owes me money that random game developers they've never heard of needs the cash more than they do.

Edit: vvvv Actually what's probably going to happen is I'll use the money to back something like what SA did last year, supporting a Haitian school and donating to Japan after that earthquake struck. I'm only partially serious when I say I'm addicted to Kickstarting. Partially.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 18, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
:catstare:
Calling in old debts to fill a zero balance bank account in order to buy videogames just seems.... I'm laughing, but I feel kinda bad, too.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Orzo posted:

Can someone explain Hero-U to me?
I've pledged to Hero-U entirely because I really loved Quest for Glory. I hadn't even checked the video until I read the discussion here.

And yeah, from that, there's not much to pledge for other than being an ultra-rabid QfG fan. :smith:

Edit: (below) I'm keeping my pledge because I'm happy throwing a little money the Coles way to work on a project they love. Their project certainly sounds doable and personally I like the indie flash adventure game style they're going for. But their pitch is woeful and really does have nothing when you strip out the QfG nostalgia.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 19, 2012

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I cancelled my pledge. I too pledged because of QFG nostalgia, but this just keeps looking more and more like a disappointing flash game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Krenzo posted:

I too pledged because of nostalgia, but this just keeps looking more and more like a disappointing flash game.

Welcome to the next decade of marketing to our generation, videogame edition.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

evilmiera posted:

Edit: vvvv Actually what's probably going to happen is I'll use the money to back something like what SA did last year, supporting a Haitian school and donating to Japan after that earthquake struck. I'm only partially serious when I say I'm addicted to Kickstarting. Partially.
SCENE FROM EVILMEIRA AND THE LAST KICKSTARTER CRUSADE

"I can get the last stretch goal. I can almost reach it, Quarex ..."
"Evilmeira ... EVILMEIRA! Let it go."
(EVILMEIRA takes QUAREX'S hands, QUAREX pulls EVILMEIRA out of money pit)

(test audiences did not like the ending where Quarex gets pulled into the pit with Evilmeira)

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Quarex posted:

SCENE FROM EVILMEIRA AND THE LAST KICKSTARTER CRUSADE

"I can get the last stretch goal. I can almost reach it, Quarex ..."
"Evilmeira ... EVILMEIRA! Let it go."
(EVILMEIRA takes QUAREX'S hands, QUAREX pulls EVILMEIRA out of money pit)

(test audiences did not like the ending where Quarex gets pulled into the pit with Evilmeira)

Now that's the code of a carpenter.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Is there a good list anywhere of successfully funded kickstarters and maybe dates when they released their games?

Would be kind of interesting I think.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

AllanGordon posted:

Is there a good list anywhere of successfully funded kickstarters and maybe dates when they released their games?

Would be kind of interesting I think.

Bit early for that I think. Many of these are still in beta/alpha form, and off the top of my head I can only remember at most 3 games that are playable yet. Then again I only obsess about games I've backed, so I've probably missed some.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FTL is the poster child of successful Kickstarter-to-Product. There isn't much else at the moment, though.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/thorvalla-an-rpg-by-guido-henkel

I don't know why, but I am actually giddy about this. Out of all the big name RPG Kickstarters, this is the one I'm most excited about. It's weird because all the other ones had so much more information and concept art and BIG NAMES or whatever, but Realms of Arkania is just such a special series of games for me. It defined what I enjoy about games so to see Guido Henkel talk about a successor gets me really excited. I hope it goes well, but $1 million is a pretty crazy goal.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

FTL is the poster child of successful Kickstarter-to-Product. There isn't much else at the moment, though.

There's Giana Sisters too, but it was mostly complete.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chef Boyardee posted:

I don't know why, but I am actually giddy about this. Out of all the big name RPG Kickstarters, this is the one I'm most excited about. It's weird because all the other ones had so much more information and concept art and BIG NAMES or whatever, but Realms of Arkania is just such a special series of games for me. It defined what I enjoy about games so to see Guido Henkel talk about a successor gets me really excited. I hope it goes well, but $1 million is a pretty crazy goal.

The G3 Studios site is hilarious. Last update - 2005!

Still, threw in the early backer fifteen bucks, to give them some momentum. There's always time to pull them out.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
FTL did their campaign before stretch goals were a thing and got 2000% of their goal. What did they do with all that money?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Karpaw posted:

FTL did their campaign before stretch goals were a thing and got 2000% of their goal. What did they do with all that money?

Blackjack and hookers :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's excess sales, basically. Without a given commitment on extra features for more pledges, any money beyond their goal/development cost is pretty much free for use on as much booze/sports cars/houses as they want, same as if they'd sold the copies after development was finished.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Yeah, at this point I think it's naive to see Kickstarter as anything other than a combined publicity drive and mass preorder system (with the added benefit of not charging you if the project doesn't take off). It's a good thing and a niche that needed to be filled, but let's be honest here.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pochoclo posted:

Yeah, at this point I think it's naive to see Kickstarter as anything other than a combined publicity drive and mass preorder system (with the added benefit of not charging you if the project doesn't take off). It's a good thing and a niche that needed to be filled, but let's be honest here.

For games, yes. Kickstarter's original concept of, say, things like if you were trying to do a book run on something and didn't know if you could cover costs, or for backing questionable design ideas, is still valid and applicable on many of the other sections of the site.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Megazver posted:

The G3 Studios site is hilarious. Last update - 2005!

Still, threw in the early backer fifteen bucks, to give them some momentum. There's always time to pull them out.

It's ridiculous how everyone's set on "a cool million" as minimum project budget.
I mean, it's obvious that enough suckers will flock to pretty much any project to actually *get* that much, no complaint there.

It's just almost insulting after people like Schaefer went out with a modest minimum threshold, to find a ton of really, really "vintage" names just assuming they're worth three times as much. For Shaker, well, it was kinda refreshing to see their egos getting deflated, I can only hope that KS people will eventually start being more discerning.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Krenzo posted:

I cancelled my pledge. I too pledged because of QFG nostalgia, but this just keeps looking more and more like a disappointing flash game.
Yeah, honestly the art is a big turnoff. I played a lot of QFG myself as a kid too. Mainly the VGA QFG1 and QFG3 (and pretty much every sierra game too). The hand painted art was a big part of the charm. Without it, the games just aren't the same.

Really, there are a good number of recent, completed adventure games out there which do have good art. Hero-u really feels like the only thing it riding on is the QFG nostalgia. If it had to stand on its own, I think it would topple.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AllanGordon posted:

Diamond Trust of London and Unemployment Quest came out. As did No Time to Explain and betas of Cloudberry Kingdom and Rhythm Destruction.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

If we're including betas - Stoic opened up the beta for Banner Saga's free-to-play multiplayer to the public today (though they're charging $15 for it). The full single player game isn't due for a good while yet though.

Illessa fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 19, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Illessa posted:

If we're including betas - Stoic opened up the beta for Banner Saga's free-to-play multiplayer to the public today (though they're charging $15 for it). The full single player game isn't due for a good while yet though.

They're charging $15 for a bundle of two steam keys.
$15 for two.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Legends of Eisenwald also has a beta coming up on Desura.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The sequel to The Ship doesn't look to be trending too well, alas. Though I hadn't realized that it wasn't even by the original devs.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
What goon-involved game kickstarters are going presently? Just curious what some of our folks are up to there. I think there was that one castle building one that looks neat.

Also the only two kickstarters I've funded are yogventures (60 bux) and Obsidian's project eternity. (110 bux) Both proudly goon-involved projects of course. :3:

On that note, yogventure's alpha engine stuff is gradually taking shape.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 19, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I just want the goddamned Barkley Gaiden Kickstarter to come out so I can retire from pledging.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel bad for the Cloudberry Kingdom dudes missing both their release target and their Wii U launch, especially because they ended up getting delayed even more by Sandy. Oh well, from the beta it seemed like they were on the right track to putting out exactly the game they advertised, so hopefully by the end of the year we'll see something cool from them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

The sequel to The Ship doesn't look to be trending too well, alas. Though I hadn't realized that it wasn't even by the original devs.

It's probably not helped that there was already a sequel to the Ship, Bloody Good Time. I don't know how well that one did either.

To be honest I like the concept of the Ship and even bought it when it first came out, but it never seems to be as fun in practice as it seems like it should be. It probably comes down to the fact that human players aren't really going to care too much about doing Hitman-esque things like blending in when it's way easier to just murder your target the second you see them since most places don't have any witnesses or cameras around.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's multiplayer kind of delivered more successfully on the same premise.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's probably not helped that there was already a sequel to the Ship, Bloody Good Time. I don't know how well that one did either.

To be honest I like the concept of the Ship and even bought it when it first came out, but it never seems to be as fun in practice as it seems like it should be. It probably comes down to the fact that human players aren't really going to care too much about doing Hitman-esque things like blending in when it's way easier to just murder your target the second you see them since most places don't have any witnesses or cameras around.
Bloody Good Time failed in large part because they balanced it toward that action instead of the subtlety. Which they kind of had to do, I imagine, what with the game being published on a major console for mass audiences.

I still think you could balance it better for the Hitman side of things, but, I doubt the current kickstarter will be the one to do it. 150k is a high target for what would be, at best, a niche game. Something more like Murder Mansion, just on a not-poo poo platform, would probably be the way better approach for tackling that gameplay.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Shalinor posted:

I still think you could balance it better for the Hitman side of things, but, I doubt the current kickstarter will be the one to do it. 150k is a high target for what would be, at best, a niche game. Something more like Murder Mansion, just on a not-poo poo platform, would probably be the way better approach for tackling that gameplay.

If someone ports some of those BYOND games to an engine that isn't the worst they could stand to make a bundle from goons alone.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Didn't some of The Ship team go onto work on Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's multiplayer? Or am I just making a non-existent connection in my head because those two games are kind of similar (also Bloody Good Time was published by Ubi Soft).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thorvalla is starting out sllllllllllllow. Hope it gains steam.

Shalinor posted:

It's a pity Bloody Good Time didn't do well. My main impression from playing The Ship was "ships make for lovely loving levels". BGT's theme, whatever changes they made to the basic gameplay, seemed to be so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Chef Boyardee posted:

I backed this because, yay Realms of Arkania, and I think the pitch is actually on reasonably solid ground, but I'm afraid the lowest pledge tier is going to hold this back. Having only 5000 $15 slots and then jumping straight to $25 for a copy of the game is going to make it hard to get enough low level backers to get momentum. I hope I'm wrong.