Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bobnumerotres posted:

How much are they charging for Arkham City? Because on Steam you can literally just wait two or three days and it'll be under ten bucks.

If they're charging more than 30 bucks for all these half-year+ old ports then gently caress 'em, they deserve all the flak they're getting.

Not literally, WILL be ten bucks in a few days on Amazon bundled with Arkham Aslyum (with Steam keys). Check the thread to see when that happens.

Anyway I'm loving the system so far. I didn't get anything beyond Nintendo Land so far, but am enjoying the smaller things too much to complain. Like finally having all my WiiWare/VC games on one system.

That said, I know the ports are full bad FPSs and other odd bugs, but anyone who played AC3 on the WiiU and other consoles note the quality. Kinda want to get it next week, otherwise I just get the Steam copy when it goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

evilalien posted:

Trying to compare this to PC system ram is not the way to go. They are using DDR3 1600 as system/GPU memory as opposed to the GDDR you would expect to see, and that can be found on every performance GPU and in the 360/PS3. It is a massive downgrade in terms of bandwidth and only time will tell how much of a problem this is going to be. The EDRAM should help to offset this a bit though.

Ooohh. Didn't know they were talking graphics memory. Heh, even the Wii had 64MB of GDDR memory.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Holy crap the Wii Transfer animation is adorable. Go, Pikmin, go!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

That said, I know the ports are full bad FPSs and other odd bugs, but anyone who played AC3 on the WiiU and other consoles note the quality. Kinda want to get it next week, otherwise I just get the Steam copy when it goes on sale.

Quality is the same as the other consoles. Wait for the sale, it's not worth full price.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

evilalien posted:

It supports 5.1 PCM over HDMI which is true surround sound and superior to Dolby Digital and DTS. It's obviously a cost cutting measure since they aren't paying for the licenses. It does leave people with receivers that can't do HDMI audio in a bad position though.

Gotchya. I didn't see the PCM over HDMI. And in the menu options it just says "Surround". Thanks for the heads up. That is better for me as I have a receiver capable and switch through that anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Static Rook posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a little icon by their name if they've played it? I know something like that was on one of the Miiverse start-up screens but I can't find it anymore.

As for arty NSMBU posts, I just subject people to my horrible art. My Yoshi looks like a bad hand puppet but whatever, I got all 3 Star Coins. Acknowledge me, Miiverse!. I do hope an Art Academy game comes out soon though, the good drawings make me jealous.

Yes, Miiverse has an icon that tells you if someone has played the game they're talking about. I wish this feature magically extended to everything on the internet, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Game of the year, all years.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to get more messages to appear on the "dashboard" when you start the system up. Mostly so I don't see the same repeating Nintendo tip messages over and over.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Revol posted:

Jesus, this just seems like so much nitpickery. For one, they say the battery life is 'unexpected'. I thought 3-5 hours was what we were always told?

And slow memory? How serious of a bottleneck could that possibly be? That usually nets you a few FPS on a PC system, if anything.

With the HDMI audio stuff... people are complaining that you can't use HDMI along with another output at the same time for audio use. Is this something 360 or PS3 can do? Because I would never expect to receive this feature.

Are you kidding with this stuff? Cinch audio with digital outputs is absolutely a standard feature on 360 and PS3, and very necessary for many setups. With Nintendo skimping on licenses (DD5.1, DTS) and the console lacking a TOSLINK port that is standard on both competitive platforms even more so.

And even HDMI video out is substandard on the Wii U, as only Limited Range colour output as opposed to Full Range is supported, which leads to worse blacks and faded colours on many better displays that support Full Range.

Slow memory seems to be an extremely noticeable bottleneck, considering the terrible shadow maps in Black Ops 2, for example.

And what's unexpected is Nintendo only putting a small 1500mAh battery in their game controller, still not having a real account system, not binding savegames to user accounts, everything being dog slow, ...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Game consoles need a 10th* of the amount of ram to accomplish what a PC needs to accomplish.

*probably exaggerating but the fact is, the OS for the Wii U uses nothing compared to a Windows or Apple OS.

The Wii U OS requires a constant 1GB of RAM.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Honestly, bad ports are going to be a factor in the next Xbox and PS launch too. You're going to have games that are multi-platform across 5-6 systems, and the next-gen ports are going to have the least amount of effort into them.

I'm not buying a next gen PS4 or Xbox 720 system if their game ports are going to be worse than current gen editions. There is no chance this will happen, though, as those consoles are going to feature faster, not slower hardware than current gen consoles.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 19, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quote:

Slow memory seems to be an extremely noticeable bottleneck, considering the terrible shadow maps in Black Ops 2, for example.
Source?

quote:

The Wii U OS requires a constant 1GB of RAM.

Have a feeling there's a lot of wiggle room for that. The 3DS had a certain amount of memory the OS needed, and now games are allowed to borrow some of that memory.

quote:

I'm not buying a next gen PS4 or Xbox 720 system if their game ports are going to be worse than current gen editions. There is no chance this will happen, though, as those consoles are going to feature faster, not slower hardware than current gen consoles.
Launch ports and other launch games on the 360 looked like garbage and ran like absolute dog poo poo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bobnumerotres posted:

Source?

Have a feeling there's a lot of wiggle room for that. The 3DS had a certain amount of memory the OS needed, and now games are allowed to borrow some of that memory.

Nope, they mandate that developers literally are only allowed to use 1 GB. And I actually mean literally. They might eventually allow the devs to use it, but they haven't yet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Nope, they mandate that developers literally are only allowed to use 1 GB. And I actually mean literally. They might eventually allow the devs to use it, but they haven't yet.

So 1GB of slow memory vs. 512MB of much faster memory. I'm not that techie but it doesn't sound like one is clearly better in every situation.

Nintendo.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bobnumerotres posted:

Launch ports and other launch games on the 360 looked like garbage and ran like absolute dog poo poo.

Launch ports and other launch games on the 360 did much more than previous gen versions - higher resolution, better framerate, new engine. Not a single 360 launch game ran worse than its PS2 or Xbox equivalent while doing the same technically.

And even ZombiU, an exclusive game with pretty lacklustre graphics, suffers from significant slowdowns on the Wii U.

It also absolutely won't matter if ports are going to be better at the end of next year: New consoles from Microsoft and Sony are coming out then, the Wii U is going to look even older then.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

netBuff posted:

It also absolutely won't matter if ports are going to be better at the end of next year: New consoles from Microsoft and Sony are coming out then, the Wii U is going to look even older then.

Not by a whole lot. Unless something changed and people want to spend 600+ on a console. It won't be a next gen leap. People have been saying this for a long while.

quote:

And even ZombiU, an exclusive game with pretty lacklustre graphics, suffers from significant slowdowns on the Wii U.

It's new hardware and needs to be optimized differently. It is also Day 2 of the console being out. A lot of these issues will probably be hotfixed soon. A lot of the games that do something new on any new console tend to run like poo poo, because devs are figuring out the hardware.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 19, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I for one am absolutely shocked that third-party developers would take a "get it functional and then maybe patch it later" approach to a port on a new platform.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the mii you select during the beginning of your wii u setup changeable, I have one on my wii I want to transfer / use and dont really wanna remake my perfect likeness

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

netBuff posted:

Launch ports and other launch games on the 360 did much more than previous gen versions - higher resolution, better framerate, new engine. Not a single 360 launch game ran worse than its PS2 or Xbox equivalent while doing the same technically.

You have clearly forgotten how bad many of the games on the 360/PS3 both looked and performed during the first year. I'm really not interested in getting into a console war conversation, but generally speaking it takes people (even the smartest amongst us) time to learn how to work with and develop for a new system in order to get the most out of it. That goes for new releases and ports.

I expected that with the Wii, 360, and PS3. I expected it with the Wii U and most likely that is going to be the case with the next gen xbox and playstation as well. This is just part of a console's lifecycle. It is not specific to any brand.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bobnumerotres posted:

Not by a whole lot. Unless something changed and people want to spend 600+ on a console.

They are certainly going to be much more powerful, all recent rumours pretty much guarantee this. I can tell you what they won't be: Weaker than current gen consoles.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's new hardware and needs to be optimized differently. It is also Day 2 of the console being out. A lot of these issues will probably be hotfixed soon. A lot of the games that do something new on any new console tend to run like poo poo, because devs are figuring out the hardware.

Or maybe they run like poo poo because this console is evidently underpowered in the CPU, RAM and memory bandwidth department. This is the fourth Nintendo console in a row that has significant limitations that pretty much preclude any reasonable third-party support.

Xavier434 posted:

You have clearly forgotten how bad many of the games on the 360/PS3 both looked and performed during the first year. I'm really not interested in getting into a console war conversation, but generally speaking it takes people (even the smartest amongst us) time to learn how to work with and develop for a new system in order to get the most out of it. That goes for new releases and ports.

I haven't forgotten: They all certainly weren't PS2/Xbox games. If you thruthfully believe what you wrote, then you might be the console warrior.

And what people on here seem to forget: The Wii U isn't launching against the Xbox 360 and PS3 of yore, but against today's consoles and lineups. It doesn't seem to fare well, so far.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really don't know how much of "developers don't know how to code yet" chatter. I think the more likely problem is they are trying to render at 720p when they probably need to compromise at 520p upscaled just like on other consoles, and they are splitting processing between two screens.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We need more yelling about perceptions and hypotheticals.
Its almost been 48 hours people shout harder! Get angrier!
I had problems with connecting with miiverse and could have lost my poo poo over it too but then I remembered the dang system had a copy of a new Mario game and I just played that instead of hitting f5 here and getting e-angry.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

PS3 had an awful launch in every sense of the word.

It looks like there was no quality control with the WiiU ports though. Almost every port has been reported to have bad framerate issues and other problems that weren't present on other consoles. Might get hot-fixed but that's still pretty awful.

There was one very awesome/hilarious moment to the launch, but it wasn't because of Sony. At the Paris launch event for Playstation 3, punctuated by cold temperatures and lots of waiting and milling about, Microsoft pulled alongside with a brightly lit party boat advertising the Xbox. This actually happened.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

netBuff posted:

They are certainly going to be much more powerful, all recent rumours pretty much guarantee this. I can tell you what they won't be: Weaker than current gen consoles.

Or maybe they run like poo poo because this console is evidently underpowered in the CPU, RAM and memory bandwidth department. This is the fourth Nintendo console in a row that has significant limitations that pretty much preclude any reasonable third-party support.

Your account's pretty new and half your posts consists of stuff like this. Alright buddy. You have a good trollin' time.

quote:

There was one very awesome/hilarious moment to the launch, but it wasn't because of Sony. At the Paris launch event for Playstation 3, punctuated by cold temperatures and lots of waiting and milling about, Microsoft pulled alongside with a brightly lit party boat advertising the Xbox. This actually happened.
Oh my god that's incredible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Seaniqua posted:

I think most people want it so they have way to hook their console audio into their audio receiver.
Yep. I'm still looking for recommendations for a splitter that's relatively cheap and doesn't have lagginess associated with it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:siren: Stop the presses, third party Wii U launch titles are not 100% technologically perfect :siren:

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

netBuff posted:

So are you in her to tell us about your recent Wii U purchase or because nobody at your school will talk to you?

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Picked up my console last night, didn't yet have an opportunity to play much more than 10 minutes of Zelda in Nintendo Land, and while I'm still excited, I'm also a bit let down by my first impression.

The setup wizard is good, but the menus are sluggish, and the overall "feel" of the system ui is not terribly impressive. I'm not looking for a big intro w/ lightning bolts and explosions or anything (see original X-Box), just a swift, well-thought, and tasteful UI. Clicking through options just takes forever. Feels too much like the old Wii, whereas I guess I wanted something more futuristic. The repeated timeouts on the system update download don't help (but at least it seemed to be able to resume after a timeout, rather than redownloading the whole thing each time).

The game store actually seems pretty good, much better than the old Wii though. Can't wait to play NSMBU when I get home. (Although, I really hope the account system thing becomes sane. I probably would've just bought a physical copy if I knew that accounts were tied to a single system.)

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bobnumerotres posted:

Your account's pretty new and half your posts consists of stuff like this. Alright buddy. You have a good trollin' time.

Oh my god that's incredible.

I'm buying a Wii U Premium Pack myself. But that doesn't mean I can't write it like it is and have to be a Nintendo die-hard instead: Anyone that is buying this console for third party games is going to be sorely disappointed.

And the first party lineup is very meagre at this point as well: New Super Mario Bros. U really isn't exciting to me in any way after just recently playing New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS, NintendoLand seems like something that could be fun once in a while, ZombiU seems terrible. Let's better not talk about the rest.

Nintendo also has much to improve on the software side, so far practically everything concerning the console's OS seems horribly rushed and poorly thought out.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE LET'S STOP THIS DERAIL

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I'm a little confused as to why people keep framing this argument like it's only possible to have one console at a time.

Honestly, given the likely price point/software library (lots of multi-platform titles, very few exclusives) of the next gen Xbox and Playstation, I think it's pretty likely this time around that people will go with one of the above + a WiiU (because unlike Xbox/Playstation platforms, I'm fairly confident that the WiiU will have a number of interesting exclusives over the next 5-6 years).

I think that will differ pretty markedly from this generation, where "hard-core" gamers picked up a 360 and PS3, and maybe a Wii. If you're in a household that's likely to only adopt a single console, I'd wager that Nintendo's strategy of emphasizing localized, social gaming is probably going to appeal to you.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

So for all the complaining about the hardware, every one of these things has some achilles heel. The xbox can't work with blu rays and requires expensive proprietary hard drives and the ps3 only has 256 mb of RAM, for instance. If this poo poo bothers you go cry about it on xbox live or whatever nobody cares.

greatn posted:

I really don't know how much of "developers don't know how to code yet" chatter. I think the more likely problem is they are trying to render at 720p when they probably need to compromise at 520p upscaled just like on other consoles, and they are splitting processing between two screens.

The screen is controlled by a dedicated chip so in the cases of mirroring I don't think much processing power is dedicated to it. However given that rendering at a higher resolution on the TV than the screen might require a bit of extra doing (resolution-appropriate HUD elements, etc.) maybe that's one of the things that just hasn't been optimized yet.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Is anyone really denying that Nintendo released a late seventh generation console?

The problem lies in what the eighth generation is supposed to look like and if the top end PC games have any indication it won't be a major leap. It won't even be an X-Box to 360 leap.

It is more powerful than a 360 or PS3 but not by much. The problem comes in with people trying to decide how much more powerful it is based on rush ports and first year games.

From where the industry seems to be going, Nintendo has released a console with current gen at current gen pricing while the next Sony and Microsoft consoles will have no choice but to increase the price of their consoles and the individual games in order for any developer to make a profit, thus making gamers decide whether they want to spend double on their gaming input every year just to have the top console tech.

EDIT: I'm going to keep this here but yeah end of discussion

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

netBuff posted:

New Super Mario Bros. U really isn't exciting to me in any way after just recently playing New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS

As someone who is in the same boat, play NSMBU. It's way better than NSMB2. YOU CAN RIDE YOSHI FOR FUCKS SAKE ITS BEEN HOW LONG LIKE 20 YEARS gently caress

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Boten Anna posted:

So for all the complaining about the hardware, every one of these things has some achilles heel. The xbox can't work with blu rays and requires expensive proprietary hard drives and the ps3 only has 256 mb of RAM, for instance. If this poo poo bothers you go cry about it on xbox live or whatever nobody cares.

You're comparing a brand new console to 7 year old ones which might as well be frome the stone ages with the way technology ages. And obviously quite a lot of people care about it. There's bound to be people - like me - who had reservations about the system due to Nintendo's history with such things and as such are following this thread to see if giving this a try was worthwhile and their reservations were unfounded. So believe it or not, the people who are "nitpicking" at these things are doing people like me a service, by telling me the exact things I'd feared about this machine are true.

How discussion of the Wii-U hardware in the Wii-U thread is a "derail" is beyond me.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Hello new ringtone.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Robolizard! posted:

Is the mii you select during the beginning of your wii u setup changeable, I have one on my wii I want to transfer / use and dont really wanna remake my perfect likeness

Yeah, you can change it later. I used a default one to set everything up, then switched it to my old Wii one after I transfered everything over.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Surlaw posted:

If anyone could recommend a specific device for that that would be great.

Not sure if you have the budget, but you would be much better off just saving for a receiver with HDMI switching which will take care of all of this for you and will help your set up in the long run anyway.

My complaints so far is that the UI is sluggish and slow - with that said, it is easy enough to navigate. But I wish it was a lot more responsive.

With that said, I have this console for the 1st party games, and I do not see this system as anything but. But I am used to that now, and it has been this way since the N64.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 19, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

toxicsunset posted:

How discussion of the Wii-U hardware in the Wii-U thread is a "derail" is beyond me.

It's the histrionics. I'm interested in what silly little limitations are in the hardware too, but not along with crying about how babby Nintendo hosed everyone again and qqqQQQQ along with absolutely no goddamned perspective that leads to denial that other platforms don't have similar problems.

The 720 and PS4 are going to have terrible what-the-gently caress poo poo in them too, because there is always compromise on some components when you make millions of these things. And honestly if that bothers you then I don't know build your own computer or something, I know I did.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 19, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The problem lies in what the eighth generation is supposed to look like and if the top end PC games have any indication it won't be a major leap. It won't even be an X-Box to 360 leap.
Yep. As others have said it's going to be the difference between running BF3 on medium-low as consoles do now and running it on Ultra with a high res and all the bells and whistles. It won't be Halo 1 -> Halo 4, and if it was, there are probably only two or three gaming megacorps around that would even be able to half-afford the development costs.

quote:

It is more powerful than a 360 or PS3 but not by much. The problem comes in with people trying to decide how much more powerful it is based on rush ports and first year games.

Yeah people are testing out the third party ports and concluding that the console is weaker/the same, when that really has nothing to do with it at all. Darksiders 1 looks like an Xbox 1 game and runs like dogshit on my GTX560+i5 2500K. It's not a mystery which side the problem is on.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 19, 2012

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Boten Anna posted:

It's the histrionics. I'm interested in what silly little limitations are in the hardware too, but not along with crying about how babby Nintendo hosed everyone again and qqqQQQQ along with absolutely no goddamned perspective that leads to denial that other platforms don't have similar problems.
People can be frustrated that Nintendo made questionable decisions on a chunk of hardware that costs as much as the WiiU does. Stop tying your identity into a toy manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Gendo posted:

People can be frustrated that Nintendo made questionable decisions on a chunk of hardware that costs as much as the WiiU does. Stop tying your identity into a toy manufacturer.

Yeah I'm referring more to poo poo posts like this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3507212&perpage=40&pagenumber=132#post409743701

As I said I'm interested in what the Wii U can and can't do, but NINTENDO IS loving US AGAIN combined with "future unannounced console from competitor is going to be perfect" is obnoxious bullshit.

• Locked thread