Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, and Wonderful 101 are the anticipated Q1 titles. Nintendo haven't announced much beyond that, aside from SSB and Bayonetta 2 being somewhere off in the distance.

Wonderful 101 is looking like another mixed bag of nuts. Some people said it was crazy fun, others said it was just crazy and they didn't know what they were doing or what the hell was going on and it felt like a lot of button mashing.

It's Platinum though. They make weird, but great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

March 2013 is pretty much "Monster Hunter: The Month" for me and the Wii U.

MAKE SOME NOISE, HUNTERS!!!!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wonderful 101 is looking like another mixed bag of nuts. Some people said it was crazy fun, others said it was just crazy and they didn't know what they were doing or what the hell was going on and it felt like a lot of button mashing.

It's Platinum though. They make weird, but great games.
Aren't all the impressions from like 5 minutes at e3? Not surprising people dIdnt know what was going on. I'm awaiting some proper previews.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

March 2013 is pretty much "Monster Hunter: The Month" for me and the Wii U.

MAKE SOME NOISE, HUNTERS!!!!

Yeah this game alone justifies my purchase. The fact that there will be Smash Bros, a real Mario game, Zelda, Metroid etc. in the future on top of third party games that won't make it to PC is not even icing on the cake, it's Scarlette Johansson and Robert Downey jr. leaping out of the cake and inviting me to a threesome.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Bobnumerotres posted:

it's Scarlette Johansson and Robert Downey jr. leaping out of the cake and inviting me to a threesome.

A long time ago I convinced my little brothers to help me buy a SNES by claiming the graphics jump out of the screen. Above is a better argument.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
Things are running much smoother today. Miiverse is responsive.

Getting into Nintendoland for a bit. Loving the Pikmin game and DK's Crash Course. I hope there is more than the one huge level, but it in itself is pretty tough!

SpeedRazor fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 20, 2012

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well aren't the specs still not really known? We know all about the RAM, but not the eDRAM, the GPU is stronger than the 360's but no one knows by how much, and the CPU is still a mystery. Hopefully some third party leaks everything.

It's to reward pirates, obviously.

The CPU seems to be significantly weaker than what even the Xbox 360 has. The GPU is faster, but that's pretty much a fact of production reality: Nintendo bought from ATIs lineup.

Boten Anna posted:

This is all of course assuming that the console is engaging enough and gets traction, but the buzz and popularity so far bode well for this I think.

Where do you see all this buzz and popularity? The only place where I see excitement and discussion on the Wii U is in hardcore circles: I doesn't seem to have gained much traction with "casuals" at this point.

And the current "save havens" for indie developers (aside of PSN and XBL) are iOS and Android.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 19, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I commented on some guy who said: "Who else loves that the levels have names now? Looks like they put a lot of thought into each one."

I commented with: "Yoshi's Island had names for their levels and that game has been out since 95!"

Why would that be deleted for spoilers?

Of course they wouldn't even touch the drawing I did where I explicitly state that I am on shrooms.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

netBuff posted:

And the current "save haven" for indie developers (aside of PSN and XBL) are iOS and Android.

I agree with you on the CPU comments (I think Anandtech said on twitter it was a dual core 1 Ghz CPU - I could be wrong though) but as far as a safe haven for Indie devs, Nintendo's recently released policies on indie development have been VERY positively received making it very easy to develop, market, and patch without being nickle and dimed to death.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I am hoping to get one of these after Christmas. But Currently I wanna know how awesome ZombiU is. Please someone sperg over it, because currently it is the only reason I want the system.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Utnayan posted:

I agree with you on the CPU comments (I think Anandtech said on twitter it was a dual core 1 Ghz CPU - I could be wrong though)

:lol: that's completely impossible. The games that run on it wouldn't run at all if that was true. It's probably something very comparable to what the 360 has. The only thing I've seen about the CPU being weak is from forums and some rumors.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yes they can. They can afford a repeat of the Wii for the next 50 years.

Do people here really think that the negative 2011 and 2012 for Nintendo negates all of the money they made between 2005 and 2010?

As I mentioned, what helped make Nintendo money on the Wii was that they were selling every Wii at a profit. That's why the Wii was able to be profitable with strong hardware sales despite very low software sales.

The WiiU is being sold at a loss. If the WiiU ends up moving units like the Wii did while selling software at the same level as the Wii, Nintendo's going to be in much, much worse shape than they were with the Wii until component prices fall enough to put an individual console hardware sale into the black.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Slayer1597 posted:

I am hoping to get one of these after Christmas. But Currently I wanna know how awesome ZombiU is. Please someone sperg over it, because currently it is the only reason I want the system.

Wait for other games to come out then. It's not a reason to get a WiiU.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Aren't all the impressions from like 5 minutes at e3? Not surprising people dIdnt know what was going on. I'm awaiting some proper previews.

It was at New York Comic Con too, and it was given a pretty big spot near Nintendo Land at that. I only played Nintendoland, Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends when I went, though, so I can't give any impressions myself, but Wonderful 101 has been around.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Gendo posted:

When is the next big wave of titles going to hit? Q1 2013? I'm still holding off until I see another title or two that really interest me but it's kind of tempting to make a move now prior to the holidays since I'll have tons of guests running through the house.

I'd say go for it based soley off of your guests. You will forever be the Cool Uncle for bringing out Nintendoland.

netBuff posted:

Where do you see all this buzz and popularity? The only place where I see excitement and discussion on the Wii U is in hardcore circles: I doesn't seem to have gained much traction with "casuals" at this point.

And the current "save havens" for indie developers (aside of PSN and XBL) are iOS and Android.

There's more of them than there were Wiis and they're fairly scarce. Obviously they haven't drummed up Wii1 levels of excitement but there's a lot of curiosity surrounding it.

And of course right now those are the indie platforms. I'm not talking about right now.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

netBuff posted:

As a disclaimer, I don't claim that Nintendo will fix or be better than any or all of these; they have a poor-ish track record that they seem to be attempting to improve, but it's far too early to say what will happen.

Most of those are not great points of comparison. You can put out basically anything you want on XBLIG, iOS, or Android but nobody will buy anything. Android users are notoriously tight-walleted, even more so than iOS users who can hardly see paying anything more than $1 for a title. All but PSN have the problem that there are too many games and too much crap to sift through.

PSN and XBLA are in better positions and PSN is definitely in the strongest relative position; despite its atrocious new store interface and download speeds, it has a wide range of indie games that are all well-priced. As with most digital download stores it's impossible to get actual figures on anything so how successful anything in particular has been is impossible to say.

XBLA has the problem that developers are all competing for a tremendously limited number of release slots and can be bumped off for a favored publisher's title to be given a promotion. Additionally certification takes a comparatively long time, and patches require re-cert and it's on the developer/publisher to pay for the QA time required for the cert.

Nintendo is in a decent position to try for well-priced indie game releases with the newly revamped Nintendo Network and eShop, particularly given the policies Frozenbyte has commented on. It does remain to be seen if they can get people to the games to pay for them.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
What's the general opinion of ZombiU? Ratings make it sound like a pretty polarizing title.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

parasyte posted:

XBLA has the problem that developers are all competing for a tremendously limited number of release slots and can be bumped off for a favored publisher's title to be given a promotion. Additionally certification takes a comparatively long time, and patches require re-cert and it's on the developer/publisher to pay for the QA time required for the cert.

Policies are very easily changed if platform holders deem it beneficial to them. Microsoft and Sony haven't written any of them in stone.

So far we don't know how the approval process to get on the Wii U eShop works, Nintendo has a horrible track record in this regard. Their patching policies and pricing flexibility are seemingly much better, but that's the extent we know about so far.

Boten Anna posted:

There's more of them than there were Wiis and they're fairly scarce. Obviously they haven't drummed up Wii1 levels of excitement but there's a lot of curiosity surrounding it.

With retailers being in a race to the bottom on pre-order prices across Europe, I see the opposite of "curiosity". Plenty of US retailers seem to still have consoles available, according to reports on forums.

And the fact that Nintendo severely botched this launch so far will certainly turn off casual gamers the most.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 19, 2012

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
Getting off anger chat for a second, the store that I preordered from only got basic units in, so I'm gonna hit up the only other place in town that sells electronics, I don't have high hopes though, cause it a grocery store.

Edit: Nothing, guess I'm gonna have to trawl the online marketplace. Wish me luck.

Ageofbob fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 20, 2012

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

My house is not a large house by any means, but when I bought it I think they forgot to tell me I have loving lead lined walls. Tried some Mario in bed last night and it kept stuttering and freezing, not blaming in on the Wii cause my Nexus 7 also has a hard time picking up wifi signal in my bed.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
According to Neogaf, the RAM is a complete cockup, operating at something like 43% the speed of the current gen HD machines.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

parasyte posted:

It does remain to be seen if they can get people to the games to pay for them.

This is the Big If with my predictions. Nintendo is basically setting up a compelling platform to train people who don't buy games normally, or are loathe to spend $0.99 on their iphone, to spend $10-15 a pop on games. Whether or not they respond is basically the answer to the question of whether or not this will work.

Edit: and there's room for a disruptive app if someone comes up with a compelling breakaway hit that bridges an Android/iOS experience with the TV and U Pad. I hear Zynga is looking for something to do to save their own rear end, they should look into this one.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 20, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

netBuff posted:

Policies are very easily changed if platform holders deem it beneficial to them. Microsoft and Sony haven't written any of them in stone.
I don't know about Sony but Microsoft has pretty much told indie developers to go gently caress themselves, so there is a space for Nintendo to become The Indie Box of consoles with fair policies and developer-friendly concessions such as what Frozenbyte has talked about. (and not the OUYA because, lol, the OUYA is a loving fraud)

I mean all of the XBLA devs have basically fled the service and gone to Steam or PSN, and I'm too drat lazy to google it but I know I've read that XBLA games have made a lot more money on Steam, a lot faster. And XBLIG is basically dead dead dead dead dea dead.

Of course, it's easier to make money when you don't have to spend $50,000 every time you need to patch a game or add DLC.

We don't know of all of Nintendo's policies either but if they're willing to let developers set prices, sale percentages, and sale dates, then hopefully they've removed some of their odd draconian practices from WiiWare (filesize limits, not paying out until you sell a certain number of units, etc).

The benefit of this is if Nintendo does a good job of bringing the Steam/App Store ecosystem to consoles, then Microsoft is gonna have to catch up and also make concessions. So in that sense, it's not in stone, no. But you might not see changes from Microsoft until their next console.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 20, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Utnayan posted:

* Lack of DD/DTS. However as illustrated above, LPCM is better, however, some may not have access to newer receivers and rely on optical input/output with DD/DTS licensing.

My receiver is 11 years old and supports lpcm just fine. All I had to do was run an optical cable from a hdmi splitter. I wouldn't consider mine newer.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fatal posted:

Still though, Amazon botched my delivery of Mario (arrival of Wednesday) so I just bought it through the WiiU store. Can't beat that convenience.

I pre-ordered Mario with Amazon, and they always stated a Wednesday delivery of the game.

Gendo posted:

I have mixed emotions about digital delivery. The technology is neat and I love the idea of immediate availability without waiting for replication, but I also like owning physical media and I don't like giving up control.

As long as there's an option to purchase either way I suppose it doesn't matter.

The Wii to Wii U transfer really killed any motivation I had to buy games digitally on the Wii U. It just makes me feel they are going to drop the ball with the next console.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

bluegoon posted:

According to Neogaf, the RAM is a complete cockup, operating at something like 43% the speed of the current gen HD machines.

And the Nintendo Defense Force balked at me when I said this thing was going to have problems keeping up with the next gen systems.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

My receiver is 11 years old and supports lpcm just fine. All I had to do was run an optical cable from a hdmi splitter. I wouldn't consider mine newer.

This has been discussed ad nauseam pre-release: It is mainly a limitation for people using headphone system with Dolby Headphone (the Astro Mixamp, for example) as well as pre-built home theatre setups. With most modern HDMI AV receivers intended not for heapdhone use, but regular loudspeakers, surround & Wii U won't pose a problem.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't know about Sony but Microsoft has pretty much told indie developers to go gently caress themselves, so there is a space for Nintendo to become The Indie Box of consoles with fair policies and developer-friendly concessions such as what Frozenbyte has talked about. (and not the OUYA because, lol, the OUYA is a loving fraud)

I agree with you: Hopefully, Nintendo's policies will foster such an environment - current console download services are heavily hostile to many indies.

netBuff fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 20, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hobo Siege posted:

And the Nintendo Defense Force balked at me when I said this thing was going to have problems keeping up with the next gen systems.
The only point I've tried to make in comparing Wii U to next gen systems is that next gen engines, by nature of the fractured gaming marketplace, have to be extremely scaleable. Epic has played hardball with Unreal Engine 4, but it's going to scale to mobile phones and tablets, which means it can scale to Wii U.

Games on next gen systems absolutely can and will be ported to Wii U, and yes, they'll look degraded. But if there's still a financial incentive to doing it then they'll do it. Developers will get their game on as many platforms as possible.

So really it just comes down to people beating their chest over which version looks superior and who the gently caress cares. Framerate is the only thing I care about on that front. And these launch ports are rushed as gently caress and that's why I'm avoiding them.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Hobo Siege posted:

I do think that the ps4/720 will be a leap and a bound more powerful than the U, but I am not sure yet if that will matter as much as it did last generation. It very well might, don't get me wrong.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Does the YouTube app not work yet?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The app might not be ready yet but you should still be able to access Youtube over the web browser (I do this for iPad too since the official Youtube iPad app is loving terrible).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Youtube app is the Wii Mode thing, right? Ugh.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The only point I've tried to make in comparing Wii U to next gen systems is that next gen engines, by nature of the fractured gaming marketplace, have to be extremely scaleable. Epic has played hardball with Unreal Engine 4, but it's going to scale to mobile phones and tablets, which means it can scale to Wii U.

Games on next gen systems absolutely can and will be ported to Wii U, and yes, they'll look degraded. But if there's still a financial incentive to doing it then they'll do it. Developers will get their game on as many platforms as possible.

What makes you so absolutely sure? This heavily depends on how popular the Wii U is going to be in relation to the other next gen platforms. Down ports for PS3 and Xbox 360 are likely going to be developed in parallel for quite some time, but I'm not sure about the Wii Us future potential in this matter.

So really it just comes down to people beating their chest over which version looks superior and who the gently caress cares. Framerate is the only thing I care about on that front. And these launch ports are rushed as gently caress and that's why I'm avoiding them.

If you care about framerate on multiplatform games, why exactly do you think that next gen is just "people beating their chest"? Down ports for current generation platforms are most likely going to be worse in almost all departments.

And what makes you so sure that ALL third party Wii U games were rushed, and it absolutely isn't the consoles fault? We don't have any other indication on this consoles power, it is absolutely fair to judge launch games in relation to existing platforms.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

flyboi posted:

Optical only supports 2.1 LPCM. He was specifically talking about 5.1 LPCM I have to assume which only newer receivers would support as it is HDMI specific.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The app might not be ready yet but you should still be able to access Youtube over the web browser (I do this for iPad too since the official Youtube iPad app is loving terrible).

Plus the web version would let you watch videos flagged as age restriceted.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

You are 100% correct! The app said I needed to connect to the internet to use that app. Freaked me out that my WiFi was bugging out. Browser plays YouTube fullscreen fine.

And you have to quit to menu for the app. Browser can be used while the game is paused.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 20, 2012

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

The real question is, will there be a financial incentive in creating a WiiU port once things hit the stage where gimped 360/PS3 ports have been phased out?

In an environment where you're already creating 360/PS3 ports because there's still people on those platforms buying games, making a WiiU port is a no-brainer. Once the PS3 and 360 have largely gone to their graves and there isn't otherwise going to be an underpowered and gimped version of the game that can easily be ported from 360/PS3 to WiiU, will the system have the sort of software sales and install base that will command dedicated ports from the multiplatform publishers?

That's the biggest question, and if I were a betting man, I would bet that the answer is no.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Boten Anna posted:

I do think that the ps4/720 will be a leap and a bound more powerful than the U, but I am not sure yet if that will matter as much as it did last generation. It very well might, don't get me wrong.

My theory remains that even if the next consoles are more powerful, the parity between the regular version and the Wii U port will be a smaller leap than a 360/PS3 to Wii port.

Where as there you saw the stripping of full features and worse graphics, here I think you'll see something more like how 360 versions of games look compared to more powerful PC versions cranked to ultra. They'll be 1 to 1 feature wise, with added Wii U stuff, instead of some kind of weird knockoff stripped down port. And I think if the Wii U takes off like the Wii did, you'll see more of them, because the people doing the porting won't necessarily have to make huge compromises.

And yes, I know some of the current ports to Wii U are already kind of not great, but I'm assuming that people will have figured out how to port to the Wii U by then without having those issues. I hear AC3 is a competent port anyway, but maybe I'm wrong.

But maybe I'm full of poo poo, I don't know. It's a Nintendo console that plays Mario I'm basically satisfied as gently caress.

EDIT:

thefncrow posted:

The real question is, will there be a financial incentive in creating a WiiU port once things hit the stage where gimped 360/PS3 ports have been phased out?

In an environment where you're already creating 360/PS3 ports because there's still people on those platforms buying games, making a WiiU port is a no-brainer. Once the PS3 and 360 have largely gone to their graves and there isn't otherwise going to be an underpowered and gimped version of the game that can easily be ported from 360/PS3 to WiiU, will the system have the sort of software sales and install base that will command dedicated ports from the multiplatform publishers?

That's the biggest question, and if I were a betting man, I would bet that the answer is no.

It's like we had kind of opposite ideas at the same time hahaha.

At this point time will tell, I suppose.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So I was looking at Miiverse and I noticed the best little detail: If you end a Miiverse post in ellipses, the "YEAH!" button for that post becomes a "Yeah..." button, to better approximate what the Yeah signifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Epic has played hardball with Unreal Engine 4, but it's going to scale to mobile phones and tablets, which means it can scale to Wii U.

If things pan out the way they did with the Wii, that just isn't going to happen. There needs to be a significant audience ready and waiting to buy core titles before anyone goes through all the effort of making a severe downport. I worry that Nintendo may have shot themselves in the foot both in the short AND long terms this time.

• Locked thread