Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

flyboi posted:

So I'm to the part after the super market where you get bum rushed at the safe house and keep dying. If I keep picking off one or two at a time will they eventually stop or am I forever doomed at this point and should start over?

Yes you will eventually win the war of attrition, there will be one extra due to your shambling corpse, but there can only be one of those at a time. Just keep keepin on.

One tip: crawling zombis can be one-shot killed. Try and lead them to that crawl space, and smash them as they follow you through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

big mean giraffe posted:

Doesn't even have to be plugged in to one of those AFAIK, should work just fine without one.

True, I just mean more actually having a game system where not everyone has to sit in the back seat to play a game is uber cool.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
My TV is cutting off the edges of the screen, and there's no way for me to fix it by fiddling with the TV's settings. Apparently this is a common issue, is there any hope of Nintendo patching in a system-wide video output adjustment setting? Like the ones in Miiverse and the browser. (How the gently caress did Nintendo say "Yeah, we really need this, but only in some of our software."?)

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

DarkHamsterlord posted:

My TV is cutting off the edges of the screen, and there's no way for me to fix it by fiddling with the TV's settings. Apparently this is a common issue, is there any hope of Nintendo patching in a system-wide video output adjustment setting? Like the ones in Miiverse and the browser. (How the gently caress did Nintendo say "Yeah, we really need this, but only in some of our software."?)

It more than likely is you TV's settings. Somewhere in your settings you should be able to switch the view mode to Naive rather than full screen or widescreen.

It's dumb that there isn't a solution in the OS, but again - you should be able to manage it on your TV.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Just tried one at my job today. The controller is one of the most comfy ones I've held and the extra screen on it is kinda neat, but ultimately pointless. However, the game it was playing was that Mario game they've remade 100 times already.

All and all though, it's not worth 360-410$ (The price of the consoles + a game), i feel. The few games i Might want for it can be found elsewhere for cheaper, and the rest ranges from mediocre to shovelware to... Nintendoland.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

There's never been a universal overscan option in any of the consoles. You just have to hope games think to include adjustment sliders. A few of the titles Giantbomb showed off in their steam did have them.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

citizenlowell posted:

It more than likely is you TV's settings. Somewhere in your settings you should be able to switch the view mode to Naive rather than full screen or widescreen.

It's dumb that there isn't a solution in the OS, but again - you should be able to manage it on your TV.

No, my TV is a piece of poo poo. My display settings are Full, Zoom, Cinema, Side-Cut and Expand. Full clips the edges off, and all the other ones cut off absurd amounts of the screen whether I'm using the Wii U or not. If I dig through the settings menu instead of just hitting the Display button, all of my options are related to color, contrast, and brightness.

There is no way for me to fix this without buying a new TV.

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's never been a universal overscan option in any of the consoles. You just have to hope games think to include adjustment sliders. A few of the titles Giantbomb showed off in their steam did have them.

Has overscan ever been such a widespread problem with other consoles? My 360, PS3, and Wii all look fine on my TV, and I've never seen anyone complaining about it for those consoles, but I'm seeing a surprising number of people with the same issue with the Wii U.

I really don't understand how I manage to lose so much of the Wii U's display on my TV but I've never had the problem before with any other console.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Has overscan ever been such a widespread problem with other consoles? My 360, PS3, and Wii all look fine on my TV, and I've never seen anyone complaining about it for those consoles, but I'm seeing a surprising number of people with the same issue with the Wii U.

I really don't understand how I manage to lose so much of the Wii U's display on my TV but I've never had the problem before with any other console.

You've been missing the edges of your images this whole time. The Wii being the first console in six years they may be expecting people to be using newer screens and have dropped the safe area idea for UI.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 21, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Teenage Fansub posted:

You've been missing the edges of your images this whole time. The Wii being the first console in six years they may be expecting people to be using newer screens and have dropped the safe area idea for UI.

Well this blows. A system-wide adjustment feature probably isn't realistic, but do you think Nintendo might at least patch in the option to adjust the home screens?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The thing is: How could you ever notice with any other consoles? You have no second screen as reference point, after all. On the WiiU you do, and so many people are noticing this problem for the first time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wasper posted:

Just tried one at my job today. The controller is one of the most comfy ones I've held and the extra screen on it is kinda neat, but ultimately pointless. However, the game it was playing was that Mario game they've remade 100 times already.

All and all though, it's not worth 360-410$ (The price of the consoles + a game), i feel. The few games i Might want for it can be found elsewhere for cheaper, and the rest ranges from mediocre to shovelware to... Nintendoland.
Don't feel pressured into buying one! Sometimes the best time to buy a console is the following summer after the "post-launch" batch of titles have also come out and created a more overall rounded library to choose from.

But also don't denigrate Nintendoland because it's really great and I was a fuckin chump for making fun of it at E3!! Anyone who thinks it is bad is a chump!!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

flyboi posted:

Are you just supposed to die a fuckton in ZombiU? Because that's what I do. I die.

It's a roguelike, not an actiony-shooter like L4D. Making progress, dying, and finding the loot off your last failure is part of the experience.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chronojam posted:

It's a roguelike, not an actiony-shooter like L4D. Making progress, dying, and finding the loot off your last failure is part of the experience.

Problem is I died getting my loot so I lost all my loot :saddowns:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The thing is: How could you ever notice with any other consoles? You have no second screen as reference point, after all. On the WiiU you do, and so many people are noticing this problem for the first time.

I'm sure I have had some of the picture cut off all this time, but the Wii U is the only console I own that places UI stuff like buttons close enough to the edge so that it's immediately noticeable even without the second screen.

This is an approximation of what I see (I manually cropped a screenshot I found online)

I think even without a second screen as a reference point, I would notice that button in the lower-right is missing a chunk.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Underwhelmed posted:

Yes you will eventually win the war of attrition, there will be one extra due to your shambling corpse, but there can only be one of those at a time. Just keep keepin on.

One tip: crawling zombis can be one-shot killed. Try and lead them to that crawl space, and smash them as they follow you through.

Another tip: Try to get them to climb over half walls (I think there's one office where the windows are busted out and they have to crawl over to get to you) and while they're bent over club em', almost always knocks em' to the ground with a chance to one shot em'.

flyboi posted:

Problem is I died getting my loot so I lost all my loot :saddowns:

Tip: Add CommissarKen because although I don't always die, when I do it's always with the finest of loots that you can pick off my zombie corpse. Can't count how many times i've lost that carbine and now i've just got a fancy shotgun to lose!

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Commissar Ken posted:

Tip: Add CommissarKen because although I don't always die, when I do it's always with the finest of loots that you can pick off my zombie corpse. Can't count how many times i've lost that carbine and now i've just got a fancy shotgun to lose!

Not all your loot gets left*. Weapons seem pretty hit or miss actually. I have mercy killed several highish score dead players and not one of them had a gun on them. Lots of first aid kits though.

*At least it doesn't seem that way, maybe the chumps I have been stumbling on just didn't have jack poo poo when they died.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 21, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I'm sure I have had some of the picture cut off all this time, but the Wii U is the only console I own that places UI stuff like buttons close enough to the edge so that it's immediately noticeable even without the second screen.

This is an approximation of what I see (I manually cropped a screenshot I found online)

I think even without a second screen as a reference point, I would notice that button in the lower-right is missing a chunk.

It's no good solution, but do you have a HDMI or DVI computer monitor? If you use one you'd definitely see the entire picture.

e: But then if it doesn't pass through audio, there's another problem.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Wasper posted:

Hey look at this fool who doesn't know that the New Super Mario Bros series are all different games (of varying quality).

(Seriously, don't let anyone pressure you into buying a system you don't want yet, but at least do some research so you don't make stupid posts.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently Hulu Plus has gone live in the US?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That would explain why the MiiVerse suddenly has a page for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Diametunim posted:

Wii u purchase, instantly worth it. I'm posting this from my phone so I pray I don't break the tables. Even if I do the probation will be worth it for this.

E: auto correct sucks.

Christ, this is a brilliant idea. I need to get one of those AC->car cigarette power thingies before my Christmas road trip.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
gently caress those Mario games that are the same game every time. Anyway, anyone want to play Mega Man 1-6 with me?

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The update is now live. Downloading it as I type.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Someone needs to Video Chat with me, because I think that poo poo will end up being pretty revolutionary, especially with the "Grandma who doesn't know how to Skype" set, and I want to try it out.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Initially, I must admit I was sort of disappointed that the lack of an achievement system for the Wii U, I must admit that it's sort of refreshing. Sure, cheevos can be alot of fun and can be useful to track your gameprogress. But at the same time I get very OCD about them, and usually never finish up on them. They end up feeling like a chore alot of the time, to be honest. That the system doesn't have it will just make it more focused on playing and enjoying the ride instead of tallying up some numbers.

I haven't bought the console yet, though. But I might some time after Christmas, and when Nintendo has fixed that awful, awful decision of having accounts bound to the console. I mean, seriously, what the gently caress.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
That Wii bundle with Mario that I bought yesterday morning, that I then asked to be cancelled when I got home from work in the afternoon, has been shipped. Ehh, I just don't know what to do. I can ship it back and return it. Now that it's on its way (it'll be here as early as Friday), I'm not sure if I will.

My thinking as far as cancelling the order was that, beyond NSMBU, there most likely wouldn't be a game I'd want to buy in the next six months, at least. My PC is my main gaming system now, and anything that doesn't cover, my 360 would. I just bought AC3 off Steam (been playing it like six hours straight today, and about to put in more time after this post), and I'll probably get Scribblenauts on Steam too. Beyond that are the concerns that the Wii U might not be getting good ports right now. (I do recognize that this will be a temporary issue, I believe.)

I could use some advice. What would you do in my shoes? What of your experience with the system could tell me if I should jump in now, or wait later?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I never got into achievements, but I never had a 360. I alway liked the PS3 Trophy system because all you could pretty much do is compare your game to another persons game, so you could say "oh, they have 40% of the trophies and I have 75%!" which was kind of neat to see how much you're friends play some games.

The Wii U already has that sort of going on with Nintendo Land and how you can what medals everyone has. That's kind of cool.

Also, was pleasantly surprised today to see the WaraWara Plaza filled up with actual Miis saying fun things from actual people instead of the default system preference stuff. It's really cool!

Fuckstick McNally
Feb 22, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If I use my computer monitor with hdmi, will any old usb headphones work? Or does it have to be the smaller jack in the tablet? Just looking for sound output I don't care about having a working mic.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey getting the privileged to draw Bowser and Mario getting married because I did a no damage run in a level beats any achievement/trophy/bragging rights.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Awesome, my Miiverse name is against the code of conduct.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

shoplifter posted:

Awesome, my Miiverse name is against the code of conduct.

Same as your SA name in that case I would have to assume?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Holy poo poo. ZombiU's dumb name is almost justified.
There was a game called Zombi also from Ubisoft released in the 80's

http://www.giantbomb.com/zombi/61-18449/

japtor posted:

That was pointed out months ago :ssh:

I heard about it for the first time on today's Giantbombcast.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 21, 2012

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

insidius posted:

Same as your SA name in that case I would have to assume?

yup. apparently i'm advocating crime or some nonsense. sure was fine for my club nintendo account though!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Revol posted:

That Wii bundle with Mario that I bought yesterday morning, that I then asked to be cancelled when I got home from work in the afternoon, has been shipped. Ehh, I just don't know what to do. I can ship it back and return it. Now that it's on its way (it'll be here as early as Friday), I'm not sure if I will.

My thinking as far as cancelling the order was that, beyond NSMBU, there most likely wouldn't be a game I'd want to buy in the next six months, at least. My PC is my main gaming system now, and anything that doesn't cover, my 360 would. I just bought AC3 off Steam (been playing it like six hours straight today, and about to put in more time after this post), and I'll probably get Scribblenauts on Steam too. Beyond that are the concerns that the Wii U might not be getting good ports right now. (I do recognize that this will be a temporary issue, I believe.)

I could use some advice. What would you do in my shoes? What of your experience with the system could tell me if I should jump in now, or wait later?

You should have zero issues selling it for face value if you want to make someone's holiday season. Or you could probably mark it up $100 and still make out pretty drat well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Revol posted:

Sell it for profit? efb :argh:

Teenage Fansub posted:

That was pointed out months ago :ssh:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Teenage Fansub posted:

It was their first game too.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

shoplifter posted:

yup. apparently i'm advocating crime or some nonsense. sure was fine for my club nintendo account though!

As crushed as you probably are it's kind of awesome that Nintendo isn't letting anything fly. I very much appreciate that they're trying to make Miiverse the exact opposite of XBox Live.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Eh, the code of conduct is pretty vague. I really don't have a huge issue with it as long as they're clear in how they're dealing with things. I just suspect that they won't be, and everything is going to be judgement calls unless it's in clear violation.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I've been on the other side of things, and really you just can't let yourself be rules lawyered to death when you're moderating large, unruly communities. There will always be assholes trying to waste your time just by arguing, or finding loopholes to try and get away with things. As long as they're mostly just issuing temporary bans on using the social features at the worst and aren't locking out game access except very rarely in the most egregious cases, I think the heavy hand is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I think people should worry less about their dumb kids hearing naughty words.

• Locked thread