Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Just walked into Target in downtown Seattle, bought a deluxe and walked out. They had 20+ deluxe and 30+ basic in stock.

Will I regret this? Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Legdiian posted:

Am I the only one that is holding out for a deluxe because it's black?

No, I want one because I intend to download games!

Robolizard! posted:

I wish I could have gotten a white deluxe to be honest. This glossy plastic is killing me w/r/t dust and fingerprints

Yeah, plus I already own a thousand black glossy things that attract dust like they were designed to do so.

treiz01 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 21, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Legdiian posted:

I wish I could have gotten a white deluxe to be honest. This glossy plastic is killing me w/r/t dust and fingerprints

sp00nman
May 14, 2004

All this Christmas spirit is gives me a raging boner!

Legdiian posted:

Anyone order a Wii U post launch date from Bestbuy.com? Wondering what the wait times are.

E - Oh it doesn't even let you add it to the cart.

Best buy stock checker shows most locations have them right now (they did not earlier today):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&skuId=6775792&searchpage=true&_requestid=39528

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Legdiian posted:

I got the Basic because it's white (Almost everything I own is black. It's nice to have a little white to stick out) and I didn't care about getting Nintendoland. Unfortunately this means I'll have to buy the stand stuff separately. My Wii U doesn't look right laying down.

I lose out on the downloading discount but I'm not bothering with downloading anything until I get myself an external which won't be until Boxing Day.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
On Giant Bomb right now, Jeff is live streaming Funky Barn. He was just showing off the Miiverse page for it a moment ago.

http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rirse posted:

On Giant Bomb right now, Jeff is live streaming Funky Barn. He was just showing off the Miiverse page for it a moment ago.

http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

"Animals love this loving tree!"

So basically, Funky Barn is a Farmville on Wii U?

EDIT: Okay the Wii U admin went too far. I drew a picture of George Clinton that said "GEORGE CLINTON APPROVED!" due to someone talking about Funky Farm and they deleted it!

They better not delete my picture of John Travolta to my friend! :argh:

Double EDIT: I guess I can't draw someones likeness. That sucks. Oh well, rules are rules.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 21, 2012

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Is there a list what's all going to be on the eShop? I went through the website but I missed it if it's there. Will it have some of the classic games?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Harry posted:

Is there a list what's all going to be on the eShop? I went through the website but I missed it if it's there. Will it have some of the classic games?

Right now it's bare bones games you can buy with listings of Wii U games not available to buy and 3DS stuff you can't buy because it's Wii U. I haven't heard anything yet on Virtual Console talk.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I got Darksiders 2 and I'm just starting, but apparently it includes some weapon/armor DLC and I'm wondering how/when can I access it?

EDIT: Also I read that if I install an external hard drive to my Wii U I can no longer use it on my computer. Is this true? If so, can I just use any type of external hard drive or USB thumb memory drive?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Right now it's bare bones games you can buy with listings of Wii U games not available to buy and 3DS stuff you can't buy because it's Wii U. I haven't heard anything yet on Virtual Console talk.

That's a bummer. You could get older games on the Wii couldn't you?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Has anything been said about what they're doing to the eShop right now? The message says maintenance and that details are on Nintendo's home page. There aren't details there. Blogs and twitter are no help.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Calaveron posted:

Seriously. Or at least let us take screenshots of the gamepad's screen. Some of the artists on display are absolutely fantastical and it boggles the mind what they can do with a little capacitive touchscreen.

They would be fools to not release the next Art Academy for the Wii U and 3DS both.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chronojam posted:

They would be fools to not release the next Art Academy for the Wii U and 3DS both.

Totally. I want some form of Swapnote on this as well.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Harry posted:

That's a bummer. You could get older games on the Wii couldn't you?

You still can. All that stuff is in the Wii Shop still (accessible via Wii Mode) and still can be purchased, but you have to enter Wii Mode before you can play any of that stuff.

Nintendo's mentioned Wii U Virtual Console stuff in passing at times, but they haven't actually committed to releasing any particular games like that so far.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Calaveron posted:

I got Darksiders 2 and I'm just starting, but apparently it includes some weapon/armor DLC and I'm wondering how/when can I access it?

EDIT: Also I read that if I install an external hard drive to my Wii U I can no longer use it on my computer. Is this true? If so, can I just use any type of external hard drive or USB thumb memory drive?

You can get the DLC armor/weapons almost immediately, as soon as you have access to a Serpent tome, which is less than an hour into the game.

Also, yes to the latter question, but you're probably not going to want to use a thumb drive unless you're strictly using it for saves or other small stuff.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Played NSMBU and Little Inferno both on the GamePad with headphones plugged in while in bed last night. System rocks and I can't wait for more games that allow gamepad only play.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

FPzero posted:

Played NSMBU and Little Inferno both on the GamePad with headphones plugged in while in bed last night. System rocks and I can't wait for more games that allow gamepad only play.

I wonder if Nintendo looked into how many people like myself who barely play handhelds outside of their home but love the experience of playing a handheld.

I doubt I'm the only one.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

FPzero posted:

It's like the Gameboy all over again.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

thefncrow posted:

You still can. All that stuff is in the Wii Shop still (accessible via Wii Mode) and still can be purchased, but you have to enter Wii Mode before you can play any of that stuff.

Nintendo's mentioned Wii U Virtual Console stuff in passing at times, but they haven't actually committed to releasing any particular games like that so far.

Don't some of those require the non-nunchuck controller though? How would those work?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Smuckles posted:

Has anything been said about what they're doing to the eShop right now? The message says maintenance and that details are on Nintendo's home page. There aren't details there. Blogs and twitter are no help.

My insider info from secret uncle says its to add Virtual On HD and Fire Emblem complete collection!
I want to know what secret thing wii u is getting this year that Duke Reggies been talkin 'bout.

also,
dear nintendo,
toss a xenoblade port on the eshop.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Th... there's..

there's a third level in Donkey Kong Crash Course :negative:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Junkie Disease posted:

My insider info from secret uncle says its to add Virtual On HD and Fire Emblem complete collection!
I want to know what secret thing wii u is getting this year that Duke Reggies been talkin 'bout.

also,
dear nintendo,
toss a xenoblade port on the eshop.

Come on now, making the devs redo the textures in HD is just mean.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Harry posted:

Don't some of those require the non-nunchuck controller though? How would those work?

You mean the classic controller? You just plug in the classic controller.

"Wii Mode" is basically just using a Wii, albeit one of those stripped-down Wiis they started selling last year where they pulled out the GC ports and backwards compatibility. WiiU controllers (gamepad and pro controller) don't work, but Wii stuff all does.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLRdP9oOfw

Behold the future of console gaming.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Harry posted:

If you used a Gamecube controller for those VC games before, you'd have to pick up a Classic now, but it's not necessarily a waste of money; it's cheaper than a Pro Controller, and some Wii U games will still let you use it. Could help you cover a group for Sonic Racing or the eventual SSB game.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 21, 2012

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Little dog wrestling with the Wiimote to Viridi's theme is my favorite thing now. :allears:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry for the stupid question but I might be getting a Wii U and I'm excited like a 10 year old. How much real 1080p is the console dishing out so far? I'm hoping all the menus, art, and streaming are nice and crisp.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
First-world problem: I'm not a fan of having so many controllers.

- Wii Remote
- Nunchuck
- Classic Controller
- Pro Controller
- GamePad

No controller works everywhere. I have to set down one, pick up another, plug in something, unplug something.

I can turn on the system and load a game with the Wiimote, but I still have to set it down to turn the screen of the GamePad off. Plus, depending on what I loaded, it may shut off the Wiimote and force me to use only the GamePad (such as Netflix).
I was playing New Super Mario Bros. U, and my daughter wanted to play. She picked up a Wiimote, I was using the GamePad. Bzzz! That doesn't work. Even though it works in one player mode, the GamePad cannot be used in the regular 2 player mode. I had to set it down and get another Wiimote. Of course, I then had to turn the screen back off on the GamePad (because it sits there with no one touching it, mirroring everything on TV). I have to keep a small table in front of me with all the controllers & attachments so I can switch back and forth, depending on game.

I have 14 controllers and attachments for my Wii & Wii U now, plus all the controllers, attachments, memory cards, etc for my PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, NES, and SNES. I've pulled the NES & SNES to make room when I got the Wii U, and may pull the PS2. Maybe (I still enjoy 4-player Amplitude when friends are over).
My PSX, Dreamcast, N64, and Atari stuff have been packed away for a long time.

How do people deal with so many systems and controllers? My TV at least has 8 inputs, so I can at least leave everything plugged in.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I really hope in the future just merge the Wii Mode into the regular mode. I mean if you can use a Wii Mote with the Gamepad, then why deny using it on Wii games?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rirse posted:

I really hope in the future just merge the Wii Mode into the regular mode. I mean if you can use a Wii Mote with the Gamepad, then why deny using it on Wii games?

It's because Nintendo runs the Wii games on a separate chipset. When you boot up the Wii Mode you are playing on an actual Wii in the Wii U and not through the Wii U system.

If Nintendo went how you would want it, there would likely be tons of issues where you would need a patch pretty much on every game you could play for it and there'd likely be lots of games you couldn't get support. So instead, Nintendo just tossed a Wii inside of the Wii U and called it a day.

What this will actually do is open the market for the HD remakes for the Wii U of Wii games that allow proper Wii control plus HD updated graphics with a brand new price tag.

It's inevitable.

Good Party Dad
May 10, 2006
Me fail english, thats unpossible!
How is blackops on this? Planning on picking up a deluxe at target and buying scribblenauts. I was thinking about picking up ZombiU and Blackops as well since target has the buy 2 get one 50% of promotion...

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Emulation is a fickle thing. You'd think it's just a matter of running the software, but the architecture can differ quite nicely.

How is the internet connection working out for everyone? I'm gonna assume connecting doesn't take as long as it used to on the Wii, but how's the latency and stability?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

I was just going to look it up but they locked up the catalogue for a month because they're migrating it, I guess to coincide with the WiiU launch. However, last time I checked a week ago, the SNES Controller, Game&Watch replica, DS game, Mario Galaxy soundtrack, Animal Crossing Soundtrack (actually ordered that one) were all available. I ordered 2 of the SNES controllers last year so they've been in stock for a while.

Those SNES replica controllers have the superior coloured buttons, right? Tempted to make you an offer for one, but knowing my luck they'll add them to the Aussie catalogue the moment I do, and I have a million stars to burn...

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Called the local target, dude said they got a few new ones, asked him if he could hold it. Said he wasn't allowed to. Fastest and hardest I've driven my new car since I bought it.

Setup comes after work :D

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's been two days now and I still can't get over the fact I'm playing a Mario game in HD :psyduck:
God, I'm so eager to see what their Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, and other franchises are like in HD.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Calaveron posted:

It's been two days now and I still can't get over the fact I'm playing a Mario game in HD :psyduck:
God, I'm so eager to see what their Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, and other franchises are like in HD.

And you just know we're gonna get a Shin Onigashima U next.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Th... there's..

there's a third level in Donkey Kong Crash Course :negative:

There's.....
more than one? T______T

edit: Also, I just found out how to link a Wii U to Club Nintendo. Yay for it being on their front page. https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do;jsessionid=707441B67B06CADF6589FA8E9D8E1067

shadowobsessed fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 22, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Gendo posted:

At a store that may have a pro but definitely has a basic. They're scouring for me right now but I'm tempted to just go with a basic if they don't have the higher model.

I haven't caught up with the thread to see if you did this, but I had to do the same thing. I would have liked to get the eShop promotion, but the other stuff didn't seem like a big deal to me. If you do a lot of digital purchases you're going to need an external harddrive regardless of what model you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
New Club Nintendo code!

RVF6ZCSJN5SPMN94

I noticed that in a lot of my DS-games, the slip with the PIN-code is missing. Is that normal? Am I missing something here?

These questions are probably some really basic questions, but you'll have to excuse me. I just never bothered with this stuff.

• Locked thread