Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

When you play it again, Pauline is missing. after you complete the level, an exit will open up, taking you to a blue level that is even harder.

Apparently there is a third level too, but I haven't been able to clear level 2 yet.

Yeah, I did get the "somethings wrong here message." But then the level was the same so I played metroid or something.

Metroid is fun to play while others watch TV. Though I look silly tilting around like a jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Smuckles posted:

Has anyone played Trine 2 on the Wii U? Information, at least that I can find, seems lacking. I'm thinking about getting it for the console, but Steam has a pretty nice sale on it at the moment.

If it's fun on the Wii U and my girlfriend and I can play it together with minimal headaches, I'd spend the extra money.

I didn't see anyone reply so sorry if I am late but Trine 2 is amazing. The graphics are one of the few times in the past 10 years I've been amazed at how it looks; and the game manages to look just as incredible on the controller.

It's very fun, too.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I didn't see anyone reply so sorry if I am late but Trine 2 is amazing. The graphics are one of the few times in the past 10 years I've been amazed at how it looks; and the game manages to look just as incredible on the controller.

It's very fun, too.

If I didn't already have it on the PC, it would have been a day one purchase for me. People who say Rayman Origins is the best looking platformer have apparently never seen Trine 2.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Rawrbomb posted:

I suspect it has more to do with not being familiar with the system than it does with the system being slower. People have had AGES to figure out every little last trick to get the performance out of the 360 (and a bit less time for the PS3). Rushed deadlines don't help anything either.

Eh, not really. The CPU is slower and the memory bandwith is low - there's plenty of legit info on that out there. The 360's CPU is actually quite fast; nintendo just cheaped out on components like they did with the wii. It's also quite likely that they were planning on something faster, then saw how much touchscreens cost. It's extremely short sighted of them since they'll be a generation behind yet again as soon as sony and microsoft release their new machines.

I've heard conflicting things on which GPU is in the wiiu (r600 series vs r700), but it's faster than the 360 and definitely better than the ps3. Hopefully it's the r700 series because it's significantly better than the previous generation.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Spite posted:

It's extremely short sighted of them since they'll be a generation behind yet again as soon as sony and microsoft release their new machines.

Even if the doomsayers are correct, it still won't be as bad as the Wii was. Didn't the Wii have something absurd like a 2MB frame buffer? Regardless, it was on the wrong side of the HD divide. I expect the gap between the Wii U and the other next gens will be closer to PS2 vs XBOX than Wii vs 360.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Jeff was loving hyped about that game. Pretty much sold me a copy.

vv Ubisoft loves the Wii U so I think we'll see plenty of shovelware from them.

I hope we get a Heroes of Might and Magic U the touchpad would help greatly in controlling it.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Q_res posted:

Even if the doomsayers are correct, it still won't be as bad as the Wii was. Didn't the Wii have something absurd like a 2MB frame buffer? Regardless, it was on the wrong side of the HD divide. I expect the gap between the Wii U and the other next gens will be closer to PS2 vs XBOX than Wii vs 360.

We have no way of knowing how the Wii U will fare against the new consoles until we get more information about them. It could be the difference between an Xbox and a PS2 like you said, or it could be the difference between the Dreamcast and the Xbox. Time will tell. Nintendo knows their business better than I do, but speaking for myself, I would have had no problem shelling out another $100 to get better quality components in my system.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So, Little Inferno is a great game and it's made perfect with the use of the Gamepad. I didn't know what to expect going into it but it has a surprising amount of depth for a game about burning things in a fireplace. Certain aspects remind me of little F2P games for your phone, like the wait for items to arrive and the simple touchscreen nature. Overall it's very relaxing and fun and even manages to have a couple of surprises in it.

Speaking of indie games, does anyone have any opinions on Mighty Switch Force? I watched the video for it on eShop and it looked pretty enjoyable. Also, does it run Gamepad only?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Almost Smart posted:

We have no way of knowing how the Wii U will fare against the new consoles until we get more information about them. It could be the difference between an Xbox and a PS2 like you said, or it could be the difference between the Dreamcast and the Xbox. Time will tell. Nintendo knows their business better than I do, but speaking for myself, I would have had no problem shelling out another $100 to get better quality components in my system.

Let's be honest, though, $299 is already pretty pricey for the crowd that could give 2 shits about whether Epic is porting UE4 to the WiiU. For the guys that do, they're pretty likely (like me) to pick up a U for the first party/exclusives and a 720 for everything else.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FPzero posted:

Speaking of indie games, does anyone have any opinions on Mighty Switch Force? I watched the video for it on eShop and it looked pretty enjoyable. Also, does it run Gamepad only?

Yeah, you can run it completely on the gamepad. It's pretty fun. It's a puzzle platformer. You switch different blocks on and off to get to different places to grab the prisoners. It's very basic, but kind of addicting. I'm not very far, but it gets intricate.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Even if the cpu sucks, it's really a less important component than several others. It's far more likely that these developers are not putting proper effort into optimizing their code.

That said, what CPUs are good at is covering for features that lack dedicated hardware or don't quite exist on the existing chipsets. If Sony and/or MS have some crazy "must have" next gen feature like that, it could be bad news for the U. I don't think there really will be though.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Spite posted:

It's extremely short sighted of them since they'll be a generation behind yet again as soon as sony and microsoft release their new machines.

That's the entire point of their strategy. Nintendo already has its market of fans and wants to one-up current generation consoles by adding a bunch of stuff on top, hopefully steal some sales during the couple years the other consoles have left and then just settle back with its usual audience.

Buying a WiiU ain't really buying a new gen console, it's more like a competitor to the 360 and ps3.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Apparently, you can play Assassin's Creed 3 in 3D on the Gamepad. I wonder if this feature will gain popularity. Anyone here tried it out yet?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Det_no posted:

Buying a WiiU ain't really buying a new gen console, it's more like a competitor to the 360 and ps3.

Yep. It's gonna be the best, brightest and newest for a year or two. Then it will be the cheapest and quirkiest (Nintendoest?).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Universe Master posted:

Yep. It's gonna be the best, brightest and newest for a year or two. Then it will be the cheapest and quirkiest (Nintendoest?).

Nintendo's strategy probably involves attracting third parties, impressing them with gargantuan sales, and having all AAA third party titles catered to the Wii U.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So, I am trying to get some club Nintendo coins, and I just hit Gold status. I got the Deluxe Wii U and registered it, but I couldn't find a registration code in my Nintendoland box. Is it supposed to have one? :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waffleopolis posted:

So, I am trying to get some club Nintendo coins, and I just hit Gold status. I got the Deluxe Wii U and registered it, but I couldn't find a registration code in my Nintendoland box. Is it supposed to have one? :(

They said they'd be putting up a survey for the bundled copies of Nintendo Land in a week or so, off the top of my head.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Got a surprise a few days ago from GameStop. Signed up for the console wait list, in hopes of getting it in late December at the earliest but I got my deluxe set for my thanksgiving break. Enjoying the heck out of miiverse and Mario bros and can't wait to see what else this console will be able to do. Sadly because I got it so early my funds were not prepared so no Black Friday shopping. Oh well not like I need it anymore :unsmith:

Anyone check out the shop yet? Anything good there so far?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Waffleopolis posted:

No because if you register the deluxe console it's implied that you also got Nintendo Land.

Regarding the next gen debate, as long as the system doesn't have to miss out on prominent multi platform titles or get gimped versions of them I'll be satisfied. I'm just hoping it's lack of analogue triggers doesn't stop it from getting a GTAV port.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Waffleopolis posted:

I don't remember where I heard this, or how accurate the info is, but I heard that when the Nintendo Land surveys go up, they will be worth 50 points for the deluxe owners who registered their consoles.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm just hoping it's lack of analogue triggers doesn't stop it from getting a GTAV port.

Personally, I'd prefer a Wii U Bully 2 exclusive over a GTAV port any day.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Universe Master posted:

I think we're approaching the threshold where prowess becomes less and less of an issue because there's less and less room of visible improvement. Graphical capabilities were integral for the first 3 Nintendo-generations, but that's because it was vital to display and allow vital parts of the core game design. Anything above that is mostly just decoration. Sure, there are several games that make use of processing power that just wasn't there 10 years ago, but these games are the minority. And while prettier graphics can help with the immersion, poor graphics don't break the illusion nearly as bad as poor gameplay. Also, prettier graphics aren't (usually) relevant for game design. If you want to incorporate a certain mechanic, in 90% of all cases, the graphical prowess has been around for at least 2 generations.

While yes, the PS4 and 720 will have superior hardware, it won't be as much of a difference as it was between the PS3 and the Wii. What will (or should, at least) matter is accessibility, customization and variety of the console. The Wii U has that in spades, and considering Sony still insists on using an almost 20 year-old controller, they better step up their game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

horriblePencilist posted:

I think we're approaching the threshold where prowess becomes less and less of an issue because there's less and less room of visible improvement. Graphical capabilities were integral for the first 3 Nintendo-generations, but that's because it was vital to display and allow vital parts of the core game design. Anything above that is mostly just decoration. Sure, there are several games that make use of processing power that just wasn't there 10 years ago, but these games are the minority. And while prettier graphics can help with the immersion, poor graphics don't break the illusion nearly as bad as poor gameplay. Also, prettier graphics aren't (usually) relevant for game design. If you want to incorporate a certain mechanic, in 90% of all cases, the graphical prowess has been around for at least 2 generations.

While yes, the PS4 and 720 will have superior hardware, it won't be as much of a difference as it was between the PS3 and the Wii. What will (or should, at least) matter is accessibility, customization and variety of the console. The Wii U has that in spades, and considering Sony still insists on using an almost 20 year-old controller, they better step up their game.

It's not just prettier graphics, but more processing power. It's like the difference between Dead Rising and Dead Rising: Chop 'Til You Drop. The Wii U, PS4, and 720 could have comparable graphics, but the other consoles can render 400 mans to shoot while the Wii U can only handle 100 at a time.

EDIT: Which is why Nintendo needs to bend over backwards and spread apart with both hands to attract as many third parties as possible.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 23, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

I think you're right for the most part, and I think art design can overcome graphical limitations in a lot of cases (and non-AAA developers, plus Nintendo, seem to be the best at doing this generally). The leap to HD was critical for Nintendo, because less than 720p just doesn't look very good no matter what on modern TVs IMO.

I do think the problem with some recent games on 360 and PS3 has been the developers pushing too hard and trying to do too much, which kills framerate or introduces bad glitches/clipping, and that definitely does detract from the experience (where slightly less impressive graphics might not).

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Every single generation people say graphics have "peaked" and every time it seems ridiculous in hindsight.

More processing power also means more than more shaders. Animation systems like in the Assassin's Creed games weren't possible on previous consoles. Same with all the Euphoria stuff Rockstar puts in their games. It'll still be quite a while before consumer computers can do anything a designer could think of at 30fps.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

No because if you register the deluxe console it's implied that you also got Nintendo Land.

Regarding the next gen debate, as long as the system doesn't have to miss out on prominent multi platform titles or get gimped versions of them I'll be satisfied. I'm just hoping it's lack of analogue triggers doesn't stop it from getting a GTAV port.

I'm going to be honest here, what games actually USE the analogue triggers, besides just the simple button press? I Really cannot remember a function in any game where that occurred.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
If anything, Nintendo has already proven thrice over (3DS, DS, Wii) that graphical output isn't indicative of how well the console will thrive in the market. In the end the software will determine the success of a console, just like it always has.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

I'm going to be honest here, what games actually USE the analogue triggers, besides just the simple button press? I Really cannot remember a function in any game where that occurred.

Driving games

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

Racing/driving games do for sure.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Louisgod posted:

If anything, Nintendo has already proven thrice over (3DS, DS, Wii) that graphical output isn't indicative of how well the console will thrive in the market. In the end the software will determine the success of a console, just like it always has.

wait, jetski is more fun than a speedboat?

also, just got done playing 3 player nintendoland games with two non gamers.
Nintendo is full of geniuses. A stupid amount of fun was had and a minimal amount of time was wasted learning the games, bravo nintendo!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Flumpus posted:

I think you're right for the most part, and I think art design can overcome graphical limitations in a lot of cases (and non-AAA developers, plus Nintendo, seem to be the best at doing this generally). The leap to HD was critical for Nintendo, because less than 720p just doesn't look very good no matter what on modern TVs IMO.

I do think the problem with some recent games on 360 and PS3 has been the developers pushing too hard and trying to do too much, which kills framerate or introduces bad glitches/clipping, and that definitely does detract from the experience (where slightly less impressive graphics might not).

One major problem HD graphics introduce is the sheer amount of additional work that gets stacked with superior graphical power. More detailed models, sharper textures and smoother animation all suddenly become an issue when dealing with more advanced hardware. It's getting increasingly harder and harder to find a game that can strike a remarkable balance between art direction, animation and detail (my personal favorite to this day: Yoshi's Island) because no one has the money or budget to make a balanced product that can still compete with the mass market in all departments.

The Wii allowed much more balanced games on a tighter budget. Imagine Xenoblade in HD, modeling and animating everything would have been INSANE.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Nah. If you think about it current games are plagued not only by bad framerates or popup graphics or lovely textures, poor lighting and god knows what. Even if the process of getting better graphic fidelity might hit a wall, there's still little details that can be improved and go from load times all the way to the geometry of a world, and all those affect gameplay.

Just think of the size of open world games now compared to the GTA3 days.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And for people who like open world games, that's awesome, but the games I've played on my 360 the most are XBLA titles and I can't think of any XBLA/Steam Indie developer that can't make the games they wanna make right now without needing some kind of next gen boost. They probably wouldn't have the budget for that anyway.

I like to think that those kind of games, and mobile games, make up 80% of what is going on in gaming right now, if not moreso (I could be playing it really conservatively here). I don't know how much bleeding-edge tech matters to the average person or the average developer. It's great to have but most people can't take advantage of it in the first place.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

And for people who like open world games, that's awesome, but the games I've played on my 360 the most are XBLA titles and I can't think of any XBLA/Steam Indie developer that can't make the games they wanna make right now without needing some kind of next gen boost. They probably wouldn't have the budget for that anyway.

I like to think that those kind of games, and mobile games, make up 80% of what is going on in gaming right now, if not moreso (I could be playing it really conservatively here). I don't know how much bleeding-edge tech matters to the average person or the average developer. It's great to have but most people can't take advantage of it in the first place.

What about indie developers who want to make games with bleeding edge AAAA-level graphics like the Reset dudes

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Boost mode on Mario has pretty much become "lets gently caress with each other mode" and it's so much fun

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Was surprised to hear the wiiu is sold at a small loss when looking at the hardware. Given Sony's current financials i don't see them selling a console at a loss so saying next gen stuff won't be a huge leap over a wiiu isn't far fetched. But Sony has dug themselves a hole financialy so maybe they haven't learned and do think an overpriced console will work.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ They sell it at a loss, but they actually make profit after you bought a single game.

Det_no posted:

Nah. If you think about it current games are plagued not only by bad framerates or popup graphics or lovely textures, poor lighting and god knows what. Even if the process of getting better graphic fidelity might hit a wall, there's still little details that can be improved and go from load times all the way to the geometry of a world, and all those affect gameplay.

Just think of the size of open world games now compared to the GTA3 days.

You can always push the limits on how much the hardware can display, but at a certain point, the player won't be able to notice that seam on the NPC's pants waay in the distance. At a certain point, human perception can't keep up with technical fidelity, especially in an interactive medium (I suppose you could always pause and examine every inch of the screen, but that's not the point).
On a technical level, graphical improvements may be just as great as they were before, but they become less significant to convey information. After all, facial animation is more of a deal than jigglephysics on your guy's keychain.

I guess you can compare it to film (I am perfectly aware how stupid that usually is): We might now make improvements in CGI, resolution and other stuff, but audio, color and some editing tricks were everything to be able to convey practically everything in film.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Monarch posted:

Every single generation people say graphics have "peaked" and every time it seems ridiculous in hindsight.
This argument is bullshit and always has been. It's not that graphics can't get better. It's that hiring enough artists to texture-map and model photorealistic graphics is too expensive to be profitable beyond a certain point. A AAA title costs so much to make now that its breakeven point is more units than it's ever been.

It's not about what's possible. It's about what's profitable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What about indie developers who want to make games with bleeding edge AAAA-level graphics like the Reset dudes
When you can get people together who really want to push things to the limits, that's awesome. But the average developer doesn't set out with that intention. Do they want their game to look great? Sure, but within whatever boundary of reason they can contain. A labor of love project is not necessarily the same thing as a commercial project that has a budget and deadlines. I feel like pushing the envelope is not something that most studios, which have a hard time staying alive in this market as it is, want to do.

There are summer blockbusters, and then there's every other film inbetween. It's not that these smaller studios can't benefit from what newer engines and better tech give them, but they can work within what they have and still be happy with the result.

I think a lot of these "high budget" games could look a lot more realistic than they currently do, without even acquiring bigger and better technology. How about doing away with the extremely lovely, never good motion capture that makes all character and facial animation look loving terrible? I played LA Noire and it was like watching Clutch Cargo or something. These intensely realistic faces on goofy stiff wooden animatronics. I could go for miles on this topic.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I am sort of confused as to how it is that AAA games cost roughly a gorillion(approx) dollars to make, and really good looking games come out on PC with, presumably, a fraction of the budget. Blacklight: Retribution looks as good as or better than most console games. The Witcher 2 is another example, as was the original Crysis, though those two did actually intend to sell quite a number of copies(The Witcher 2, at least, was profitable for CDPR). Reset doesn't exist yet but it's being made by a very small team on an indie budget and if it lives up to the promise of its trailer it will be one of the best looking games ever made. How does this happen?

• Locked thread