Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Do you want me to export one for you?

Thankyou kindly, but no - I don't have a modded Wii to play it on, and there aren't really enough games I want to justify doing so really (just Trauma Team and Kirby). Worst comes to worst, I'll just get them off the Virtual Console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Ineffiable posted:

It's a good time to buy as long as you don't need NES/SNES stuff.

Genesis has always been stupid cheap (save some of the rpgs)

N64 prices are likely to rise moreso over the next few years, and it's hard to see PSX rising as much (RPGs are going to command most of the demand anyway and every other game was produced in higher numbers than most N64 games).

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

I don't collect for NES or PS1 other than what's on the PSN but I am looking at SNES. Luckily a lot of the rare and expensive stuff is available on VC, and I still have my old copy of Earthbound (bought at a thrift store for like $10 about 13 years ago :smug:). Genesis actually seems kind of expensive to me though, I find very few games I want for under $15-20 loose, so considering I can only spend maybe $30-40 a month on this stuff, that's a bit much. That seems to be true of Sega consoles in general, but maybe it's just me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go for the Dreamcast and Gamecube games first, they'll climb in price at a more steeper rate due to the possibility of scratches.

That's what I was thinking. N64 will most likely be stable for a few years, at least for cart only which is what I'd do. And after combing through Dreamcast game lists, there's only about 40 games I want. Gamecube has maybe 60~ that I'd want. Seems like a pretty decent goal to hit in a year or so, especially if my new work starting next year works out well.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Everyone jumping all over clone systems aside, has nobody really had to repair a red/yellow/white video game cable plug before? I'd really like to salvage this thing, but I don't want to end up accidentally releasing some kind of noxious gas trying to solder the plastic and metal or something, or generally trying something that just doesn't work.

oh yeah, my bad. Xenoblade.

And yeah Mario was going for $90 at one point (the game was only $30) but Nintendo did another print run and ruined that. I'm tempted to pick up a few Kirby Collections for the Wii. It's at the end of the Wii's life so it probably won't get a reprint.

Basically what I am saying is I learned my lesson not buying 400 copies of Earthbound in 1995.

No offense, but "ruining" that isn't the word I'd use, if a game is nice and stupidly rare, but the company then re-releases it so people who want to play it and enjoy it can do so. If a game is released on a modern system and then becomes dumbly super rare despite demand, and the company does nothing about it, I'd consider that a bad thing for gamers everywhere.

If Konami had done a second run of Suikoden II back in the day, I wouldn't be sad that my copy is now worth a lot less, I'd be happy that more people had and would get to play such a great game. :unsmith:

(And also that I'd be able to more easily get another copy if mine was lost or ruined somehow.)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Raider posted:

Everyone jumping all over clone systems aside, has nobody really had to repair a red/yellow/white video game cable plug before? I'd really like to salvage this thing, but I don't want to end up accidentally releasing some kind of noxious gas trying to solder the plastic and metal or something, or generally trying something that just doesn't work.

No offense, but "ruining" that isn't the word I'd use, if a game is nice and stupidly rare, but the company then re-releases it so people who want to play it and enjoy it can do so. If a game is released on a modern system and then becomes dumbly super rare despite demand, and the company does nothing about it, I'd consider that a bad thing for gamers everywhere.

If Konami had done a second run of Suikoden II back in the day, I wouldn't be sad that my copy is now worth a lot less, I'd be happy that more people had and would get to play such a great game. :unsmith:

(And also that I'd be able to more easily get another copy if mine was lost or ruined somehow.)

Speaking of Suikoden anybody happen to know if the Japanese psp release has english as an option? That's definitely something I'd import if I was able to understand it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Midnight Raider posted:

Can you just pull a wire off another cable and solder it to the broken one you want to fix? Not the broken connector piece, just cut that wire off a few inches down and solder a new end bit on.

vvvv I do have a PS3 so yeah, I'm going to try and pick that up, it'd knock about 25 games off my list.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 25, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Genesis actually seems kind of expensive to me though, I find very few games I want for under $15-20 loose, so considering I can only spend maybe $30-40 a month on this stuff, that's a bit much. That seems to be true of Sega consoles in general, but maybe it's just me.

If you have a PS3 or Xbox, you can put a serious dent into your wanted Genesis games by just getting Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Sega Ultimate Megadrive Collection in PAL-land) for about $20-30 (there's about 40 Genesis games as well as a few arcade and master system games in there to). I'm thinking of getting one of those MadCatz Street Fighter controllers just to get a near-enough six-button Megadrive controller for it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Midnight Raider posted:

Yeah, I have to agree with you on this. That just leads to dark thoughts about games when you start thinking too much about their value and how reprints can ruin them.

Games are meant to be enjoyed. Sure, we love showing off certain games, but I'd imagine Miyamoto would love to have those big box SNES games for display, regardless of value.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Raider posted:

Yeah I was kind of kidding with the "ruining" comment. I meant "ruining" my chance at making a few bucks to fund Nintendo's previous consoles.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
If anyone needs a SNES or NES, just shoot me an email (I'm a poor no pm's). dark spyralinc@gmail.com

I have 1 working SNES, and two working NES's taking up room. Just make me a fair offer. I picked them up in a couple of lots that I bought just for the games. Also, make a post in this thread requesting one :)

*edit* not looking for ebay/re-seller prices. Just what you think is fair.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 25, 2012

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of Suikoden anybody happen to know if the Japanese psp release has english as an option? That's definitely something I'd import if I was able to understand it.

It does not, sadly.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
SARGSS Post!

Sorry for the lack of posting, but I'm currently travelling on business. Luckily Elfster automates all the drawing so people should now have their gift exchange partners!!

Use the website to talk anonymously with your partner and find out what they would love from Santa's bulging sack!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a particular reason an NES would stop outputting sound?

I tried brand spanking new a/v cables, different ports on the tv... basically everything stupid and obvious. Everything else (snes/genesis, etc...) is working fine. I did replace the 72 pin connector last summer. Could that have anything to do with it?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

iastudent posted:

Also props to Vrikkian and Raxmus for hooking me up, you are cool dudes in my book.

You got my package! Yay! Glad it arrived safely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only other games that might be valuable/rare off the top of my head would be Muramasa, Sin and Punishment Successor to the Skies/Star Successor (in the US), or Super Mario Bros All-Stars.

Trauma Team is both really good and kinda hard to find, I could see it becoming pricey in the future.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Haven't posted a haul post even though I had stuff piling up.

Both saturns + saturn stuff was a couple SAMart purchases. The rest was an amazing Good Will haul. Not pictured; 25 blank dvd cases, brand new for $3.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

HKR posted:

That's quite the awesome haul. Reminds me that I need to pick up Dino Crisis 1 and 2 sometime.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I had a ton of fun playing Mission Impossible back in the day. I should pick it up with an N64 sometime.

Was the PS1 version the same game?

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!
I don't usually find anything decent in the local thrift shots but last time I went, I found a friend! This little goober even has a digital out though it came with no usable cords. Say hi, little friend!

What's that? You want to show me something?

:neckbeard:

The thing is, I don't need this disc. I already have one. I don't remember who it was who was lamenting lack of a GBA Player disc but if he wants to shoot me a line I'll pop it in the mail. A kind goon gave me a Master System pad when I had none, so why not help someone else out? Cheers :toot:!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HKR posted:

Man, I totally forgot the NES Advantage was even a thing that existed. I had one, but for whatever reason I don't think I ever used it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kilazar posted:

If anyone needs a SNES or NES, just shoot me an email (I'm a poor no pm's). dark spyralinc@gmail.com

I have 1 working SNES, and two working NES's taking up room. Just make me a fair offer. I picked them up in a couple of lots that I bought just for the games. Also, make a post in this thread requesting one :)

*edit* not looking for ebay/re-seller prices. Just what you think is fair.

Hey I tried e-mailing you but I got a bounceback saying it's not a valid e-mail address.

What is the serial number on the SNES?

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:

HKR posted:

Both saturns + saturn stuff was a couple SAMart purchases. The rest was an amazing Good Will haul. Not pictured; 25 blank dvd cases, brand new for $3.

Grandia is my absolute favourite game ever :fap:

I'd like to start posting my hauls, but there's not much retro buying to be had in the UK during the winter unfortunately. Except for overpriced Ebay buy it nows.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I finally own a Japanese Saturn! Now I can happily sell all my other systems and games and just buy more J-Saturn games :dukedog:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

ACID POLICE posted:

I finally own a Japanese Saturn! Now I can happily sell all my other systems and games and just buy more J-Saturn games :dukedog:

Like, for instance, X-Men vs. Street Fighter complete in box with the RAM cartridge? :) Let me know if you're interested.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I already have the game and a 4MB cart but thank you!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ACID POLICE posted:

First order of business is every SNK game and Wan Chai Connection.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Nope, sorry. First mission of every japanese saturn owner is to acquire every idol photo album released for the system.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw Wan Chai Connection when I put in my huge Surugaya-a-too order, but I have no idea why I didn't just do it! It was so cheap too!

I need get a few cheap idol CDs and VN's though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

speaking of Surugaya, anyone get order/shipping confirmations yet? I emailed them on friday and they said my order was still processing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HKR posted:

Nope, sorry. First mission of every japanese saturn owner is to acquire every idol photo album released for the system.

There's only one required "idol" product for Sega Saturn.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Hey I tried e-mailing you but I got a bounceback saying it's not a valid e-mail address.

What is the serial number on the SNES?

Thats odd.. you did put the two togther right? the dark is part of the email.

The S/N is UN225212776

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

SassyRobot posted:

I don't usually find anything decent in the local thrift shots but last time I went, I found a friend! This little goober even has a digital out though it came with no usable cords. Say hi, little friend!

What's that? You want to show me something?

:neckbeard:

The thing is, I don't need this disc. I already have one. I don't remember who it was who was lamenting lack of a GBA Player disc but if he wants to shoot me a line I'll pop it in the mail. A kind goon gave me a Master System pad when I had none, so why not help someone else out? Cheers :toot:!

I think I'm the only one that was lamenting the not having a disk. I'll shoot you an email now!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

There's only one required "idol" product for Sega Saturn.

Kamen Rider 1 in his own game? Sold.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Oh man, I just bought the stuff for my giftee, I hope they like it. :ohdear: Turns out they didn't have two of some of the best games for the platform they wanted, so that needed to be rectified.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

HKR posted:

speaking of Surugaya, anyone get order/shipping confirmations yet? I emailed them on friday and they said my order was still processing.

I haven't heard anything yet either. Put in the order on the 19th.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

JJJJJS posted:

I haven't heard anything yet either. Put in the order on the 19th.

Same here, I also sent them a question I had on a particular item in my order and haven't heard anything back from them yet.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Just for reference the last time I ordered from them it took 9 days before I got my order/shipping confirmation, I just wanted to see if that was the norm.

jmcg_omg_kekeke
Aug 11, 2006
Lolz
Been going through a bunch of stuff in the attic, and I found my old NES and some games. Trying to just clear out a bunch of stuff so was just going to get rid of it, but since there are a bunch of games and it seems to be in working order, I figured maybe it was worth selling. Checked out the forums and lo and behold this thread would probably be best able to answer what, if anything, this stuff is worth! Everything's dusty, but I'm sure easily cleanable.

Any suggestions? Is this something that I could just throw on SA-Mart, or EBay? If so, any idea how much?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Which cart is that with the Jaleco end label?

jmcg_omg_kekeke
Aug 11, 2006
Lolz

iastudent posted:

Which cart is that with the Jaleco end label?

Weird, didn't notice that didn't have the game on the top, it's Bases Loaded!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bases_Loaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

Weird, didn't notice that didn't have the game on the top, it's Bases Loaded!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bases_Loaded

Jaleco is famous for that.

• Locked thread