Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suaimhneas posted:

It makes sense when you realise that the whole Eryth Sea area is on top of those long wing things coming out of the Bionis' upper back. The underside must be made of some clear material so you can see the water from below.

Considering you go up through it from the Nopon village, I always thought it was something like a suspended bubble of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Here's a handy diagram!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I dunno. Seems pretty plausible to me, considering everything else.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm a little unclear on the Bionis's anatomy. They're vague on how all this stuff is supposed to work but from what I can guess at, he has a swamp in his groin, where the first breathing hole is located. The second breathing hole is located on his lower back.

Colony 6 is Bionis' groin. Just don't ask what the Ether mine or the narrow curly paths leading to it are supposed to represent.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Thundarr posted:

Colony 6 is Bionis' groin. Just don't ask what the Ether mine or the narrow curly paths leading to it are supposed to represent.

Homs are pubic lice :stonk:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Suaimhneas posted:

Here's a handy diagram!

Sea

A little bit of a spoiler, that.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Chronojam posted:

It's not that big a deal at this point, don't be a baby. :colbert:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not at that point in the game and I have no idea what is being spoiled at all other than the fact that the game contains a sea.

edit: I guess you see a weird structure but whatever you see weird structures in flashbacks barely a few hours into the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chronojam posted:

It really isn't. You get a good flyover of the place right from the start when the camera pans out and over the Bionis after the Battle of Sword Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6FH_4guK5A&t=589s

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I think the forest is on the underside of that thing, suspended upside-down?

Anyway, the Bionis is the animus of a literal god with powers over life, death, and reality. He presumably blew up physics with the rest of the old universe and now gravity and such simply work as he desires. Which is pretty rude, given that he was a scientist, but he seems like a rude egomaniac at heart. His own loving computer/sword/disciple didn't like him.

EDIT: Re-spoilered!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Boy, is that ever a poorly-applied spoiler.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Nathilus posted:

EDIT: What else do you want me to spoiler? I'll do it, so no one else can bitch. I also made it more clear what the spoiler was concerning.

Haha, like everything? Do you understand what a 'spoiler' is? Anyone reading your post is going to have the bullshit nonsequitur ending spoiled for them. There's nothing you can blank out--short of the whole thing--without ruining everything through the context of what you haven't blanked out.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bonaventure posted:

Haha, like everything? Do you understand what a 'spoiler' is? Anyone reading your post is going to have the bullshit nonsequitur ending spoiled for them. There's nothing you can blank out--short of the whole thing--without ruining everything through the context of what you haven't blanked out.

I don't see how the uninitiated could get ANYTHING out of the rest of that. Surely it reads like pure gibberish and will make zero sense until you've actually seen the spoilers in question.

In fact, I'm curious now. Try to explain how you can get anything out of that without having seen the very ending cutscenes. I will be very impressed, and give you your choice of low to moderate effort internet bonus points if you make a convincing argument!

But of course, I'll still spoiler the rest even if you won't play ball.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Nathilus posted:

I don't see how the uninitiated could get ANYTHING out of the rest of that. Surely it reads like pure gibberish and will make zero sense until you've actually seen the spoilers in question.

In fact, I'm curious now. Try to explain how you can get anything out of that without having seen the very ending cutscenes. I will be very impressed, and give you your choice of low to moderate effort internet bonus points if you make a convincing argument!

But of course, I'll still spoiler the rest even if you won't play ball.

Okay. End-game spoilers: The way you'd spoilered it before revealed the Bionis used to be a scientist, and that he had a sword (which, of course, could only be the Monado), which is also a person, and which is also a computer. This spoils a fair amount on its own. Considering we haven't really seen much in the way of computers, or scientists who could use computers, and considering this takes place in the context of describing the impossible physics of the Bionis, and considering how anime this game is, the rest of the nature of Xenoblade's reality can be pretty well guessed at.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If this game is all a dream I'm going to throw a brick through Monolith Soft's window.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If this game is all a dream I'm going to throw a brick through Monolith Soft's window.

It's not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Spoiler alert it isn't nope nope nope

The ending is actually nicely satisfying, if you know in advance about the Xeno series' monolithic hard-on for Gnostic mythology. Otherwise the events of the final few sequences would probably have you in Mr. Bean levels of befuddlement.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Pretty good! I think that has some holes that are easy to jump over in retrospect, though. You've already earned low effort bonus points, cause good effort. I'll create a facebook account and like you, or twitter that you have a giant penis, or whatever. If you want moderate effort bonus points, you have to plug a few holes!

Do not read any of this if you have not completed the game.

Bionis wasn't actually a scientist/isn't a god. You learn that Zanza and Bionis are separate things quite a while before the ending. After Mechonis field I think? Anyway, this would make that connection misleading at best.

The sword bit is even more misleading. You are led to believe that there is a single monado for the vast majority of the game. Near the end you find out that Alvis is actually your monado and there are two others of major consequence, though everyone has their own monado in a way. None of this can be inferred from the cryptic connection I mentioned.

With these in mind, I don't think that the nature of reality is easily evident based on the unspoilered parts of the post. In Xeno games weird sciency poo poo is a given, of course, and you always kill God; so in that regard we all know what we're in for.

Gimme two out of three of those, or whatever you want as your low effort prize.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Or we could all just accept that you made a bad spoiler tag and get on with our exciting and productive lives

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

Or we could all just accept that you made a bad spoiler tag and get on with our exciting and productive lives

I'm enjoying the game. If he's not he can cash out. I already applied the spoiler as requested, mistake acknowledged. Now it's stimulated a little bit of plot discussion. Sorry you're butthurt!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Nathilus posted:

I'm enjoying the game. If he's not he can cash out. I already applied the spoiler as requested, mistake acknowledged. Now it's stimulated a little bit of plot discussion. Sorry you're butthurt!

Just gently caress off already.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Ballz posted:

Finally said "gently caress the quests I'm beating this thing" tonight. Man, what a great ending. On the one hand I'd love to see a sequel or something else that takes place in the Xenoblade universe, but on the other, Shulk's recreation of the world as a peaceful utopia kind of minimizes the possibilities of conflict. But man, all the characters really grew on me, I hate to see them go. Melia especially. Poor, friendzoning, third wheel Melia. You needed better closure. :smith:
Well, remember that at the very end, Alvis mentions that the new universe is vast, and there are hints that there are other civilizations out there. Shulk even tells Fiora that he wants to meet those people out there. To me, that implies that the new universe is a 'proper' universe, with planets and galaxies and such.That's an incredible hook, and I think all the races have enough tech and ingenuity between them to make good on it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tupperwarez posted:

Well, remember that at the very end, Alvis mentions that the new universe is vast, and there are hints that there are other civilizations out there. Shulk even tells Fiora that he wants to meet those people out there. To me, that implies that the new universe is a 'proper' universe, with planets and galaxies and such.That's an incredible hook, and I think all the races have enough tech and ingenuity between them to make good on it.

Bonus points if (endgame spoilers marked because I'm not a jerk) it's the Nopon that first figure out space travel.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
*Ending spoilers*

Ballz posted:

Melia especially. Poor, friendzoning, third wheel Melia. You needed better closure. :smith:

Completely agree - her whole story was really depressing from start to finish. Even the ending felt really bittersweet ( more bitter than sweet). But if you do her "special sidequest" in Colony 6 and do her last Shulk heart to heart there seems to be some hope for the future at least :unsmith: ( that H2H is overall still rather depressing, though). Also, the last H2H with Sharla is another reason why I really liked Mellia as a character - the other being that she was the only one not standing around like an idiot and actually DID something when Wolverine tried to steal the Monado.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 26, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Calaveron posted:

Bonus points if (endgame spoilers marked because I'm not a jerk) it's the Nopon that first figure out space travel.
After thinking about it a little, the idea of Xenoblade 2 being about the beginnings of space exploration would fit pretty well with the feel of the first game. To me, Xenoblade was very much about discovery. Both in terms of exploring the game world, and how the characters uncover the secret workings of their universe. Just that feeling of realizing that there's so much more out there, waiting to be discovered, and space exploration would be a great way of capturing that.

Edit: And maybe Melia can find love among the stars. :unsmith:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nathilus posted:

Don't post in here again.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tupperwarez posted:

After thinking about it a little, the idea of Xenoblade 2 being about the beginnings of space exploration would fit pretty well with the feel of the first game. To me, Xenoblade was very much about discovery. Both in terms of exploring the game world, and how the characters uncover the secret workings of their universe. Just that feeling of realizing that there's so much more out there, waiting to be discovered, and space exploration would be a great way of capturing that.

Edit: And maybe Melia can find love among the stars. :unsmith:

I love all of this. I have no idea how well this game sold in and outside of Japan, but I hope it's enough for Monolith and Nintendo to revisit the Xenoblade universe. It might even be what pushes me to buying a Wii U.

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010
I finally sat down and powered through to the end over the weekend and wow, what a ride. I saw a lot of comments in the thread that the story got stupid by the end, and yeah, I'll agree that it definitely swerves headlong into JRPG crazyland hey, everybody, let's go KILL GOD!, everything felt like it made sense in context. A problem I've had with a lot of JRPGs I've played in the last... decade or so, which admittedly is mostly Final Fantasies and Kingdom Hearts, is that the big plot twists all felt like they came completely out of left field with little to no build-up. Xenoblade goes completely insane but all of the plot twists starting with the Mechonis Core stuff had SOME foreshadowing. The only thing I really went "wait, what?" at was the whole mad scientist hit a reset button and turned into God thing, I'm still not entirely sure what to make of that but other than that the story felt coherent despite being absolutely nuts. I've also never played Xenogears or Xenosaga so I can't really comment on how obnoxious the Gnosticism references were. I found it really interesting, myself. :)

The final boss wasn't TOO hard for me; the hardest part was trying to decide which characters to bring with me to the end. :ohdear: I went with Seven, Shulk and Riki, which may have been why it wasn't that hard, since Riki is basically Press A To Win The Game. It was still a really fun fight, though. I can't remember the last time I was so pumped during a final battle in a game. I've been listening to the first final boss theme on repeat all evening.

This is without a doubt my game of the year and I am SO glad I saw the preorder thread months and months ago, since I was all set to skip over this and just wait for the Last Story. 110+ hours logged later I have no idea what I was thinking. I'm so excited to see what Monolith Soft does next. They can wank about Gnosticism all they want if they keep making stuff as fun and immensely satisfying as Xenoblade. Relatedly, I would love to see Nintendo of Europe localize more stuff if they do as bang-up a job as they did here. I don't know how I missed it for so long, but at some point during the last dungeon I finally realized that Riki goes "high-five!" when he finishes a chain attack. :3:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm pretty sure the ending big-twist is there simply to provide a "reasonable" explanation for the world, the physics, and some of the creatures that inhabit it. Maybe it's a question you weren't asking but midway through I found myself asking, so wait, there's this endless ocean and... And then the game provides an explanation. I'll take it!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man this game suddenly turned into PSO (referring to the teleporters in Eryth Sea). Also Shulk + Riki + Melia is working out pretty well, and I thought this game was going to enforce the holy trinity on me. I might ditch Shulk for Dunban, actually.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Just a tip for you, the sidequesting is about to get really annoying due to landmark layouts, and you should not invite any poet guy you meet to Colony 6 unless you want to make a future sidequest for Colony 6 so tricky that I personally did not complete it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Chronojam posted:

Just a tip for you, the sidequesting is about to get really annoying due to landmark layouts, and you should not invite any poet guy you meet to Colony 6 unless you want to make a future sidequest for Colony 6 so tricky that I personally did not complete it.

Which quest are you referring to? Eryth Sea quests were a bit annoying, especially when I had just started and kept trying to swim to places. But nothing so far has been "tricky" in this game aside from a couple of boss fights and those paths on Valak Mountain.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Which quest are you referring to? Eryth Sea quests were a bit annoying, especially when I had just started and kept trying to swim to places. But nothing so far has been "tricky" in this game aside from a couple of boss fights and those paths on Valak Mountain.

Alcamoth itself is large and annoying, making the quests annoying when you've been spoiled by fast travel and you take so long to check the vast spans for ... who was it that gave you the quest again?

The tricky quest refers to Ice Cabbage. The best place to get it (meaning 0.5% odds) seems to be some ridiculous spawn along the unmarked, unmapped, foot-wide spine of Valak, at night, if it's Thursday and the stars align. That's where I found two, but I used one for the collection, and never found a third to use for the quest.

E: In order to sure-fire 100% get Ice Cabbage, you need to not bring Yura the poet in Alcamoth, by the main escalator to Colony 6. Wait until he moves to the Valak tower towards the end of the game. Then you can trade for them. Once you get 3 (2 for the quest, 1 for the collection) you can move him to Colony 6. It's pretty easy to accidentally get Colony 6 housing upgraded enough to invite him over, removing the only sure shot at getting Ice Cabbage.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 28, 2012

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

About half the collectible spots in Valak have a 2% shot at Ice Cabbage, about a quarter don't have it as a possibility at all, and the remaining quarter range from 3% to 6%. (The collectible spots with the 6% chance at Ice Cabbage are only out at night. There are no day-only collectible spots in Valak, so do your hunting at night.)

It's rare, certainly, but it's not as bad as the Black Liver Beans or Rainbow Slugs. You're not guaranteed to have three after doing an exploratory lap or two, but you get decent enough odds just from sheer number of attempts: Valak has a lot of collectible spots.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm playing the game on Dolphin, maybe I could get a trainer for the annoying stuff.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'd say this is best JRPG of this century so far. I do wish I had it played on the Dolphin the first time instead of the Wii though when I compare the visuals and resolution I get on using my PC vs the Wii. Playing on the Wii is like not wearing glasses it's so blurry. It's a shame this game is a Wii exclusive because besides better graphics there would be so much more exposure for the company that made this if they had Xbox and PS3 versions. In fact I'd like a PS3 or Xbox version as the dolphin version is still glitchy.

How is the other game this company released by the way? I forget the name of the game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

DropsySufferer posted:

I'd say this is best JRPG of this century so far. I do wish I had it played on the Dolphin the first time instead of the Wii though when I compare the visuals and resolution I get on using my PC vs the Wii. Playing on the Wii is like not wearing glasses it's so blurry. It's a shame this game is a Wii exclusive because besides better graphics there would be so much more exposure for the company that made this if they had Xbox and PS3 versions. In fact I'd like a PS3 or Xbox version as the dolphin version is still glitchy.

How is the other game this company released by the way? I forget the name of the game.

They have a couple actually. They made the Xenosaga games which I personally never took to(I am not a fan of JRPGs, mind) and then they also worked on Baten Kaitos with another developer. Baten Kaitos is kind of interesting as it has a card battling system. It's worth a look at least, though I wouldn't pay too much for it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Aside the terrible voice acting and too-frequent battles, Baten Kaitos is great. The pre-rendered backgrounds are some of the best ever. The sequel is supposed to fix the battle annoyances of the first game, but I haven't played it yet.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I had no idea there was another Baten Kaitos game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The second Baten Kaitos game (Baten Kaitos Origins) is actually a prequel. It changes the gameplay around in many ways (mostly for the better in my opinion, YMMV), and vastly improves the voice acting. They actually used real career VAs rather than using whatever Namco Bandai in-house peeps moonlight for Tekken battle grunts and poo poo like that (I'm serious here, check IMDB).

Also the party members actually have interactions and dynamics rather than being Super Serious All The Time.

• Locked thread