Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I told a friend to play through P3P, he thought it was alright but he's in love with P4. I think it's mainly the dialogue, it's a lot funnier, better written and acted than P3.

Compared to the original P4 Golden feels easier in some ways and harder in others. A lot more of the random shadow battles were kicking my rear end on normal, I definitely don't remember the first dungeon already having guys that can hit your weaknesses but that don't have weaknesses themselves. Also I don't know how much extra time they added but there's so much additional poo poo to do (even at night) that it feels like it's gonna balance out. I don't have time for you Kanji I gotta ride scooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shadow Yukiko actually has a weakness to ice now! They nerfed her!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Were golden hands even a thing in the original game? I haven't touched it in four years and have no real memory of them.

I ran into SO MANY of them in my first run of p4g that I was constantly over-levelled.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

OmegaZultan posted:

Were golden hands even a thing in the original game? I haven't touched it in four years and have no real memory of them.

I ran into SO MANY of them in my first run of p4g that I was constantly over-levelled.

You mean the guys that drop tons of money if you kill them within a few turns? Yeah, totally. They were definitely in Persona 4.

Edit: I'm okay with the new voices so far but one thing I'm curious about. How is mid-late game Teddy? Does the VA capture real world teddy as well as the old one? I loved how hammy old teddy was..

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 27, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright I can confirm that after Rank 6 Adachi's S. Link is advanced through storyline events. Rank 7 is achieved after completing Nanako's dungeon.

That's kind of a neat thing I guess, but sort of obnoxious for a first playthrough.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

TheJoker138 posted:

Time to fuse! I need someone with electric stuff, this guy looks good for it! Well let's hit the button!

:stare::what:
The best part about Belphegor is that his casting animation makes it look like he's pinching a loaf. It's like, *ernt*, lightning everywhere.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Speedball posted:

Shadow Yukiko actually has a weakness to ice now! They nerfed her!

They actually just redid this fight from the ground up. Her HP is about double what it used to be now, and both her and the prince have some different moves. Overall it's more on par for being the boss of the first dungeon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Axle_Stukov posted:

They actually just redid this fight from the ground up. Her HP is about double what it used to be now, and both her and the prince have some different moves. Overall it's more on par for being the boss of the first dungeon.

Yeah it actually makes sense now, the difficulty curve in P4 on PS2 was basically a \ shape.

You can always play on Hard :v:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sankis posted:

You mean the guys that drop tons of money if you kill them within a few turns? Yeah, totally. They were definitely in Persona 4.

Edit: I'm okay with the new voices so far but one thing I'm curious about. How is mid-late game Teddy? Does the VA capture real world teddy as well as the old one? I loved how hammy old teddy was..

I think he does a great job. Honestly if I hadn't been told the voice actors had been changed i would have thought nothing of it.

I just went through whats currently out of the english dub of the anime and it really makes me appreciate Chie's new voice a lot more than I already did. She does a good job of matching Chie's high energy motions in the anime.

Also the anime is pretty drat good, all things considered.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

chaosapiant posted:

I keep playing P4, and I keep liking it more. Possibly more than 3. Not because of the mechanics though, as I don't see the ones in 3 being a deal breaker, but the characters themselves are really growing on me.

Now...how do I level expression?

This is really the crux of it. Persona 4 is a better game mechanically, but more than that, it has flat out better writing and better characterization. The P3 cast weren't really believable as teenagers. The P4 cast is much moreso, and have a better dynamic with each other. The plot is also generally a lot more coherent.

Persona 3 was good and enjoyable, but rough and unpolished around the edges.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Really, the differences between the openings of P3P and P4G say it all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Word of warning to people who're trying to figure out when they should end their game. Endgame spoilers.

Starting clear data from the Bad End will start you out with practically nothing, save your expression/whatever stats and some key items. This makes the game nearly impossible to speed right through and you'll basically be doing everything all over again. Keep old saves. Be warned.

Also, Teddie has a new VA? I had no idea.

vv I could have sworn the PS2 version had me start off with a lot more than this.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 27, 2012

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Word of warning to people who're trying to figure out when they should end their game. Endgame spoilers.

Starting clear data from the Bad End will start you out with practically nothing, save your expression/whatever stats and some key items. This makes the game nearly impossible to speed right through and you'll basically be doing everything all over again. Keep old saves. Be warned.

Also, Teddie has a new VA? I had no idea.

Isn't this the case for all of the ends?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

b0lt posted:

Isn't this the case for all of the ends?

Outside of the cash you ended the game with and your Compendium, yeah

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
GOTY 2009 and 2012 and forever.

I'm loving it so far. Slowly getting used to Teddie and Chie sounding different but it's fine, they're both fine.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is really the crux of it. Persona 4 is a better game mechanically, but more than that, it has flat out better writing and better characterization. The P3 cast weren't really believable as teenagers. The P4 cast is much moreso, and have a better dynamic with each other. The plot is also generally a lot more coherent.

Persona 3 was good and enjoyable, but rough and unpolished around the edges.
The cast is more enjoyable in P4 sure, but P3's story as a whole is a lot stronger, well until they hosed it up in FES

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I've really warmed up to Chie's new VA. She can be a little loud but for the end of her S. Link and any romantic stuff she's really good. There's just the right mix of hesitancy, hope, and dorkiness. I really wasn't planning on doing Chie for romance again since I did her in the original P4 but the VA nailed the "I want to protect you" line so hard I decided to roll with her again.

Which is really to my detriment since I feel too guilty to go the pimp route, but eh, that's life.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Did you read the cards she wrote in the bamboo thing she brings home around June with her wishes and what she's thankful for? I think it's new to Golden.

Nanako continues to be the most depressing thing

Dredging this up from two pages back, but what did Nanako wish for in your game? I have a sneaking suspicion it's different depending on what you wish for, because her's were hardly depressing in my game. I wrote "I hope to play with Nanako more" or something like that, and the wishes on the tree from her were something like "I hope dad doesn't get hurt" and "I want to spend more time with big bro".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So someone must have gotten to the "Fsteak" scene by now. How did they wiggle that reference into there? I'm aware of how it was in the original Japanese, but I can't think how you'd make the reference without it being obviously stilted.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The character that says the line is pretty weird.

Also Gyre get ready for a whole lot of adorable dialog on Valentine's day.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gyre posted:

Dredging this up from two pages back, but what did Nanako wish for in your game? I have a sneaking suspicion it's different depending on what you wish for, because her's were hardly depressing in my game.

I had those same ones on my game as well. On my card, I put "World domination!" and it was totally worth it just to freak Dojima out more.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gyre posted:

I've really warmed up to Chie's new VA. She can be a little loud but for the end of her S. Link and any romantic stuff she's really good. There's just the right mix of hesitancy, hope, and dorkiness. I really wasn't planning on doing Chie for romance again since I did her in the original P4 but the VA nailed the "I want to protect you" line so hard I decided to roll with her again.

Which is really to my detriment since I feel too guilty to go the pimp route, but eh, that's life.

Dredging this up from two pages back, but what did Nanako wish for in your game? I have a sneaking suspicion it's different depending on what you wish for, because her's were hardly depressing in my game. I wrote "I hope to play with Nanako more" or something like that, and the wishes on the tree from her were something like "I hope dad doesn't get hurt" and "I want to spend more time with big bro".

I wrote the same thing as you and one of hers was something like I'm so happy I finally have a big bro which I guess could be seen as happy but I saw it more as she was living her life up to this point in crushing loneliness. Maybe I'm just assuming everything she says is sad so I read it that way. Hearing W...Welcome Back When her dad comes home drunk, going from her usual cheery tone to wariness was like watching someone's childhood end before your eyes

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wrote the same thing as you and one of hers was something like I'm so happy I finally have a big bro which I guess could be seen as happy but I saw it more as she was living her life up to this point in crushing loneliness. Maybe I'm just assuming everything she says is sad so I read it that way. Hearing W...Welcome Back When her dad comes home drunk, going from her usual cheery tone to wariness was like watching someone's childhood end before your eyes

Now I feel really sad :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mailer posted:

Well there's the fact that you can control your non-MC characters, which was the biggest improvement in the original. P4G brings in fast forward, restarting on the floor you died on, picking cards, Marie's skill cards and probably other stuff I can't remember since it's been a while. Mechanically it's an objectively better game.

In terms of atmosphere it's mixed. P4 slinks resolve with a happy ending and P3 slinks resolve with... characters who are slightly less sad. That depressed atmosphere may be what you're missing. That's why you finish P4 and immediately replay P3P.

P4 also has different locations. I'm only in the second dungeon and I've seen more variety than 3 has.

So far I prefer P3's characters though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Rinkles posted:

So someone must have gotten to the "Fsteak" scene by now. How did they wiggle that reference into there? I'm aware of how it was in the original Japanese, but I can't think how you'd make the reference without it being obviously stilted.

She asks what 'steak' is short for (beef steak), decides that's dumb because it doesn't have any part of the word 'beef', and says it should be 'fsteak'.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 27, 2012

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any tips for Shadow Kanji on Hard? (Second Dungeon)

I can usually get rid of one of the henchmen, but then I just get knocked out with Swift Strike and/or Poison. Everybody is in the early 20s, and I'm running with Yaksini, Shiisaa, Jack Frost, Eligor, Phoenix, and Titan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for Shadow Kanji on Hard? (Second Dungeon)

I can usually get rid of one of the henchmen, but then I just get knocked out with Swift Strike and/or Poison. Everybody is in the early 20s, and I'm running with Yaksini, Shiisaa, Jack Frost, Eligor, Phoenix, and Titan.
Take out the one who casts buffs first. The boss will wreck you if you leave him with those on him for any length of time. From there, you can generally tough out their damage. A persona who resists physical helps a ton, as does having Dekaja - either from Yosuke or from one of your personas. Be sure to guard/switch to your phys resist persona when he uses power charge. It's up to you if you want to take out the other lackey or just bumrush the boss, but I prefer taking him out - he casts Dekaja on your guys if you try and buff at all, and buffs are a huge help.

PS: If you haven't yet, you can probably take out the bonus boss in the castle dungeon at this point. Doing so will probably grab you at least a level, and also a +50 SP weapon for Yukiko, which helps a ton.

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh
Adding on to Endorph's suggestions:

New to p4g, I believe, the henchman have weaknesses and can be dizzied by attacking them again (preferably with their weakness) while they're down.

Guarding with Yosuke on turns when you're not sure what the boss will be doing to prevent one-mores from lightning probably isn't a bad call. If he power charges, guarding with EVERYBODY is probably the best way to handle it because if any of the hits are critical then that person is pretty much guaranteed-dead. Despite playing vanilla p4 to completion on the order of three times, I still lost my first fight with this guy to a crit swift strike because I got cocky.

Poison isn't that threatening and media should be able to heal the damage from it just fine until it expires. Worst-case, a double media should bring you from near-dead to full in the early 20s, so if one of the Personae you listed doesn't have it, consider fusing one that does. This also lets you backup-heal if Yukiko ends up enraged.

While you're fusing, putting tarunda on the main boss will lower its damage output a lot, and you can even refresh it before it expires (which is also new to p4g).

Bonus points if you can get resist phys/elec on all of the guys you are planning to use during the fight, though at the end of the day I don't think it helps as much as Endorph says - if you have to AE heal up the damage from swift strike, you're going to have to heal it on everybody, so having one person resist it isn't normally a big help. It only helps in edge cases (critical hits etc)

Also while the bonus boss in the castle dungeon is definitely beatable at this point, I think he's much harder than the boss you're fighting and is probably best saved for afterward. You can give it a go if you want a change of scenery, though.

Hope this helps!

Edit: level plays a huge role in damage calculations even irrespective of stats, being able to swing damage easily +/- 60% in either direction. If you're still having troubles, a few levels vs ANY boss will make them die noticeably faster and you die noticeably slower.

Dr. Video Games 0156 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 27, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's kind of funny how Nice Guy and Tough Guy are vulnerable to the elements the girl party members use.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
]Not to mention that Forbidden Murmur only hits the guys, and his other status move (don't remember the name) Enrages the girls.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ok, so gently caress me for my previous opinion that P4 "wasn't all that" because jesus christ this game just got amazing! I just hung out in the city with Kanji and Yosuke, and they have some of the best back and forth banter and voice acting i've ever heard in any game, period. Everything Kanji says is loving comedy gold. "Up close and personal? Now I get it!" I just about spit out my coffee.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I'm surprised this question isn't answered in the OP: Should I buy a Vita just for Persona 4: Golden? I love this game to death. It's my favorite RPG ever. Should I buy the goddamn system for one of my favorite games of all time?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I'm surprised this question isn't answered in the OP: Should I buy a Vita just for Persona 4: Golden? I love this game to death. It's my favorite RPG ever. Should I buy the goddamn system for one of my favorite games of all time?

Yes. I bought my Vita on the strength of P3P and P4G alone back in July. It was between that and a PS3, because i'm primarily a PC gamer and never owned a Playstation before. Plus, chances are P5 will eventually come out for Vita as well, and it almost doubles as a nice tablet pc with touchscreen, internet, music, video, pictures, etc, and has a great back catalog of PS One games on it, such as every Final Fantasy I-IX and Xenogears.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yes. I liked P4 a lot and Golden only adds to the experience.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

To be fair some pretty rad games are coming out for the vita next year :shobon:

That said, golden is totally awesome and the definitive version of persona 4. I normally don't like saying stuff like 'this is the best game everrr', but P4G is hands down one of the best JRPGs I ever played and if persona 5 is as big of a jump in quality as 3 to 4 then it will be my all time favorite game ever.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 27, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

chaosapiant posted:

Everything Kanji says is loving comedy gold.

Troy Baker is pretty much the best and the main reason I played Arena dubbed.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I think all the graphical updating, new(and hilarious) scenes and events, and all the refinements and streamlining to the gameplay make this is a much MUCH better game than P4 was. It went from a game I really liked 4 years ago to probably one of my favorite games of all time.

The vita itself is a really nice system. I use it mostly to play psp games i downloaded off the store but it upscales them perfectly and makes them look even nicer than on the psp.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

OmegaZultan posted:

I think all the graphical updating, new(and hilarious) scenes and events, and all the refinements and streamlining to the gameplay make this is a much MUCH better game than P4 was. It went from a game I really liked 4 years ago to probably one of my favorite games of all time.

The vita itself is a really nice system. I use it mostly to play psp games i downloaded off the store but it upscales them perfectly and makes them look even nicer than on the psp.

I just bought a Vita on Amazon to play this game and have a bunch of old PSP games but my PSP is busted. Is there any kind of discount you get by owning the physical copies if you want to get the digital versions to play on the vita?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

I bought a vita for golden like 3 months after I beat P4 for the first time, definitely worth it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Radish posted:

I just bought a Vita on Amazon to play this game and have a bunch of old PSP games but my PSP is busted. Is there any kind of discount you get by owning the physical copies if you want to get the digital versions to play on the vita?

If you're in the US, I don't think so. I do recall there being some sort of "UMD Passport" program or some such that gave you some discounts.

edit: worst case scenario, psp games are pretty cheap digitally and a lot of them tend to go on sale. I got the whole set of Ys games this summer for like 30 bucks.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Some Gamestops still has the Vita skins. I went to my local one and they were too happy to give me one, in case people here are looking for one.

• Locked thread