Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Plus you get to use your UPlay points to unlock something :krad: in the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Uplay isn't too bad in this game, if you set it to offline you can't do multiplayer and such, but there really isn't any reason to that it if you're offline anyway. :v:

It also has cloud saves which is pretty handy. It's not bad at all, actually.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

gallilee posted:

I got the PC version and it's drat good. But the fact that you have to sign in to both Steam and Uplay to even start the game kinda sucks. And for some reason it tries to dial home to the UBI servers 5 out of 3 times I go to the menu which can get pretty annoying when they don't respond.

Game is beautiful though!
As I posted earlier, set uplay to offline mode. The server thing is the game trying to be social, setting uplay to offline will disable it.

swissmercenary
Nov 28, 2012

gentlemen, shall we?

Meat Recital posted:

Was I the only one who liked FarCry 1's story? Two sequels now and not a mention of it. It was goofy as poo poo, but it wasn't that bad.

I liked FarCry 1 because the main character reminded of myself. No, I was not an ex-special forces assassin, but he did talk to himself and so do I. I don't answer to myself tho.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

swissmercenary posted:

I liked FarCry 1 because the main character reminded of myself. No, I was not an ex-special forces assassin, but he did talk to himself and so do I. I don't answer to myself tho.

Have you ever fought mutated apes on a desert island?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So wait, do you have to always use a VPN to get past Uplay if you don't live in Australia, or is there a way around it?

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

If you don't want to talk to your Steam buddies you can just put it in Offline mode. I saw something about making a steam_appid.txt file and putting it in the same folder as the FC3 launcher but that didn't do jack poo poo for me.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Well I caved and did the VPN trick. The game is performing pretty admirably (around 40-50 fps) at Very High spec with shadows turned down a notch on my modest i5-2400k and GTX 560 rig, so if your computer isn't on the cutting edge, don't worry--it seems to scale well. :)

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ugh!
Another option this game should've launched with is aim toggle, now I'm stuck holding my mouse button like a chump.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So wait, do you have to always use a VPN to get past Uplay if you don't live in Australia, or is there a way around it?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516417&userid=95254&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post410017676

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Ugh!
Another option this game should've launched with is aim toggle, now I'm stuck holding my mouse button like a chump.

Yeah, that's a bummer for me, too. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was the same way, and that was a PC exclusive. :( Oh well, I can deal.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

I don't know why I didn't just check back through this thread. This works perfectly. Thanks gibbed!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Insane Edition Unlockable content pack isn't even a download, it's literally a code you punch in and a popup appears telling you unlocked it.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

The Insane Edition Unlockable content pack isn't even a download, it's literally a code you punch in and a popup appears telling you unlocked it.
Yeah I'm still waiting for my Digital Deluxe content code from Steam (basically same thing as the Insane Edition contents), they haven't given those out yet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

gibbed posted:

Yeah I'm still waiting for my Digital Deluxe content code from Steam (basically same thing as the Insane Edition contents), they haven't given those out yet.

I was kind of surprised, because instead of just an Xbox Live redemption code like the Uplay Multiplayer Pass, you have to go into options, then extras, then unlockable content and then it literally just says 'yep, good work', then you get a popup during the tutorial telling you what it unlocked.

Really wierd way of doing it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I wonder how trivial it will be to unlock those pre-order bonuses by, like, changing a 0 to a 1.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wonder how trivial it will be to unlock those pre-order bonuses by, like, changing a 0 to a 1.

If it works the same way I can't imagine it'd be much work, that said, they're not pre-order bonuses, actual content you pay extra for, so it's a bit skeevy, but that's never stopped anyone here before.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

Uplay isn't too bad in this game, if you set it to offline you can't do multiplayer and such, but there really isn't any reason to that it if you're offline anyway. :v:

UPlay has gradually evolved from a horribly annoying and intrusive system to something actually quite decent.

I rather like Ubi's achievements/unlocks system they have going.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Is it even possible to download FC3 from the Ubishop in EU right now? It still shows up as a "preorder" for me even though it's already released on Steam.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

If it works the same way I can't imagine it'd be much work, that said, they're not pre-order bonuses, actual content you pay extra for, so it's a bit skeevy, but that's never stopped anyone here before.
The Insane Edition/Digital Deluxe content pack is all of the preorder DLC for every retailer, aside from the soundtrack/survival guide. I posted about this earlier in the thread.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mokinokaro posted:

UPlay has gradually evolved from a horribly annoying and intrusive system to something actually quite decent.

I rather like Ubi's achievements/unlocks system they have going.

If the UPlay servers go down, your game crashes.

gibbed posted:

The Insane Edition/Digital Deluxe content pack is all of the preorder DLC for every retailer, aside from the soundtrack/survival guide. I posted about this earlier in the thread.

Do you need to unlock the digital deluxe content with a code?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

swissmercenary posted:

RIGHT NOW I'M SO PISSED OFF IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY KNOW I'M COMING OR NOT

The story in FC1 was an excellent 80s action movie. Far Cry 2 and 3's stories had writers talking about how good they would be and they're utter poo poo. I did 3 main missions in 3 and the story is atrocious compared to how great everything else is.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Adraeus posted:

Do you need to unlock the digital deluxe content with a code?
I'm pretty sure you do -- one of the unlocks is "get an early unlock of the tattoo editor in multiplayer" which isn't unlocked for me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I just wanted to say, gibbed, I'm rooting for you! I'm very hopeful we'll have a way to fix the drat UI. :)

Can't wait to VPN and get my hands on this bad boy.

e: Anyone try multiplayer yet? I'm curious if there are any obvious terrible things about it like no dedicated servers, matchmaking only, uPlay down means servers are down.. etc.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 29, 2012

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GUI posted:

I did 3 main missions in 3 and the story is atrocious compared to how great everything else is.

The characters at least seemed decently entertaining from the Giantbomb quick look at least (the island folks I mean, not Brody's annoying friends.)

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GUI posted:

I did 3 main missions in 3 and the story is atrocious compared to how great everything else is.

In my opinion, "atrocious" is an exaggeration. I happen to like the story.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The characters at least seemed decently entertaining from the Giantbomb quick look at least (the island folks I mean, not Brody's annoying friends.)

It's alright once you come to terms with the fact that you are playing as a cowardly douche that gets his skills/courage from magical tattoos.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Game seems awesome, but I'm only an hour in, i.e. since the moment it unlocked. Now I need to go to bed :)

Performance impressions on a 560ti 2GB: With DX11, 1920x1080, SSAO, no AA and everything else as high as it goes (unless it goes to ultra) I'm getting between 30 and 40 FPS so far with the newest beta drivers. Haven't been in a massive firefight yet or generally been around much, so I might end up dropping it a notch.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I was originally gonna play on the hardest difficulty but I think I'm changing my mind. I'm basically near-death as soon as someone starts shooting at me and there's no quicksaves to abuse like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., hahah.

Also, I just downloaded the latest NVIDIA beta drivers as mentioned above and now I can turn shadows back up to Very High and still get better performance than I was getting before. These drivers are a must for NVIDIA users.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 29, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

I was originally gonna play on the hardest difficulty but I think I'm changing my mind. I'm basically near-death as soon as someone starts shooting at me and there's no quicksaves to abuse like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., hahah.

Just pull out all the bullets with your teeth, dude!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

UrbanSurgeon posted:

Do you know if this works? I'm willing to give it a try but some confirmation would be great

I'm willing to be a gifting guinea pig to see if it works, I really want this game. :(

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The Nvidia Farcry 3 beta drivers are hilariously unstable on my 670 GTX. I've had the game have prolonged and beautiful meltdowns the likes of which I haven't seen since my hardcore overclocking days on several occasions now. Texture explosions, weird color corruption, terrain literally exploding out at each vert in the mesh. Amazing GPU breakdown stuff. My temps are totally fine I've been monitoring them after the crazyness started, at least totally fine for an nvidia card :black101: 81C underload thanks Nvidia.

Back to retail drivers for me!

Calipark fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 29, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder how loose the targeting is on dual stealth kills. It's not a "knife in each hand" thing like in Assassin's Creed, it's "jump on guy 1, then jump on guy 2". How close do they have to be to each other to make it work?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

I wonder how loose the targeting is on dual stealth kills. It's not a "knife in each hand" thing like in Assassin's Creed, it's "jump on guy 1, then jump on guy 2". How close do they have to be to each other to make it work?

I've seen the single takedown activate from some pretty long ranges and some sketchy situations, so I imagine it's probably pretty forgiving.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Is it normal that the game is locking me to Dx9 mode, even when I start it through the dx11 exe?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Th lip-sync and the conversation animations in the sidequests in this game are so awful.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Some questions:

How well does the game fix FC2's glaring issues?

Does it use Ubi's lovely DRM that I've heard so much about but never actually had to endure?

What does Uplay do? How much of a pain in the rear end is it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Some questions:

How well does the game fix FC2's glaring issues?

Pretty well. I haven't got far into it so I can't say how repetitive it is, but it seems to be much better designed mechanically and there doesn't seem to be any respawning enemies in the same, annoying way that Far Cry 2 had them.

Does it use Ubi's lovely DRM that I've heard so much about but never actually had to endure?

No, they've been phasing that system out, I believe.

What does Uplay do? How much of a pain in the rear end is it?

UPlay is basically a service for playing all Ubisoft games, you can use points you get from playing Ubisoft games to unlock skins, cheats, weapons, etc. in the games, basically. I think it has some multiplayer functionality as well and maybe is the way they validate new installs on PC?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Sounds good. If I come into some money, I'll see about picking this one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

I wouldn't trust the uplay cloud too much. It completely lost my very near the finish AC2 save this summer forcing me to youtube the ending.

• Locked thread