Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SquadronROE posted:

I wanted to give them more money than $10, but unfortunately none of the bonuses above $10 interested me. Oh well.
You clearly didn't look at $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
Pledged. I think this thing could hit it's goal within hours.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
OOOH BARKLEY WOOO now, to make sure I do not EvilMeira my paycheck away. Edit: That may be the best $1,000 reward tier in history. Well all right if I were being honest I would say Wasteland 2's is better, but seriously, that is great.

CrookedB posted:

Telepath Tactics kickstarter has just launched and it looks good. I particularly like the bit about environment manipulation.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics
"Looking like a really lovely game" aside, I saw this game mentioned twice in my feed today, once by Brian Fargo~! mentioning its creator as a "very bright strategy game designer," which seems promising, and once by another of my friends saying "hey, support my awesomely talented friend's game!" so obviously he is either good at viral marketing or there is something going on here.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 28, 2012

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Holy poo poo I didn't realize until now that chef boyardee was the same guy that made those dilbert cartoons.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/update-on-developer-kit-technology-shipping-details/

The Oculus Rift got delayed to March 2013 (devkits were originally scheduled to ship in December). On the plus side, they finally showed final prototype shots and their manufacturing partner is already in the tooling phase. The screen was updated to a better model (better color, contrast and response times) and their sensor package now includes a magnetometer.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Man, Dizzy's got no chance.

Clearly in these times of austerity, no one can afford to have a soul.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Well, the Telepath Tactics guy has a long-running dev thread over at TIGSource ( http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14260.660 ), so you can always check it out if you're unsure.
At least it's obvious that this is an actual living project with a good amount of word done before, and the dude has always been very open and informative regarding the dev process. Also, if I may say so, the character pixel graphics seem absolutely sublime.

Edit: And soul or no soul, I don't mind seeing the Dizzy KS not doing well. A budget of 350k for an iOS platformer seems simply absurd to me, let alone the dev history of the people behind it.

miguelito fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 28, 2012

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

The Verge posted:

While Shumaker believes that it will be an "uphill battle" to reach the game’s funding goal (which he describes as a "modest amount"), the team is excited about the possibilities of their first commercial release."

Let's see here: Just under $6,000 in less than an hour. I don't think "uphill battle" is going to be an appropriate term to describe the Barkley kickstarter.

Verge article is here:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/28/3701158/tale-of-games-charles-barkley-rpg-sequel?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Pledged to Barkley, but I'm enough of a consumer whore to pledge more for better rewards. Öet's see if they add new tiers and stuff.
They just need to offer something for a guy that doesn't have dozens of love pillow cases already.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quarex posted:

OOOH BARKLEY WOOO now, to make sure I do not EvilMeira my paycheck away. Edit: That may be the best $1,000 reward tier in history. Well all right if I were being honest I would say Wasteland 2's is better, but seriously, that is great.

"Looking like a really lovely game" aside, I saw this game mentioned twice in my feed today, once by Brian Fargo~! mentioning its creator as a "very bright strategy game designer," which seems promising, and once by another of my friends saying "hey, support my awesomely talented friend's game!" so obviously he is either good at viral marketing or there is something going on here.

You're presuming then that I just back stuff randomly and have already pledged to this then? Not that you're wrong, or anything.

Can't afford the higher tiers, but I certainly hope this little forum of ours can go about ten times the set goal, if only to confuse ToG and hence create an even more bizarre and awesome title.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Quarex posted:

Well, I've been following Telepath Tactics for a rather long time, watched the development videos, stuff like that. I really like the direction the combat is going, and that's more than enough for me to spend $10. I also happen to - well, not exactly like - but rather be neutral on the game's looks. I'm not really picky about the looks; it may look like a flash game, it may not - it could be ascii for all I care. I like the underlying mechanics, I like the way combat plays out in some of the previous videos the developer released earlier, and it just always looked like a very solid project to me. So there's that.

I'm also backing Barkley 2 of course. Hell yeah. Rock on, cboyardee!

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 28, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Only $100 for a Cyberdwarf bodypillow? Are manufacturing + shipping costs going to bankrupt Tales of Game's Studios?

edit: ahaha, I hadn't read all the tiers. Someone pledged at the "pretend to be Tales of Game's during an interview with the press" level. Everything about this pitch is hilarious.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Good lord. It's already hit $15k.

Shut Up And Take My Money: Gaiden indeed.

EDIT: This isn't a game, but it's game-related and cool. Someone is making a giant LEGO mural of the Monkey Island title screen for charity. He's making zero money off of it, this is just (almost) how much it costs for that ridiculous an amount of LEGO.

"I'm a grown man on the internet begging for money to buy thousands and thousands of children's toys that I'm not even going to play with" is pretty much the best line ever uttered in a Kickstarter.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 29, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fwoderwick posted:

Man, Dizzy's got no chance.

Clearly in these times of austerity, no one can afford to have a soul.

You know, I was on board for this one... until the twins went on an interview on some big site like Eurogamer or whatever to explain why they needed so much money. Turns out they have a 200 people company. They make iOS games. They employ 200 people. 200 people to make iOS games.

No, I'm sorry, I'm not going to support your absurdities. Learn how to trim fat in your company and how to make a good product instead of just relying on nostalgia to pay all those people.

And this is more awesome than it has any right to be. I'm really happy there are crazy people like this guy in the world. It certainly makes it a much more interesting place.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: This isn't a game, but it's game-related and cool. Someone is making a giant LEGO mural of the Monkey Island title screen for charity. He's making zero money off of it, this is just (almost) how much it costs for that ridiculous an amount of LEGO.

"I'm a grown man on the internet begging for money to buy thousands and thousands of children's toys that I'm not even going to play with" is pretty much the best line ever uttered in a Kickstarter.

Will probably drop some money on this but it's a little weird that he's being cagey about which charity he's donating to. But it's probably just Child's Play anyway.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Oh dear god I'm seriously contemplating pledging $300 to this. I COULD BE PART OF THE GAME FOREVER.

I...I could be canon.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It'll be funny if we end up with a half million dollar sequel or something.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Al! posted:

Will probably drop some money on this but it's a little weird that he's being cagey about which charity he's donating to. But it's probably just Child's Play anyway.
It's probably the charity that doesn't want him using their name to raise funds since they're not running the project.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

gently caress, I've donated to way too many kickstarters, but I'll have to toss some money at the Barkley RPG sequel.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 29, 2012

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Al! posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun put out a pretty good article this morning detailing the status of various successful Kickstarter games, especially paying attention to the release dates they gave. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/28/the-kickstarter-successes-where-are-they-now/#more-133320

I noticed this line in the article:

quote:

However, at the same time creators are legally obliged to fulfil their promises, or make complete refunds to backers who do not receive what they paid for.

Is this true? I thought one of the biggest issues with Kickstarter was that there was no real way to enforce the promises made by the projects? After all, it's a crowdfunding site and haven't the Kickstarter admins tried to emphasise that the site should not be used solely for things like pre-orders and that people should give money to projects they believe in, not because they want some swag from it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Quarex posted:

You could check out his previous game:

http://sinisterdesign.net/products/telepath-rpg-servants-of-god/

speng31b
May 8, 2010

cyberia posted:

Is this true? I thought one of the biggest issues with Kickstarter was that there was no real way to enforce the promises made by the projects? After all, it's a crowdfunding site and haven't the Kickstarter admins tried to emphasise that the site should not be used solely for things like pre-orders and that people should give money to projects they believe in, not because they want some swag from it?

They are legally obliged to fulfill all backer rewards, and most games include a digital copy as one of the lowest-tier backer rewards, which means that if the game doesn't coalesce refunds are required. From Kickstarter itself:

Kickstarter posted:

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?

Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.

Of course, as far as I am aware this has not actually been legally tested yet. It will be interesting to see how it pans out in a real-life situation.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 29, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The easy answer is that it isn't settled law, probably. It's a pretty new phenomenon, it will probably take a company that made a good faith attempt at delivering the product failing and someone suing for their money back to see how the Kickstarter agreement holds up.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

cyberia posted:

I noticed this line in the article:

It's sort of true. Creators are probably legally required to fulfill what they set out to do with the money, and that generally would include rewards. It's not a pre-order or exchange for services, but it's also not a blind donation, it's a pledge with an expected outcome from the money collected. On the other hand, Kickstarter is not a party to this contract so good luck filing your class action suit against the person who doesn't fulfill their stated objectives. Especially since, unless it's an outright scam, a reasonable accounting of the squandered money, or a mediocre half-finished "game" would probably get them off the hook.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shalinor posted:

The $1000 reward is quite possibly the best Kickstarter reward I've seen.
Also the fact that for $10,000 you get to pay for lunch with a picture of the developers.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
If someone makes a banner ad, I'll buy it.
Edit: I should probably post that in the thread for the game.

dirby fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 29, 2012

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

So uh, Bill Nye is making a game on Kickstarter. Their pitch really doesn't show us much but it looks like you can control a bird to explore an island or some other place on the ocean. Flying around will demonstrate the principles of aerodynamics and flight. I don't think it comes with the gigantic wing thingy though.

quote:

A desalination Albatross can drink from the ocean! Drink ocean water to survive and watch as you shot the salt out of your nose

Also at a certain tier, you get a Bill Nye bowtie for your bird to wear. If only I had an iPad :smith:

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 29, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I loving love birds and bill nye and that game sounds AMAZING but I have no ipad.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

Turns out they have a 200 people company. They make iOS games. They employ 200 people. 200 people to make iOS games.
Blitz Games Studios make more than just iOS games and the company is split in to many teams, they release a lot of games and have been in business for decades.

You don't keep a 200 man game studio going since 1990 by being poo poo at business, so "trim the fat at your company" is a retardedly goony "I know how to run your company best" thing to say.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Still, the amount of money they're asking for to make a sidescroller seems excessive compared to previous kickstarters for similar games. Or even compared to other games period, they want 1/4 of what Project Eternity got and that's going to be like an 80 hour RPG.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

I was rooting for them right up until that writing update. I hope they fire that awful hack they found and hire someone who's written things other then NWN quest dialogue. Or at least seek the editorial opinion of someone who's read a book that doesn't have a big-breasted lady barbarian in a metal bikini on the cover.

Yea, that was what made me pull my pledge. A pity, as the engine looks good but it's starting to look like another Tresspasser, excellent in-game tech dragged down by a lovely game.

Al! posted:

Also I feel bad for the Xenonauts guys now that a really good XCOM game has come out.

Really? If anything, XCOM helped Xenonauts because a lot of the previews about XCOM mentioned Xenonauts. Free publicity baby! Although given that it's XCOM it'll probalby end up with the Xenonaut studio burning down :xcom:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

FreakyZoid posted:

You don't keep a 200 man game studio going since 1990 by being poo poo at business, so "trim the fat at your company" is a retardedly goony "I know how to run your company best" thing to say.

That's their justification on why they need so much money, not mine. The article in question.

quote:

At first glance it sounds like a lot of money to develop a game. (...) Our company, Blitz Games Studios, is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes, employing over 200 talented and creative people. (...) At its very simplest the cost of making any game is a combination of content, people and time. We believe that £350,000 is a realistic amount that reflects the number of people, the amount of time, and the amount of content we want to dedicate to Dizzy Returns.

And yet:

quote:

The Olivers said Blitz is assembling a team of at least 12 people to work on the game for six months.

As far as I see, they spend the interview justifying the costs based on the amount of people and time. But in the end 12 people will suffice. That felt contradictory to me, as if this nostalgia-fueled Kickstarter serves to pay other expenses. And of course this might be an entirely baseless accusation, but I would personally prefer to stay away from their project.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Saoshyant posted:

As far as I see, they spend the interview justifying the costs based on the amount of people and time. But in the end 12 people will suffice.

Hiring a combination of twelve programmers, artists and game designers for six months will easily come to £200,000 in salaries. That's before you allow for infrastructure, any equipment they need to purchase or replace, and manufacture of the final product. £350,000 is very believable as a total cost for a six month development cycle on a professional project.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Jedit posted:

Hiring a combination of twelve programmers, artists and game designers for six months will easily come to £200,000 in salaries. That's before you allow for infrastructure, any equipment they need to purchase or replace, and manufacture of the final product. £350,000 is very believable as a total cost for a six month development cycle on a professional project.

Yeah, for twelve professional programmers/etc that's actually pretty cheap.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Saoshyant posted:

That's their justification on why they need so much money, not mine. The article in question.

And yet:

As far as I see, they spend the interview justifying the costs based on the amount of people and time. But in the end 12 people will suffice. That felt contradictory to me, as if this nostalgia-fueled Kickstarter serves to pay other expenses. And of course this might be an entirely baseless accusation, but I would personally prefer to stay away from their project.

$350,000, paying 12 people is only $29,166.66 each, thats enough to pay 12 professional developers for 6 months, considering the average developer gets between $50,000 - $70,000 a year on salary. Just because they have a Kickstarter doesn't mean that they want to take a huge pay-cut for the next year.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

LumberingTroll posted:

$350,000, paying 12 people is only $29,166.66 each, thats enough to pay 12 professional developers for 6 months, considering the average developer gets between $50,000 - $70,000 a year on salary. Just because they have a Kickstarter doesn't mean that they want to take a huge pay-cut for the next year.

*cough* dollarsandpounds *cough*

I remember reading an estimate during the P:E drive that a developer-year costs about $100k all-in, when you count benefits and overhead. By that estimate 12 devs for 6 months comes to £360k.

For comparison, P:E is running ~30 people for 18 months on $4.1 million, which comes to $90k per developer-year.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

British pounds. That's 561,700 in American dollars, an average of $4,500 (£2800) paid monthly per person assuming the £200,000 salary-only figure presented earlier. What am I saying is that I'd like to work in the UK.

coffeetable posted:

For comparison, P:E is running ~30 people for 18 months on $4.1 million, which comes to $90k per developer-year.

This is not a good comparison. P:E went way over their goal, which means they intend to do more, which means they will hire more people, diluting that money. I doubt there would suddenly be raises for everyone because their KS did so well.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 29, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Saoshyant posted:

This is not a good comparison. P:E went way over their goal, which means they intend to do more, which means they will hire more people, diluting that money. I doubt there would suddenly be raises for everyone because their KS did so well.

No, that's the team size decided on after the drive had finished.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Two hundred employees, really? A company that size shouldn't have any trouble getting a loan or other investment, based on their previous successes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Saoshyant posted:

British pounds. That's 561,700 in American dollars, an average of $4,500 (£2800) paid monthly per person assuming the £200,000 salary-only figure presented earlier. What am I saying is that I'd like to work in the UK.
You're not calculating overhead. In the US, that $100k per employee standard is meant to lump in facilities cost, insurance, benefits and assorted sundries, but all in a nice per-employee number that looks good and clean on a pitch document. Employer costs in the UK would similarly be way more than what each employee gets paid in the end.

... and even then, $4500/mo gross isn't actually huge for game dev. That's at or below entry level salary for a programmer. Further, I'd imagine that that amounts to way less in the UK, given their higher taxes being taken out before the employee actually gets the money.

(Basically - games are expensive, when the studios doing them have to pay their people industry standard wages)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 29, 2012