Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

jrodefeld posted:

I just personally don't want the government involved in my heterosexual relationships. I would assume at least some gay couples feel the same way.

No, it's just you. I actually love this fact for this often gets thrown out by straight libertarians who ironically have no problem getting a marriage certificate when it's for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

platedlizard posted:

I like how you apparently think that "taking the government out of marriage" is somehow easier and less controversial than making marriage equality the norm.

By the way, most of the laws and rules and regulations governing marriage are there to protect the married couple's rights, both as a unit and as individuals within a contract, not hinder them as you seem to think. Things like property rights, joint accounts, being able to make medical decisions for one another, not being forced to testify against a spouse, tax deductions, the legal guardianship of children, and much, much more. Most married couples understand this, and would probably scream bloody murder if someone tried to take their government-protected rights away from them.

And what is preventing people drafting contracts that accomplish all these things? Being able to make medical decisions for one another, legal guardianship of children and any other issue you might raise can easily be accomplished through conventional contracts.

In fact, I would suspect that churches and people that specialize in marrying couples would quite easily create standard contract templates that accomplish everything that current marriage licenses do and most people would not notice the change.

The only difference is that the government would not be defining marriage as any specific thing. Culture and tradition will dictate the standard marriage contract and gay marriage contracts will likely be much the same.

But we simply won't need any widespread consensus on a single definition of marriage. Marriages can be different for different cultures and peoples.

I don't see why this would be very difficult.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought they got rid of gay panic defense. D:

He was eventually plead guilty as they were gearing up for a 2nd trial and got 21 years, though they dropped the hate crime enhancement.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/brandon-mcinerney-school-criticized-by-both-sides-in-gay-teen-slaying-case.html

quote:

And what is preventing people drafting contracts that accomplish all these things?

Because nobody wants that except crazy libertarians, most of whom are usually straight, white men whose right to marriage is already guaranteed.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 2, 2012

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jrodefeld posted:

And what is preventing people drafting contracts that accomplish all these things? Being able to make medical decisions for one another, legal guardianship of children and any other issue you might raise can easily be accomplished through conventional contracts.

Except that hospitals, CPS, et cetera won't recognize private contracts, especially in bigoted areas; after all, you yourself said "you can't legislate away homophobia".

EDIT: What he said VVVVV

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 2, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

CheesyDog posted:

If only there were some sort of standard contract that could be written up for people wanting to enter a legal relationship with a romantic partner. Some sort of agreement that any two consenting adults could sign designating their consent to the arrangement. Hell, to solve potential legal issues that might arise around financial or other concerns, some sort of preemptive judicial review could take place, so that anyone who signed such an agreement would not have to hash out these details individually but could collectively refer to a body of case law and a legal framework when questions regarding the contract come up.

Some sort of, I don't know, certificate, or license, that wraps up all these things together and says to any third party "Hey, we have a legal relationship identical what some people might call a 'marriage'".

Really, that's not even the biggest part of the whole thing. It's possible to go to a lawyer and get contracts drawn up between two people, and although that shuts out poor people, if that were all it took to get something equivalent to marriage then Lambda Legal or a similar organization could probably hammer out boilerplate civil union contracts that covered most simple situations.

But, as plenty of gay folks in states without marriage equality well know, that doesn't necessarily mean anything to other people. Unless you go around to every hospital in the area with a "please recognize our relationship" form, and some kind of leverage to get them to sign it, it's not going to mean much when your partner's in the hospital and you don't want to deal with confidentiality issues to know whether they're even alive. A judge isn't going to give a poo poo about your relationship contract when they make a decision about spousal privilege. An employer isn't going to spend thousands of bucks to cover your not-legally-a-spouse under your healthcare benefits. The biggest part of marriage is having legal recognition of your relationship that's enforceable elsewhere.

jrodefeld posted:

And what state law is going to allow someone to beat you to death and get away with the excuse that you were hitting on them? That is absurd. No one would tolerate that.

Yeah I mean hate crimes against LGBT people are always vigorously pursued by local police, right? I mean, they're against the law. Even when some backwoods cop thinks that the drat homo totally had it coming. Any kind of oversight is just needless government getting in that officer's life, telling them how to do their job, when they should get to make the decision to let people just go free because they've got the right morals and go to the right church.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 2, 2012

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

evilweasel posted:

It does now that we've rejected the libertarian "nullification" version of the constitution. Before the 14th though, they had those exact rights.

You are completely wrong about nullification. Nullification is a perfectly valid tool to reject unconstitutional federal laws. Given that the Bill of Rights is part of the Constitution, the States have no right to nullify the right to free speech for example.

Now what about California nullifying the clearly unconstitutional federal drug war and saying explicitly that we will not tolerate you raiding our medical marijuana dispensaries that we have rightly legalized at the state level.

THAT is a fair use of nullification. It is a completely valid concept and has uses today.

Are you really comfortable with having absolutely no way to fight against federal oppression?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jrodefeld posted:

In fact, I would suspect that churches and people that specialize in marrying couples would quite easily create standard contract templates that accomplish everything that current marriage licenses do and most people would not notice the change.

The only difference is that the government would not be defining marriage as any specific thing. Culture and tradition will dictate the standard marriage contract and gay marriage contracts will likely be much the same.

But we simply won't need any widespread consensus on a single definition of marriage. Marriages can be different for different cultures and peoples.

I don't see why this would be very difficult.

Let's turn this around: why can't marriage come with a default, wide set of legal and financial rights that, if a couple is uncomfortable with, they can place restrictions (or enhance) with individual legal agreements?

I bought a car the other day, and was able to sign a standard set of transfer paperwork that covered all of the legal rights that both myself and the seller might be concerned about. If I had had any special concerns, we could have gone through the expense of drafting up an individual contract that would have had to be reviewed by both of our lawyers, but since we were going with a default, no special-circumstances sell we were able to take advantage of something that saved everyone time, money, and energy and left everyone with knowledge of their legal rights in the transaction.

What you're advocating is making people choose from dozens or hundreds of different interpretations of a "contract" that most people do not want to change and will never have a reason to alter from the standard. And you're ignoring the fact that those few that DO want to alter the contract ALREADY CAN in the form of prenups.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

jrodefeld posted:

You are completely wrong about nullification. Nullification is a perfectly valid tool to reject unconstitutional federal laws. Given that the Bill of Rights is part of the Constitution, the States have no right to nullify the right to free speech for example.

The Bill of Rights legally only applied to the federal government at first :ssh: Activist judges in the 20th century started to decide the 14th amendment also meant the Bill of Rights applied to the states. Here, wikipedia has a good article on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporation_of_the_Bill_of_Rights

quote:

THAT is a fair use of nullification. It is a completely valid concept and has uses today.

This isn't really nullification at all. This doesn't work like jury nullification where one person can have charged dropped. This is just states deciding to boycott a federal law. Weed is still illegal on the federal level and they can, and often do, still enforce that fact inside of said states.

quote:

Are you really comfortable with having absolutely no way to fight against federal oppression?

It's called voting, as well as activist judges most libertarians hate.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

drat, this thread blew up while I was at work

jrodefeld posted:

And, I might be idealistic and blind to the pockets of racism that still exist in this country, but I don't think that even Alabama and Mississippi would bring back segregation even if the federal government didn't stop them.

The thing is, that in these and similar states, segregation is still very much a real thing. Its just more covert and off the books now.

Amused to Death posted:

Getting the government out of marriage is a stupid goal in of itself because marriage has always been a civil affair

THIS. It has always really annoyed me how certain christian groups seem to believe that they somehow invented the concept.

jrodefeld posted:

By the way, the Civil War was NOT fought over slavery.

Yeah, I went to public school in Georgia and unfortunately was also exposed to this bullshit revisionist version of the civil war, "Its totally not about slavery, it was about mercantilism you guys!"

jrodefeld posted:

I think you are really stretching to find a scenario where my argument falls apart.

I think you are really naive if you think his example is "stretching"

Lightning Knight posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought they got rid of gay panic defense. D:

Depends on where in the country you're trying to argue it

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 2, 2012

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Amused to Death posted:

Oh my god, at first I was just going to laugh at mises links, but you actually linked to FreeRepublic, a board full of crazy, seething racists. I guess you didn't see the Freep thread a few below this to know what exactly we think of FreeRepublic.

Why would you laugh at Mises? He was only the greatest economist of the twentieth century and will there is no doubt that the site contains libertarian writings, the resources and quality of the research contained in that site is extremely impressive and far outdoes most other resources I have encountered.

Secondly, I know nothing about FreeRepublic but I know a great deal about Lysander Spooner. Spooner was one of the most important and influential abolitionists of the 19th century and considering that page contains mainly quotes from Spooner a known abolitionist, your opinions on the site are irrelevent.

What is your impression of Lysander Spooner's critique of Lincoln and the Civil War? He was a far more consistent and principled opponent of slavery that Lincoln ever was.

Just out of curiosity, what evidence do you have that FreeRepublic is full of racists? Even if it was, the evidence and quotes contained in that specific article are completely valid.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nullification is not an issue here. DOMA does not tell states what they can or can't do. It exempts them from mandated recognition of out of state contracts.

Legalizing same sex marriage in your state or recognizing out of state same sex marriages is not flouting federal law.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Just out of curiosity, what evidence do you have that FreeRepublic is full of racists? Even if it was, the evidence and quotes contained in that specific article are completely valid.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415552

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a helpful 21,000 posts regarding Freep racism: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415552

Don't worry, we'll wait for you while you get caught up.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

jrodefeld posted:

Why would you laugh at Mises?

Regardless of what I think of Mises the person, Mises.org is not Ludwig von Mises. To sum up Mises.org, well, someone pull up that article where one of the authors there was arguing children should be allowed to legally be sold since they're their parents property.

quote:

What is your impression of Lysander Spooner's critique of Lincoln and the Civil War? He was a far more consistent and principled opponent of slavery that Lincoln ever was.

I didn't read it because it was on Freep, which basically is telling enough. There's the old saying even a broken clock is right twice a day. Yeah Freep doesn't even get that. Why is Freep terrible? Here's 540 pages of why
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415552
It's also a good expose of why the Tea Party is terrible since this is the Tea Party in private essentially.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

Regardless of what I think of Mises, Mises.org is not Ludwig von Mises. To sum up Mises.org, well, someone pull up that article where one of the authors there was arguing children should be allowed to legally be sold since they're their parents property.

You mean the Murray Rothbard quote:

quote:

Now if a parent may own his child (within the framework of non-aggression and runaway-freedom), then he may also transfer that ownership to someone else. He may give the child out for adoption, or he may sell the rights to the child in a voluntary contract. In short, we must face the fact that the purely free society will have a flourishing free market in children. Superficially, this sounds monstrous and inhuman. But closer thought will reveal the superior humanism of such a market. For we must realize that there is a market for children now, but that since the government prohibits sale of children at a price, the parents may now only give their children away to a licensed adoption agency free of charge.[12] This means that we now indeed have a child-market, but that the government enforces a maximum price control of zero, and restricts the market to a few privileged and therefore monopolistic agencies. The result has been a typical market where the price of the commodity is held by government far below the free-market price: an enormous “shortage” of the good. The demand for babies and children is usually far greater than the supply, and hence we see daily tragedies of adults denied the joys of adopting children by prying and tyrannical adoption agencies. In fact, we find a large unsatisfied demand by adults and couples for children, along with a large number of surplus and unwanted babies neglected or maltreated by their parents. Allowing a free market in children would eliminate this imbalance, and would allow for an allocation of babies and children away from parents who dislike or do not care for their children, and toward foster parents who deeply desire such children. Everyone involved: the natural parents, the children, and the foster parents purchasing the children, would be better off in this sort of society.[13]

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

jrodefeld posted:

Nobody who knows anything about the Civil War thinks that abolition was Lincoln's main reason for the prosecution of the war. But the terrible fear of abolition which gripped the South absolutely was their reason for beginning the war. I noticed earlier that you claimed Lincoln started the Civil War, which is patently false, since the first attack on Fort Sumter (an indirect one: the attack on its resupply ship) and the declaration of secession of South Carolina occurred before Lincoln's inauguration.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

:allears:

The logical end conclusion of Austrian economics in Libertarianville

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

dorquemada posted:

Libertarians are loving stupid man-children that are emotionally crippled in the empathy department and often have severe cognitive deficits that should preclude them from holding high office.

That said, I'll fight any attempt to disenfranchise libertarians, any attempt to round them up or expel them, or deny them civil rights. My commitment to the principles set forth in the Constitution is much stronger than my own personal biases.

Now, pretend I'm Abraham Lincoln and was talking about blacks instead of libertarians. Personal racism in no way, shape, or form takes away from what he did with the Civil war and the Emancipation Proclamation. In fact, it makes his actions even more impressive.

Are you aware that The Emancipation Proclamation didn't free a single slave?

It was little more than a battle strategy as it applied only to states controlled by the Confederacy. He did it to punish the confederacy. All the while he tolerated slavery in many Northern states.

This is just reality. And the truth about the thirteenth amendment is that Lincoln did NOT champion its passage.

Are you at all familiar with this book:

"Forced into Glory: Abraham Lincoln's White Dream", by Lerone Bennett, Jr

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0874850851?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0874850851&linkCode=xm2&tag=lewrockwell11

And before you go into a tirade about the author being a white supremacist, Lerone Bennett, Jr is a black man who used to be executive editor of Ebony magazine.

You should definitely read it because he eloquently destroys the fiction you are putting forward about Abraham Lincoln.

You also should read this article: http://lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo245.html

Basically, the truth is that it is the other Senators that had to put political pressure on Lincoln to pass the thirteenth amendment. And until his dying day, he had a fantasy to deport every single black person back to Africa.

Here is an article about that:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8319858/Abraham-Lincoln-wanted-to-deport-slaves-to-new-colonies.html

I am obviously thrilled and overjoyed that the thirteenth amendment was passed but Lincoln was clearly a reprehensible person that cannot be defended for his atrocious violations of liberties and his actions as president and during the war.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

CheesyDog posted:

Repeating from earlier in the thread: The other thing is that you're still ignoring the issues of tax credits, hospital and jail visitation rights, child custody, the right to adopt...

Why can all this not be written into a contract?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Amused to Death posted:

He was eventually plead guilty as they were gearing up for a 2nd trial and got 21 years, though they dropped the hate crime enhancement.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/brandon-mcinerney-school-criticized-by-both-sides-in-gay-teen-slaying-case.html

Ok, well at last that story didn't end with the "and he got away with it too" I thought it would.

quote:

Depends on where in the country you're trying to argue it

Ugh why America? :eng99:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Because you'd have to get the Government, the Hospitals, the Jails, the Child Protective Services, et al, to ALL agree to that contract.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

jrodefeld posted:

Secondly, I know nothing about FreeRepublic but I know a great deal about Lysander Spooner. Spooner was one of the most important and influential abolitionists of the 19th century and considering that page contains mainly quotes from Spooner a known abolitionist, your opinions on the site are irrelevent.

Spooner was an abolitionist, and happened to have a beef with Lincoln (and in fact pretty much all government). That does not mean that Lincoln and the North "did not care about abolishing slavery." Lincoln was a well-known abolitionist; his election was what led the core slave states to secede and attack the US. He issued the Emancipation Proclamation (which, aside from freeing the vast majority of slaves in the US, also elevated the elimination of slavery to a war goal on par with preserving the Union - something that actually undercut Spooner's main criticism of Lincoln and the Republicans in the Civil War). Lincoln later pushed the Thirteenth Amendment through Congress, where it was ratified by the northern states. Lincoln was not just an abolitionist; he was the abolitionist. He's the guy who freed the slaves. The fact that Spooner wasn't a fan of Lincoln, or government in general, does nothing to change the fact that Lincoln was the guy who freed the slaves.

ThirdPartyView posted:

You missed the other good bit!

Murray Rothbard posted:

Applying our theory to parents and children, this means that a parent does not have the right to aggress against his children, but also that the parent should not have a legal obligation to feed, clothe, or educate his children, since such obligations would entail positive acts coerced upon the parent and depriving the parent of his rights. The parent therefore may not murder or mutilate his child, and the law properly outlaws a parent from doing so. But the parent should have the legal right not to feed the child, i.e., to allow it to die.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that Rothbard wasn't just an author they hired to write potentially controversial pieces, or something. He held the position of vice president at the von Mises institute for a long time, and was right there alongside Rockwell and Hayek when it was founded.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jrodefeld posted:

Oh woweee I'll just go write myself some tax credits right now...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CheesyDog posted:

Oh woweee I'll just go write myself some tax credits right now...

"Well gawrsh what's wrong with that? Then we can defund the government non-violently and create Galt's gulch a utopia! :downs:"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DoctorWhat posted:

Because you'd have to get the Government, the Hospitals, the Jails, the Child Protective Services, et al, to ALL agree to that contract.

Put another way:
Say you're a gay dude, and your would-be husband is terribly injured, lying in a hospital bed wondering if he's gonna die alone. You want to visit him. You have a contract wherein he says "I want this dude to be able to visit me in the hospital." What steps do you take to visit him?

Do you walk in the door and hand the contract to the receptionist? If so, what do you expect the receptionist to do?

Do you expect the government to have notified hospitals that such contracts must be honored? If so, how is this not just marriage by a different name?

If neither of these, then what?

This isn't some gotcha, and these aren't rhetorical questions. I don't understand what kind of system you're envisioning when you suggest that same-sex couples write up a contract.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

Wha...because...it'd involve the government and multiple groups such as adoption agencies and hospitals to all sign the contract too?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Glitterbomber posted:

Wha...because...it'd involve the government and multiple groups such as adoption agencies and hospitals to all sign the contract too?

Gee if only there was some way to know that the government officially and legally recognizes your relationship.

Oh well, better get back to ending civil marriage!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So in an ideal libertarian system, transfer of child custody can be done with just a contract without the involvement of any other laws and government agencies?

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Well, I certainly didn't agree with almost anything I saw written on that link.

I am obviously not a conservative. I am a leftist, antiwar libertarian. I looked for a link featuring quotes by Lysander Spooner, who I have read extensively and I admire because he was one of the early libertarian abolitionists who actually paved the way for the freeing of the slaves.

It was his strong belief that Lincoln was a hypocrite on this issue and that the Civil War could have been avoided.

I didn't know FreeRepublic was such a known entity around here and was so loathed. I don't advocate any other positions, but I DO support the quotes of Lysander Spooner.

I would appreciate if you would respond to the words of Spooner rather than launching into a tirade about FreeRepublic.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

jrodefeld posted:

Basically, the truth is that it is the other Senators that had to put political pressure on Lincoln to pass the thirteenth amendment. And until his dying day, he had a fantasy to deport every single black person back to Africa.

Here is an article about that:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8319858/Abraham-Lincoln-wanted-to-deport-slaves-to-new-colonies.html

I am obviously thrilled and overjoyed that the thirteenth amendment was passed but Lincoln was clearly a reprehensible person that cannot be defended for his atrocious violations of liberties and his actions as president and during the war.

:lol: How'd you do in high school civics? If Lincoln didn't like the Thirteenth Amendment for some reason (say, despite his publicly held and widely known abolitionist views he was a secret supporter of slavery) he couldn't have done poo poo about it. There would have been no reason to put political pressure on him, because the President doesn't have any direct input on the amendment process. All he or she can do is work the bully pulpit for one side or the other. And, while Lincoln didn't do much for the Thirteenth in the heavily Republican Senate, he whipped like crazy for it in the House. The people who were actually there said as much. You are peddling a fantasy that paints Lincoln as a racist and slaver in an effort to excuse the people who fought the bloodiest war in American history to preserve their "right" to own other human beings.

I'll leave you with the words of Frederick Douglass, whose credentials as an abolitionist, I hope, are not in doubt:

Frederick Douglass, in memory of Abraham Lincoln, posted:

Though Mr. Lincoln shared the prejudices of his white fellow-countrymen against the Negro, it is hardly necessary to say that in his heart of hearts he loathed and hated slavery. The man who could say, "Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war shall soon pass away, yet if God wills it continue till all the wealth piled by two hundred years of bondage shall have been wasted, and each drop of blood drawn by the lash shall have been paid for by one drawn by the sword, the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether," gives all needed proof of his feeling on the subject of slavery. He was willing, while the South was loyal, that it should have its pound of flesh, because he thought that it was so nominated in the bond; but farther than this no earthly power could make him go.

Fellow-citizens, whatever else in this world may be partial, unjust, and uncertain, time, time! is impartial, just, and certain in its action. In the realm of mind, as well as in the realm of matter, it is a great worker, and often works wonders. The honest and comprehensive statesman, clearly discerning the needs of his country, and earnestly endeavoring to do his whole duty, though covered and blistered with reproaches, may safely leave his course to the silent judgment of time. Few great public men have ever been the victims of fiercer denunciation than Abraham Lincoln was during his administration. He was often wounded in the house of his friends. Reproaches came thick and fast upon him from within and from without, and from opposite quarters. He was assailed by Abolitionists; he was assailed by slave-holders; he was assailed by the men who were for peace at any price; he was assailed by those who were for a more vigorous prosecution of the war; he was assailed for not making the war an abolition war; and he was bitterly assailed for making the war an abolition war.

But now behold the change: the judgment of the present hour is, that taking him for all in all, measuring the tremendous magnitude of the work before him, considering the necessary means to ends, and surveying the end from the beginning, infinite wisdom has seldom sent any man into the world better fitted for his mission than Abraham Lincoln.
[...]
Fellow-citizens, I end, as I began, with congratulations. We have done a good work for our race today. In doing honor to the memory of our friend and liberator, we have been doing highest honors to ourselves and those who come after us; we have been fastening ourselves to a name and fame imperishable and immortal; we have also been defending ourselves from a blighting scandal. When now it shall be said that the colored man is soulless, that he has no appreciation of benefits or benefactors; when the foul reproach of ingratitude is hurled at us, and it is attempted to scourge us beyond the range of human brotherhood, we may calmly point to the monument we have this day erected to the memory of Abraham Lincoln.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jrodefeld posted:

I am obviously not a conservative. I am a leftist, antiwar libertarian.

Read as: I'm a Paulite.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Alright, Lysander Spooner was an insane anarchist who's main beef with Lincoln was that his lovely mail company was 'forced' out of business by the federal mail system, and he fully supported the confederacy seceding because of 'consent to be governed'. He legitimately believed the rights of some racists in power trumped the rights of the people within, and that Davis was totally a swell guy for bravely standing up for his right to refuse to be governed, while plunging his people into poverty and war.

He was also a violent abolitionist of the stripe of 'you negroes should go revolt more, that doesn't end horribly for the black population, right? I'll hang here and write another essay...'

I think he was also super mad that college students had a reduced legal internship because, you know, they had an actual education behind them.

So yea, Spooner, great dude.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

ThirdPartyView posted:

You know, I really don't see how this is that controversial. I really like Murray Rothbard and this quote is obviously him exploring the outer reaches of the libertarian philosophy.

But honestly, if this idea was put into practice, would the outcome for unwanted children be better or worse? I would suggest it might be much better.

So as callous as it appears to sound, the logical implications would imply that a market for children who would otherwise be forced to spend years at adoption agencies would find a suitable home and parents who will love and raise the child. If it provides better outcomes for parents and especially the children, I don't see the problem.

I haven't given this much thought, but if that is the best attempt to denigrate the writings at Mises.org then it is not very persuasive.

The goal of writers like Rothbard is to get you to think about novel solutions to problems. You might disagree with some of his proposals but it will compel you to think like an economist and effectively evaluate a situation in society.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

You know, I really don't see how this is that controversial. I really like Murray Rothbard and this quote is obviously him exploring the outer reaches of the libertarian philosophy.

But honestly, if this idea was put into practice, would the outcome for unwanted children be better or worse? I would suggest it might be much better.

So as callous as it appears to sound, the logical implications would imply that a market for children who would otherwise be forced to spend years at adoption agencies would find a suitable home and parents who will love and raise the child. If it provides better outcomes for parents and especially the children, I don't see the problem.

I haven't given this much thought, but if that is the best attempt to denigrate the writings at Mises.org then it is not very persuasive.

The goal of writers like Rothbard is to get you to think about novel solutions to problems. You might disagree with some of his proposals but it will compel you to think like an economist and effectively evaluate a situation in society.

ACKNOWLEDGE THE WHOLE CONTRACT THING WE JUST POSTED LIKE TEN TIMES ABOUT GAAAH.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jrodefeld posted:

I've got to say, usually trolls tip their hand much earlier than this. Good work, man.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Glitterbomber posted:

Alright, Lysander Spooner was an insane anarchist who's main beef with Lincoln was that his lovely mail company was 'forced' out of business by the federal mail system, and he fully supported the confederacy seceding because of 'consent to be governed'. He legitimately believed the rights of some racists in power trumped the rights of the people within, and that Davis was totally a swell guy for bravely standing up for his right to refuse to be governed, while plunging his people into poverty and war.

He was also a violent abolitionist of the stripe of 'you negroes should go revolt more, that doesn't end horribly for the black population, right? I'll hang here and write another essay...'

I think he was also super mad that college students had a reduced legal internship because, you know, they had an actual education behind them.

So yea, Spooner, great dude.

drat, beaten to the punch. :golfclap:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

jrodefeld posted:

jrodefeld, noted supporter of being able to buy and sell children.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Amused to Death posted:

jrodefeld, noted supporter of being able to buy and sell children.

"The invisible hand will make sure all children - what? We tried that in Britain and some guy named Dickens bitched us out for it? Nonsense! I'm sure it'll work itself out; these things always do."

Edit: \/\/\/ I love when that happens. Good on you.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 2, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

drat, beaten to the punch. :golfclap:

It was perfect timing, just the other day I had some stupid rear end anarchist tell me how great Lysander Spooner was, so I looked up how loving insane and dumb he was, so this was just the planets aligning to let me call someone dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

"The invisible hand will make sure all children - what? We tried that in Britain and some guy named Dickens bitched us out for it? Nonsense! I'm sure it'll work itself out; these things always do."

No, you see, the children will write tax credits into their purchase contracts, meaning that whoever buys them will get massive tax breaks and they'll all go live in a giant mansion and everyone will get a puppy.

A FREEDOM puppy.

• Locked thread