Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Many people still can't let go of the way things were done 10 years ago. This is the reason why there are still task killers on Android, and DiskKeeper is still a product.

I don't have an SSD. Fragmentation measurably impacts my performance. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

The Dark One posted:

I don't have an SSD. Fragmentation measurably impacts my performance. :colbert:

:smith::hf::smith: Yeah... Platters for poors!

On that note, do you use a fancy defragger?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Illuminado posted:

It's not hard to add one of the many, many, components to FB2k, and I prefer it even out of the box to Winamp. The only thing I miss is being able to have Milkdrop run out of the box.
Here's the thread for that if you're interested.

I know about the plugin, but for example there is no way to get RSN files to become associated to Foobar the way Winamp can, well not without some plugin hex editing which is a little over my head. I know RSN files are just archived SPC files but I'd not change all those file types to zip's. But maybe I'll head over to that Foobar thread and ask if there is a solution, because I wanted to use Foobar like a year ago as my media player solution but if it can't play all the formats I need to, I'd rather just stick with Winamp instead of relying on multiple players having split jobs.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Im_Special posted:

I know about the plugin, but for example there is no way to get RSN files to become associated to Foobar the way Winamp can, well not without some plugin hex editing which is a little over my head. I know RSN files are just archived SPC files but I'd not change all those file types to zip's. But maybe I'll head over to that Foobar thread and ask if there is a solution, because I wanted to use Foobar like a year ago as my media player solution but if it can't play all the formats I need to, I'd rather just stick with Winamp instead of relying on multiple players having split jobs.

iirc, Foobar can handle archives fine, and from the little bit of understanding I have about RSN files, they're just archives of SPC files? Which should be supported out of the box if I'm reading this correctly.

The .spc files should be useable with this component

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Illuminado posted:

iirc, Foobar can handle archives fine, and from the little bit of understanding I have about RSN files, they're just archives of SPC files? Which should be supported out of the box if I'm reading this correctly.

The .spc files should be useable with this component

It's been about a year since I tried but the way it was then was with Winamp you could just double click the music.rsn file and it would play it like a playlist, in Foobar you had to rename the .rsn file to either .rar or .zip, then to play it you had to drag and drop the rar/zip file onto Foobar or open the rar/zip through Foobar in order to play, finally you could just unpack the rar/zip into SPC format but that defeats the purpose. What I'm after is a way for Foobar to just treat .rsn files the way Winamp dose.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Well, if you are so inclined, give it a whirl. From what I'm reading, you don't need to 'Do the .RAR trick to rename the archive' so I'm assuming it works.

Honestly I'd be shocked if it didn't given the nature of the music you're listening typically found in .SPC files and the general usership of FB2k, but I've been wrong in the past.

Edited to not sound like an rear end in a top hat.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 4, 2012

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I just updated uTorrent and now it has gross un-hideable ad crap. What's the hot, new, bullshit-free torrent client these days?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

StickFigs posted:

I just updated uTorrent and now it has gross un-hideable ad crap. What's the hot, new, bullshit-free torrent client these days?

Still uTorrent.

EDIT: Or if that's too much :effort: for you go back to your old version.

Or any version. (right-hand side)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 4, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

StickFigs posted:

http://www.qbittorrent.org/

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
When I try to open some types of compressed files in 7-zip from e.g. an explorer context menu, I get the irritating response "Incorrect command line". Googling around, I see that the problem may be that some file extensions are erroneously set up to open by default in 7-zip's command-line utility instead of in its GUI. OK, so I need to change the default behaviour for certain file types. But the particular file I'm trying to open right now has two file extensions. It is called [filename].tar.bz2. What is its file extension? Is it .tar, .bz2, or .tar.bz2?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Hammerite posted:

When I try to open some types of compressed files in 7-zip from e.g. an explorer context menu, I get the irritating response "Incorrect command line". Googling around, I see that the problem may be that some file extensions are erroneously set up to open by default in 7-zip's command-line utility instead of in its GUI. OK, so I need to change the default behaviour for certain file types. But the particular file I'm trying to open right now has two file extensions. It is called [filename].tar.bz2. What is its file extension? Is it .tar, .bz2, or .tar.bz2?

As far as windows cares it's only the last bit. I so .bz2

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Grawl posted:

I have a truckload of CBR/CBZ files (used for comics, it are just renamed RAR/ZIP archives) and I want to mass test the archives to make sure none of them are corrupted -- as is often the case. In WinRar I can right click on a folder and select "test archived files" and it'll do this. However, it only does this for file-types it recognizes (so RAR/ZIP, not CBR/CBZ). Does anyone know a way to mass test compressed files?
I don't know how versed you are in scripting in general, but I would automate this the following way:

1) Dump a full list of all your CBR/CBZ files to a file. You can do it with the following command line (start in the root of your comic book directory):

dir /b /s *.cbr,*.cbz -> checkfiles.cmd

Next, open the resulting checkfiles.cmd file in a text editor like Notepad2, where you can prepend and append text to each line in a file (in Notepad2: mark all text, hit Alt+M). Then:

Prepend (note path to 7z.exe): "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" t "
Append: " >> status.txt

Hit enter, and you should have a usable script (.cmd file). Run it, and you will get a file called "status.txt" as output. Search in that file for the following:

Error: Can not open file as archive

... which is 7-zip's indication that something is wrong with an archive. You can see the file that's corrupt two lines above the error line.

And yeah you could automate all this in one batch script, but seriously, gently caress DOS batch file syntax, I just couldn't be bothered making it work with a for loop and all that. :argh:.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

code:
FORFILES /M *.cb? /S /C "CMD /C ^0x22C:\Program^ Files\7-Zip\7z.exe^0x22 t @path" >> status.txt
Copy in a new text file, save with the extension .cmd in the root of your comic book directory. Run from there. A file called status.txt will be generated there with the results of the tests as described by Pilsner.

It's the same thing really, I just though I'd cut out the intermediate file and all the search and replace actions.

Please note that your path to 7z.exe might be different. Don't forget to escape the spaces when editing it (add a ^ before them, as in the example).

EDIT
code:
FORFILES /M *.cb? /S /C "CMD /C ^0x22C:\Program^ Files\7-Zip\7z.exe^0x22 t @path" | FINDSTR "Processing Everything Error" > status.txt
This condenses the output somewhat.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 4, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
edit : nevermind, I figured it out. dumb.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 5, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Alright, AutoHotkey problem. I am trying to play Far Cry 3, but due to certain rebinding oddities ingame, I need to use AHK. I rebound certain problem bindings in AHK, but they aren't working near how I expected. This is the script:
code:
up::w
down::s
left::a
right:
numpaddot::lshift
rctrl::c
numpad0::space
Now, the issues. When alt-tabbing out, clicking anywhere acts like a shift+click. The numpad0::space just plain does not work. And lastly, sprinting (using the numpaddot key in place of the default leftshift) acts very sporadic, sometimes working and sometimes not. I am very new to this and know my entire problem is probably the way I wrote the script.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Flipperwaldt posted:

code:
FORFILES /M *.cb? /S /C "CMD /C ^0x22C:\Program^ Files\7-Zip\7z.exe^0x22 t @path" >> status.txt
Copy in a new text file, save with the extension .cmd in the root of your comic book directory. Run from there. A file called status.txt will be generated there with the results of the tests as described by Pilsner.

It's the same thing really, I just though I'd cut out the intermediate file and all the search and replace actions.

Please note that your path to 7z.exe might be different. Don't forget to escape the spaces when editing it (add a ^ before them, as in the example).

EDIT
code:
FORFILES /M *.cb? /S /C "CMD /C ^0x22C:\Program^ Files\7-Zip\7z.exe^0x22 t @path" | FINDSTR "Processing Everything Error" > status.txt
This condenses the output somewhat.

Thanks for the response. However, it doesn't like the directory because of the "(".

code:
FORFILES /M *.cb? /S /C "CMD /C ^0x22C:\Program^ Files^ (x86)\7-Zip\7z.exe^0x22 t @path" | FINDSTR "Processing Everything Error" > status.txt
code:
'"C:\Program Files ' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
edit:

code:
FORFILES /M *.cb? /S /C "CMD /C ^0x22C:\Program^ Files^ ^(x86)\7-Zip\7z.exe^0x22 t @path" | FINDSTR "Processing Everything Error" > status.txt
This seems to work. Let's see.

edit 2:

I'm close, but not what I want. I want 7zip to output the errors, but now it outputs everything.

Batch:

FORFILES /M *.cb? /S /C "CMD /C ^0x22C:\Program^ Files^ ^(x86)\7-Zip\7z.exe^0x22 t @path" | FINDSTR "Processing not Error" > status.txt

Output:

Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 00 - Het wrak en de miljoenen.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 01 - Koude oorlog.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 02 - Groetjes uit de 7de hemel.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 03 - Operatie zelfmoord.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 04 - Het eeuwige rijk.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 05 - Scotch malaria.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 06 - Een gril van het lot.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 07 - Falco.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 08 - Mistige jaren.cbr
Error: Can not open file as archive
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 09 - Morgane angel.cbr
Processing archive: G:\Comics\Dutch\421\421 - 10 - De Karlovdrempel.cbr

If I leave out "Processing" in the command line, I'll just get the error line, which doesn't tell me what file is the problem.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 5, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Grawl posted:

I'm close, but not what I want. I want 7zip to output the errors, but now it outputs everything.
I'm surprised you didn't need to escape the closing parenthesis as well, but if it works, allright. (For some reason I'm still on a 32bit Windows, so I couldn't verify)

I left in "Everything" basically because I thought it would be easier to script process the results if for every item there was a line with the file name and a line with the result, so you'd always know what's on an even line and what's on an odd line. Except I didn't find a built-in command that would let me find the lines with error in them and then go back one line and display only the associated filename. It's probably possible, but it would get insanely complicated really fast. I should really learn PowerShell, since it's apparently included in a standard Windows install. I imagine all this would be very easy there.

Anyway, visually it's definitely easier to parse if the success message is left out.

I'm glad I didn't have to explain every intricate detail and that you were up to some troubleshooting yourself. Can I ask why you put "not" in the search string? Is there something that you'd miss out on otherwise?

There's a Request me a Tiny App thread and also a Powershell thread if you're going to do this so often that you need something that's less quick and dirty.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Alright, AutoHotkey problem. I am trying to play Far Cry 3, but due to certain rebinding oddities ingame, I need to use AHK. I rebound certain problem bindings in AHK, but they aren't working near how I expected. This is the script:
code:
up::w
down::s
left::a
right:
numpaddot::lshift
rctrl::c
numpad0::space
Now, the issues. When alt-tabbing out, clicking anywhere acts like a shift+click. The numpad0::space just plain does not work. And lastly, sprinting (using the numpaddot key in place of the default leftshift) acts very sporadic, sometimes working and sometimes not. I am very new to this and know my entire problem is probably the way I wrote the script.

When your pressing numpaddot, it's causing the left shift button to be permanently down, that's why when you alt-tab out it's acting as if the shift key is down.

Also having shift down messes with the numpad keys, I think that's why your other code isn't working.

Capt. Morgan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 5, 2012

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm having some issues with icacls and Server 2008 R2.

On a bunch of webservers, I want to make the W3SVC* directories readable by a user account that a stat collection service runs as. No biggie, I just ran the following:

icacls E:\logs\www /grant domain\webstat:(OI)(CI)R

This SHOULD cascade those read rights down to everything under the www folder (as multiple W3SVC folders can be created)

But, Server 2008 R2 seems to like making folders with little padlock icons on them. This means that only Administrators and the original owner (in this case, SYSTEM) can read the file, and all other users can't. I tried running icacls to just give the Users group read access to the folders as well, but icacls doesn't seem able to overwrite this. There are regular folders in that dir as well, and they get the read permission applied successfully, it's only the padlocked folders that resist it.

Looking online on how to remove the padlock icon, they show people manually going to the folder properties and adding the Users group to give it read permissions. But as I have a bunch of servers to run this on, I want to do it via command line, hence icacls.

Anyone know if icacls can override this special property?

Edit:

Ok, so turns out it was more an issue with powershell and running this command remotely on servers. Powershell doesn't seem to play nice with icacls, but you can get it to work if you create a function for it and then execute that function. Ugh.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 5, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Capt. Morgan posted:

When your pressing numpaddot, it's causing the left shift button to be permanently down, that's why when you alt-tab out it's acting as if the shift key is down.

Also having shift down messes with the numpad keys, I think that's why your other code isn't working.

Oh, ok. How do I fix that?

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that
Anybody have any suggestions for a simple program that will take a series of images and make a screensaver? I thought it would be pretty simple to find a decent one but I seem to be mistaken.

I tried using IrfanView but the screensaver it creates has some issues. First it seems to require a click to turn off. Second it doesn't support multiple monitors very well. If I do nothing the second screen is just visible while the images show up on the first screen. If I have it span monitors the images are centered between the two screens.

Things I would like to see (but not absolutely required)
  • Multi-monitor support
  • Work like a normal screensaver, move the mouse screensaver shuts off
  • Combine images into single scr file
  • Command line support, for automation purposes
  • Free but cheap would work

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I'm looking for something to organise my desktop. Ive tried fences before and it was ok but it didn't really change the fact that I have icons everywhere. I'd go for a dock bar but most of them seem to be riddled with spyware and the like. Is there anything that can make my desktop sexy?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Solly posted:

I'm looking for something to organise my desktop. Ive tried fences before and it was ok but it didn't really change the fact that I have icons everywhere. I'd go for a dock bar but most of them seem to be riddled with spyware and the like. Is there anything that can make my desktop sexy?

You sound like the kind of person Windows 8 was made for.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Well maybe but wouldn't I loose a lot of compatibility, also I quite like being able to navigate a computer with a mouse instead of having to touch things.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Solly posted:

Could I recommend having a blank desktop with nothing on it? My productivity's gone the gently caress up since I started doing that and instead using jump lists.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Solly posted:

You can always try Rainmeter, it has some good skins for dock bar type solutions. Aside from that, just get rid of your icons and use a combination of the Start Menu and pinning applications to the taskbar? You can grab an application launcher like Launchy too if you need something quicker.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Solly posted:

Well maybe but wouldn't I loose a lot of compatibility, also I quite like being able to navigate a computer with a mouse instead of having to touch things.

There are pretty much no compatibility issues and its perfectly fine to use a mouse with. It's basically windows 7 + a fancy start screen- which I like :-)

Win 7 is great but if you're just looking for a change I recommend trying 8.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

gbeck posted:

Anybody have any suggestions for a simple program that will take a series of images and make a screensaver? I thought it would be pretty simple to find a decent one but I seem to be mistaken.

I tried using IrfanView but the screensaver it creates has some issues. First it seems to require a click to turn off. Second it doesn't support multiple monitors very well. If I do nothing the second screen is just visible while the images show up on the first screen. If I have it span monitors the images are centered between the two screens.

Things I would like to see (but not absolutely required)
  • Multi-monitor support
  • Work like a normal screensaver, move the mouse screensaver shuts off
  • Combine images into single scr file
  • Command line support, for automation purposes
  • Free but cheap would work

Windows 7 does this natively. Dont think it works with multi monitors though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What setting do I need to disable to stop my pidgin (feel free to joke about why I use pidgin, I'm ashamed of it, too!) buddy list from doing this when I try to put it at the edge of the screen:

I don't have many friends (:( probably because I use pidgin) so all I want is something like 1/3 that height underneath my little widgets. This size, but all the way on the right:

I have two other Win 7 PCs with Pidgin, and neither of them have this behavior. I don't know if it's a Win 7 or Pidgin issue, but I haven't found a setting in either one that seems to change it. I thought it might have been this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/disable-the-mouse-drag-window-arranging-feature-in-windows-7/

But it still does it regardless of that checkbox.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

DrBouvenstein posted:

What setting do I need to disable to stop my pidgin (feel free to joke about why I use pidgin, I'm ashamed of it, too!) buddy list from doing this when I try to put it at the edge of the screen:

I don't have many friends (:( probably because I use pidgin) so all I want is something like 1/3 that height underneath my little widgets. This size, but all the way on the right:

I have two other Win 7 PCs with Pidgin, and neither of them have this behavior. I don't know if it's a Win 7 or Pidgin issue, but I haven't found a setting in either one that seems to change it. I thought it might have been this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/disable-the-mouse-drag-window-arranging-feature-in-windows-7/

But it still does it regardless of that checkbox.

Check your plugins. This behavior is consistent with "Dockable Buddy List" feature of the "Windows Pidgin Options" plugin. Disable that, then resize the window to whatever size and placement you want.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
(Crossposted from the Steam topic)

So I've got the problem that the Steam icon on my taskbar is a generic white icon. Killing/restarting Steam doesn't help. It's not pinned to the taskbar.

edit: fixed it by nuking the IconCache file and rebooting.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 8, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Read posted:

You can always try Rainmeter

Figure I'd cross post as it's more about software for windows than windows itself

I'm looking for a skin that can replace my Windows 7 gadgets - I used several of the gadgets from addgadgets.com, specifically

All CPU Meter
Network Meter
GPU Meter
Drives Meter

The GPU Monitor is the one that seems to be making things difficult

Does anyone know of a Rainmeter skin that can duplicate this functionality? Preferably nothing too graphically outlandish.

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that

blackmanjew posted:

Windows 7 does this natively. Dont think it works with multi monitors though.

I will need to push this out to a bunch of WinXP and Win7 computers. The built in version doesn't seem to do what I need.

It doesn't need to do anything with the second monitor but it should at least make it black so you can't see what is on the screen behind it.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hello my fellow goons/goonettes! Is there anything like adblocker for mac...But for Windows? I only just built (~2 weeks ago) my first ever PC and the popups from sub websites are starting to annoy me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Guni posted:

Hello my fellow goons/goonettes! Is there anything like adblocker for mac...But for Windows? I only just built (~2 weeks ago) my first ever PC and the popups from sub websites are starting to annoy me.

In Firefox I use Adblock Plus. The same plugin is available for Chrome, too. Don't know about other browsers.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Guni posted:

Use Adblock Plus and you shouldn't see another ad for a long time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows of folder sync software (something like rsync), with an aesthetically pleasing and easy to use user interface? Pretty much most solutions I came across look like no-effort outdated shareware. I need something a generic person isn't afraid to push buttons on.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows of folder sync software (something like rsync), with an aesthetically pleasing and easy to use user interface? Pretty much most solutions I came across look like no-effort outdated shareware. I need something a generic person isn't afraid to push buttons on.

Microsoft SyncToy

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 9, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Google Drive, Dropbox, Skydrive, Spider Oak.

Dropbox is by far the easiest solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The idea would be to sync a hundred or so of gigabytes from a disk in a computer to an external one once in a while. Cloud solutions a la Dropbox are out of the question. The ideal solution would be a client with the ease of the cloud ones, but working offline or independent of such services.