Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Isn't this kinda hypocritical coming from Cena since the AA was originally a take on the F5 (thus why it was called FU)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Isn't this kinda hypocritical coming from Cena since the AA was originally a take on the F5 (thus why it was called FU)?

Of course it is.

It's ridiculous no matter what because even if it was an exact AA, the fact is nobody is going to confuse Tyler Reks for John Cena.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Wasn't it created specifically to be part of their storyline? I didn't watch then, so I don't know.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Of course it is.

It's ridiculous no matter what because even if it was an exact AA, the fact is nobody is going to confuse Tyler Reks for John Cena.

Thanks for reminding me of Matt Hardy's debut in TNA. Where Tyler Reks ended up trending for a little bit because of it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Tyler's Cena stories did introduce me to one that I hadn't heard before, that Alex Riley got depushed because he didn't show Cena proper respect. On the other hand he did show hustle and loyality so theres hope for him yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Riley.. show[ed] hustle and loyalty
Did you SEE how he treated his mentor, The Miz?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Reminds me of when Sting got mad that Too Cold Scorpio had Scorpions on his trunks.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Skinty McEdger posted:

Tyler's Cena stories did introduce me to one that I hadn't heard before, that Alex Riley got depushed because he didn't show Cena proper respect. On the other hand he did show hustle and loyality so theres hope for him yet.

I thought Riley got depushed for sandbagging Swagger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
And just generally looking like dogshit in the ring.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I thought Riley got depushed for sandbagging Swagger.

Sandbagging implies some kind of malice and forethought I'm not willing to contribute to Riley's pure incompetence

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It's good to hear that Cena does throw his clout around and even better to hear that he uses it to bury lovely wrestlers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lloyd Boner posted:

Maybe Cena's just a Kobashi mark and was annoyed that some lovely geek was using the move, especially since he was using it poorly.

I like this theory better.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Perigryn posted:

I think he said in an interview once that "Tyler" was a name he and his gf considered for their first born.

I think a lot of developmental guys have some imput on their name. Titus is the name of one of O'Neil's sons.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Suben posted:

I think a lot of developmental guys have some imput on their name.

Then how do you explain Lucky Cannon?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

TL posted:

Then how do you explain Lucky Cannon?

Once they're called up all bets are off!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Suben posted:

Once they're called up all bets are off!
Case in point: Michael McGillicutty.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Suben posted:

I think a lot of developmental guys have some imput on their name. Titus is the name of one of O'Neil's sons.
They provide a list, at least Danielson and Black did, but I'm not sure who actually picks. Pretty sure Tyler tweeted the names in 2010, but nothing was as memorable as Buddy Peacock.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

John Cena posted:

Injured or healthy, today @CMPunk is the longest reigning @WWE champ in modern era, it would be hypocritical not to acknowledge + respect it

Sometimes luck is as valuable as skill, but the record books will not say it was a 'lucky 381 and counting', it'll just say 381, + counting

I do wish @CMPunk a speedy full recovery. He will need EVERYTHING he has to even step into a ring with @TheRock. I know from experience.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh for gently caress sake John.

HAVE AN OPINION ON SOMETHING.

This guy has spend the last few months making your life as miserable as possible and has just broke your biggest record.

HAVE A BIT OF BACKBONE.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 5, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VogeGandire posted:

This guy has spend the last few months making your life as miserable as possible and has just broke your biggest record.

HAVE A BIT OF BACKBONE.

I don't get why you're upset at him.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

VogeGandire posted:

HAVE A BIT OF BACKBONE.

Boring or not, John Cena is the face of WWE, it would be hypocritical not to acknowledge + respect it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't get why you're upset at him.

Because it just devalues the feud, and by extension, makes the title look worthless. "Oh, he broke my record with the feud and has spent weeks rubbing that fact in my face. Oh he's injured? Well I hope he gets better soon". It's just such a wishy-washy "must be nice all the time" dryhump of an attitude. I just want to see him show a bit of aggression and passion.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VogeGandire posted:

Because it just devalues the feud, and by extension, makes the title look worthless. "Oh, he broke my record with the feud and has spent weeks rubbing that fact in my face. Oh he's injured? Well I hope he gets better soon". It's just such a wishy-washy "must be nice all the time" dryhump of an attitude. I just want to see him show a bit of aggression and passion.
Yeah basically this

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VogeGandire posted:

It's Twitter. You're allowed to break kayfabe on Twitter. Not only that, but people have done nothing but bitch and moan about how Cena never gives Punk respect and keeps saying he hasn't proven himself. So now you're angry that he's saying Punk accomplished something great?

poo poo is getting confusing as to what people want from John Cena.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's Twitter. You're allowed to break kayfabe on Twitter. Not only that, but people have done nothing but bitch and moan about how Cena never gives Punk respect and keeps saying he hasn't proven himself. So now you're angry that he's saying Punk accomplished something great?

He said he respected him in the first tweet, then instantly took it back in the second tweet by saying that it was only by luck. But of course, that would imply that John thinks he's actually better than Punk, so "gee willikers, I had better mention that it's still a long reign".

I just want him to a pick a side and defend his position on that side. As I said, he's genuinely wishing well a guy who has just toppled his biggest achievement to date and has spent the last few months openly mocking him for being powerless to stop it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He gives him respect, then immediately brings up luck as the predominant factor while trying to word it as backhandedly as possible. As a character, he's basically the walking equivalent of WWE's creative team. If there's any indication that he's standing for something or potentially building to something meaningful, he has to immediately take the direct opposite action to take everything back to Neutralville.

He treats the title like it's something he's going to eventually get back at some point, so there's no urgency. There's no vulnerability to John Cena. Even Hogan was sometimes painted in a way to seem vulnerable. Cena just fruity pebbles and poop jokes everything into a non-issue and waits until the last moment possible before the big match to try to be serious.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
"Sometimes luck is as valuable as skill, but the record books will not say it was a 'lucky 381 and counting', it'll just say 381, + counting"

Cena was saying, "I might think Punk was lucky at times, but the fact is he has the modern record and counting. You have to give respect."

You folks read too much into things at times. Especially when it comes to a simple guy like Cena.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

All I know is that Cena is being nice to Punk so his career will stop being relevant immediately just like Londrick and Cryme Tyme and Morrison and Bourne and Truth and Ryder and Mickie James and AJ so on. Fate hates that Cena is untouchable and will attack anyone it can identify as his friend.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And just generally looking like dogshit in the ring.

I figured it was the utter disaster that was his "Vickie your breath smells" promo. I mean, it was horribly written so it's not all his fault, but you could see what small heat he had vanish completely.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Cena was saying, "I might think Punk was lucky at times, but the fact is he has the modern record and counting. You have to give respect."

You folks read too much into things at times. Especially when it comes to a simple guy like Cena.

But when CM Punk turned heel Cena said "THE ONLY REASON HE HAS HAD THE TITLE FOR SO LONG IS BECAUSE HE DOES ANY SNEAKY TACTIC TO KEEP IT" even though he had been winning clean for months!!!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

HulkaMatt posted:

But when CM Punk turned heel Cena said "THE ONLY REASON HE HAS HAD THE TITLE FOR SO LONG IS BECAUSE HE DOES ANY SNEAKY TACTIC TO KEEP IT" even though he had been winning clean for months!!!

Wasn't that between Summerslam and Night of Champions? When the closest thing to a "sneaky" tactic was stealing Cena's pin in a triple threat, and earlier in the match they both made Big Show tap out...

It was like they wanted you to hate Cena for being a hypocritical, lying gently caress until CM Punk practically started strangling puppies to get booed over Cena.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 5, 2012

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Cena is in a bizzare voice of the auidence role, in that whatever he says is what the babyface announcers believe to be true but is at the same time clearly an unreliable narrator. The Hogan role.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

HulkaMatt posted:

A clean win can still be due to luck.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

HulkaMatt posted:

And after this, didn't Punk start doing sneaky poo poo? I know the world bends to the voice of John Cena but that was pretty bad. Same with Del Rio when Cena called him a wuss for not defending his title despite winning it like a week ago and what do you know Del Rio is now a massive pussy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So basically, Cena has the powers of the kid from the Twilight Zone "It's a Good Life".

"It's GOOD that you turned Punk heel, Cena."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah, I don't see what other play Cena has. If he refuses to give Punk respect and acknowledgement and just goes on about how he's gotten lucky and used cheap ways to retain then Cena comes off like a petulant brat. If he ignores Punk's heel antics and just gives respect then he's ignoring the story and characters. This half and half answer seems like the logical one and really the only one he can play. "I don't like how he did it, but there's no denying he did it and that's special."

The problem isn't in his response today, its in years of his character. That wouldn't come off bad if Cena hasn't been booked for years as the aloof guy who turns his serious mode on and off and brushes every major defeat off his shoulder. But Cena can't undue that now. All he can do is give the best response he can going forward, but unfortunately the fans who are frustrated with his years of "no selling" tough losses will see this as just another case like VogeGandire did.

VogeGandire isn't wrong to look at the big picture and have a memory longer than a goldfish's. Cena and WWE aren't blameless since they made this mess. But going forward there's no easy fix because this clearly wasn't a designed story, it was just bad writing. The only easy fix for badly written fictional characters is to kill them off or reset the universe.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Wasn't that between Summerslam and Night of Champions? When the closest thing to a "sneaky" tactic was stealing Cena's pin in a triple threat, and earlier in the match they both made Big Show tap out...

It was like they wanted you to hate Cena for being a hypocritical, lying gently caress until CM Punk practically started strangling puppies to get booed over Cena.
It's like as if the Corporation is the face and Stone Cold is supposed to be the heel.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Never break kayfaybe.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Sheiky is going loving nuts over the NHL lockout. A few choice quotes:

quote:

The #HappyFriday to everyone accept that no good motherfucker Gary Bettman. He big time jabroni

quote:

the Donald Fehr have smaller dick than the donald duck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I have gotten myself into something I don't know how to get out of :stare: