Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sober posted:

So wait, I heard FC3 also has the crazy self emergency first-aid animations like FC2 did, is that true? If so I'm going to drop the money on this thing sooner than I thought.

Yeah, but as said, there's a lot less variety to it. You'll be relocating your thumb a hell of a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Sober posted:

So wait, I heard FC3 also has the crazy self emergency first-aid animations like FC2 did, is that true? If so I'm going to drop the money on this thing sooner than I thought.

It does! I haven't seen them much because I've been stockpiling syringes and stuff but they are back.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

gibbed posted:

Uh, do you mean the UPlay rewards tattoo pack? Because that's for multiplayer. The giant tattoo that Jason has in singleplayer has always been there (watch the intro again!).

No, I played through the game and he did not have it on his arm. Then I bought the tattoo pack.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nelson Mandingo posted:

the tattoo pack.

That's tatow to you.

(Hearing it pronounced this way bothers me for some reason)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Ice Fist posted:

That's tatow to you.

(Hearing it pronounced this way bothers me for some reason)

It's "tatau" and it's an entirely different word than "tattoo."

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I usually don't dig card minigames.

I spent close to an hour playing poker in this game. I think part of that has to do with the first-person animations for it--they're all so drat good.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box posted:

I spent close to an hour playing poker in this game. I think part of that has to do with the first-person animations for it--they're all so drat good.

I spend most of my time in the poker games grimacing at the default control scheme for it. Hitting middle mouse to speed up dealing gets old.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I rebound grenade to G, so pressing that was a bit less painful.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So goons, I bought FC3 the other day before it came out, but I haven't gotten to playing it since I've had other games I want to get to first (read: GR: FS and more Dark Souls). That said, what do you guys think so far?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Sober posted:

I was driving around and kinda made pirates angry at me, bullets were involved. No syringes so I hit the heal button. Jason looks at his arm, sees the bullet, bites that slug out and spits it out on the floorboard. :drat:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

Man if only they were playing Yu-Gi-Oh I would be all over it.

(seriously I am jonesing for a good Yu-Gi-Oh video game, why did you abandon it Konamiiii?)

The card-dealing and chips-raking animations are actually pretty drat good, I admit.

I didn't know you were supposed to deal extra cards face-down during the flop. That's funny.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

IronSaber posted:

So goons, I bought FC3 the other day before it came out, but I haven't gotten to playing it since I've had other games I want to get to first (read: GR: FS and more Dark Souls). That said, what do you guys think so far?

It's got flaws. It's a little too easy even on the hard difficulty, the constant notifications it gives you are annoying, and once you clear out a pirate outpost, the surrounding area tends to feel a bit empty, but what it does well, it does really well. I'm having a great time with it. Easily Game of the Year for me.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

IronSaber posted:

This has snuck in as a potential GoTY, in my opinion. There are flaws in this game for sure, but there is a lot of charm and fun to be had. If you're into open world games and the jank contained within, it'd be poor of you to miss out on this one. There are some really great moments, coupled with some annoyances that are pretty much dulled when you're running from a tiger that has just completed a meal comprised of pirates with automatic weapons.

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My personal gripes about this game are

-the SSAO shadows (which you can turn off)
-unskippable cutscenes (of which there are plenty. not to mention they're plenty awful) watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKrH3GgwYX0
-the skills and crafting just seem tacked on to try and be like the cool kids. could've been replaced with money because all you end up doing with your money is buying maps and weapon attachments just so you don't miss out on more money
-it's basically crysis

other than that, it really is goty nomination material

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
In regards to there being no people to shoot after clearing outposts - they could stick groups of enemies around relics. I know object hunting kinda sucks but it'd be believable. Pirates searching for treasure! (only to have you show up and blast their faces off)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game had me staying up all night to play it.

That's what I think of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734046-Mods-for-Far-Cry-3

More advanced mods!

Tools to unpack the game data, modify it, and then repack it, so now we can make even more changes than just messing with hex in the dll.

If we can somehow modify chunks of the game data using the editor, then I take back what I said before, and we could actually mod the poo poo out of the single player. That's a pretty tricky IF though, but seeing how much work has been done and the game's only been out a little bit, I have good feelings :D

The ones they've made so far remove icons from your mini-map. :D

So I think for my plan is now:

Modify DLL to remove everything EXCEPT mini-map

Modify game files to remove enemy icons and stash locations on mini map, while keeping markers for quests.

Profit.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

IronSaber posted:

I've had about three hours with it and am full into the open world portion. From what I've done so far, it's drat fantastic. I haven't seen any copy+pasted content (looking at you Assassin's Creed) throughout the island so far, getting around is incredibly fun and fast, and the guerilla-style combat works exceedingly well. There's nothing quite like hang gliding onto a hill overlooking an outpost, scoping and tagging all the enemies with your camera, and then heading in and getting ridiculous takedowns.

It plays like some crazy hybrid of STALKER, Just Cause 2 and Assassin's Creed.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Someone make a mod that unlocks all guns from the start and quadruples the amount of enemies in the game. I want roaming patrols on the roads with busses full of redshirts :allears:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

More advanced mods!

Tools to unpack the game data, modify it, and then repack it, so now we can make even more changes than just messing with hex in the dll.

Modify game files to remove enemy icons and stash locations on mini map, while keeping markers for quests.

Profit.

That didn't take long, I'm thinking of waiting a week before purchasing, that way I can get that one mod that fixes everyones gripe (No respawning enemies)

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is why you should enable subtitles for every game that allows them. There's tons of stuff you'll miss because :homonyms:

Also because then you'll know how to spell names of people and companies in games and won't look stupid when you make SA posts. (This is not directed at either of you guys, but merely based in my own screw ups!)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What does it mean? I also thought it was some awful way of making "tattoo" sound like some legendary thing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

az posted:

Someone make a mod that unlocks all guns from the start and quadruples the amount of enemies in the game. I want roaming patrols on the roads with busses full of redshirts :allears:

I'd totally want this for a second playthrough so I can go full Rambo.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

More advanced mods!

If we can somehow modify chunks of the game data using the editor, then I take back what I said before, and we could actually mod the poo poo out of the single player. That's a pretty tricky IF though, but seeing how much work has been done and the game's only been out a little bit, I have good feelings :D

Profit.
I see someone found my tools. :v:

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah, but as said, there's a lot less variety to it. You'll be relocating your thumb a hell of a lot.

Crouching Chiropractor, Ambulant Surgeon.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I wish the enemy outposts had more to them. If some of the outposts were just 3 or 4 or 5 regular outposts clustered together, that'd be great. Even that early on story mission where you clear the boat was completely under-populated; it was a great setpiece but there were like 3 groups of 3 guys all spread out and poo poo, though that was most certainly because you were REQUIRED to use stealth. I feel like part of the reason this wasn't done is because of how strange/finnicky the AI is when it comes to detecting you/bodies. Sometimes I can snipe the guy on the roof with an arrow and nobody notices even though they're right below him, other times I'll take out a lone guy and the rest of the base somehow knew. ]

Clearing an outpost once you get midway through the game is super easy, regardless of what method you come up with to do so, because there's only like 8 guys max in an outpost. Towards the end I started letting them hit the alarm just so more guys could come. Since respawning outposts aren't in this game, I don't think it would be any more annoying to have to kill like 20 guys per outpost, plus additional reinforcements.

The bases in Just Cause 2 are what I'm thinking of. Some of those were massive but it was done in such a way that the whole base wasn't alerted as soon as you engaged someone, so you'd end up fighting like half the guys in the base at once.

ten_twentyfour fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 6, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hell, once you get the bow or a suppressed sniper rifle, clearing an outpost is trivial. Just find the inevitable overlook, use camera to ensure you've tagged everyone, then just methodically pick them all off while they have no idea where you are.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

Hell, once you get the bow or a suppressed sniper rifle, clearing an outpost is trivial. Just find the inevitable overlook, use camera to ensure you've tagged everyone, then just methodically pick them all off while they have no idea where you are.

While it's true that silenced weapons trivialize pretty much the whole game, I've found that the AI's death/noise detection will allow an NPC to somehow see through walls to notice that I've put an arrow through the back of their comrade's head.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ten_twentyfour posted:

While it's true that silenced weapons trivialize pretty much the whole game, I've found that the AI's death/noise detection will allow an NPC to somehow see through walls to notice that I've put an arrow through the back of their comrade's head.

Really? I've never noticed that. The only rule I've seen is "don't kill one guy while someone else can see him". Even if they're a few feet away, as long as I get the guy standing at the back, they have no idea.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Turtlicious posted:

That didn't take long, I'm thinking of waiting a week before purchasing, that way I can get that one mod that fixes everyones gripe (No respawning enemies)

God drat it's hilarious to see this as a major complaint given the situation with Far Cry 2.

Also I just found flamethrower heavies. Immune to the flare gun, no less. So I stabbed them. :unsmigghh:

VogeGandire posted:

Sure, you can do this, but I just had my most badass moment yet where I took down an outpost by planning my route carefully and shanking all but one dude via takedowns. It felt great to just quietly stalk the bad guys and stab the poo poo out of them. I didn't even have to use rocks. I actually find it's better to do things up close with the outposts anyway so you can get to an alarm console and disable all of them.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 6, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibbed posted:

You haven't posted about them though, so I'm sure you have reasons to not use them yet?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Speedball posted:

This game had me staying up all night to play it.

That's what I think of it.

Yeah. I easily wasted eight hours playing it. Jesus christ, where did the time go.

Also the cutscenes are actually really, really well-done and the motion capture is superb. It's the little details that make it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Yeah. I easily wasted eight hours playing it. Jesus christ, where did the time go.

Also the cutscenes are actually really, really well-done and the motion capture is superb. It's the little details that make it.

I'm always happy when Vaas appears, because holy christ his mocap and voice acting are incredible.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Adraeus posted:

You haven't posted about them though, so I'm sure you have reasons to not use them yet?
None other than there's not much you can do with only repack tools other than texture edits.

You're free to play around with them.

Binaries Source

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

This won't work on heavies. You can only snipe the backs of their heads. There's one outpost that had two or three heavies standing next to each other and I didn't have the Shark's "use takedowns on heavies" ability yet, so I was forced to go loud. Shooting one alerted the other, naturally.

Flamethrowers work surprisingly well on heavies, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gibbed posted:

Oh snap, you're the gibbed they were talking about, haha!

I was like "I swear I remember the goons talking about gibbed, but I guess thats just because we were talking about mods"

Good work mate

gibbed posted:

None other than there's not much you can do with only repack tools other than texture edits.

You're free to play around with them.

Binaries Source

Glorious source code! C#? I love me some C#.
Huzzah, three cheers for Gibbed!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Major end game spoilers. I kind of like how everything was foreshadowed when you go to confront Hoyt. When you go to torture the prisoner, and you see that your video is being played ("How did they get that?") and the little speech when you get to the poker game. "Ask any chump on the street, and they'll tell you it's a game of chance. Ask Sam here, and he'll tell you it's about bluffing". I knew poo poo was about to get wrong real fast :(

Mr Asshat
Oct 28, 2005
Vaas is the best villain in any videogame ever, that is all.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

VogeGandire posted:

I'm always happy when Vaas appears, because holy christ his mocap and voice acting are incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY6bpf3Oy30

I really want some DLC with Vaas' rise to power.

Far Cry 3: I'm Gonna Be A Pirate King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

God, I'd love playable Vaas DLC.

• Locked thread