Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dreesemonkey posted:

The steering was higher effort at low speeds than I was expecting, though not really a complaint.

I think all newer Fiats are like this, it's due to their electric power steering, which takes a bit of getting used to. It's a lot heavier at slow speeds than you'd think from the size of the car. The cars I've driven with hydraulic power steering were definitely lighter at low speeds in comparison.

According to my dad, who's had a couple of old-school Fiats including a 600 and an Uno, they've always had really aggressive self-centering as well. My Panda and the 500 I test drove before buying definitely self-centered very heavily.

Did you use the sport button? That makes the steering even heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Did you use the sport button? That makes the steering even heavier.

Damnnit, I saw the sport button when I was in the passenger seat but completely forgot about it when I was driving.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yeah the Sport button gives it more torque and firms the suspension and steering, much more responsive and "get up and go" feel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yeah the Sport button gives it more torque and firms the suspension and steering, much more responsive and "get up and go" feel.

It doesn't adjust the suspension, it's just a little Fiat, not some big-dollar fancy car ;)

I'm not even sure if it adds torque or if that's just an overboost function that's always available on full throttle. Unless they've changed it from the European model, all the sport button does is make the steering heavier and the DBW gas pedal inputs more aggressive.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

It doesn't adjust the suspension, it's just a little Fiat, not some big-dollar fancy car ;)

I'm not even sure if it adds torque or if that's just an overboost function that's always available on full throttle. Unless they've changed it from the European model, all the sport button does is make the steering heavier and the DBW gas pedal inputs more aggressive.

Just going off of what the dealership told me that magic button did. The suspension thing I didn't really understand but the rest can make sense in that it makes the engine produce more power via MultiAir?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Koni FSDs that are on the US Abarth are already extremely trick (sorry, Euros) so there's definitely no need for fancy electronic gubbins. :)

Sybok
May 25, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

The sport button does in fact change the torque but not by adding. Sport is how the car should be driven. The "Economy" mode just limits the torque in the first two gears almost exactly like described above as well as turning what would be a linear throttle response into a curved. I do think the steering is way heavier than I expected but you get used to it. The best part about that car is around town 2nd gear pulls when the turbo spools and the exhaust sings.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
IIRC, the Sport button also increases the electric assist to the steering. I drove the regular 500 back in January, and the car in Sport mode was pretty fun to toss around.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

I had a Panda with the 75hp/145nm 1.3 Multijet. It's a good little engine, but you're always very distinctly aware that it's a diesel. It's not coarse as such, but there is significantly more noise and vibration than with a gasoline engine, especially at idle. Once you get going, it lessens.

More noise and vibration than say a VW or Toyota or Hyundai diesel too

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Did anybody else just get a Fiat flash drive in the mail? Seems a little delayed, since we got the car in early September.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

Manky posted:

Did anybody else just get a Fiat flash drive in the mail? Seems a little delayed, since we got the car in early September.

Mine came about 5 months after purchase.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
My fiat one was a few months after, but the abarth one was 3 weeks after.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
So I lied, I never owned a 500, but the plan was to get a black pop. The pink wheels would of complimented the car a lot. I ended up buying a 2012 mocha latte sport. It has 70,000 km on it which hopefully was mostly highway. The dealership was pretty awful, the car has mismatched tires front and back and one of the drl's is out.

I have never driven a manual transmission car before, but each day I am getting better. My main concern is small rust spots formed around the hatch lift gate, right at the edge of the chrome. Do any of you guys have this problem?

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

Well, that was dumb.

Anyway, nice color choice. Mocha Latte was my second choice and I do often regret not getting it.

In the US, the cars have a warranty against corrosion for 10 years or something. Check your manual to see if you have this as well?

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 20, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

toaster_pastry posted:

Well, that was dumb.

Anyway, nice color choice. Mocha Latte was my second choice and I do often regret not getting it.

In the US, the cars have a warranty against corrosion for 10 years or something. Check your manual to see if you have this as well?

Most manufacturers corrosion warranties only cover holes. surface rust is considered normal wear and tear.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I have never driven a manual transmission car before, but each day I am getting better. My main concern is small rust spots formed around the hatch lift gate, right at the edge of the chrome. Do any of you guys have this problem?

Can you post a picture of this corrosion? On a 2012, I'd call it a manufacturing defect and try to get it covered on the warranty.

I got the rear seat brackets replaced in my Panda due to rust 2 years into its warranty. They were obviously rusted from the beginning, considering they were inside the car and I didn't use it to transport buckets of salt water or anything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It might be rust from rail dust, apparently a bunch of new Subarus and other white cars have that problem because they're not adequately covered during shipping.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/05/15/calgary-rail-dust-complaint.html

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Here in Illinois there's a promotion where you can win a 500 C if you test drive one by the 31st, or $16,000 value towards one of your choosing (Abarth).

I'm gonna go for it. Although I know some old lady who has a dog that pees on everything will win it.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Can you post a picture of this corrosion? On a 2012, I'd call it a manufacturing defect and try to get it covered on the warranty.

I got the rear seat brackets replaced in my Panda due to rust 2 years into its warranty. They were obviously rusted from the beginning, considering they were inside the car and I didn't use it to transport buckets of salt water or anything.

I already touched it up with rust paint. This isn't something that can be taken off with a claybar, when you lift the chrome handle it moves just a tiny bit, that was enough to make the paint crack, chip off and start rusting. (if you ever saw recent gen mazdas rear trunk brake light its a similar problem. The plastic light rubbed against the body and broke the paint, causing horrible rust only a few years after it was installed.) It is also starting to bubble underneath. I had a brief stint in auto body repair so I do know its something I need to take care of asap. I just really hate dealing with dealers and especially crappy autobody shops :smith:

here are some pictures.
Yes i know i did a terrible job slathering paint on it but its meant to be temporary, you can clearly see the original paint is chipped underneath.

BigHouseOfBooty fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 21, 2012

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

:h:

DSC_0009 by medullanocte, on Flickr

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I already touched it up with rust paint. This isn't something that can be taken off with a claybar, when you lift the chrome handle it moves just a tiny bit, that was enough to make the paint crack, chip off and start rusting. (if you ever saw recent gen mazdas rear trunk brake light its a similar problem. The plastic light rubbed against the body and broke the paint, causing horrible rust only a few years after it was installed.) It is also starting to bubble underneath. I had a brief stint in auto body repair so I do know its something I need to take care of asap. I just really hate dealing with dealers and especially crappy autobody shops :smith:

here are some pictures.
Yes i know i did a terrible job slathering paint on it but its meant to be temporary, you can clearly see the original paint is chipped underneath.

I wouldn't have done anything at all to it before i tried to get the OEM to cover it, but what's done is done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

here are some pictures.

Is that paint or melted chocolate?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

My local dealer has a contest to have THEIR BIGGEST FACEBOOK FAN help them shoot a video for the new Abarth Cabriolet. Seeing how I'm the only one that comments on their poo poo and stuff, I'm hoping to win it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So, how do you like it in the snow?

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

So, how do you like it in the snow?

I love it. Kept it in normal mode, coped perfectly well when I needed it to... then had loads of fun sliding it round our empty carpark with a little bit of handbrake assistance. :)

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
Changed the oil and spark plugs. Used a mopar oil filter from a dealer and 5w30 royal purple. Once you get the air cleaner assembly off the car its not so bad to work on. Do these old spark plugs look okay?

In other news a truck backed into me while I was parked. :smithicide: Fortunately all the damage is on the passenger side fender. Just a sad thing to happen to a new to me car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Those spark plugs look brand new. Why did you need to replace them?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Do these old spark plugs look okay?

They look absolutely pristine. How many miles are on them?

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Lightbulb Out posted:

Those spark plugs look brand new. Why did you need to replace them?

I had no idea when they were last changed nor the mileage. they were only 9 bucks a piece so eh piece of mind.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I had no idea when they were last changed nor the mileage. they were only 9 bucks a piece so eh piece of mind.

Put those plugs back in the next time they need to be changed. They'll give you "piece of mind" for another 20-30K miles.

E: VVVV Neither is mine. I only noticed it now that you pointed it out :downs::hf::downs:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 28, 2013

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Put those plugs back in the next time they need to be changed. They'll give you "piece of mind" for another 20-30K miles.

:downs: English is not my native tongue, I apologize. Good to know, I was planning on keeping them just in case.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
got pretty lucky and snagged a take-off Abarth suspension with only 150 miles on it, for $300 shipped!

I also finally got around to ordering some new shoes. I had been planning to get Ronal R10s, but they were just too heavy (19lbs in 15x7). Instead, I bought 15x7 Rota RBs wich are essentially just a Panasport knock off. 14.9lbs each in 15x7 with a +15 offset. 205/50/15 Azenis on order. Will post pics when everything is installed.

I'm up to 20k miles already, and only 10 months old. Here's a pic from the road

Oh, and I ordered a rear seat-delete kit! Shaves 47lbs off the car, so looking forward to that.

http://www.rearseatdelete.com/fiat500.html

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 11, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a hell of a price for the Abarth FSDs and springs. Good buy there.

What was the guy selling them upgrading to?

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's a hell of a price for the Abarth FSDs and springs. Good buy there.

What was the guy selling them upgrading to?

I'm not sure what he was putting on it, but I know the car was bought to be turned into a race car. I'm ashamed for not knowing anything about this, but I've heard rumors that there is some type of Fiat 500 one-make racing series starting up here in the states. I assume whatever he is building is for that.

Interesting that Koni doesn't sell FSD directly for the 500... only way to get them is from an Abarth. I feel like I got $650 worth of shocks for super cheap though!

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
oh, poo poo... I nearly forgot to mention this.

I ordered the rubber front chin spoiler that comes on 2013 Pop models, which is an aero bit that helps the car make the jump from 38mpg to 40mpg / hwy. It wasn't even in the parts catalog, so the dealer had to call Fiat tech to figure out how to order it. It wont be as easy to mount as I had hoped, but I think it looks kinda cool for the $60 or whatever I had to spend to get it.

Part number: 68161398AA

Dont bother ordering the attaching hardware, because it will come in and be wrong. I'm going to mount mine with some screws from the hardware store.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Have you added any sort of pedal widener for the gas pedal? I couldn't heel toe it at all when I test drove it, which would have made more of the puny engine.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

kimbo305 posted:

Have you added any sort of pedal widener for the gas pedal? I couldn't heel toe it at all when I test drove it, which would have made more of the puny engine.

no, and let me tell you, it blew during the two track days I've done with the car.

When I first bought this thing, sporty driving seemed impossible due to the lovely pedal feel and awkward angle for heel-toe. It certainly never got better on its own, but I do feel more comfortable reaching around with my feet to do what I can. Its miserable compared to my old 2.5RS, but I'm getting used to it.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

toaster_pastry posted:

no, and let me tell you, it blew during the two track days I've done with the car.

When I first bought this thing, sporty driving seemed impossible due to the lovely pedal feel and awkward angle for heel-toe. It certainly never got better on its own, but I do feel more comfortable reaching around with my feet to do what I can. Its miserable compared to my old 2.5RS, but I'm getting used to it.

Do you find people not noticing you as much as i do? I keep my lights on all day simply because people keep merging into me or looking directly at me and cutting me off anyways. Driving a smart car must be terrifying.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

Do you find people not noticing you as much as i do? I keep my lights on all day simply because people keep merging into me or looking directly at me and cutting me off anyways. Driving a smart car must be terrifying.

Add rally lights. The extra 2-4 headlights will freak people out in my experience even if they're off at the time.

Now I just need to fabricate a lightbar for my Miata and maybe people will stop pulling out in front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I get this on the 2 way too much.

Also, I should never, ever be able to out accelerate you on an on ramp. Ever.

• Locked thread