Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

anakha posted:

The app itself has been a bit wonky since the big update. I'm holding off using it again until the issues get fixed.

Mine just updated, and all the problems are fixed on my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I had to uninstall Flow, but mostly because my stupid phone is almost out of internal memory and I'm getting to the point where I can't update apps. This may be a question better suited for the rooted thread, but what is the difference between all the apps2sd apps on the Play Store, and will any of them make my phone stop bitching about having insufficient space? I've already moved all of my largest apps to the SD Card using the built in option in ICS, but that seems to only move a chunk of the data used by the app, rather than the entire thing.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I just got a Nexus 7 and I'm trying to find something that will read ePubs. Looking at the Nook/Kobo it looks like they all want a ton of data about you for no apparent reason. Is there anyway to like reject some of their permissions when I download them?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Strong Sauce posted:

I just got a Nexus 7 and I'm trying to find something that will read ePubs. Looking at the Nook/Kobo it looks like they all want a ton of data about you for no apparent reason. Is there anyway to like reject some of their permissions when I download them?

If it is ePubs without DRM FBReader is my favourite. Moon Reader is also good as far as I heard. Otherwise you have to deal with the proprietary reader App of your DRM-shop.
You can reject permissions via a special App if you're rooted, but it also might be that the App that doesn't get all permissions it wants doesn't work any more if you do so.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 7, 2012

Trocadero
Aug 23, 2012
Is there a way to force Swiftkey 3 to switch into hand writing recognition mode when I use S Pen on Note2? Default keyboard has a key that allows me to swap between taping and hand writing.

Or alternatively, can I somehow make it to automatically swap to default keyboard when S Pen is out?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

FISHMANPET posted:

So, Nexus 4 owner checking in. I'd like some weather on my lock screen, how can I do that?

Try HD Widgets (Paid) or Beautiful Widgets (Paid). Zooper Widget (Free), or ClockQ (Free) might work for you too, but require a bit more set up. Weather (Free) also turned up in a search, but I haven't used it so I can't vouch for how good/bad it is.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Widget locker. It'll let you customize your lock screen with whatever widgets you want.

He has a Nexus 4 so is probably inquiring about the native 4.2 option.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 7, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Vagrancy posted:

Try HD Widgets (Paid) or Beautiful Widgets (Paid). Zooper Widget (Free), or ClockQ (Free) might work for you too, but require a bit more set up. Weather (Free) also turned up in a search, but I haven't used it so I can't vouch for how good/bad it is.

:aaaaa: I did not know this witchcraft existed

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is there a way to make Play Music start playing when I plug in my headphones, you know, like every other player does?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sereri posted:

Is there a way to make Play Music start playing when I plug in my headphones, you know, like every other player does?
This sounds like something Tasker can do.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
PowerAmp has an option for that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone with a Galaxy S3 find that Tasker just doesn't work right? Even the simple profiles I was using on my Evo are iffy with the GS3. I had the most basic of basic ones set up, turn ringer off from 8-5 M-F, and it doesn't even work all the time...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

QPZIL posted:

PowerAmp has an option for that.

Poweramp has an option to start playing music in Google Play Music when headphones are plugged in?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Poweramp has an option to start playing music in Google Play Music when headphones are plugged in?

I misread. I thought he was asking "is there an option to start playing music as soon as headphones are plugged in." My bad!

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
Apparently, people who are disappointed in SwiftKey Flow have had better results when switching their typing style to "rapid". Worth a go if you haven't been happy with it.

As for me, I've been thrilled.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

MrC posted:

Apparently, people who are disappointed in SwiftKey Flow have had better results when switching their typing style to "rapid". Worth a go if you haven't been happy with it.

As for me, I've been thrilled.

I set mine to rapid right out of the gate and have been happy with it. I really enjoy traditional SwiftKey tap input when I've got a bit more time to write a message, but being able to quickly swipe something when I'm on the go is fantastic. I keep forgetting about the "swipe through space" feature, but, when I do remember it, it seems fairly effective

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

So apparently, the Google Play Store can only show so many apps in the "other apps in my library" section (on the website, not in the app.) Mine only gets to "M" before it cuts off. That's... pretty frustrating.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kaninrail posted:

So apparently, the Google Play Store can only show so many apps in the "other apps in my library" section (on the website, not in the app.) Mine only gets to "M" before it cuts off. That's... pretty frustrating.
There's a (crappy) way to fix this. On your device, go to the Play Store->⋮->My Apps->All and hit the Ø symbol on everything you no longer want to appear in the list.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kaninrail posted:

Even better, it's been this way since they re-did the store! :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kaninrail posted:

I've found that the ONLY way to fix this without using Doctor rear end in a top hat's suggestion is to use a Greasemonkey script called "Google Play Store Library View Fix". It's a long name, I know, but it shows all of your apps (or at least almost all, it shows all of mine).

It categorizes them by free and paid as well. The list is also scrollable.

e: After updating the script, it seems something broke. :v: YMMV if this works or not. Hoping to get this fixed as it was pretty handy. Might downgrade to 1.01 from before.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 7, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Alright, I give up. How do you "flow out" a full sentence without taking your finger off the keys, like the video they put out shows?

I try to write "I am hungry right now" and it just does not work. Is there some setting I need to tick?

Edit: this has to do with Swiftkey Flow if you couldn't tell from my post.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

hotsauce posted:

Alright, I give up. How do you "flow out" a full sentence without taking your finger off the keys, like the video they put out shows?

I try to write "I am hungry right now" and it just does not work. Is there some setting I need to tick?

Edit: this has to do with Swiftkey Flow if you couldn't tell from my post.

Make sure you're flowing through the space bar between each word.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Android noob question about music storage: I have uploaded my library to Play through the Music Manager, but downloading even an album to my phone via the Play Music app is painfully slow (it took over an hour to do 1% of 2,000 tracks, although streaming is fine).

Downloading the entire library on to my desktop is much faster, so I'm now trying that (the thinking being that it will be downloaded in Google's preferred structure/format). How can I put some of the albums on the Nexus 4 and will the Music app recognise the songs as the same as those in the library and mark them as being on the device?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So you're uploading your music and then downloading it so it will be in "Google's preferred structure/format?" That just sounds like a wonderful way to waste bandwidth. Google doesn't give a gently caress what your music structure/format is. It just stores it and streams it to your device.

I've never downloaded anything to my device, I just stream it. It will cache the music to the device so I have never had to try it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HTJ posted:

Android noob question about music storage: I have uploaded my library to Play through the Music Manager, but downloading even an album to my phone via the Play Music app is painfully slow (it took over an hour to do 1% of 2,000 tracks, although streaming is fine).

Downloading the entire library on to my desktop is much faster, so I'm now trying that (the thinking being that it will be downloaded in Google's preferred structure/format). How can I put some of the albums on the Nexus 4 and will the Music app recognise the songs as the same as those in the library and mark them as being on the device?

I'm not totally sure but I think if you drop them in your Music folder it'll work. I already had some on there before I got to upload to ~the cloud~, I had a couple of duplicates but I think that might have been a changed tag issue. If your files are identical, try dropping an album on there and see what happens.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Vagrancy posted:

Holy crap Zooper is pretty great, thanks for sharing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

XIII posted:

I set mine to rapid right out of the gate and have been happy with it. I really enjoy traditional SwiftKey tap input when I've got a bit more time to write a message, but being able to quickly swipe something when I'm on the go is fantastic. I keep forgetting about the "swipe through space" feature, but, when I do remember it, it seems fairly effective

Ditto. Set mine to rapid and it seems to work really well. Occasionally it'll recognize a word, but then when i swipe down to the spacebar and start the next word it wigs out and refuses to type anything. It's pretty rare though and otherwise it works great.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

MrC posted:

Make sure you're flowing through the space bar between each word.

:stare: Thanks. Didn't realize that was the secret...

Suddenly, this keyboard is the poo poo!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Holy crap Zooper is pretty great, thanks for sharing.
Zooper owns. I found out about it a few weeks ago from the desktop thread and bought it within an hour. No more BW on the main homescreen after three years!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
This is only somewhat applicable to this thread I suppose, but it seems like as good of place as any. My music collection on my home PC is larger than Google Music, etc. will ever allow. Is there any software that allows your PC to serve as a server so I can stream the music over an Android device (Nexus 7 on Wifi in my case)? Bonus points if I could use it on my WP7 phone as well.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is only somewhat applicable to this thread I suppose, but it seems like as good of place as any. My music collection on my home PC is larger than Google Music, etc. will ever allow. Is there any software that allows your PC to serve as a server so I can stream the music over an Android device (Nexus 7 on Wifi in my case)? Bonus points if I could use it on my WP7 phone as well.

You can use Audiogalaxy, or if you have a dynamic DNS set up (if your router has DD-WRT it's really easy to do) you can use Emit or Plex. Those might actually have a login service that doesn't require DDNS, I'm not quite sure.

(I'd recommend using Audiogalaxy as a last resort, because it's easily one of the worst-looking apps I've ever seen).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

gucci mangosteen posted:

You can use Audiogalaxy, or if you have a dynamic DNS set up (if your router has DD-WRT it's really easy to do) you can use Emit or Plex. Those might actually have a login service that doesn't require DDNS, I'm not quite sure.

(I'd recommend using Audiogalaxy as a last resort, because it's easily one of the worst-looking apps I've ever seen).

Yes, I have DDNS setup for RDP, etc. so it looks like these will work well for me. Thanks!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

gucci mangosteen posted:

There's also Subsonic, but its app is just as bad as Audiogalaxy's, if not worse.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Has anyone made a "volume enhancer" app that works for ICS/JB yet? I cannot hear my GNex if it's in my pocket, and I think I'm starting to become desensitized to the vibrate. I miss 90% of my calls when it's in my pocket, and answer a lot of texts late.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/tasker/mARi8GKz19c[1-25]

Looks like, when Tasker finally updates its UI, it'll be Holo. However, due to API changes requiring at least Android 3.0 if you want to use Holo, the new Tasker will only support Android 4.0 and higher.

Since I have no idea if that linked correctly, here's the full post from Tasker's developer.

quote:

Pent
Nov 24

Decision time again.

The 3 most pressing major issues currently are:

- scenes are not good enough to be used for app creation
- Tasker UI is dated
- many parts of Tasker are using deprecated APIs which will be
removed by Google at some point

I've decided that the most important issues are the last two.

I apologise sincerely to scene users for repeatedly saying I would be
working on scenes soon, and then changing my mind.

The last 2 issues are closely related, they both require updating to
modern
APIs and I have to decide which minimum Android version I'm going to
support The minimal version has to be at least 3.0 because that's
when the Holo UI was introduced. I went for 4.0 because around 70% of
Tasker users are currently at that level and ICS introduced a large
amount of major APIs.

To sum: it's going to take me at least 2 months during which there'll
be no
updates, and when I've finished, around 30% of users will only be
receiving bug fix
updates.

Most of those 30% of users will have received many major updates since
they first bought Tasker, so I don't feel I'm letting them down
hugely.

On the plus side, Tasker will match better to the OS, be smaller and
more efficient,
future proof (for a while) and able to take advantage of recent APIs
which were too complex to add while having to maintain compatibility
back to Donut (1.6).

That's all after the current beta of course.

Pent

e: Sorry if this has been posted already. I didn't see it here or in the Tasker thread so...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like, when Tasker finally updates its UI, it'll be Holo. However, due to API changes requiring at least Android 3.0 if you want to use Holo, the new Tasker will only support Android 4.0 and higher.
Woooo! I bought Tasker ages ago and haven't used it because I couldn't get past the terrible UI.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The android design people did a mockup of Holo Tasker recently, which might give you a flavour of how it could look

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/04/what-taskers-ui-could-be-as-imagined-by-the-android-team-video/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Skipped straight to the regulars reactions to the redesign mockups and wasn't disappointed:

quote:

DO NOT look at this piece of sh....
That's nub's vision of stupid UI with couple of profiles and contexts in it!
Yeah! Looks smooth and clever but You can't to see overall.
why should I type Action's name instead of couple of taps on category->Action button?!

Excuse me but it's iOSing of UI.

quote:

I could only be assed looking at the screenshots from that article, but it looked pretty horrible. First off, the UI itself was ugly. Straight up ugly. The screenshots show mute/unmute all over the UI. Since when do single actions have any business being visible at profile level? How the living gently caress will my tasks with several dozen actions then look?

IMHO, you should throw a cease and desist order at them and get the entire video taken down. Having a video out there that is completely unrealistic as to how it works serves no one

quote:

"um we're not really going to talk about scenes because I didn't get what that is"

How the gently caress are you allowed to release a design video through official channels when you don't even know that the app you're doing the UI design for has a built in UI design editor?

The fact that these retards work at google explains why the last two versions of Android have had nothing useful in them whatsoever

quote:

Both videos obviously are a very simplistic view of a very complex app. They do have a 'couple ' of nice ideas. I personally do not need a bunch of Slippy,slidey, flashy,Spinney,cool looking things to use a technical app such as tasker ( I would simply play angry birds all day if that were case)
Although I do recognize the need for pent to include these to please the masses. He has a very difficult task to balance function with appearance. In my opinion it is a shame he needs to spend this much time on such things when i feel the same time spent on better and more intuitive instructions would actually hook more users. If they want something simple with Slippy,slidey, flashy,Spinney,cool looking things they should stay with 'Smart Actions' :)

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Vagrancy posted:

Skipped straight to the regulars reactions to the redesign mockups and wasn't disappointed:

These...these are the guys who install Windows 95 skins to Windows 7.

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

Is there an app that allows me to set notification sounds by contact? I am aiming to have text message notifications sound different from emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Daemonqueller posted:

I am aiming to have text message notifications sound different from emails.

Can't you just set a different notification sound in the text message app?

edit: or do you mean you want each of your contacts to have their own text sound and their own email sound?

• Locked thread