Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I didn't have a problem with that, there's a mounted machinegun by the plane and I just C4'd all the heavies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The whole idea of putting a suppressor on a weapon like the Z93 would be to distort the sound of the shot, making it more difficult for enemies to locate the shooter. You don't need subsonic ammunition to do this. The thing is, people think that "suppressor" = "silencer" = something you put on a firearm so people can't hear you shooting it. Generally suppressors aren't used for this, since it's very difficult to make a firearm legitimately silent. Chalk it up to video game logic.

That is exactly my point though, silencers should make it harder to tell if it was a gunshot or some other loud noise, and also make it harder to tell where it came from. But the enemies should all be put on alert if you shoot with one, but not know where you are.

As it stands, they can't tell where you are, and you can pick them off one by one with a silenced .50 cal and they just stand there, unless one of them sees a body. Then they all freak out and start running around looking for you, and eventually they spot you.

If you fire a non silenced sniper, they should come towards you. If you fire a silenced sniper, they should be put on alert, but unsure where it came from.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nerolus posted:

Great game, yes. Terrible story arc, yes.
I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Maybe it's because of that dream-like quality, but I honestly started to buy in to the protagonists destiny as a jungle warrior after a point. It makes sense once you look at it as a kind of myth in the making - things happen because they're supposed to happen, not because it's realistic. The "and I'm going to lead you to glory!" scene was genuinely powerful, in my opinion.

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't worry, that was my least favorite part of the game. They don't do that to you too much :)

seriously the part where they send 3 heavies at you and willis, that part sucked. I could take them by myself, but he just stands there and dies. Its so hard to deal with the heavies AND the pirates AND protect willis AND not die.
Thank God for flamethrowers. It completely hamstrings those fuckers.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't worry, that was my least favorite part of the game. They don't do that to you too much :)

seriously the part where they send 3 heavies at you and willis, that part sucked. I could take them by myself, but he just stands there and dies. Its so hard to deal with the heavies AND the pirates AND protect willis AND not die.

The fight took me three attempts, I'll admit that. On the first two attempts, I didn't realise that *two* trucks show up :doh: Beyond my being somewhat myopic initially, the fight isn't all that[1] (I am only on normal, to be sure; I'm a content-tourist when it comes to shooters). The main problem I was having by that point was that the encounter was yet another three-wave mob-rush in a long, seemingly-endless sequence of the loving things.

They can try to disguise it a bit with trippy cutscenes and QTEs, but mechanically, everything about this game that doesn't involve the open-world, lite-RPG mechanics, hunting, etc, is kind of crappy. I really, *really* hosed up by front-loading with the open-world stuff. I'd be feeling way less sour on the game if I'd spaced things out better. On the other hand, it isn't so wrong to expect less tedious main missions.

[1] Grenades, Moltovs, *and* a grenade launcher :clint: You heavies ain't poo poo!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cardiovorax posted:

Thank God for flamethrowers. It completely hamstrings those fuckers.

See, sometimes I feel like you don't know what weapons you want until you're on a mission, and then you're kinda fubar if you want different weapons.

There's all kinds of times when I wish I had a shotgun, or a machine gun, or an RPG, or the flamethrower, but most of the time I don't use them, so I can't let them take up one of my precious 4 slots.

Guessing at random like "I guess I'll bring the RPG this time" and it ends up its a stealth mission, should have brought my bow...

I really wish they let you change out your loadout at the start of the story mission, right after you figure out what you are gonna do. You can swap in the field, but you can't find the self-store weapon lockers outside of fast travel, which is usually outside of the "mission area" that it locks you into.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Granted, I'm only up to mission 10, but I think that the storyline-missions have been pretty good so far. Regardless of this, the meat of the game is the environment, and I just love to explore it at my leisure. I don't know how repetitive the island will become down the line, but man, I'm enjoying the hell out of it right now.

I'm also very impressed by the fact that my computer - about a year and a half old now - can run this smoothly on high settings. The graphics are, for the most part, spectacular.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

See, sometimes I feel like you don't know what weapons you want until you're on a mission, and then you're kinda fubar if you want different weapons.

I find my load-out of F1 AR, M-700 SR, 1887 Shotgun, GL-94 grenade-thing, plus ample molotovs, grenades, mines, and C4 covers the bases well :haw:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

For those who have explored everything, do you eventually get to see different kinds of terrain. I'm still not that far in and the world is very beautiful though I'm wondering if it's all just jungle and beach. Far Cry 2 at least had jungle areas and savannah areas and some desert that were kind of different

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The second island is certainly a bit different but not radically so. It's more open with rolling hills and winding streams but it's nothing like how the environment changes in Far Cry 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

The second island is certainly a bit different but not radically so. It's more open with rolling hills and winding streams but it's nothing like how the environment changes in Far Cry 2.

Exactly. The second island is less jungle and beach and more Jurassic Park Island, but its no savannah.

There's some cool variety between the towns for sure, and the differences between wide open areas, deep valleys, dense jungles, and swampy rivers are pretty wide.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Barf Wight posted:

Cardboard box, I think you should do a glider/wingsuit guide.

I totally will as soon as I get it and think of something really stupid to do with it.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

Cardiovorax posted:

I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Maybe it's because of that dream-like quality, but I honestly started to buy in to the protagonists destiny as a jungle warrior after a point. It makes sense once you look at it as a kind of myth in the making - things happen because they're supposed to happen, not because it's realistic. The "and I'm going to lead you to glory!" scene was genuinely powerful, in my opinion.

They had so many options to turn it into something so good though. To do more with the villain at the very least (by villain I mean Vaas, the only convincing and well written/acted bad guy). I could argue against how badly written the story is and how terrible it flows together but I want to save everyone from spoilers. That and... well that's just like, your opinion, man.

I was totally waiting for a tyler durden-esque character twist, or to wake up in an animus, or to find some deep underlying meaning behind all that was going on and my character's odd acceptance from being a preppy scared shitless white kid to being a mighty magical jungle warrior murder machine, but there was none. It's totally unexplained, much like everything else that made the plot good.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 10, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nerolus posted:

I was totally waiting for a tyler durden-esque character twist

I was thinking of this myself during the one trippy dream sequence where you see Vaas saying "pull the trigger!" and it switches back and forth who is holding the gun to whom's head. Especially with the game's tagline "welcome to your insanity" or whatever, I was hoping we'd get some real unreliable narrator shenanigans.

I really want to play a game that messes with your perception and your sense of what is real and what isn't. You could especially do some fun fourth wall breaking stuff, make it like an alternate reality game and involve the player in ways like Psycho Mantis saying "so you like to play castlevania?".

But this game is still fun as it is.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Outside of some of the character performances the story hasn't really wowed me, but the story isn't what I came in for and I'm used to video games having weak stories so I'm cool with it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Zaphod42 posted:

I was thinking of this myself during the one trippy dream sequence where you see Vaas saying "pull the trigger!" and it switches back and forth who is holding the gun to whom's head. Especially with the game's tagline "welcome to your insanity" or whatever, I was hoping we'd get some real unreliable narrator shenanigans.

I really want to play a game that messes with your perception and your sense of what is real and what isn't. You could especially do some fun fourth wall breaking stuff, make it like an alternate reality game and involve the player in ways like Psycho Mantis saying "so you like to play castlevania?".

But this game is still fun as it is.
When I got to the first sex scene with Citra, I decided that the whole story is just one big hallucination in Jason's head. Jason is still in Bangkok, passed out in his hotel room with massive amounts of hallucinogenic drugs in his system.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Earwicker posted:

For those who have explored everything, do you eventually get to see different kinds of terrain. I'm still not that far in and the world is very beautiful though I'm wondering if it's all just jungle and beach. Far Cry 2 at least had jungle areas and savannah areas and some desert that were kind of different

Not really. The second island has rocky gray beaches instead of sandy, and less vegetation. That's about it. I definitely miss the variation of scenery from FC2 and I'm probably going to reinstall now that there are mods to make some things less tedious.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dylan's Far Cry 2 Realism Mod is pretty much essential for replaying that game.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
So it turns out bears can use stairs.

I was not protected. I was not protected at all.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I went through most of Island 2, unlocking outposts against my will, looking for the elusive rare Golden Tiger hunt quest.

Until I found out it was in the first island, close to the first outpost, but it was under the "Wanted: Dead" quest it was right next to, which I didn't care to do and thus kept it hidden.

I could have had maximum ammo capacity for most of this game. And I didn't. :doh:

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Beat the game, played it to death and uninstalled it. All without ever encountering a single crocodile and I only ever saw one bear.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Nerolus posted:

Beat the game, played it to death and uninstalled it. All without ever encountering a single crocodile and I only ever saw one bear.

I've only seen a couple crocodiles but I've seen hella bears.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Since it comes up a lot, there's a small patch on the second island that's absolutely teeming with gators. It's toward the west, and it's a small swampy area with wooden walkways all over it. The waters underneath are a gatorfest. It's also where the albino alligator rare PotH mission takes you.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 11, 2012

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

nuncle jimbo posted:

So it turns out bears can use stairs.

That was one of the coolest moments of letting one loose in a camp with sniper towers. It completely destroyed everyone. They were... unprepared.

Flying Jackk
Jan 14, 2012
I would very much like to talk to the "taxidermist" who asks me to put something like 60 bullets in a bear to get the skin. He might be getting close to the definition of insanity.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cardboard Box posted:

Dylan's Far Cry 2 Realism Mod is pretty much essential for replaying that game.

How much does it actually change the feel of the game?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Not for the full game, and off topic, but this is still one of the best fourth wall breaking moments in a videogame I've seen.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I haven't actually seen a gator yet, but that didn't stop me from being eaten by one.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

How much does it actually change the feel of the game?

Not drastically, but it's a lot less tedious to play. It makes malaria a much less frequent problem, weapons last longer, enemies are less bullet spongy, the chance that enemies at checkpoints will attack you is cut in half, amongst other alterations. If you didn't enjoy Far Cry 2 at all, you still won't with that mod. The fundamental flaws are still there.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 11, 2012

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I jumped off a hang glider about 150 meters up, landed in the water, and was immediately attacked by a gator.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SamBishop posted:

That was one of the coolest moments of letting one loose in a camp with sniper towers. It completely destroyed everyone. They were... unprepared.

In the very last outpost I captured, a komodo dragon rolled up right after I took out the very first guy. Those privateers were woefully unequipped to deal with it. It took out the entire base, heavies and all, then started coming after me. I actually felt bad about putting it down after it had done so much to help me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpazmasterX posted:

In the very last outpost I captured, a komodo dragon rolled up right after I took out the very first guy. Those privateers were woefully unequipped to deal with it. It took out the entire base, heavies and all, then started coming after me. I actually felt bad about putting it down after it had done so much to help me.

Same just happened with a tiger, I was trying like the third time to take a camp then suddenly it's tiger time and everyone had no loving clue what to do.

Then I shot the tiger with flaming arrows and cackled.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of wish that the memory cards had more details than just clinical explanations of the profitability of drugs.

...I kind of also wish I could meet the character who wrote all of them because they seem more professional and intelligent than either Hoyt or Vaas. Like there's some other druglord financial genius running everything. Like Gus from Breaking Bad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cardboard Box posted:

Not drastically, but it's a lot less tedious to play. It makes malaria a much less frequent problem, weapons last longer, enemies are less bullet spongy, the chance that enemies at checkpoints will attack you is cut in half, amongst other alterations. If you didn't enjoy Far Cry 2 at all, you still won't with that mod. The fundamental flaws are still there.

I dunno, being able to die to a single burst of rifle fire sounds more tedious than anything in the vanilla game. I like "realistic" touches, but not anything that extreme, honestly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DrNutt posted:

I dunno, being able to die to a single burst of rifle fire sounds more tedious than anything in the vanilla game. I like "realistic" touches, but not anything that extreme, honestly.

Yeah, if you want that, play the Ghost Recon games...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, that ending sure was disappointing but oh well. Amazing game nonetheless.

Speaking of animals attacking outposts, I was surveying a pirate camp preparing to fail miserably at stealth when all of a sudden like five komodo dragons just waltzed in and murdered everyone and their little dogs, too. That's how I got my second stealth takeover for the skill.

Heavy takedown really needs to unlock earlier because gently caress trying to stealth an outpost without that or sitting a mile away with a sniper rifle.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's possible to stealth an outpost with heavies on the first island. The thing is, Vaas' heavies are not fully armored. They only wear face masks. If you distract one, you can headshot him silently from behind.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Uhhh, what's the deal with the game switching the difficulty down without prompting me first?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speedball posted:

It's possible to stealth an outpost with heavies on the first island. The thing is, Vaas' heavies are not fully armored. They only wear face masks. If you distract one, you can headshot him silently from behind.

I didn't say you couldn't. I said gently caress doing it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DrNutt posted:

It's not that fast honestly.

The base game has a fairly large problem with bulletspongeness. Enemies can take almost a full clip from the starter assault rifle/two shotgun blasts to take down, and even you are a walking god of death with 50+ health bars due to how quickly syringes are applied.

His mod makes it so a quick burst will take out enemies, but you are still fairly tough, just not invincible.

The real key is the reduction for checkpoints. Being able to barrel through half of them WITHOUT getting your car shot up/being able to peacefully not have a dead car just for being in the wrong place makes the game much less frustrating. You'll still likely burn out on the concept of checkpoints around zone two, but it's not as painful as it originally was.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I have to say, I was a bit miffed at how many people here are saying how easy/boring it was to get stealth outpost takeovers by just silenced-sniping from a million miles away. Whenever I took over outposts i was upclose and personal, mainly with takedowns and silenced SMGs.

But using the wingsuit to glide from one cliffrock to another to get the perfect angle on the last two surviving sniping guards was :flashfap: as all hell.

• Locked thread