Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: killing four leopards in a row with a bow without being killed myself in the process is turning out to be rather difficult. It's not possible to one-shot leopards with arrows no matter what you do, right?
That loving mission. :argh: I ended up cheesing it using the syringe that lets you see the position of animals so I could tag them with the camera, then firing at a leopard, legging it back to a rock near the hut where you collect arrows that the AI pathing couldn't climb and shooting the spotted bastard from my little rock island.

Speaking of AI pathing, I switched it on in a map I created and found it's laughably awful. I'd assumed that you would get to somehow 'paint' areas where the AI could go to create paths around buildings, etc. But nope, the blue zone included water (so characters would run straight into it and drown) and let people get stuck running on the spot against low walls, barrels, lamp posts, bits of garbage... A slight dip or bump in the ground? As impassable as the Grand Canyon.

(Another annoying thing when creating your own maps is that you can do things in the editor that you can't in an actual game. My map had a harbour, and I made sure there were places where I could climb out of the water without needing a ladder. Worked fine in testing, but not when it was uploaded, dammit!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Earwicker posted:

Why are people talking about realism in this game when from the very beginning you have a magical camera that lets you see animals and people through walls.

It's not about realism. It's about it being loving annoying that I have all this free agency in the world, yet the campaign has four loving instances of "HURRR ME DO THING AND GET BONK SLEEPY TIME".

I think a good rule of thumb is just ignore the main story.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I think it's the conversation that pops up about any game that isn't Dinner Date.

So yeah, finished off the story. Can't disagree with a lot of what's been said about the ending and the boss fight QTEs (at least they're not as terrible as what Deus Ex : Human Revolution threw you into), but was the trip worth it? Definitely. Lot of good (if slightly corny) characters along the way, I actually thought the most tragic figure was Dennis, because, well, (if you take the option to save your friends) he stabs Citra whom he was obviously besotted with. There isn't any quick way to go back and do the other ending (as unpleasant as I found the prospect) is there? Dumb save system...

There was some point where I thought Jason Brody was going to go all Kwisatz Haderach on everybody, what with all the drugs he was taking and seeing through walls and poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Payndz posted:

Speaking of AI pathing, I switched it on in a map I created and found it's laughably awful. I'd assumed that you would get to somehow 'paint' areas where the AI could go to create paths around buildings, etc. But nope, the blue zone included water (so characters would run straight into it and drown) and let people get stuck running on the spot against low walls, barrels, lamp posts, bits of garbage... A slight dip or bump in the ground? As impassable as the Grand Canyon.

It sounds like they didn't want to "burden" players (especially since the editor is on console, with no mouse) with creating nav meshes, so they wrote an algorithm to autogenerate them. And of course, that's not going to be perfect for every situation.

That's not really bad AI so much as just limited tools.

It'd be nice if they let you create them yourself as an option or at least tweak the nav mesh it generated, but we're lucky we got an editor at all, frankly.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

My only character gripe involves (mid-game spoilers) Vaas. I payed attention to his mo-cap stuff because it was really good, and whenever he mad mention to killing someone, he makes a "pop them in the head" gesture with his hand. But of course, when he asks you, for the third time, the definition of insanity, what does he do?

Shoot you in the chest.
:bang:

Maybe it's a stupid gripe, but that bugged me a lot.

So you would rather he shot you in the head and end the game there? Unless there is some killer tat that can save Brody from a lead slug to the cranium, I doubt he would get up from that one.

I suppose they could have hand-waved it away New Vegas style, with the addition of some hallucinatory drugs and Brody waking up to someone randomly inking him up again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Morter posted:

My only character gripe involves (mid-game spoilers) Vaas. I payed attention to his mo-cap stuff because it was really good, and whenever he mad mention to killing someone, he makes a "pop them in the head" gesture with his hand. But of course, when he asks you, for the third time, the definition of insanity, what does he do?

Shoot you in the chest.
:bang:

Maybe it's a stupid gripe, but that bugged me a lot.

No, I'm with you. I'm getting really, really loving sick of the getting shot from point blank as a plot device but living thing. Its become a cliche.

Off the top of my head, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas, Kill Bill, and I know there's many more.

Plus lots of shows pull the "oh no he's dead, oh wait he was wearing body armor" trick

I mean, honestly, Vaas shoots you in the chest and doesn't shoot you again in the chest or head for good measure? Hard to believe. He doesn't notice there's no blood? That's really, really hard to believe. Comes off waaaaay too contrived. "haha, my lighter!" No. At the very least his ribs would all be broken and he'd probably suffocate under those bodies anyways. I'm fine with games being unrealistic, but be internally consistent, and don't make huge unskippable moments in the plot based on really thin reasoning.

Ddraig posted:

The mocap in this game really is great. Sam in particular is fantastic.

I also thought they were going the opposite way with Willis, where it turns out he's insane and there are no operatives on the island but he's competent enough to dispel those fears.

I thought the same with Willis too! The whole "What? No, I never leave here, too dangerous. I have agents in the field." yeah, totally sounded like the guy was crazy or something. Ends up he was probably smarter than everybody, he got the gently caress out!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 11, 2012

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Pochoclo posted:

I think a good rule of thumb is just ignore the main story.

When I get bored I like to make up my own story. So wait--the police knew internal affairs was setting them up?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harry Joe posted:

It's my biggest pet peeve with open world games where factions are fighting. You do all the work for one side, conquering every piece of land while your buds just come in to clean up the corpses and your enemies just sit on their asses waiting for the angel of death to stumble upon their outpost and kill them all. Give me a game where it actually feels like there are two sides that are warring and where your action, or lack of action, actually makes an impact on the war.

Have you played STALKER? Do it now.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Buck was way more interesting than Vaas. I loved his strict history professor shtick. The set-up to the boss fight with him was bad, though. He comes at you with a knife when you're packing and absurd amount of firepower and body armor.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 11, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deleuzionist posted:

Do you know if that no-HUD mod affects QTE prompts? I had a happy time playing with a crude no-HUD mod until I went to the awful TESTING UNIT and got to enjoy a double QTE without visible button prompts.

Can confirm mod removes pretty much everything BUT quick time events.

Your minimap is GONE, but you can still see your health. You can't see wallhacks and the camera doesn't mark people, and objective notifications only show up on the menu if you pause the game. Things don't flash (plants, corpses, weapons). Also the "stealth meter" white detector thingy is removed completely.

But things like "press E to drive" still show up. Seems pretty ideal.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Buck was way more interesting than Vaas. I loved his strict history professor shtick. The set-up to the boss fight with him was bad, though. He comes at you with a knife when you're packing and absurd amount of firepower and body armor.

Yeah, during the entire fight with Buck I was thinking 'Jason, you have four guns! Shoot him in the face!'

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Well, it's really hard to get around that and obey the internal narrative logic that       Vaas        had set up without it being the end of the game for the player. You could throw in a QTE to get out of that, but then we wouldn't have had the crawl your way out of a mass grave thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Where are the game saves kept anyway? None of the places I expected them to be have them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Dramicus posted:

So you would rather he shot you in the head and end the game there? Unless there is some killer tat that can save Brody from a lead slug to the cranium, I doubt he would get up from that one.

Well no, I wasn't asking for an extreme alternative to take place. It's just really takes a dump on his really good body language and "crazy" persona when he's supposedly a right hand man to the big bad and doesn't even attempt to effectively take you out when he had you down and out. It just seemed lazy on the part of him and the writers. :shrug:

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave
So is the shotgun challenge the easiest way to make money? I'm also wondering what people are doing to make the game more interesting outside of the main story which I really loving hate. I've spent most of my time conquering outposts and upgrading everything I have but that's wearing thin and almost complete

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
My favorite moment in this game so far is attacking a field full of pirates where there just happen to be fuel barrels, blowing up said barrel and as a machete wielding enemy runs up to me, one of the exploded barrels lands on him and kills him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dramicus posted:

I suppose they could have hand-waved it away New Vegas style, with the addition of some hallucinatory drugs and Brody waking up to someone randomly inking him up again.

How about just don't include extremely contrived plot elements? Its not like it was necessary for the game story at all. You act like it was some major linchpin that couldn't have been done without or done in another way, but that isn't the case at all.

Just cut that scene. There's no need for Jason to constantly get knocked out, its just weird.

Or, alternatively, have Vaas come by with a ton of pirates so you're clearly outnumbered, and the game says "Press E to hide under bodies". Then You could have a scene where Vaas taunts you "Come out you chicken gently caress! Stop hiding and let me kill you!" Then he gets a call from Hoyt and doesn't have time to search the bodies, so he lights them on fire and leaves. Surviving fire is more realistic than surviving a bullet to the chest. And that was off the top of my head, if I was a professional game writer with months to spend on this, I could come up with something much better. :v:

That works 10x better than shoots you in the body from point blank but you're okay because whoopsie the lighter!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 11, 2012

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

The Balance Niggy posted:

So is the shotgun challenge the easiest way to make money? I'm also wondering what people are doing to make the game more interesting outside of the main story which I really loving hate. I've spent most of my time conquering outposts and upgrading everything I have but that's wearing thin and almost complete

I can certainly tell you redoing the shotgun challenge over and over is a bad way to make the game more interesting.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
How exactly do you access that Lost Expedition DLC? I vaguely remember entering the code somewhere...

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I put a mine on the front of my jeep, then threw like 11 C4 on the rest of it. The plan was to bail it into an outpost and kill everybody at once.

On the way there, a loving seagull flew across the road in front of me.
GAME OVER.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

UP AND ADAM posted:

I can certainly tell you redoing the shotgun challenge over and over is a bad way to make the game more interesting.

That's good, because the two statements were completely unrelated.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

evilentity posted:

How exactly do you access that Lost Expedition DLC? I vaguely remember entering the code somewhere...

There's little mission markers on the world map.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hahahaha wow... I was sitting in a bush trying to figure out my way into this camp when I heard a tiger growling somewhere behind me. I turn around and just see the orange/black moving between some leaves directly behind me, poo poo my pants, and book it in the opposite direction. I accidentally ran right into the middle of a group of three boars about 50 yards away; literally turned around the other way to see a wild boar in my face who proceeded to headbutt me to death.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

explosivo posted:

Hahahaha wow... I was sitting in a bush trying to figure out my way into this camp when I heard a tiger growling somewhere behind me. I turn around and just see the orange/black moving between some leaves directly behind me, poo poo my pants, and book it in the opposite direction. I accidentally ran right into the middle of a group of three boars about 50 yards away; literally turned around the other way to see a wild boar in my face who proceeded to headbutt me to death.

Yeah I got caught by my first Crocodile yesterday. I'd always managed to spot them and kill them from range before, but there was one lurking right near a plant I wanted to harvest yesterday and I had no idea, next thing I know I'm being dragged under water and spun while I stab it in the head with my machete.

I haven't gone swimming since :stare:

And I need shark skins for my new wallet right now :gonk:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

UP AND ADAM posted:

Farming in a game is generally not the most interesting thing to do, no. :v:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
If you haven't done the Frag Me Up challenge yet then you are missing something amazing and hilarious.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poptart_fairy posted:

Where are the game saves kept anyway? None of the places I expected them to be have them.

C:/programdata/Orbit

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

They are not rare, you're just unlucky or something. From Amanaki Village, walk due south. Now you're in Tapir territory. Kill tapirs, get money, etc.
You didn't read the rest of my post. That area is always swarming with pirates for some reason, besides trying to kill me, they scare away the tapirs. I haven't gotten a single tapir kill there.

But since then I did that mission where you need to kill the white bellied tapir and I killed enough normal tapirs during it to take care of my tapir shortage.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 11, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are the lost Expeditions pretty cool?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

NESguerilla posted:

Are the lost Expeditions pretty cool?

The completely unnecessary Bioshock reference aggravated me. Other than that they're just nice little cash boosters

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Why would an easter egg aggravate you?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Crocodiles are a lot less scary once you realize that if you're on top of the QTE, they don't damage you at all.

Not sure what's the deal with that...

PS, for those of you who haven't had the fortune of encountering one, there's a crocodile...farm...in the southwest of the second island. Look for the grid of streams by a river. It's also the site of a hunting challenge.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 11, 2012

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a thread people may want to bookmark: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734046-Mods-for-Far-Cry-3

Someone just made a mod that combines Gibbed's weapon attachment unlocks with also unlocking all the guns from the 2nd island. The problem is he made it for patch 1.01 for some stupid reason.

If I have time (I'm supposed to be studying for my exams...) I'll do it for patch 1.02 if I can figure out what file he changed.

*Edit* Just tried and I have no idea what file he modified after extracting them. Someone else will have to do it if the mod author doesn't.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 11, 2012

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Someone made a mod that:

- Removes auto-reload.
- Allows for more attachments.
- Modifies range, firing-rate, magazine-size, recoil and reload time for all weapons to match real-life counterparts:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734046-Mods-for-Far-Cry-3?s=b3335fa5fd452ed65328d8c747f5b817&p=8788522&viewfull=1#post8788522

Also, a hex edit to remove the so-called "wall-hacking" feature from the camera:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/734046-Mods-for-Far-Cry-3?p=8781800&viewfull=1#post8781800

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 11, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm hunting everyone in the world using a composite bow and machete, why has nobody added dinosaurs to the game yet.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm hunting everyone in the world using a composite bow and machete, why has nobody added dinosaurs to the game yet.

They did, but the cassowaries killed them all.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
How is the multiplayer in this game? Seems like most of the discussion is focused around the single-player. I really want a shooty multiplayer FPS.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I'm not very far into the game, but I'm assuming hunting absolutely everything needed for crafting loot bags and the like as I've been doing is the best thing to do at the start?

I'm not really sure how I plan to upgrade myself although its probably going to be mostly guns

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scott Bakula posted:

So I'm not very far into the game, but I'm assuming hunting absolutely everything needed for crafting loot bags and the like as I've been doing is the best thing to do at the start?

I'm not really sure how I plan to upgrade myself although its probably going to be mostly guns
Yeah to the animal hunting and loot bag making, but don't spend money on guns since the game will give you them for free as you activate radio towers. Spend your money on gun UPGRADES instead.

edit: and paint them crazy colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scott Bakula posted:

I would recommend starting with making bigger holsters so you can hold more weapons, and then maybe bigger ammo pouches next since I found myself running out of ammo frequently in the early game. Also worth it to buy an extended mag for whatever your favorite gun is.

• Locked thread