Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

Is there still no app that will let you see alt text on Android?

You mean image titles on websites? How would you even do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

You mean image titles on websites? How would you even do that?

I don't know. I just want something that I can see hover text for comics like xkcd and such.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I don't know. I just want something that I can see hover text for comics like xkcd and such.
http://m.xkcd.com solves that specific case. Also that is title text, not alt text (which is for screen readers). Sorry, don't know of a better solution.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mega Comrade posted:

Is this the performance patch people have been talking about?

Did the awful app just throw a reply into the wrong thread again? :v:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody know how swiftkey flow updates will be handled? Pushed through the app? Notified through the app but download from the browser?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Did the awful app just throw a reply into the wrong thread again? :v:

Yep. I thought that had been fixed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like there's a Google Currents update to Google Currents 2.0.

quote:

What's new in 2.0?
* Edition sidebar - quickly access your editions within categories such as business, sports, etc.
* Fast scan - Vertical swipe to scan an edition, horizontal swipe advances to next edition
* Edition-section chooser - Choose “Customize” to filter out sections
* Unread marks - Read stories are marked. (Setting to hide)
* Breaking stories - ranked by Google News. Links to full length content.
* Saved stories - star for future reference
* New catalog design
* Widget

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.currents

e: So, I just updated Currents, it runs a lot smoother, it looks nicer, yada yada except...

All of my subscriptions are gone.

Okay...weird. I guess I can find them all again but Jesus...

Also, it seems they're going to start pushing Reader away (or just replace Reader with this) because there's much less of a presence of Google Reader than before.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 12, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't see the "Does not murder battery life" bullet point.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It's stupid that it didn't have a widget in the first place. Now I can do away with Reader.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Assuming I just want a convenient way to keep up with my RSS feeds across multiple devices, is there any reason to dump Reader for Currents?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Currents is also tied to your Google account and has the reader built in so you don't have to open your browser for most articles.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Looks like it doesn't sync reading progress with Reader though, which makes it kind of useless if you read feeds on a computer too. Oh well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Took a while for my subscriptions to show back up, still an odd thing but at least I don't have to readd them all.

I'd say Currents is going to probably replace News and Weather moreso than it does Reader. Maybe both.

I'd say the next version of Android will only have Currents instead of News and Weather. It'll probably have a separate weather app or no default weather app at all considering weather is in Google Now as a card.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've been trying to download vice city and it's just getting stuck on "downloading"

This was after pressing download and waiting about five minutes

Is it a play store problem

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I switched over to FlipBoard temporarily while Currents was broken. Anyone have a preference between the two?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mister Snips posted:

I've been trying to download vice city and it's just getting stuck on "downloading"

Is it downloading that whole 1.39GB at once? I'm guessing that would take more than five minutes, and installation in general might be a bit slow maybe

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The issue with Currents remains that not all sites that I have in reader have a Currents edition and feed handling in currents is poor in general.

So, it's not going to replace Reader (or, in my case, Pulse tied into reader) anytime soon.

Google really needs to start going after the content heavy blogs more to get them into currents. For example, there's no Ars Technica. The same can be said for Cracked.com. Anandtech would also be a good content fit for their in depth reviews.

All of these sites have articles that are more at home in a magazine than blog feed, but they aren't available in Currents.

Meanwhile, sites like Engadget and Droid Life have Currents editions which is rather pointless since their blog posts are rarely more than a paragraph or two.

As an aside though, I'm completely floored that the Pittsburgh Post Gazette has a Currents edition. I'm really trying to figure out how that happened since their website is an abomination. The only thing I can figure is some Google worker in town pushed for it to make it happen.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I honestly don't understand the appeal of Currents, or apps like it. Reader isn't pretty but it's functional; I can see all my feeds in one list and just scroll through and read the stories I want.

These "digital magazine" apps are a mess. I constantly miss stories because I forget to go check this section or that section.

Maybe I'm just not seeing something in the whole layout.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

baka kaba posted:

Is it downloading that whole 1.39GB at once? I'm guessing that would take more than five minutes, and installation in general might be a bit slow maybe

It should give you a proper progress bar. With amount downloaded and everything. And i'm up to twenty minutes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Good point - I had the same issue when YouTube updated the other day actually, I closed the Play Store app but the notification was stuck on Downloading or Installing. Maybe restart the installation and see what happens? Or look in your Downloads app, I don't know if it would show up there though

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've tried restarting my phone and trying different networks and clearing the data on the media downloader app and play store app

Now it's past the refund window :dawkins101:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mister Snips posted:

I've tried restarting my phone and trying different networks and clearing the data on the media downloader app and play store app

Now it's past the refund window :dawkins101:
The refund window isn't even supposed to start until the download is complete.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

xkcdViewer gives the text when you tap on the comic. It pops up a little notification window with it, and a Close button.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Require More Fire posted:

I honestly don't understand the appeal of Currents, or apps like it. Reader isn't pretty but it's functional; I can see all my feeds in one list and just scroll through and read the stories I want.

These "digital magazine" apps are a mess. I constantly miss stories because I forget to go check this section or that section.

Maybe I'm just not seeing something in the whole layout.

I like the magazine format of Zite because it gives me a bunch of random popular articles for the last 0-2 days. I don't understand Pulse/Currents where I want to see every Verge, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, etc article where they might post 20-50 blog posts in a day and most are crap and not worth my time. Flipboard is good if your Twitter feed posts good articles

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

gariig posted:

I like the magazine format of Zite because it gives me a bunch of random popular articles for the last 0-2 days. I don't understand Pulse/Currents where I want to see every Verge, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, etc article where they might post 20-50 blog posts in a day and most are crap and not worth my time. Flipboard is good if your Twitter feed posts good articles

But that IS the point of something like Pulse. You scan through those posts quickly and only read the ones you are interested in.

I don't like things that choose news articles for me. With something like Flipboard, I always have this nagging feeling that I'm missing something.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I use Flipboard to read Google Reader/Twitter/Facebook. If I completely run out of stupid poo poo to read I'll just flip through the main magazine style feed or whatever. Flipboard on Android seems a little buggy sadly.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Possibly stupid GoodNews question. Can I update specific feeds or specific folders and not the whole thing? I have it set to manual update only, and yesterday I wanted to update my Podcast folder. I couldn't figure out how to update that section and had to wait for the whole thing to refresh.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Snips posted:

Every time that's happened to me, stopping the download and starting it again worked fine.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Poweramp was half off so I gave it a whirl. I was sporting the DoubleTwist free version for a while, but this trumps it and then some.

I'm a little peeved that it's picking up my ringtones and notifications folders in the library, however. Does the delete function remove them from the library or remove them completely?

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 13, 2012

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I have an iPod 4, so I also have iTunes. Is there an app that will (let me) stream my iTunes library to my Android tablet?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

CancerStick posted:

Possibly stupid GoodNews question. Can I update specific feeds or specific folders and not the whole thing? I have it set to manual update only, and yesterday I wanted to update my Podcast folder. I couldn't figure out how to update that section and had to wait for the whole thing to refresh.

Have you tried long pressing a feed/folder?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Poweramp was half off so I gave it a whirl. I was sporting the DoubleTwist free version for a while, but this trumps it and then some.

I'm a little peeved that it's picking up my ringtones and notifications folders in the library, however. Does the delete function remove them from the library or remove them completely?
I think the delete function removes them completely but you can specify which folders the app will scan in the settings.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The refund window isn't even supposed to start until the download is complete.

Yeah. I bought the game via the web today while at the office, intending to have it delivered to my N7 and it'd have done the 1GB download while I was at work. I came home tonight to see my N7 doing what Mister Snips posted above.

I canceled the download and the refund option was still there, even though it was a good 6 hours since I requested the install. I hit refund and got an email from the store saying they gave me my money back.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2012/12/sound-search-for-google-play-widget-now.html

The Sound Search app from Jelly Bean has made it's way to ICS as well. Google has made the app available on the Play Store for all 4.0+ devices.

If you have 4.2, it'll let you put it on the lockscreen too.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Have you tried long pressing a feed/folder?

Yea. Long pressing on a folder does nothing and long pressing an individual feed brings up a link to the settings for that feed. There is nothing (that I saw) in the settings for an individual feed to just refresh that one.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a lite launcher for my ASUS TF700. I want to replace the stoxk one as it eats up 30MB of RAM. I also have another app called System UI that eats up another 30, but not much I can do about that.

I want to reduce a lot of RAM usage by either replacing or removing apps.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SlayVus posted:

I'm looking for a lite launcher for my ASUS TF700. I want to replace the stoxk one as it eats up 30MB of RAM. I also have another app called System UI that eats up another 30, but not much I can do about that.

Wasn't your Transformer destroyed by a repair shop?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

SlayVus posted:

System UI is your notification bar, among other things. Definitely don't do anything to that one.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Wasn't your Transformer destroyed by a repair shop?

It was, but I got a replacement. I will sell the other one when I get it back from the repair shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there a way/setting to make Google Voice send/recieve SMS via your carrier #, and not your GV #?

• Locked thread