Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Zombywuf posted:

I only ever fence with steel, so this is less of a concern for me.

If you guys all use steel, steel gauntlets should be fine. Often not everyone's poo poo can stand up to steel, in my experience. And it makes ringen... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Some kid threw up from pushing himself in sparring today. It was awesome. Mostly because he ran out of the ring and didn't mess it up.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You're at Redline right? Glad you kids are training so hard. I won't be back in the gym until after new years most likely.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Ligur posted:

And after watching the video I posted above, please avail yourself to this if you feel like flashy kicks. I love that poo poo. It's more kick orietend than the other clip and blows my mind how fast they move, kick and throw hand-foot combinations AND slip all at the same time.
You had me at Chemical Brothers. :syoon:

But yeah, drat that is some kick-rear end looking poo poo.

Meeks Sisu posted:

I think a lot of the bad rep that TKD gets is because the majority of schools are really awful. In the city that I was living in, there was one good school that had an average of around seven to eight years of training to get a black belt. The rest of the schools averaged around one to two years. They also taught lovely technique and didn't put nearly enough emphasis on strength and conditioning training.
My instructor said this about Karate and constantly badtalked it as a running joke in our dojang. He said how there was a rival Karate dojo in a town where his instructor worked and set up HIS first TKD dojang, one of the first in Scotland.

Long story short, challenge accepted, my instructor was a 6th kup, axe-kicked a Karate blackbelt in ten seconds flat.
Those were his words. Now, he's an awesome guy, and I totally think he rocks and he's a real swell guy, so I'm just quoting verbatim what he said.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
How many bricks can he break at once?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Meeks Sisu posted:

so I'm looking forward to feeling like absolute poo poo during the first couple of weeks of training.

Don't sweat it, duder. You'd feel like absolute poo poo in the beginning even if you weren't out of shape. :)

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

FinalGamer posted:

Hah, alrighty then, thanks for the education and making me feel better about knowing TKD :D so what other martial arts out there are best known for crazy-awesome kicks, or are at the very least centred around legwork?

I know of kickboxing of course, and the legendary Muay Thai but that's about it.

Why not just do Muay Thai?

One of the main benefits I've found of Muay Thai over other forms like Taekwando or Karate is that the style of kicks still works when you're quite tired. Push kicks and thai kicks don't require hella accuracy, they work in large-scale motions. I guess some people have a problem with falling over while tired doing a thai kick.

I guess the question is what you want to use the martial art for. If all you want to use it for is looking cool while kicking, then check out savate but don't wear the uniform.

Typo92
Nov 6, 2009
So i've been doing grappling for a few months and i'm looking to get into basic striking. Im gonna get some gear for for Christmas, but i'm on a limited budget. What are the essential items one with no previous experience needs for kickboxing/sparring? I already have a mouthguard and shorts w/integrated cup.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Typo92 posted:

So i've been doing grappling for a few months and i'm looking to get into basic striking. Im gonna get some gear for for Christmas, but i'm on a limited budget. What are the essential items one with no previous experience needs for kickboxing/sparring? I already have a mouthguard and shorts w/integrated cup.

A good pair of gloves above anything else since youll always use them, you can hit pads with them and hit the bag with them etc, and you should get some hand wraps and learn to wrap your hands. Then only if you like striking and want to continue in it, and are ready to spar after a couple weeks/months or whatever then get a good headgear (important) and some shin pads (shin guards being the least important thing you need until you are sparring hard with kicks to the head and stuff which wont be for a while probably)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

When I had no where to train I did Wing Tsun, do what you can if you love martial arts. Look around if something else opens up, but mainly who cares what you do, you're not going to be a pro kick boxer or MMA champ doing TKD but if you're doing it for fitness, to meet people and enjoy yourself, go for it.

The problem with TKD is that there's very few schools that teach what it used to be when it first started popping up in the 60s.

For those that don't know, IIRC TKD came from Hapkido, or both came from Daito Ryu Justu (I probably spelled that wrong). A similar kicking syllabus (to it's original incarnation) is actually taught in Kyokushin, just the way the techniques are thrown is more about hurting / disabling your opponent than about scoring points.

It's become something of a punchline because of the sheer volume of TKD schools out there where you see people bobbing up and down playing tag with their feet. Then they put pads on everyone and do it for medals every four years.

It's also got no real throws or grappling unlike some forms of Karate, and Muai Thai.

It is an odd phenomena but TKD schools just seem to be one of the most exploitative to make money and it's gone from being an art where it was designed to be faster than Karate using angles and movement to evade the straight line brutality of karate to an abstraction of a martial art. I've even had an offer to be given my black belt in TKD if I trained for 7 months and paid $300.00 cash to the instructor when we got talking after he saw me doing some combination drills on a heavy bag at my gym.

Like with most martial arts if your instruction is good it'll be more effective than a style with credibility but lovely instruction.

Also be wary of anyone who says they can teach you JKD, because it's not a martial art, it's more a concept of training in martial arts. There was never a set syllabus handed down by Bruce lee who was notorious for cross training and changing his footwork and stance depending on who he was sparring with.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Metal Gear posted:

You should check out Keiji Ozaki while you're at it. Super technical striking will never not look awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZfzqCmt5W8

This is like the complete opposite of super technical. I can't even count how many times he misses his strikes and the moronic video maker even slows down some of the highlights so you can see how clearly keiji missed. And looking at his records, they're exactly what you'd expect from that type of wild, uncontrolled fighter. A random Mish mash of wins and losses, with very few ko's and all going to decision because no one knows what the gently caress he's doing. Looks like he got torched in k1 also, rarely participating, and only one win by split decision

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I think the guy who did it just loves spinning strikes no matter if they hit or not and then slo-mos those techniques... despite the results.

I sort of get where Guilty is coming from, because the videos he posts are millimeter calculated MT encounters with minimal movement IIRC and beautiful in their own way (and certainly what I figure great MT technique is made of) but I, for one, can also appreciate Ozaki spinning around like a motherfucker.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've trained at three muay thai gyms. At two of them, which were more traditional, you pretty much just needed gloves (expensive), wraps (cheap), and a mouthguard (cheap), but at my current gym they use shinguards (expensive) nearly every lesson for partner kick drills. I think it's rarer, though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ligur posted:

I think the guy who did it just loves spinning strikes no matter if they hit or not and then slo-mos those techniques... despite the results.

I sort of get where Guilty is coming from, because the videos he posts are millimeter calculated MT encounters with minimal movement IIRC and beautiful in their own way (and certainly what I figure great MT technique is made of) but I, for one, can also appreciate Ozaki spinning around like a motherfucker.

Where are these videos? I missed them and want to see. I love really plane efficient striking. I loving love the Klitchkos even if their fights are like watching paint dry.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Xguard86 posted:

Where are these videos? I missed them and want to see. I love really plane efficient striking. I loving love the Klitchkos even if their fights are like watching paint dry.

Went through my post history to watch some good fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQvvVowW2HA&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUpFNovPlkKcXRJcUQGfUhqg&v=LczXRTlh__0#t=114s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL_jBxmQ3t4&t=6m15s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QUy0p_j1wtE

Two Parter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z95oLaR36DM&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evc3JnGZ8PU&feature=related

This is probably the one you're going to want to watch the most, one of the best fights, brain vs. brawn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fobuj8J-vZA&feature=player_embedded

This fight gets so technical, they don't even fight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDL_1L8F9s&feature=youtu.be
edit: I think my favorite part is when Thepsuthin fakes a teep, Antuan fakes a grab, Thepsuthin sees the fake, tries for a real teep, sees he's not going to make it, keeps the fake up, Antuan makes the grab, Thepsuthin knows this will happen, and pulls back before Antuan can score any points. It's like they're both psychic

Sitmonchai highlight reel. Muay Thai's "boxing pro" (still no boxer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fec32bOLvLw&feature=youtu.be

Guilty fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 18, 2012

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
It's TKD History Time Y'all

BlindSite posted:

For those that don't know, IIRC TKD came from Hapkido, or both came from Daito Ryu Justu (I probably spelled that wrong). A similar kicking syllabus (to it's original incarnation) is actually taught in Kyokushin, just the way the techniques are thrown is more about hurting / disabling your opponent than about scoring points.

TKD actually comes from Shotokan. It originates in post-occupation Korean schools (kwans) teaching what they learned from Japan. The Korean government wanted to have a national martial art that was "uniquely Korean" so they tried to organize the kwan heads to create one style. A larger emphasis was placed on kicking to make it similar to Taekkyeon, an ancient Korean martial art focused on kicking that more or less completely died out before/because of the Japanese occupation and has absolutely zero relation to TKD in any way. The name "Tae Kwon Do" was chosen because "Taekwon" sounds like "Taekkyeon" so they could pretend that TKD is 2000 years old.

Over time an even larger emphasis was placed on kicking because it still looked "too Japanese" and that's how we end up with what's in the Olympics. There's a lot more politics involved but that's it in a nutshell: the Korean government wanted a Korean and definitely not Japanese martial art to be super popular worldwide. WTF sparring fine as a sport but completely inadequate as a training tool for the underlying martial art. Dojangs that spar under non-stupid rules exist but are incredibly rare, which is why I'm doing Muay Thai and Judo on the side.

It's ironic that TKD started out as Korean Karate when nowadays it is frequently (and unfavorably) compared to Kyokushin, a Karate style founded by a Korean.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com

Guilty posted:

This is like the complete opposite of super technical. I can't even count how many times he misses his strikes and the moronic video maker even slows down some of the highlights so you can see how clearly keiji missed. And looking at his records, they're exactly what you'd expect from that type of wild, uncontrolled fighter. A random Mish mash of wins and losses, with very few ko's and all going to decision because no one knows what the gently caress he's doing. Looks like he got torched in k1 also, rarely participating, and only one win by split decision

I guess I'm just also partial to the guys that try to go out and have fun with it. It's why I really like Genki Sudo too. No other fighter will come out to the cage dressed as a KFC bucket robot and do spinning backfists for days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjCfdJbb6g

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Genki had a unique striking/taunting style that he backed up with a genius level grappling game. He was able to goof around in standup because he had total confidence that his ability to wrassle would see him through. He's a big favorite of mine too, this takedown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOS2udBN9R4&t=251s says it all!

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

CivilDisobedience posted:

Genki had a unique striking/taunting style that he backed up with a genius level grappling game. He was able to goof around in standup because he had total confidence that his ability to wrassle would see him through. He's a big favorite of mine too, this takedown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOS2udBN9R4&t=251s says it all!

drat, hard to believe he pushed it all to the side so he could focus on being a singer.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Metal Gear posted:

I guess I'm just also partial to the guys that try to go out and have fun with it. It's why I really like Genki Sudo too. No other fighter will come out to the cage dressed as a KFC bucket robot and do spinning backfists for days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjCfdJbb6g

You misunderstand me. That Keiji guy is a pretty bad fighter. There's no real "style" here to appreciate, other than throwing random poo poo and hoping the opponent walks into it. A fighter should never miss so many shots and be so open, and his record of piling up wins pretty much only by decisions (mostly split) is a testament to him being like one of the worst of his class.

Also Genki Sudo pulls that poo poo in order to lull people into his ground game. He's actually only got like one or two KO's via striking, all his wins are by submission on the floor. I don't think he's even trained a real striking art, other than learning the basics, I'm pretty sure he's just a pure ground fighter.

If you like either of their striking games, you might as well watch movies because that's akin to liking the worst athlete of a sport, thinking he's the best because he's got "style" when in fact he's got style because no one else is that bad.

edit: Civildisobedience, that takedown was sick as hell

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CivilDisobedience posted:

Genki is my all time favorite fighter so thanks a lot for this video which was amazing. His movement on top is just mind boggling, plain awesomeness.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Oh buy did Guilty deliver. Knew he would tho.

Guilty posted:

Sitmonchai highlight reel. Muay Thai's "boxing pro" (still no boxer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fec32bOLvLw&feature=youtu.be

The millisecond jab + low right cross combination, or just simple right cross to the body has me gasping in delight.

edit: nevermind the fact he basically, after throwing so many good hand strikes they don't know which way is up and which way down, KO's people with his right low kick.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 18, 2012

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

Guilty posted:

You misunderstand me. That Keiji guy is a pretty bad fighter. There's no real "style" here to appreciate, other than throwing random poo poo and hoping the opponent walks into it. A fighter should never miss so many shots and be so open, and his record of piling up wins pretty much only by decisions (mostly split) is a testament to him being like one of the worst of his class.

Also Genki Sudo pulls that poo poo in order to lull people into his ground game. He's actually only got like one or two KO's via striking, all his wins are by submission on the floor. I don't think he's even trained a real striking art, other than learning the basics, I'm pretty sure he's just a pure ground fighter.

If you like either of their striking games, you might as well watch movies because that's akin to liking the worst athlete of a sport, thinking he's the best because he's got "style" when in fact he's got style because no one else is that bad.

edit: Civildisobedience, that takedown was sick as hell

Wow, calm down, man. I just said the main thing I liked about Genki Sudo was his attitude and showmanship and shared a video of his entrances, not that he was some kind of striking god. I'm not sure who you're trying to argue with here.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I think Guilty just dislikes what he considers bad and/or sloppy technique, consider his fight links and preference to MT, and isn't about to shoot the messanger.

So don't worry?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Metal Gear posted:

Wow, calm down, man. I just said the main thing I liked about Genki Sudo was his attitude and showmanship and shared a video of his entrances, not that he was some kind of striking god. I'm not sure who you're trying to argue with here.

You made a case for an awful striker to be 'super technical' and then cited Genki Sudo as some sort of striking style god when he was just a style god. I simply corrected you, since the information you gave was blatantly wrong. Genki is one of my favorite fighters, but because his ground game is nothing short of divine. Both fighters you claimed to be 'technical' and 'stylistic' were simply 'stylistic' and pretty much the direct opposite of technical.

Also, if you're feeling attacked, you should probably reconsider your experiences in regards to striking. I've cited exact moments and instances which demonstrate why both fighters were NOT technical fighters, along with reasons why and what's going on. This is called constructive criticism (no matter how acidic it might be).

I do hate bad/sloppy technique. I adore beautiful, clean, intelligent, technical fights. And it's not hard to get there. It just takes time and dedication, like literally any other art. It's just that half the videos in this thread of strikers are fight videos of animals going wild and the people posting them want some sort of e-handjob for a bad fight.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
How entertaining a fighter is doesn't necessarily equate to how talented a fighter he is.

e: VVVV Just paraphrasing in case your point got missed.

Novum fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 18, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Novum posted:

How entertaining a fighter is doesn't necessarily equate to how talented a fighter he is.

Exactly my point, thank you :)

vvvvv: sweet! I made an OP! thanks!

Guilty fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 18, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

I put these in the OP as a Muay Thai section.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

I put these in the OP as a Muay Thai section.

Bravo!

edit: can you make a small Savate section on the OP and link the videos I posted last page? I know it's not the best/most efficient striking art in everyone's opinion if you aim for the K1 or MT rings and they are not wrong, but it's European for once, has shoes, funny uniforms, a two+ century history, is still a popular MA in a few West-Euro countries almost like boxing is (and a national sport in one: France) as an amateur sport and those are a pretty good introductions to what full contact La Savate Boxe Française is about so people can make what they want out of it.

And guys like Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and Carlos Condit use the poo poo out of a few Savate chasse kicks these days. Or chasse italienne to be precise as it's apparently known in kickboxing circles. (I also understand there's a MT kick that is similar, and should be bread and butter for Dutch kickboxers some of who come from Savate to begin with.) And the Black House has an actual Savate instructor. Gee WHIZ.

----------------

Thanks, will do.

vvvvvvvvvvv

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 18, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

type up what you want with the youtube links and everything and I'll C/P it into the OP.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

Guilty posted:

You made a case for an awful striker to be 'super technical' and then cited Genki Sudo as some sort of striking style god when he was just a style god. I simply corrected you, since the information you gave was blatantly wrong. Genki is one of my favorite fighters, but because his ground game is nothing short of divine. Both fighters you claimed to be 'technical' and 'stylistic' were simply 'stylistic' and pretty much the direct opposite of technical.

Also, if you're feeling attacked, you should probably reconsider your experiences in regards to striking. I've cited exact moments and instances which demonstrate why both fighters were NOT technical fighters, along with reasons why and what's going on. This is called constructive criticism (no matter how acidic it might be).

I do hate bad/sloppy technique. I adore beautiful, clean, intelligent, technical fights. And it's not hard to get there. It just takes time and dedication, like literally any other art. It's just that half the videos in this thread of strikers are fight videos of animals going wild and the people posting them want some sort of e-handjob for a bad fight.

No, I totally agree. Calling Kenji technical was just a bad call/phrasing in that post. I'm not saying entertaining and talented are the same thing, I just think there's something to be said for being willing to put on a fun show. Genki wouldn't be the same without rolling out with a baseball cheer squad or a KFC jet pack robot.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Metal Gear posted:

Genki wouldn't be the same without rolling out with a baseball cheer squad or a KFC jet pack robot.

I disagree with this since the guy is an amazing ground roller who pulls off equally amazing poo poo in the ring

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Oh man, that fight where Genki used King's 'big swing' from tekken as a guard pass and then turned it into a leglock from mid-air. Majestic. He retired because he had some kind of spinal injury, iirc. He can dance if he wants to.

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Oh man, that fight where Genki used King's 'big swing' from tekken as a guard pass and then turned it into a leglock from mid-air. Majestic. He retired because he had some kind of spinal injury, iirc. He can dance if he wants to.

Man can dance. I could've sworn I read that he was looking to get back into the cage though.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ligur posted:

I think Guilty just dislikes what he considers bad and/or sloppy technique, consider his fight links and preference to MT, and isn't about to shoot the messanger.

So don't worry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fec32bOLvLw&t=300s

clearly

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

experienced strikers: Why do guys throw straight rights that drop down at an angle when they miss. I see it a lot and I can't tell if its fatigue because it kind of looks intentional.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

experienced strikers: Why do guys throw straight rights that drop down at an angle when they miss. I see it a lot and I can't tell if its fatigue because it kind of looks intentional.

Are you sure it's not a terrible overhand

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

no its straight down the pipe it just has a descending angle. Its hard to put into words but if you drew a line from the punch starting to finishing it would be a straight descending line and not a curve. I've seen high level boxers and MT fighters do it so its not a one style or lovely striker thing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Straight to the body? Hard to say without video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

maybe thats it, I'll try to dig up a good video.

• Locked thread