Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've just realised that my bikes rev counter makes a pretty good speedo. Put it in second and it's kph, and in third it's mph (obv revs/100). Seems accurate up to the speed (and rev) limit although not really the best for prolonged motorway cruising fuel efficiency.

Yeah I know that's the dullest thing ever but I was overjoyed when I realised it and nobody else seems to think this is impressive or even interesting and I'm sure you guys won't either but I've got it off my chest and now I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's the same for the FZ6 in 4th gear. 4k @ 40mph in 4th.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pope Mobile posted:

It's the same for the FZ6 in 4th gear. 4k @ 40mph in 4th.

Huh, I never noticed that. I'll have to see what other ones there are. The only one I noted is that for mine is in 6th gear so I know if I'm in 5th or 6th and I don't try to shift to that phantom 7th gear.

On my fz6 in 6th the rev's are 1k below what the speedo reads, so @ 6500 the speedo is reading 75 and at 7500 it reads 85, etc. Since it reads about 10% over tho that's not actually right but it lets me know what gear I'm in.

I'd noticed magic gears on cars before, where the tach and speedo would move together, but never paid attention riding. I guess the digital speedo and weird digi tach don't help that.

Eh, thinking about it I also don't really use 4th or 5th so that probably has something to do with it as well. About the only time I can think of using them instead of passing thru would be downshifting on the highway for a bit of boost.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 19, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm almost always in 4th or 5th due to the roads I'm on for my commute. I rarely see 6th. What speeds are your changing in/out at? The intervals between gears always seemed short to me on the FZ6 compared to other bikes I've ridden.

Another one I do for knowing my gear is "2-3-4": 2nd gear; 30 mph; 4k rpm.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Pissingintowind posted:

Interesting, thanks for the info. So after calling a few places, it would not have been worth it to add collision and comprehensive on a $2,500 bike.

I ended up with the following through Progressive:

$217: Injury Liability - $100K per person/$300K per accident and Property Liability - $50K per accident
$241: Uninsured/Underinsured Personal - $50K per person/$100K per accident
$10: Uninsured Property - $3.5K/$0 deductible

I added the UI/UIM because I figure if I get into an accident with another vehicle, it's unlikely to be my fault. Even though I already have health insurance, I would want to make sure that I'm compensated for lost wages/pain and suffering while recovering. The UI property bit was just too cheap to not throw in.

Gotta love overpaying for insurance coverage - and this is the best I found with a clean record!

You might want to see about getting a Combined Single Limit. Depending on your state it may be like $25 more per year and it would be nice to get the full $100,000 if some douchebag "just didn't see you".

How old are you? I have Progressive and I'm paying $425 annually for $500,000 combined singled limit (CSL) for liability and $500,000 for UM/UIM and full comp and collision.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm almost always in 4th or 5th due to the roads I'm on for my commute. I rarely see 6th. What speeds are your changing in/out at? The intervals between gears always seemed short to me on the FZ6 compared to other bikes I've ridden.

I can tell 3rd from 4th from 5th on the highway pretty readily on the Buell by reading the tach needle angle relative to the speedo needle angle.

Tach lower: 5th
Same position: 4th
Tach higher: 3rd

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

MoraleHazard posted:

You might want to see about getting a Combined Single Limit. Depending on your state it may be like $25 more per year and it would be nice to get the full $100,000 if some douchebag "just didn't see you".

How old are you? I have Progressive and I'm paying $425 annually for $500,000 combined singled limit (CSL) for liability and $500,000 for UM/UIM and full comp and collision.

I'm 24, soon to be 25 in 2 months. I have a fresh M1 and a SV650 in San Francisco.

The $500K CSL (and the lower CSL option) pumped the price to around $1K. I will definitely want to upgrade that when I turn 25 and my rates (hopefully) go down, but in the meantime, $50K would cover around 5 months of lost wages. Hopefully I wouldn't get hosed up badly enough to miss more than that...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You make well over 100k a year and own a used sv? I'm pretty impressed actually. Especially at 24.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

100k doesn't go as far as you think in SF (or a handful of other tech hub cities where people can make 100k by 25). It's obviously still good money, but not "i'm going to go buy a brand new Ducati" money. At least not while still being a little bit financially responsible.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 19, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Guinness posted:

At least not while still being a little bit financially responsible.

I've never let a little thing like that hold me back from impulsively purchasing a vehicle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

I'd noticed magic gears on cars before, where the tach and speedo would move together, but never paid attention riding. I guess the digital speedo and weird digi tach don't help that.

The "magic gear" is just a direct-drive gear. In a 5-speed car transmission that would usually be 4th, with 5th being the overdrive. Do motorcycle transmissions usually have overdrives at the top end? Or is that just a totally meaningless concept in something that spins 15,000 RPM?

e: well I guess you'd adjust the final drive ratio for it to make sense so yeah, there must be a gear that's at least close to 1:1

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Guinness posted:

100k doesn't go as far as you think in SF (or a handful of other tech hub cities where people can make 100k by 25). It's obviously still good money, but not "i'm going to go buy a brand new Ducati" money. At least not while still being a little bit financially responsible.

If even I can afford a bike as a broke rear end grad student I don't believe you can't afford whatever one you want making 120k a year. Even at 1500-2000 a month for an apartment and a hefty car payment that's still an assload of leftover money per month to play with. I'd be in deep poo poo if I was making that much money right now, there are far too many shiny bikes out there.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Bought a brand new triumph 675 as a broke-rear end college student / bartender. Don't regret it at all.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

JP Money posted:

You make well over 100k a year and own a used sv? I'm pretty impressed actually. Especially at 24.

What can I say, I'm a cheapass. The SV is a first generation, too! The whole fear of death thing goes a long way towards reeling in desires for shiny toys :v:

Edit: I'm a finance guy, not a tech guy, and I don't have a car!

Guinness posted:

This.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 19, 2012

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Anyone here in MO? I'm going to be in St. Louis for the next month and would love to ride or just learn about bike mechanics/tinkering/watch you work on your bike/whatever.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Pissingintowind posted:

Edit: I'm a finance guy, not a tech guy, and I don't have a car!

You do know how awesome that is, right?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

You do know how awesome that is, right?

Not having a car? I guess, but I do miss the one that I had before I moved to a big city... I picked up the SV to fill that void while avoiding parking and crime issues in the Mission.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm in 2nd for 25 mph, 3rd for 35 mph and 6th for most anything higher, with some time spent in 4th cruising backroads or maybe some odd 45 mph road. 55 and above is 6th gear for any kind of cruising and 3rd for anything else, maybe 4th. The only time I spend any time in 5th is when I forget I'm in 5th.

I still might use the gears to accelerate on the highway, or maybe I'll shift up to 4th cruising along, but for the most part I'm in 1-3 and 6.

I don't mind it's gearing, it's always seemed decently spaced out to me. The Ninjette I ride sometimes has 2nd and 3rd so close they could be the same gear.

Sagebrush posted:

The "magic gear" is just a direct-drive gear. In a 5-speed car transmission that would usually be 4th, with 5th being the overdrive. Do motorcycle transmissions usually have overdrives at the top end? Or is that just a totally meaningless concept in something that spins 15,000 RPM?

e: well I guess you'd adjust the final drive ratio for it to make sense so yeah, there must be a gear that's at least close to 1:1
According to a forum that just came up on my search this is the ratio for a 2004 FZ6 (~97 hp at the crank, revs to 14k)

Transmission Constant mesh, 6-speed
Final transmission Chain
Primary reduction ratio 86/44 1.955
Secondary reduction ratio 46/16 2.875
Gear ratio:
Gear ratio-1st gear 37/13 2.846
Gear ratio-2nd gear 37/19 1.947
Gear ratio-3rd gear 28/18 1.556
Gear ratio-4th gear 32/24 1.333
Gear ratio-5th gear 25/21 1.190
Gear ratio-6th gear 26/24 1.083

nsaP fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 20, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Son of a bitch the county put speed humps and center islands all along my favorite road.

(Supermoto answer: Yay, the county put jumps on my favorite road!)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Bought a brand new triumph 675 as a broke-rear end college student / bartender. Don't regret it at all.

My second bike (Aprilia RS125SP) cost exactly half my annual salary at the time, and was my only method of transport for a 15 mile commute through central London. In all that thing was costing me about three quarters of my take home pay. Perfectly sane.

God, living at home really did rule. I wonder if my parents would go back to providing me food and board for 150 quid a month? I could probably afford that 916 Senna that has been in my dreams since those days...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ya'll are more AI than me. My used 650R cost me 4% of my annual salary, outright in cash, and even that was the max I could justify spending on a bike - especially a first bike at 25. Curse my conservative financial planning! Sounds like I should really be riding a brand new Panigale or S1000RR.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Pissingintowind posted:

What can I say, I'm a cheapass. The SV is a first generation, too! The whole fear of death thing goes a long way towards reeling in desires for shiny toys :v:

There's nothing wrong with this. Besides, if you're 24, new license, San Fran (and presumably male) you'll be paying out the snout for insurance no matter what, because you're basically in the worst possible actuarial risk categories. The SV650 isn't a supersport but it's probably still 'sporty' enough for elevated rates over, say, a small-displacement cruiser or dual-sport, and the age of the bike itself would affect comprehensive rates (due to resale) but not really injury / collision rates. God help you if you had a new GSX-R or something with full coverage you'd probably be paying well into four figures a year just for insurance. The cheaper bike could end up saving you quite a bit in the long run.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

MoraleHazard posted:

Insurance talk

Consider checking whatever insurance company your family is under as well. My dad has been with Safeco for some 30+ years with zero accidents. Checking in over the phone with them got me a quote that was a bit higher than someone like progressive, but when I mentioned my dads record, they shaved off some 70 bucks. Spent about 300 for a year coverage. I've never set up insurance before so I tried to get a lot of things.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

In my mind your first bike should be cheap just in case you don't like it or do what everybody does and drop it/lowside it. However, if you've got the money for the second one to be real nice by all means.

I'm lucky in that like twisto did I live at home...though I just bought a house that once I have it renovated and all rented out I'll be able to live as I have been, which will be nice.

Also, garages for bieks. Basement for climbing gym. Backyard for a skate ramp and barbecues. Good luck neighbors, a manchild just moved next door.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Decided to post this here rather than over in the Commuting to DC thread. I'm actually planning to use a fair bit of it in an informational driving brochure I'm working on for incoming foreign employees next contract year.

Ola posted:

The commute math is classic CA. It's good to know that a motorcycle commute is not a good money saver vs usable public transport or a car you're keeping anyway, but how you set up the formula is up to you. If you take into account that it's not all gas savings but you're willing to commit to safety, good maintenance etc then you can look at the daily savings as a subsidy on what is a net expense but ultimately a good price to pay for a very rewarding experience.

My situation is somewhat different because I live in Japan, where driving is quite expensive but so is public transportation (actually none of it around where I live is public, but I digress). Here's what I'm looking at:

¥1440 ($17.10) round trip commute every Tuesday & Friday :supaburn: (Call it 8x a month, so ¥11520). It's a 13.5km bus ride and the schedule is very inconvenient.
¥480 ($5.70) round trip every Thursday (x4 so ¥1920/mo) + a 15-20 minute walk (or ride my bicycle 10.5ks, takes about the same amount of time as train+walking).
I teach at a third school on Monday/Wednesday but I've always ridden my bicycle.

¥2160 ($25.64) once a month to go to the prefectural capital for a meeting. I'd say one out of every 2-3 months I've got to go again for another work-related thing (conference, etc), but I'll only count it once here.

Monthly total I pay for commutes (for work only): ¥15600, or US$185.21. I've got a pretty active social life and my prefecture is quite rural/spread out with spotty availability of buses/trains, but I'm not even counting all that.

On the plus side, I get all of my work-related travel reimbursed. I'm uh, not sure exactly how it's calculated, but for whatever reason they give me an average of a bit over ¥30,000/mo (it varies based on which of my three schools I'm at). More than enough to cover the public transportation, but if I'm riding a bike in, more of that money can go towards subsidizing the costs of ownership.

Bike: ¥100,000 ($1187.23, got a sweetheart of a deal from a friend). Does need a new rear tire soonish for another 10,000, although the compulsory insurance is paid up through 9/2013, which almost balances it out.
Gear: well I already have it now, but I've spent $220 on boots, $100 on gloves, $210 on jackets (picked up a Rev'It Airwave for $160 new + a secondhand Fieldsheer leather jacket for $50 on CL when I was back in the US), $200 on pants, and $250 for the Shark Evoline 2 helmet I got on closeout at RevZilla (as a Christmas gift so free, but I'll count it as an expense). Total $980, or ¥82,545, although I would have spent like twice that buying all that stuff at Japanese retail.
Tax & Insurance: 3600/mo for the optional stuff, plus ¥9260 every September for compulsory insurance, + ~¥3,000 tax from the city in May. Let's say I had to pay the compulsory this year, so 43200 + 9260 + 3000 = ¥55,460, or ¥4622/mo.
Fuel: PO says he normally gets about 70-75mpg (250cc dual sport) riding solo without much baggage. Let's say 60mpg to be conservative. For the month of work commutes, comes out to 15.84 liters of fuel, or ¥2297 assuming the pretty common price of around ¥145/liter ($6.52/gallon for those of you back in the US).

Anyhow, for monthly commuting costs the bike costs me ¥2297 for fuel + ¥4622 on the insurance/tax, total of ¥6919, while public transportation costs me ¥15600, difference of ¥8681, or roughly $100/mo (I get paid in yen, not too happy with the way the exchange rate's been going the last month or so...). At that rate, assuming no maintenance or new gear purchases (lol), it'd be about 21 months before the bike had paid for itself versus public transportation for commuting to work. Although if you factor in personal travel, it's much, much sooner... probably closer to a year in my case. Although technically, if you count all of my work transportation allowance towards it and not just what I'm actually spending, they'll have bought me a bike + all the trimmings in more like 8 months.

This is all actually academic though, as my employer is currently (illegally) forbidding the foreign employees from driving to work. I've got a meeting with the Labor Relations Board next week to get the ball rolling on delivering a legal smack-down to them. Aside from the cost difference, having to use public transport to go to/from work actually fucks with my personal life quite a bit, and prevents me from doing a lot of extra stuff at work I actually want to do. They've also been huge dicks about it and have rejected a ton of very favorable (to them) compromises I've suggested over the last 16 months.

As an aside: versus a car, bikes are a lot more attractive in Japan than elsewhere (mostly due to additional car bullshit):

Parking: free :getin: This is actually kind of a big deal in Japan, as even though my apartment has a numbered spot for my unit, I have to pay an additional ¥2500/mo to use it (Bikes park free in the courtyard). This is actually quite cheap (I live in public, civil-servant housing), my friend at a private apartment complex would have to pay something more like 8,000/mo to use a spot in his complex's (empty) lot. Also, there's very little free parking around town, but you can cheekily wedge a motorcycle in with the bicycles and generally don't get hassled about it.

Fuel economy: see above. When gas is $6.52/gallon, a 250cc engine starts to look mighty tempting.

Taxes, etc: Bikes under 250cc (Mine's 249cc :smugdog:) are exempt from shaken, an every-two-years inspection. For the cheapest cars (kei, 660cc, 3 passenger max), shaken will run you about 50,000 at a really cheap place, assuming there's nothing wrong with your car. For a normal car, 70,000 would be considered really cheap, with 100,000 being closer to normal, more if it's older, it has any kind of problems meeting the inspection requirements, or is an import. Larger bikes (250cc and over) have to undergo their own shaken, which is normally something like 25,000-40,000, which is one reason I went with the XLR and not a 400cc Transalp like I was originally considering.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 22, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Taxes, etc: Bikes under 250cc (Mine's 249cc :smugdog:)

Nearly all engines worldwide are a couple of cc's below their nominal specification, in case you hadn't figured that out. The manufacturer builds to the maximum possible displacement that fits a certain tax/regulatory class, and subtracts a few cc to ensure that any engine randomly sampled isn't so close to the margin of error that they call it over and upgrade the whole run to the next bracket.

Except my 350, which is not 349cc, but 325.4cc for some reason. :iiam:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Nearly all engines worldwide are a couple of cc's below their nominal specification, in case you hadn't figured that out. The manufacturer builds to the maximum possible displacement that fits a certain tax/regulatory class, and subtracts a few cc to ensure that any engine randomly sampled isn't so close to the margin of error that they call it over and upgrade the whole run to the next bracket.

What's the size when it's bored 1 over?
My CB750 is a 736cc but it's 750cc when bored 1mm over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What's the size when it's bored 1 over?
My CB750 is a 736cc but it's 750cc when bored 1mm over.

So it reaches nominal displacement when it's been run-in :v:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, I know. My Mark II has a 2.49L inline six, which saves me ¥5,000/year.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
In between the heavy rain, freezing temperatures and that one hit of snow a few days ago (that flooded my downstairs), I've managed to get one solid ride in. Was a hell of a ride though - broke out of the local roads and just started going places.

Would have been lost if I hadn't ordered this funky bar-clamper device to hold my phone. Never really thought of it before but there are a bunch of directions in my area that I've never had a reason to go until now. Better still, I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the basic controls of riding. Leaning isn't such a foreign concept to my mind or body, allowing me to dispense with a lot of the doubt that's been following me when turning/cornering at all sorts of different speeds. Of course, I haven't leaned very far - it's still wet and cold out, after all.

But it looks like that last trip is gonna have to hold me over until the end of the month. In addition to not yet having received my registration in the mail (which is fairly risky business in the first place), my brake light yet again no longer responds to either of my brakes. Last time, some sort of copper wire that goes from the battery to wherever had been the culprit. If it is again, then it'll likely cost me nothing but some time. Still, rather wait until I have some money at the end of the month in case it ends up being something else this time around.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I did that yesterday, loving amazing going up the Trossachs and round the lochs in the heavy rain and wind. Was nice to learn some new things about how to get the best power out of the bike as well, which I hadn't really been doing before, properly understanding when to shift etc. Turns out in the wind and rain top gear will not do poo poo, and if anything it'll decelerate (unless you curl over the seat)! I love how everyday is a schoolday on this thing, even if the lessons are either stuff everyone knows or "you're actually quite lucky to live in a country with these roads". It was also quite cool that after using that to practice winter riding I finally went into proper leans when I was on city roads instead of slowing down a ton (not that there's anything wrong with that, but it pisses off the cars behind me).

Only two times I was scared I'd crash were in Glasgow city limits, I'd be going up these back roads with clapped out trucks crossing the centreline and taking racing lines on 90 degree corners beside a cliff to a loch, and I never once felt in genuine danger of being hit by them. Second I got within a couple of metres of some dick in a Chelsea tractor, though...

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 22, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Taxes, fees, etc

One interesting thing about all this stuff is that a lot of these are set up officially initially to discourage people from driving, and from driving bigger vehicles. But the governments get dependent on the revenue from people who just do it anyway and pay the fees. So when people actually respond by driving smaller vehicles (including bikes) and driving less, the gov't flips out because it doesn't get as much money. I think London's already having issues with this after assuming their traffic taxes would pay the bills forever.

(The US has something similar going on with cigarette taxes and fewer people smoking.)

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

Can anyone recommend a smallish compressor for keeping tires at a good pressure?

Sadly, I no longer have a garage and a gently caress-off huge air system. People seem to like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4

Just following up - bought this thing, and it owns. A little loud, but definitely does the job and is small enough to take with me. Also plugs into the Battery Tender lead.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pissingintowind posted:

Just following up - bought this thing, and it owns. A little loud, but definitely does the job and is small enough to take with me. Also plugs into the Battery Tender lead.

Sorry I didn't notice this sooner. Those slimes are decent, but they die a lot for no apparent reason. Some of the ADVers buy them at Walmart so they can return them when they eventually die. We used one the other day while swapping a front tire on a KLR and it didn't have the pressure to seat the bead correctly. If you're going to do any kind of riding where you might have to do a tube swap I suggest trying it at home first so you know what you're getting into.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Once in a while I kick around this idea for a motorcycle (and other vehicles?) maintenance history website.

My last bike, I kept the following spreadsheet

pre:
Year    Month    Km      Subject                             Parts
2011    10       3500    certified at Pannon Moto Sports
2011    10       3500    changed brake fluid
2011    11       4400    adjusted chain (was a little loose)
2011    12       4900    adjusted handlebars
2011    12       5100    inspected spark plugs
2012    2        6800    changed oil                         Mobile 1 MX4T
2012    2        6800    changed oil filter                  FRAM CH6000
2012    5        8600    added handlebar risers
2012    6        9300    changed air filter                  K&N SU-5589
Roughly, at time X, odo reading Y, action Z was performed, and involved part(s) A,B,C.

When selling the bike, I showed prospective buyers a printout of this sheet, and they really liked it. It showed that I kept up with maintenance (whether it was a lie or not). Sellers with such a history could make their bikes more attractive by providing a link to said history.

It could be taken further, too. If you plugged in your maintenance intervals (or eventually, just picked your bike from a list and have the manufacturer-approved maintenance intervals generated automatically) the site could even email you when it's about time the replace the pads, etc.

If such a website existed, would anyone be interested in using it? (Also, does such a site already exist?)

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Sorry I didn't notice this sooner. Those slimes are decent, but they die a lot for no apparent reason. Some of the ADVers buy them at Walmart so they can return them when they eventually die. We used one the other day while swapping a front tire on a KLR and it didn't have the pressure to seat the bead correctly. If you're going to do any kind of riding where you might have to do a tube swap I suggest trying it at home first so you know what you're getting into.

Ah that sucks. I don't see myself ever swapping a tire, just wanted something to top up tire pressure with.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

One interesting thing about all this stuff is that a lot of these are set up officially initially to discourage people from driving, and from driving bigger vehicles. But the governments get dependent on the revenue from people who just do it anyway and pay the fees. So when people actually respond by driving smaller vehicles (including bikes) and driving less, the gov't flips out because it doesn't get as much money. I think London's already having issues with this after assuming their traffic taxes would pay the bills forever.

(The US has something similar going on with cigarette taxes and fewer people smoking.)

Yeah, I was doing some poking around on my local Light Vehicle Inspection Center's website, and they had linked to an article discussing the likelihood that the annual tax on keis (660cc cars) is going to be raised in the near future from a flat ¥7200 to something more in line with what the regular cars pay (~30,000ish), apparently because the emissions really aren't that much better. It'll seriously hurt the market for keis, that's one of the main reasons they're so popular.

Actually planning on selling my Mark II next month and replacing it with a kei van. I lose one passenger capacity, but I'd like to have something I can throw a few bicycles in (or possibly my motorcycle in a pinch, may look into having some U-brackets welded in for tie-downs), as well as camp out of. Dodging the tax bill in May also figures into the decision...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

epalm posted:

If such a website existed, would anyone be interested in using it? (Also, does such a site already exist?)

I'd probably be more apt to use that than the 3 ring maintenance binder I created for myself, and then lost interest in when I realized I didn't own a 3 hole punch. It'd be stupid simple to set up using Ruby on Rails.

I know Subaru has something similar, but it really only applies to new Subaru cars.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
No thanks, I use a piece of paper with illegible scribbles on it kept with my insurance/toolkit under the side-cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Doesn't fuelly do something like that?