Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

It appears that NewEgg has the new N54L (N40L update)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

It's taken me a week of copying data all over the place but I've finally migrated from whs v1 to unraid, pretty happy with everything so far.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Newegg lists the max memory on those at 8 GB. Can you go higher?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
People have reported success using 16GB sticks.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
The HP MicroSever seems popular enough to put a recommended parts list in the OP, these same questions seem to happen every other page.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don't think I could recommend anything beyond 8GB DIMMs in general for a Microserver on both cost effectiveness grounds and "dude, it's a stupid Microserver, not a Xeon-based SAN node." The one 16GB DIMM on Newegg is listed at $348 USD, yikes. 2x8GB DIMMs range in the $80+ segment, on the other hand.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

necrobobsledder posted:

I don't think I could recommend anything beyond 8GB DIMMs in general for a Microserver on both cost effectiveness grounds and "dude, it's a stupid Microserver, not a Xeon-based SAN node." The one 16GB DIMM on Newegg is listed at $348 USD, yikes. 2x8GB DIMMs range in the $80+ segment, on the other hand.

Unless you're doing dedupe/compression, there's really no reason to have that much ram with ZFS.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th
Hi all, having some issues with my N36L.

Background

N36L, 4GB RAM.

I have 6 x 2TB drives in Windows SW RAID 5. I have a small 200GB drive for OS.

Now one drive is acting up. Might be the C drive, might be part of the RAID group but it's screwing the whole system.

The problem

I'm trying to start again. I want to make a RAID 1 group with 4 x 2TB drives and then install the OS on this.

Problem is the RAID (CTRL + F?) option isn't showing up. I have changed the BIOS from ACHI to RAID but still no joy.

Any ideas how to force it to come up or what may be stopping it from coming up?

I do have a little USB hub in there that may be the reason?!

Fake Edit: anyone worked out an easy way to get the N36L open when you can't find the key? :/

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Torx drivers. It's how I got my N36L open before I realized that they provided a Torx allen wrench for you on the inside of the grille :downs:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

LmaoTheKid posted:

Unless you're doing dedupe/compression, there's really no reason to have that much ram with ZFS.

I was asking about memory capacity to consolidate 3 systems at home into a single box by running some VMs. I realize the cpu isn't great, but again this is for home use.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Torx drivers. It's how I got my N36L open before I realized that they provided a Torx allen wrench for you on the inside of the grille :downs:

I was rooting around for my Torx bits before I realized the wrench was on the side of the ODD bay in my ML110. There are spares of most of the screws on the front metal grill too. The last HP machine I worked on was a P4-based workstation, I forgot how decent their mechanical design actually is.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Working on the software side for a couple years at HP, I was utterly surprised that the hardware didn't implode and level a children's hospital instead of my house when I removed the front grille on my Microserver. To see that they included a Torx allen wrench made me question my disbelief in a God temporarily and may have, in fact, given me a microsecond-long orgasm from the hormonal shift that happened between the utter disgust of having given HP money and realizing what that hunk of metal was for.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

fletcher posted:

The HP MicroSever seems popular enough to put a recommended parts list in the OP, these same questions seem to happen every other page.

Yeah, I'd actually love to see a recommend options list for

1) pre-built nas (drobo/thecus)
2) pre-built PCs (microserver)
3) roll your own

then recommended options for redundancy (unraid, raidz, real raid)

and maybe cloud backup options (crashplan, backblaze, etc)

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

necrobobsledder posted:

It's moot, because the Microservers don't take 16GB DIMMs anyway. Someone's getting confused between that and 16GB (2x8GB) total which is beyond spec but works with certain modules.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

crm posted:

It appears that NewEgg has the new N54L (N40L update)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107921

I hope that means the price of the N40L will go down

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

I hope that means the price of the N40L will go down

Unfortunately they're still in heavy demand so I suspect it just means the price stays the same (or goes up) and availability will be poo poo as they are phased out. I already noticed several Canadian suppliers haven't reupped, probably since HP isn't sending them more.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, pretty much. I just sold one on eBay (with an extra 4GB stick but only an 80GB HDD) for $250 within 4 hours of listing it.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So for something to do over Christmas I got myself an Intel N2800MT motherboard/cpu combo thing and a Fractal Designs Array Mini NAS case that came with an SFX size PSU - the Intel doesn't use a normal ATX power connector though so I'm gonna have to use half of the P4 connector (GROUND and +12v) and short the POWER ON pin :c00l:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

The Gunslinger posted:

Unfortunately they're still in heavy demand so I suspect it just means the price stays the same (or goes up) and availability will be poo poo as they are phased out. I already noticed several Canadian suppliers haven't reupped, probably since HP isn't sending them more.

Welp I guess that means I need to pick one up before they disappear

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Froist posted:

Sorry to keep questioning you, but you seem to have the setup I want :). I did a bit of reading around after this and everything I saw implied that Windows 7 removed the RAID 5 option. Are you using a 3rd party RAID software, or is there a different way of getting it working? One of the "workarounds" I saw mentioned was "Install Windows 7 -> Install VirtualBox -> Install linux VM with MDADM -> Give VM access to drives -> Access from Windows via virtual network" which just sounds hideous.

Sorry about the wait - had to go and actually have a look at the system to see what OS was on it. It wasn't Win7 - it's a copy of Windows Home Server 2011 (which does support software Raid 5 and is cheap as hell) with XBMC as the front end. And honestly if you were going to the trouble that that workaround mentioned, I'd just say gently caress it and get a cheap 4 or 8 port low profile raid card to go in there to run everything off of.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I got my frankenstein booted into FreeNAS (nothing blew up!) but apparently version 8.3 doesn't like my HighPoint RocketRAID 2640X1 - can't see any of the drives (they've been initialized and three JBOD arrays set in the RocketRAID BIOS Setting Utility). I've kind of reached the limit in my unix-ing ability - the FreeBSD drivers for 8.0 are available here, would those even work on 8.3? I couldn't wget them because I got a "(Read-only file system)" error, I was gonna pop them on another USB stick and try tomorrow but even then I'm not 100% sure what it is I will be trying...

It is keeping me busy over the Christmas season though, so mission accomplished!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grim posted:

So I got my frankenstein booted into FreeNAS (nothing blew up!) but apparently version 8.3 doesn't like my HighPoint RocketRAID 2640X1 - can't see any of the drives (they've been initialized and three JBOD arrays set in the RocketRAID BIOS Setting Utility). I've kind of reached the limit in my unix-ing ability - the FreeBSD drivers for 8.0 are available here, would those even work on 8.3? I couldn't wget them because I got a "(Read-only file system)" error, I was gonna pop them on another USB stick and try tomorrow but even then I'm not 100% sure what it is I will be trying...

It is keeping me busy over the Christmas season though, so mission accomplished!
The hptrr driver which governs Highpoint RocketRAID devices in range of the series your card is in doesn't support it. As an alternative there's also the hptiop driver which has support for other Highpoint RocketRAID SAS/SATA controllers. Basically, you're going to have to grab a card listed on those pages or run FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE based FreeNAS with this as there's no guarantee that the 8.0 driver will work for 8.3 (and you can't easily modify FreeNAS to use non-default drivers anyway, as you'd have to build it yourself).

Whenever you have hardware you want to check the compatability for, the RELEASE hardware notes (for your specific version, in this case 8.3-RELEASE) are a good place to look before you decide to the whole thing.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 22, 2012

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Apt asked me to upgrade my kernel to 3.5.0-21 a few days ago (I'm running Ubuntu 12.10) so I did the upgrade and finally got around to rebooting today. Turns out it totally broke my ZFS install. Not entirely sure it was the kernel upgrade that did it, but it seems the most likely culprit.

So if any of you guys are running Ubuntu 12.10 with native ZFS, you might want to wait before upgrading.

I've posted more details in this thread at ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12416675&postcount=8

I've "solved" this by switching to the daily PPA for now, though running a possibly unstable filesystem is a little too scary for my liking.

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 22, 2012

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I had problems with ZFS and 12.10 on the system I just built. 11.10 on my text VM didn't have any issues, so after some google searches I discovered I had to grab the linux-headers-3.5.0.21-generic package before the ZFS package would install and load correctly on 12.10. I'd check and make sure you've got the headers package for whatever kernel version you're on.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

PitViper posted:

I had problems with ZFS and 12.10 on the system I just built. 11.10 on my text VM didn't have any issues, so after some google searches I discovered I had to grab the linux-headers-3.5.0.21-generic package before the ZFS package would install and load correctly on 12.10. I'd check and make sure you've got the headers package for whatever kernel version you're on.

That sounded likely but it seems I already have the headers installed

code:
linux-headers-3.5.0-21-generic is already the newest version.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Hmm. That's odd. Mine's been chugging along pretty well using the Stable PPA and 12.10, so I don't know. What was the error it gave trying to mount?

On another note, I built my first pool, and started copying to it. Been working pretty well thus far. Haven't configured automounting yet, but I've got 6TB (4x2TB WD REds) of RAIDZ1 set up now, and I'll add a second 4x2TB RAIDZ1 once I clear off the 2 drives that still have stuff on them. 12TB should carry me through at least another year or two.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

PitViper posted:

Hmm. That's odd. Mine's been chugging along pretty well using the Stable PPA and 12.10, so I don't know. What was the error it gave trying to mount?
The error was:
code:
Failed to load ZFS module stack.
Load the module manually by running 'insmod <location>/zfs.ko' as root.
So the module was missing, I found it wasn't being built for the new kernel as the only zfs.ko I could find was in the old kernel's dir:

code:
$ find /lib/modules -name zfs.ko
/lib/modules/3.5.0-19-generic/updates/dkms/zfs.ko
I tried loading it anyway but it said "Unknown symbol in module".

Funny.. 8 years ago I would have been all over this problem and now I just feel lost!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
That's the exact error I was getting. Installing the headers and removing/re-installing the ububtu-zfs package fixed it for me. On my phone right now, but googling that error takes you to a bunch of discussions in the Google Groups for ZoL with some possible remedies.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Ah strange, I already had the headers and did try removing/installing ubuntu-zfs. Meh, I'll just live with daily for a while and switch back later on.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Do you guys use DKMS? That would take care of automatically rebuilding modules for you.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Quick update: I was able to get the 8.0 drivers to work by following the steps here, everything looks good so far...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, since ZFS on Linux is a kernel driver, you'll need to rebuild it every time your kernel is updated. Just make sure you update kernel headers along with the kernel and you'll be fine.

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

A bit late but I'd like to say thanks to DrDork for sharing his girlfriend's photography data management strategy. I decided to buy a N40L, dump FreeNAS onto it, and did some setting up. To be honest, it was a lot easier than I expected it to be.

All and all, I'm happy with the results especially since the N40L is around 3-4 times cheaper than competing SOHO boxes from Synology.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Looking for a NAS drive under $150 that's preferably 2tb or more (if lucky). I don't have any spare parts laying around and I'd like to set it up for streaming to my Dell netbook and keeping backups of my other laptop. I've been looking at the WD My Book Live's but not sure if there's another consumer recommendation.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a DNS-320, and I'm looking into offsite cloud backup solutions. I can't seem to find anything that works. All the Rsync providers don't work, and Amazon S3 is way too expensive. I have a HTPC with plenty of HDD space that stays on all the time, could I just mount the NAS share on that and use Crashplan+ to back it up to their cloud? It'll take a long time, but it's mainly going to be used once a week to backup my Time Machine backups (which live on the NAS) and a few folders other folders, total of 400GB (including the Time Machine backups) but it doesn't change too often.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know how well Crashplan handles backups of network mounts in Windows, if it can at all. It does work well in Linux, though.

So I'm thinking of revising my storage array since I need to expand soonish, and I want to make it easier in the future to expand by way of replacing/resilvering. Currently, I have a six-drive RAIDZ2 array of 1.5TB drives.

I know that ZFS will let you have multiple vdevs within a pool (i.e. two RAIDZ1 vdevs) - does it mind / care if these vdevs are of different sizes? I'm thinking of adding another three disks (for the sake of this exercise, assume 2TB disks) to a new pool, and then (as I'm able to migrate data off) break my existing array up and reuse the disks as two more RAIDZ1 vdevs. So my final configuration would look like:

code:
pool/tank
    raidz1-1
        disk1 (2TB)
        disk2 (2TB)
        disk3 (2TB)
    raidz1-2
        disk1 (1.5TB)
        disk2 (1.5TB)
        disk3 (1.5TB)
    raidz1-3
        disk1 (1.5TB)
        disk2 (1.5TB)
        disk3 (1.5TB)
The idea being that the next time I need to expand, I can just buy three 3TB or 4TB drives, swap out the three disks associated with raidz1-2 one-by-one with resilvering, and gain the space without having to create/destroy arrays again. Lather/rinse/repeat until the heat death of the universe, ideally. :)

How insane is this? What risks (if any) am I adding in here that I don't have with my current setup that I'm not seeing? For what it's worth, everything important is backed up to multiple locations via Crashplan (including their cloud), and everything that I can easily get again is backed up to Crashplan's cloud service.

Edit: Nevermind about spares, turns out hot spares don't work so well within BSD.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 28, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know how well Crashplan handles backups of network mounts in Windows, if it can at all. It does work well in Linux, though.
It does it just fine, as long as you create a symlink. I posted about it earlier in this thread and I'm currently backing up my N40L to Crashplan.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

What sort of setup would you guys recommend for 6x drives, 3 - 4 TB each, with the intention of being a general purpose Couchpotato / Sickbeard / SABnzbd / Subsonic / Plex / backup server?

Ideally the system would be able to stream two 1080p movies as well as be unraring / repairing a volume simultaneously without choking. I'd like to be able to have enough power to be able to transcode videos to unsupported clients as well.

I've been looking at the N40L but according to Newegg its max supported storage is 8TB and it won't handle more than 8GB of RAM. I'm assuming I'm going to need to stuff whatever NAS I get full of RAM, so I could see that as being problematic. Is there a nice micro tower I can buy, or are my criteria so edge case that I'll need to build my own thing?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

emoltra posted:

Ideally the system would be able to stream two 1080p movies as well as be unraring / repairing a volume simultaneously without choking. I'd like to be able to have enough power to be able to transcode videos to unsupported clients as well.

I've been looking at the N40L but according to Newegg its max supported storage is 8TB and it won't handle more than 8GB of RAM.

You can get more storage and 16G of RAM in the N40L, but the CPU will be too underpowered to do what you're asking all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
The N40L supports up to 6 drives and has no capacity limit. 4 slots are swappable, the other two can be reached with 5.25"->3.5" adapter and a few more cables. It also supports up to 2 8GB ECC sticks. If you can live with a little bit of noise from the PSU, this is the best low cost customizable NAS you can get.