Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

He was on the title screen of Final Fantasy XIII, and all he did was design the main characters' faces.

Can you enter fights seamlessly in Lightning Returns? I mean, not like the old 'touch an enemy, get whisked off to battle arena'. More like Final Fantasy XII and Kingdom Hearts.

Doubtful. If you look at the background during the battle footage, you'll notice the stage is missing a lot of geometry and detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

quote:

The game’s conclusion can be experienced straight from the package. (No download content will need to be purchased, unlike Final Fantasy XIII-2.)
The fact they have to tote this as a MAJOR FEATURE AND IMPROVEMENT gives me great hope for the game :rolleyes:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

"Lightning’s new costume is designed by Tetsuya Nomura."

No poo poo

That said this is starting to look a bit like Legend of Final Fantasy Majora's Mask, which I can get behind
This honestly feels like Nomura WANTS to retire, but due to the weird work culture they've got going over there in Japan, is completely unable to do so and is now resorting to trying to sabotage himself.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Calaveron posted:

The fact they have to tote this as a MAJOR FEATURE AND IMPROVEMENT gives me great hope for the game :rolleyes:

That's just because of what they did in XIII-2. There were a lot of unhappy people over it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Final Fantasy + Shenmue? I'm interested.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

So apparently there's going to be FFXIV on the Vita, maybe. That will be something. No real details so far, or promises, but since the game already has a controller interface and the new engine seems to work on pcs with lesser specs than the vita, it may very well end up being the full game.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 26, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Winks posted:

That's just because of what they did in XIII-2. There were a lot of unhappy people over it.

I don't get it, the Lightning DLC didn't add anything to the ending that was already on the disc. What were people complaining about then? :psyduck:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Krad posted:

I don't get it, the Lightning DLC didn't add anything to the ending that was already on the disc. What were people complaining about then? :psyduck:

You answered your question yourself. The game had a poo poo ending, S-E released the Lightning DLC and people got their hopes up for some reason, and then the (paid) DLC didn't add a thing.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 27, 2012

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Krad posted:

There was the lack of a conclusion to XIII-2. The public statements that the DLC would 'reveal the hidden truth' behind the game’s endings and so on. The failure of the Lightning DLC to actually do that. It also just feels wrong to pay for a short conclusion as DLC, even when they failed to do that anyway.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
There was plenty of conclusion to 13-2, just not what most people wanted (not in terms of tone, but in terms of things concluded; it answered it's own story machinations, for the most part)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

13-2 had a conclusion, the conclusion was just "Han Solo is frozen in carbonite, Luke lost his hand, sucks for everyone."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

13-2 had a conclusion, the conclusion was just "Han Solo is frozen in carbonite, Luke lost his hand, sucks for everyone."

Its more like "everyone is celebrating in a forest with a bunch of furry creatures after they defeated the evil empire." a few moments pass and then "Han Solo is frozen in carbonite, Luke lost his hand, sucks for everyone."

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

e: ^^^ Yeah, that too.

At the time the existance of a XIII-3 was speculation. I was 99.9% sure that there was going to be one, but without a guarantee and SE being coy about it there were lots of annoyed people.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was mostly annoyed that the ending meant there had to be at least one more sequel. I'm done with that world and would rather have S-E do something completely different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly just can't believe FFXIII got two sequels, but I guess reusing assets paid off for them.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Personally I was done after 13 but I liked 13-2 enough to want to finish out the saga.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Winks posted:

e: ^^^ Yeah, that too.

At the time the existance of a XIII-3 was speculation. I was 99.9% sure that there was going to be one, but without a guarantee and SE being coy about it there were lots of annoyed people.

Well that explains it. I guess it's a good I missed out on all of that since I bought the game like a year after its original release. :shobon:

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I bought the PC re-release of FFVII today, but after that I read that after 30 days, the download link expires. :psyduck: Does anyone here know if I can use the activation key as many times as I need? I'll live with it if I can keep backups of the download client and reuse the activation key whenever. I contacted support about this but I haven't gotten a straight answer yet...I REALLY wish SE had put this on GOG instead. :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

It doesn't matter what their written age is, it's the fact that they LOOK like literal children.

Yeah man, all asians look 12 years old! /sarcasm

1st AD posted:

I really enjoyed playing Xenogears until it became a 10 hour infodump, but the first Xenosaga is a really confusing and frankly upsetting game to play. A bunch of random poo poo happens and it seems to only appeal to massive anime fans or people who were dumb enough to think that it'd be as fun as Xenogears (like me).

Did the series get any better?

I love xenosaga but frankly, if you don't like :techno: and/or Old Star Trek episodes (as I do) you'll probably hate it. I however love scifi technobabble and soak that up like a sponge (hate poo poo like firefly venomously)

Regardless, 1 is decent but clunky. In terms of story and combat it's better than most rpgs imo. Skip II. namco is loving retarded and was like "well we didn't sell #1 in europe, lets sell it there with #2 but the sales were poor because we were trying to compete at the same time as FFX came out, so that means we gotta make it more ACTIONY!" Then sales of II were poor so they said gently caress it to europe again and tried going back to being more like #1 which they should have goddamn done in the first place. Also at this point they gave up. It was supposed to be six games, not 3. That being said, #3 is the best Xenosaga by far in terms of combat, though the story suffers from them having to shove it all in one game.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well everyone always complains that JRPG protagonists are too young. Ziggy is over a 100, chaos is some ridiculous age, Jin was in his thirties, I think Jr. was something like around late 20s and then you had Shion who was early 20s. Only MOMo was really young.
SPOILERS, Chaos is literally Jesus Christ and Jr looked the way he did because of genetic engineering, Ziggy died and was put back together. Momo is also genetically engineered to look like his dead daughter (probably forever), and Kos-Mos and Shion are Mary Magdalene and that other woman reincarnated.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Purple D. Link posted:

I bought the PC re-release of FFVII today, but after that I read that after 30 days, the download link expires. :psyduck: Does anyone here know if I can use the activation key as many times as I need? I'll live with it if I can keep backups of the download client and reuse the activation key whenever. I contacted support about this but I haven't gotten a straight answer yet...I REALLY wish SE had put this on GOG instead. :(

I saw something like that and that's pretty much why I've never bought it. Not paying money to play a lazy port of something with no improvements other than 6,000 developer hours of annoying DRM schemes.

SE, call me when you get it on Steam or whatever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah man, all asians look 12 years old! /sarcasm

I love xenosaga but frankly, if you don't like :techno: and/or Old Star Trek episodes (as I do) you'll probably hate it. I however love scifi technobabble and soak that up like a sponge (hate poo poo like firefly venomously)

Regardless, 1 is decent but clunky. In terms of story and combat it's better than most rpgs imo. Skip II. namco is loving retarded and was like "well we didn't sell #1 in europe, lets sell it there with #2 but the sales were poor because we were trying to compete at the same time as FFX came out, so that means we gotta make it more ACTIONY!" Then sales of II were poor so they said gently caress it to europe again and tried going back to being more like #1 which they should have goddamn done in the first place. Also at this point they gave up. It was supposed to be six games, not 3. That being said, #3 is the best Xenosaga by far in terms of combat, though the story suffers from them having to shove it all in one game.

SPOILERS, Chaos is literally Jesus Christ and Jr looked the way he did because of genetic engineering, Ziggy died and was put back together. Momo is also genetically engineered to look like his dead daughter (probably forever), and Kos-Mos and Shion are Mary Magdalene and that other woman reincarnated.

As someone who played only Xenosaga 2 I still have no idea how this happens and I don't want to know

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

As someone who played only Xenosaga 2 I still have no idea how this happens and I don't want to know

2 is really awful. It has an "okay" story but the combat is horrendous.

The mech combat in 3 is pretty fun/badass and there's nothing much I can compare to it in the jrpg front.

As for the characters, the director really really loves gnosticism. It's a cool premise for games if you ask me.

Anyways I just wanted to respond to that post a few pages back but couldn't at the time. :shobon:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Isn't it actually dumber like chaos isn't Jesus but his presence is what lets Jesus perform miracles?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

2 is really awful. It has an "okay" story but the combat is horrendous.

The mech combat in 3 is pretty fun/badass and there's nothing much I can compare to it in the jrpg front.

Anyways I just wanted to respond to that post a few pages back but couldn't at the time. :shobon:

I just remember seeing a 5 minute fight scene in one of the earliest cutscenes and thinking THIS poo poo IS AWESOME but yeah the story was not the greatest and the battle system falls apart eventually.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Isn't it actually dumber like chaos isn't Jesus but his presence is what lets Jesus perform miracles?

No, his old name was Yeshua, which is what jews would call Jesus of Nazareth. So yeah, he's Jesus Christ. It was the power of Anima that allowed him to work his magic. It was also because of Anima's power that the crusades happened in the first place.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 27, 2012

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Boten Anna posted:

I saw something like that and that's pretty much why I've never bought it. Not paying money to play a lazy port of something with no improvements other than 6,000 developer hours of annoying DRM schemes.

SE, call me when you get it on Steam or whatever.
I knew the game had DRM, but I thought it was just a one-time activation. Really though, why the hell would they put ANY DRM in an old game that people could easily emulate in ePSXe in the first place?

Like I said, if I have unlimited activations, I'll keep it, but if not, I'll try to get a refund. Hopefully SE gets their heads out of their asses and puts it on Steam and/or GOG.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 27, 2012

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I finally stopped being lazy with my FF games and finished 9. Incredibly satisfying, especially having also finished 13 recently as well. It's amazing what a coherent narrative will do for a game.

Since there are no other thread for this sort of thing, if I were to buy another PS1 JPRG off of PSN, what should I go for? I have 7 and 9. I have not played 8, Vagrant Story, Xenogears or FF Tactics. Thoughts? Save my money?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

If you want a coherent narrative, I would stay away from Xenogears. Vagrant Story and FF Tactics are good choices.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No, his old name was Yeshua, which is what jews would call Jesus of Nazareth. So yeah, he's Jesus Christ. It was the power of Anima that allowed him to work his magic. It was also because of Anima's power that the crusades happened in the first place.

No, we see him hanging out with a guy who is clearly intended to be historical Jesus with the implication being that chaos the REAL Jesus and the other guy was... something else. A patsy I guess?

Xenosaga was so stupid

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Xenosaga was so stupid
Xenogears and Xenosaga are what happens when a guy tries to be deep and artsy. Xenoblade is what happens when he says "gently caress that" and decides to make a game. I think everyone that has played all three of the games finds Xenoblade to be a better title.

swmmrmanshen posted:

I finally stopped being lazy with my FF games and finished 9. Incredibly satisfying, especially having also finished 13 recently as well. It's amazing what a coherent narrative will do for a game.

Since there are no other thread for this sort of thing, if I were to buy another PS1 JPRG off of PSN, what should I go for? I have 7 and 9. I have not played 8, Vagrant Story, Xenogears or FF Tactics. Thoughts? Save my money?
If you like dungeon crawlers then you'll love VS. Also its the polar opposite of FFVIII when it comes to setting. Its dark, dank the story is pretty grim. There isn't a whole lot of exposition but what littler there is, is very well written. Its shorter than FFVIII and FFT, but it has a lot of replay value.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 28, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swmmrmanshen posted:

VS and FF8 are hit-or-miss. That said, if it's "hit" for you, you're gonna be very pleased. I personally like VS a lot.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I missed out on Xenogears and finally tried to play it again recently but I just could not get into it. I just found myself really uninterested with the whole game, maybe I didn't get far enough? I got to the first 'dungeon' after you exit the city with the mech fighting

Also I still heartily recommend FF8. It has a lot of silliness and the battle system can be easily cheesed but I think it's a really fun game. I've actually probably finished it more than 7. (But that might just be the fact I keep restarting 7 every time I play it because I love the first half of that game so much!)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

swmmrmanshen posted:

Skip 8. It's a practice in insulting you for playing it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

swmmrmanshen posted:

Tactics is great.

I'll also throw a vote for Legend of Mana, though that narrative is everything but coherent.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games of all time, but the PSP version has a much better translation. All the games you listed are some of Square's best, or at least most experimental.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

swmmrmanshen posted:

Tactics is incredible so that's a must have. You can pick up the classics like Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Grandia, Chrono Cross, and of course IX. All of the games have problems(except for IX), but they're all worth playing at least once.

You can also try the Suikoden series. I haven't personally played them, but most goons seem to like them quite a bit.

Also:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Tactics is incredible so that's a must have. You can pick up the classics like Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Grandia, Chrono Cross, and of course IX. All of the games have problems(except for IX), but they're all worth playing at least once.

You can also try the Suikoden series. I haven't personally played them, but most goons seem to like them quite a bit.

Also:

You don't consider the long, awkward pauses for certain enemy attacks to be a problem? It really drags some of the random encounters in that game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Azure_Horizon posted:

Skip 8. It's a practice in insulting you for playing it.

This man is a liar.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

ImpAtom posted:

No, we see him hanging out with a guy who is clearly intended to be historical Jesus with the implication being that chaos the REAL Jesus and the other guy was... something else. A patsy I guess?

Xenosaga was so stupid

It was supposed to be a Gnostic thing. That particular system of beliefs says something like the spirit of Christ was in different people at different times.

Or not. Since Gnostic canon frequently disagrees with itself (intentionally, it is thought).

But whatever, KOS-MOS is the only really cool thing to come from Xenosaga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mazed posted:

It was supposed to be a Gnostic thing. That particular system of beliefs says something like the spirit of Christ was in different people at different times.

Or not. Since Gnostic canon frequently disagrees with itself (intentionally, it is thought).

But whatever, KOS-MOS is the only really cool thing to come from Xenosaga.

I'm aware (considering the enemies of the game are literally called the Gnosis it's hard to miss) but the execution in this particular case was pretty goofy. I really wanted to like Xenosaga but it had so many problems. I'll play loving anything with giant robots in it and probably enjoy it but Xenosaga falls outside that list. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I actually did like Xenosaga, but played through fully aware that the whole thing was incredibly loving goofy. Nowadays it's a little easier to appreciate knowing that the same people who made it can pull through and make something legitimately good (Xenoblade). Still, I wouldn't recommend the series to anyone unless their first reaction to anime bullshit is derisive laughter and not irritation.