Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Suddenly I'm getting Battle Royale 2 flashbacks and I'm not liking it one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Coolguye posted:

Crusader rage to gently caress up other Despair experiments comes to mind. That seems EXACTLY like something Togami would do, particularly presuming that the mastermind last time wasn't lying and his family actually is no more.
Togami doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who has the self-control to make a laughingstock out of himself if it serves his larger design. No real argument for that either, but he just feels that way.

Policenaut posted:

It would be pretty funny if everyone ended up slaughtered in one uzi-fueled orgy of violence. :v: Lotta despair in a bunch of corpses, assholes!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bifauxnen posted:

I was thinking about this as well. I think it would still be a nice twist to bring in a hidden student in this game, since they're making it look like they're avoiding it this time by having 16 students right off the bat. And this time maybe we could actually interact with the 16th student instead of having them revealed as a dead body.

Interact with the 16th student? Naegi gave her an OOPart. :v:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Well you guys are talking about a hidden student, and I talked about this before, but we still haven't been introduced to any of Matsuda's classmates of the 77th class and we don't know the number of this game's class, so I could see they being the same.
That could be the connection between SDR2 and DR0.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Coolguye posted:

It'll be interesting to see how Fat Togami and Crazy Hair Asahina fit in here, and what their SHSL skills are. I doubt they'll be the exactly the same, but even so, the resemblance between

and

is sort of hard to ignore, eye color aside. And I barely think I need to mention the resemblance in Fat Togami.

Asahina has a different:
hair color (slightly redder)
skin color (deeper tan)
eye color
bust size (smaller)
shoulder width (thinner)
eye shape (rounder on bottom)
jaw shape (again, rounder)
attitude (less abrasive) (admittedly, based against Akane's 3 lines in the intro...)
neck width (oddly enough for an athlete, thinner)
and finally, thicker eyebrows.

I am kind of bothered by various X is actually B from DR1 theories

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 28, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gensuki posted:

Asahina has a different:
skin color (deeper tan)
eye color
bust size (smaller)
shoulder width (thinner)
attitude (less abrasive) (admittedly, based against Akane's 3 lines in the intro...)

Quite a few of those things can be solved by Aoi having a lower quality picture. Though I don't think they are the same person as well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I think that a lot of them can also be solved by the fact that anime-styled characters often look similar, especially when the same artist is drawing them(there's a reason a lot of anime characters are made distinctive by wacky hair and accessories, rather than physical features). This isn't like Fatogami, where he has the same name as DR1 Togami and the same hair, glasses, poses, and attitude. I'm not seeing such a great similarity between Aoi and Bedhead other than their brown hair and visible rack.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Haifisch posted:

I think that a lot of them can also be solved by the fact that anime-styled characters often look similar, especially when the same artist is drawing them(there's a reason a lot of anime characters are made distinctive by wacky hair and accessories, rather than physical features). This isn't like Fatogami, where he has the same name as DR1 Togami and the same hair, glasses, poses, and attitude. I'm not seeing such a great similarity between Aoi and Bedhead other than their brown hair and visible rack.

Yeah going to have to agree I think it's just a side effect of the art style,but you never know with mystery games. :v:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The characters that look like other ones may not indeed be those characters. There's got to be something going on there, though. Being meta for the sake of being meta like that sucks, and I really hope they don't do that. It's just wasted potential.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah going to have to agree I think it's just a side effect of the art style,but you never know with mystery games. :v:

To be fair, Dangan Ronpa did catch us with a look-a-like trick already with the despair sisters, despite (or assisted by) arguments on the 'anime characters all look like each other,' side. People are not entirely unjustified in their paranoia, though I'm inclined to think the DR 2 staff are more likely to gently caress with us than to go for the same trick twice.

That said, I do think there's enough of a resemblance between Aoi and wild-hair that if I didn't know any better I'd think the latter was the former's older sister.

Or maybe it's Dangan Ronpa the next generation. I don't know.

Slaughtermelon
Dec 24, 2007
The most metal fruit.
I had assumed that Sonia's last name is a joke, since royalty typically don't use surnames except in special circumstances, like how Prince Harry uses Wales in the military. So she had to give two names cause I don't know, Japanese school system. At some point there was an exchange like:
"And your last name?"
"Oh, never mind."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Making some characters look like other characters is very deliberate on the part of the creator, is what I think should be the final word on this. It makes us generate expectations for the character immediately, even before they are introduced. In some cases it is subtle (Nagito's name partly being an anagram of Naegi's name, Sonia's poses being similar to some of Maizono's) to very blatant (Akane looking like Asahina). They also give characters personality traits that remind us of previous characters (Peko being similar to Sakura) and titles as well (Kuzuryuu being a Gangster, while Mondo was the leader of a Biker Gang). These similiarities might lead to something, but it's more likely that the creator wanted previous players to create wild speculations as to how these characters will be. Then later on they will either subvert the expectations or affirm them.

My point is if we go around pointing out how DR2 Character X is similar to DR 1 Character Y, we'll be here all day with nothing but a load of expectations and speculation that is purely based off what the creator intended to do by making the characters so similar to previous characters in various ways. It's nice to point out as a "hey look it's X!" kind of deal, but it gets old and ultimately goes nowhere because we still haven't even gotten past the introductions. Thankfully it should be ending soon since we only seem to have three characters left to be introduced if the count is right.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Really, Battle Royale 2 specifically? I guess this game and that movie both take place on an island and feature high school students, but that's where the similarities end.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

QuarkJets posted:

Really, Battle Royale 2 specifically? I guess this game and that movie both take place on an island and feature high school students, but that's where the similarities end.

People were talking about the concept of Nagito/Togami/etc being returning cast members with a "crusade" against the Despair Game, which is essentially what BR2's whole bullshit with Shuya's Wild Seven was all about. That's why the discussion reminded me of it.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I wonder if they are going to have any Syo-esque characters in this. They have obviously designed some of the cast to resemble the DR1 characters, and we do have the girl apologizing for everything similar to how Fukawa did. On the one hand I want them to because Genocider Syo was excellent and really funny, but then I don't know how you'd do it twice without it being a bit gimmicky and predictable the second time around. Come to think of it the SHSL Mechanic has the teeth and tongue. I wonder if that will be addressed in game.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
So I just spent my entire holidays making this. It was worth it, it's incredibly cuddly.

I might make more if there's a high demand for it.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

There's nothing I want more than a cuddly homicidal mascot character.

Rhiora
Oct 10, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

An amazing thing

That is abominably adorable, and I second the notion of wanting one.

purple_sammich
Feb 3, 2010
HelloWinter, you are Super High-School Level Awesome. I totally want a Monobear plush. :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

And as usual HelloWinter continues to show a stunning display of talent.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Add me to the list of those who would be interested in acquiring a Monobear of my own.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!

orenronen posted:

Sonia Nevermind
Height: 174cm / Weight: 50kg / Chest: 83cm / Blood type: A
Birthday: October 13
Hates: Umeboshi
Title: Super High-school Level Princess

Could you put a note what Umeboshi is. I had to Google it. (Apparently it's a pickled Ume fruit common in Japan.)

Also, is she basically supposed to sound like Starfire from the Teen Titans anime? Cause she seems to give off that vibe.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
That appears to be the common sentiment in the thread regarding Starfire Sonia.

HelloWinter I'd love to pay you money to commission another Monobear but I'm afraid if you took commissions you'd never have any free time anymore (or you'd make a decent living off of our need for cuddly despair).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hot drat. You are extremely talented, HelloWinter. Don't let that go to waste.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

HelloWinter posted:

So I just spent my entire holidays making this. It was worth it, it's incredibly cuddly.

Wow, you can draw amazing art (and fonts!), can LP an "un-LP-able game" (Phoenix Wright) extremely well, AND can make adorable, cuddly stuffed Monobears? HelloWinter is the Super High-School Level Artist!

Also I want a Monobear.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

HelloWinter posted:

Awesomeness!

That is... pretty neat! Such a cuddly Monobear! :3:

I too want a Monobear...

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I would kill for one of those plushes.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
So did you somehow convert that 3D model into a pattern, or is it for some even greater project that will melt our eyeballs out?

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Ezzer posted:

I would kill for one of those plushes.

Will you get a Monobear plushie?

THE ANSWER: AFTER GRADUATION!

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

HelloWinter posted:

I would actually pay money for this.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Ramengank posted:

Will you get a Monobear plushie?

THE ANSWER: AFTER GRADUATION!
Better yet,

Conro101 posted:

So did you somehow convert that 3D model into a pattern, or is it for some even greater project that will melt our eyeballs out?
I wish! The 3D model was made just to create a plush pattern (and it works!)

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Asahina has a different:
skin color (deeper tan)
eye color
bust size (smaller)
shoulder width (thinner)

I'm edging on the side of either "some are relatives" or "GENETICALLY MODIFIED CLONES!" A sort of Les Enfants Despair.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

HelloWinter posted:

Better yet,

I wouldn't mind you posting more teasers of the romhack graphics.

As for the Monobear plushy, it's too bad that I already have one from the game's Best Hits edition. And even then, it will probably just sit and gather dust here. Still, it's magnificent, and you should feel awesome for making it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HelloWinter posted:

Whoa! You can use 3D modeling to design fabric patterns? Dayamn. Time to learn a new skill. Was there a way to flatten the skin of the 3D model, or what?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

HelloWinter posted:

Ooh! Did you use AutoCAD?
I use that for my work and it works wonders for designing three dimensional models, though mostly for engineering type work.

Also, for thread related things: Our little Navi buddy sure seems to want to keep everyone happy and not questioning the island. I wonder if he is in league with the masterminds?

For that matter, in the last game, a single person was the mastermind behind the entire scheme. What if, in this game, EVERYONE but the player is in on the ruse? :tinfoil:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 29, 2012

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Ooh! Did you use AutoCAD?
I use that for my work and it works wonders for designing three dimensional models, though mostly for engineering type work.

Also, for thread related things: Our little Navi buddy sure seems to want to keep everyone happy and not questioning the island. I wonder if he is in league with the masterminds?

For that matter, in the last game, a single person was the mastermind behind the entire scheme. What if, in this game, EVERYONE but the player is in on the ruse? :tinfoil:

Technically it was 2 people, but one of them ended up getting perforated. That does sound like the kind of twist this series would pull, but it would kind of mess up the whole idea of some people being horribly executed.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

njsykora posted:

Technically it was 2 people, but one of them ended up getting perforated. That does sound like the kind of twist this series would pull, but it would kind of mess up the whole idea of some people being horribly executed.

It's an elaborate suicide cult, calling it now.

BTA
Sep 30, 2012

Vyxzuw posted:

Could you put a note what Umeboshi is. I had to Google it. (Apparently it's a pickled Ume fruit common in Japan.)

Also, is she basically supposed to sound like Starfire from the Teen Titans anime? Cause she seems to give off that vibe.

The more important thing about umeboshi, at least to my understanding, is that it's an acquired taste (for lack of a better term) that foreigners generally dislike. It probably merits a note for that as well.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Ume is a plum, it's a pickled plum.

And yes, I, as a foreigner, consider them gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Chiming in to say that the Monobear plushy is awesome. As for the romhack image, I wonder why you choose to add in the star motifs? The original version seems to be more plain and formal.

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Ume is a plum, it's a pickled plum.

And yes, I, as a foreigner, consider them gross

Except that the superman in Dr. Slump eats those to transform, which of course means that they are awesome. :colbert:

• Locked thread