Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
When threads like this just guess wildly every single post it takes a lot of fun out of reading it and it becomes tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

slowbeef posted:

Sherringford's right. There's no logic or evidence presented. It makes really trying to guess what happened not as fun, and it's white noise.

edit: My point is that people are just guessing everything. It really is crazy to say "This person exhibiting anti-social behavior doesn't want to do what the rest of the group is doing? It's obviously a crossdresser." It's just not enough.
Disregarding the VR thing, if that sort of thing bothers you, maybe reading a murder mystery LP just isn't the best of ideas. Guessing and speculating is kind of the whole appeal.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It can just as easily be argued that the sky changed black is a thematic thing rather than "Oh hey, we're in a virtual reality world," especially since this game is not really bound to any sort of reality whatsoever. I mean, you're not gonna say that DR1 is some sort of virtual reality because Mondo turned to butter when he was put through high speeds and the game has a hacker character.
Hinata did explicitly point out that the sky just suddenly changed to overcast in a heartbeat there, so I'm guessing it't not just artistic license.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Bland posted:

Don't worry, there's nothing to see, this is just how the Let's Play Subforum thread is

You can say that, but given the DR1 thread no theory should be discounted out of hand. Remember how many people scoffed at idea of Chihiro being male when several people saw it as pretty obvious. And of course the mastermind was guessed at really, really early on, to be followed by the Meme-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

As for SHSL Gangster... ehn. I can see it going either way. Between the face and the no-swimming thing, I'm leaning toward the crossdressing theory, but the voice (and male VA) keeps me from buying it completely. But this is Dangan Ronpa we're talking about, so who loving knows.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Most of the virtual reality theories came before that, based on a "glitchy" looking image. AFTER UPDATE ONE. Nothing more.
To be fair, the whole "glitching out" does seem like a pretty significant detail. And Naegi's blacking out in Update One of DR1 did turn out to be relevant to the bigger story.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Cardiovorax posted:

Disregarding the VR thing, if that sort of thing bothers you, maybe reading a murder mystery LP just isn't the best of ideas. Guessing and speculating is kind of the whole appeal.

I think there is a difference between blind guessing and trying to 'solve' the game though. To me the appeal of a murder mystery LP is trying to solve the mystery the game is presenting based on evidence we have. There's a lot of discussion that can be made about how to interpret a certain piece of evidence or things like that and that's pretty fun. I frankly don't see the appeal in just blindly guessing things because then there isn't really much to discuss.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Cardiovorax posted:

We haven't even got a murder mystery yet and we're at 73 pages of speculation

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skunkrocker posted:

Well, it's fun to discuss such things. Is it possible? Yes. Likely? No. It's, to me anyway, just goofy. Fun conversations about stuff in the game we can harp on about because nothing has happened yet.
Except that Slowbeef, the guy with the big sparkly mod hat, has said it isn't fun and is probatable. I'm with Sherrinford. This is a mystery game. In good mysteries, you don't try every insane thing you can think of on the chance it will work. You look at the clues you have, and you try to make decisions based on these clues.

We don't have enough clues yet. We're not at the end of the chapter called "A Quiet Party in St. Mary Mead". We don't even know for sure that there will be murders, for Pete's sake.

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
All I'm going to say is that this discussion (and, honestly, the thread in general) reminds me a lot of this.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
This thread sounds like a conspiracy theory whiteboard. There's this nice thing called atmosphere. The whole "bugging out" thing could be a nice representation of blacking out, instead of the Matrix sending another cat through a doorway. The weather turning dark could also represent "something bad's gonna happen!" instead of weather controlling.

Dangan Ronpa 1 was a crazy game, yeah, with some weird things like AI and robots. It was still, for the most part, grounded in reality. These theories are a bit too crazy. Chill with the analyzing and just go with the flow. There's no awards for "I called it the earliest!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
For a while in the DR1 thread I suggested we go back after plot points and call out the people who were most painfully wrong about poo poo EXPLICITLY TO discourage this darts bullshit that pervaded the last thread and is running rampant over this one.

At the time everyone called me a funhater because it would discourage speculation. I maintain that publicly laughing at the people who spewed nonsense was a good idea then and is a good idea now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Dr. Demon posted:

All I'm going to say is that this discussion (and, honestly, the thread in general) reminds me a lot of this.

Oh my god, it is utterly perfect. Crossdressing, past/present, VR/dream, everyone is clones. This thread is literally that skit. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

For a while in the DR1 thread I suggested we go back after plot points and call out the people who were most painfully wrong about poo poo EXPLICITLY TO discourage this darts bullshit that pervaded the last thread and is running rampant over this one.

At the time everyone called me a funhater because it would discourage speculation. I maintain that publicly laughing at the people who spewed nonsense was a good idea then and is a good idea now.

This isn't speculation in the murder mystery style.

This is speculation in the hands of a grade one class. And at least they only have like half an hour.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Dr. Demon posted:

This is perfect.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh my god, it is utterly perfect. Crossdressing, past/present, VR/dream, everyone is clones. This thread is literally that skit. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

You should probably laugh because this thread is not your boss.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CHiRAL posted:

You should probably laugh because this thread is not your boss.

Your right Slowbeef's the boss. But unlike the skit the boss is in the right on this thread.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010

Dr. Demon posted:

This is what it's happening right now. No joke. And this is when the terrible stuff hasn't even started yet, which is horrifying.

When the first body shows up, if it is a first body, I will look foward to the speculations and all that. Till then, reading Oren's update, Fedule's update and then off to read another thread.

Lana Death Ray
Dec 26, 2012

Apathetic Panda posted:

I may be in the minority but I'm hoping Usami is completely innocent of wrong doing and is just a cute bunny who wanted to take them on vacation till Monobear comes in and messes that all up. Poor Usami. :(

Yeah, I got so upset when everyone was mean to her. :( I want your cellphone strap Usami!

I thought Chihiro was a girl when I first saw him as well (which would be pretty cool) but then I listened to the audio clip and... oh man, no way. I guess if they chose a more ambiguous VA there would be too much confusion? Gotta admit he does not seem particularly interesting to me yet but if he manages to survive a bit longer I guess I might warm up to him (although I hated Togami till the very end of DR1 so maybe that's not my character type...).

I like the theory about Koizumi being a Junko/her sister type of a figure but at the same her skill seems to perfect NOT to be used in a murder mystery? She's pretty bland anyway so I hope she gets some development soon as well.

(Also, Souda's design reminded me of Syo (teeth/tongue in some caps) but then I remembered that fangs and 'shark teeth' are most likely just how yaeba is translated to anime. :smith:)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

slowbeef posted:

It's not really even a theory, too.

It's virtual reality that explains why Monomi teleports and transmutes cows into chickens? Or the weather? Okay.

Why?

Who set up the simulation? Are the students themselves real a la the Matrix or computer programs? What's gained from simulating this? Why this setting? Why does the simulation have anything to do with that? How is Togami real in the first game, but in VR the second? Who the hell are these other people?

Saying "It's VR!" is just wildly trying to guess one aspect of the mystery so you can look smart. But it's dumb because there's just no information to flesh any of it out. gently caress, this could all be actual smoke and mirror like Nagito suggested. In fact there's no alternate theories, because we still don't have a ton of information.

Slowbeef is right.

Pretty much the only things that the Simulation Wild Guess explains that can't be explained in another way is the sudden weather change and possibly the cow and chicken thing.

The sudden switch in location at the beginning (classroom to Jabberwock Island) and our new can be explained by whatever (as-yet) unexplained technology/voodoo stuff Junko used on the characters in the first game. Ditto for Hajime's amnesia.

For heaven's sake we don't even know when this game takes place in relation to the first game. Is it simultaneous? Before? After? There's no way to know at this point in the game unless you've already finished it, in which case why are you posting random speculation in this thread, anyway?

Unless you're actually Monobear. Which we can safely assume is a non-starter.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Unless you're actually Monobear. Which we can safely assume is a non-starter.
Monobear making an account to spoil the entire game does seem pretty in character.

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy

Dr. Demon posted:

I think "everyone's a ghost" was an actual theory in the last thread.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Kringlorr posted:

Monobear making an account to spoil the entire game does seem pretty in character.

If I recall correctly, there was a Monobear account that showed up at some point in the DR1 thread, though they didn't post spoilers, just lame 'in-character' posts that felt really forced. They were quickly called out as a gimmick account and promptly never heard from again after a couple pages, though I don't remember if they were banned explicitly for this.

The_Bob
Nov 7, 2012
For some reason, I can't help but theorize that Monobear will be embracing a more twisted form of "hope" this time, rather than out-and-out despair. Like the Joker or something.

It may just be me, but I can totally see him singing this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSYAV2lp5c

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Omniphile posted:

As for the Akane = Aoi theorists, how do you explain her having a completely different voice/voice actress?
Could be Aoi's VA from DR1 couldn't do a convincing "Aoi but a little older" voice. Could be she wanted to be paid more than Spike was willing to pay. Could be she didn't want to do the sequel. Could be she had other contracts and/or obligations, leaving her unavailable for hire. Could be one of a lot of reasons. Voice actors change pretty frequently in video games and animated series, most often between sequels or seasons.

ultrakirby64
Dec 30, 2012
From the way Skunk described it a few pages ago. It sounds like this is how Fukawa would write a book about the whole situation. Changing the setting, mixing people together. It just seems like it could happen. Of course this is all I got on it, so I'll just stop it here.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
It can honestly be said that everything in the 73 pages past is random guessing. The prologue hasn't ended yet.

I don't think anyone is trying to say "called it" when something happens, I'm merely expressing that of all things speculated, this is the one that can be deduced even without reference to DR1.
Every theory at this point is moot because there is nothing concrete whatsoever.
Everything will change and everything up to this point should be seen as somewhat random.

I'd actually prefer nothing i read thus far be true, I have much more fun seeing craziness unfold then seeing hundreds of us guessing until something feels right.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think what everyone needs to remember is that we are only ten updates into the game... these updates being part of the prologue, WE ARE NOT EVEN AT THE FIRST MURDER YET. You have no grounded evidence for speculation on anything, not even the characters. Why would you assume Fuyuhiko is a cross-dresser? Because he looks a bit girly and doesn't want to swim? Okay, why is he a crossdresser? Can you back that up with any real damning evidence? No, we literally know nothing about him other than he has a bad attitude, is a gangster, does not like anybody on the island and hates milk.

If you want to make a theory, you need evidence and educated reasoning behind your logic, not just "gut feelings," what happened in the last game and anime cliches.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No, we literally know nothing about him other than he has a bad attitude, is a gangster, does not like anybody on the island and hates milk.

Technically, we don't even know he's a Gangster, just that he's introduced himself as a gangster.

And if you want some secret reason he doesn't want to swim beyond not-wanting-to-swim, you could guess: Unlike a proper Yakuza, he doesn't have any tattoos. His skin is as unblemished as a baby's, and he doesn't want this to get out.

Or maybe he can't swim.

Or maybe he's got some horrendous injury he doesn't like showing off.

Or maybe he's a secret robot.

Who knows? There's all sorts of possibilities here.

Lady Rapunzel
Nov 2, 2012
Ah hell yeah. Hot trigger theories involving character X and banter involving those theories. This thread is almost like how I remembered the first thread.

Stay sharp...

I just realized that I couldn't think of a fan community nickname for fans of Dangan Ronpa. Do you have any suggestions?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lady Rapunzel posted:

I just realized that I couldn't think of a fan community nickname for fans of Dangan Ronpa. Do you have any suggestions?

Nothing, because that's not something that needs a name.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Lady Rapunzel posted:

Ah hell yeah. Hot trigger theories involving character X and banter involving those theories. This thread is almost like how I remembered the first thread.

Stay sharp...

'Dangan Ronpa Fans'

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

T

Lucinice posted:

When threads like this just guess wildly every single post it takes a lot of fun out of reading it and it becomes tedious.

This is truth, and it's the reason that outside of updates, and scanning the thread for fanart, I'm ignoring most posts by people.

Most people are just "guessing" (in quotation marks to be honest, because of past "guesses" in the last thread that turned out to be entirely accurate) so they can be "that guy" later in the thread.

No disrespect to oren/fedule, because the last thread was fantastic and this one is shaping up to be just as good.

That said, I'm pretty sure he's just antisocial and doesnt see the need to go swimming.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lady Rapunzel posted:

Dangan Ronpals :3:

(don't actually do this though, please)

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Lady Rapunzel posted:

Stay sharp...

I find myself calling people who like the game "Ronpers." I didn't even realize I was doing that until just now.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Lady Rapunzel posted:

Hey maybe you could inappropriately work the word "goons" in there, that'd be pretty original. I was thinking "Dangan Rongoons" but I'm not real good at this.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Hey maybe you could inappropriately work the word "goons" in there, that'd be pretty original. I was thinking "Dangan Rongoons" but I'm not real good at this.

So how 'bout that School Name Despair Team.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Dangoon Ronpas?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why not just Dangoons? Seems simple enough.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
What about "bastards"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
And that's when we've had enough Dangan Ronpa 2 for the day.

• Locked thread