Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I wish I could get into 3rd party music players, but I have less than 25 songs on my actual phone. Everything else is done via Play Music. That said, dear Jesus, I wish 3rd parties could get access to the music in the cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Meh, I just use Play Music for everything. Seems to work well enough, besides some little annoying issues like busted shuffle. If I want it to just play the music that's stored on my phone and not on ~*the cloud*~ I just set it to only show music that's on the phone.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Speaking of Play Music, is it normal for the phone (Gnex) to warm up pretty good while being charged + playing music for a while? (on a road trip)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Speaking of Play Music, is it normal for the phone (Gnex) to warm up pretty good while being charged + playing music for a while? (on a road trip)

Are you streaming the music? If you are, that would certainly cause the phone to heat up a bit.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What is a good app for logging time worked? Ability to calculate pay post-tax and poo poo would be cool too, but not needed. I have My Work Clock right now, and it is a huge battery drain for some reason, and has a crappy interface.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
On the topic of streaming music, how much data would it take to stream from Slacker Radio or something like that? And are any apps better or worse for data usage? I'm Canadian if it makes a difference.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
For reference, for one month I streamed Google Music coming to and from work, five days a week. Maybe two hours of travel total for each day.

That made me squeak in just under my 6gb limit.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

LastInLine posted:

FYI if you just lock the orientation from within the app it will stop crashing.

Aha, thanks. Finally found how to set that.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 7, 2013

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lcis.seeder

So this just came out for root users. It more than doubles the speed of your Android phone by increasing the entropy pool used in processing. There are downsides, but I haven't heard of any major ones. Can anyone weigh in on it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

neongrey posted:

Aha, thanks. Finally found how to set that.
Honestly I love Gentle Alarm but given that the dev has admitted he doesn't have time to maintain it and it's looking pretty dated I'd really like to move on from it. The only problem is that I've genuinely bought into the gimmick of the pre-alarm and I haven't seen any other alarm that has it. Of course if more bugs creep into Gentle Alarm I might not have a choice. :(

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 7, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guilty posted:

So this just came out for root users. It more than doubles the speed of your Android phone by increasing the entropy pool used in processing. There are downsides, but I haven't heard of any major ones. Can anyone weigh in on it?
Assuming this is the same thing (it looks like it, but maybe there is some subtlety I'm missing), there was some discussion a few pages back.

Specifically this post, EBL's two replies, and this. I don't really understand this stuff in much detail and I don't know how exactly that app is working but what I took from EBL's posts is: be wary of random people on XDA claiming to have "fixed" something so easily.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 7, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Guilty posted:

Tunga posted:

Assuming this is the same thing (it looks like it, but maybe there is some subtlety I'm missing), there was some discussion a few pages back.

Specifically this post, EBL's two replies, and this. I don't really understand this stuff in much detail and I don't know how exactly that app is working but what I took from EBL's posts is: be wary of random people on XDA claiming to have "fixed" something so easily.

In fact, XDA themselves have come out and poo-pooed the "hack". http://www.xda-developers.com/android/entropy-seed-generator-not-all-its-hacked-up-to-be

I think I also remember hearing that Google devs have come out to say not to do this but no idea where. It also completely murders your battery life, supposedly it basically keeps your CPU awake at all times.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Dr Blah PhD posted:

So, has anything been mentioned about the audio galaxy app? Its being acquired (then most likely promptly going to be shut down) by drop box and I actually used it quite a bit. Is there another app that does equal, if not a better job at streaming music from my pc to my phone? I'm kind of skeptical about google music, since 1) they want credit card info, which I find ridiculous and 2) only allows a limited amount of songs to be able to stream.

Depending on how much effort you want to put into this, you can install Ampache on your computer at home and stream all your music from there to your phone using Just Player. The only limits will be your local hard disk and upstream/downstream speeds. I assume that since you streamed before, you don't have traffic caps on your phone.

Also, does anybody know how to switch between two distinct dictionaries in SwiftKey? I'm typing in both German and English a lot on my phone and it seems to decide with every new sentence what language I'm using. Problem is that it takes about 4 words to do so on average - until then, predictions often make no sense and it's driving me insane. Is there a way to simply set it to one language and then have it only suggest things from that language? Simply assigning different keyboard layouts and switching between them doesn't seem to work.

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 7, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rye Bread posted:

Nova Launcher updated on my phone yesterday, and now any folders placed in my dock are displaying misaligned with its background[...]
Looks as though there was a fix for this in the latest beta. Nova Settings -> Check for updates -> ... -> Beta.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Geektox posted:

In fact, XDA themselves have come out and poo-pooed the "hack". http://www.xda-developers.com/android/entropy-seed-generator-not-all-its-hacked-up-to-be

I think I also remember hearing that Google devs have come out to say not to do this but no idea where. It also completely murders your battery life, supposedly it basically keeps your CPU awake at all times.

I ran this (the apk version direct from xda) for a whole day last week when it was 1st posted, noticed no difference at all in speed. Maybe my phone's too old (inspire) but it's got the fastest/smoothest "butter" rom it's ever had on it (cm10 based jellytime) and maybe it doesn't get any fasterthan that for old hw like mine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ante posted:

For reference, for one month I streamed Google Music coming to and from work, five days a week. Maybe two hours of travel total for each day.

That made me squeak in just under my 6gb limit.

I did a few tests like that when I took the train to/from work. Pandora was much more bandwidth efficient than Google Music.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kii keyboard just updated and now it's just crashing. :( (SGS3, stock derived rom)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Kii keyboard just updated and now it's just crashing. :( (SGS3, stock derived rom)

I ran it for a few days and loved the customization of it, but SwiftKey has spoiled me with its killer text prediction and I doubt I can ever use anything else.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I recently read about an app called Senti Wayk, which is an alarm with some cool features like the ability to tell it to snooze by saying "snooze" and an ascending alarm, etc. However, it looks like its been pulled from the Play store and the developer has gone dark. Anyone know of anything comparable?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AnimalChin posted:

I ran it for a few days and loved the customization of it, but SwiftKey has spoiled me with its killer text prediction and I doubt I can ever use anything else.

Is there a downside to running Swiftkey 3 Tablet on a phone? It seems to behave in exactly the same way as the phone version, with the added benefit of being able to use an app I bought for my tablet on my phone.

ColdCock posted:

I recently read about an app called Senti Wayk, which is an alarm with some cool features like the ability to tell it to snooze by saying "snooze" and an ascending alarm, etc. However, it looks like its been pulled from the Play store and the developer has gone dark. Anyone know of anything comparable?

Is it OK to post links to APKs for apps like this, or would it be considered :filez:?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 7, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just got an update push for a new version of the Swype Beta. I guess the big new feature is... no loving registering or logging in required anymore to download/install it.

Edit, found the changelog:

quote:

What is fixed:Swype Beta v1.4.0.11523

We have thoroughly examined the log files from users who were unable to add or remove words from their Personal Dictionary (as well as the code for Swype Beta itself) and have made changes to ensure that users are always able to add or remove words. After extensive testing we have been unable to reproduce this issue in-house using the latest version of Swype Beta. Further, as a precaution, we have put measures into place that will allow you to continue to utilize your Personal Dictionary in the event that it is wiped or becomes corrupted.

We recommend using our Backup & Sync feature as well. This feature will ensure that you can continue to use your customized dictionary. Backup & Sync will force a restore of your saved dictionary in the event that it becomes corrupted.
No more Swype Beta user accounts! New and existing Swype Beta users no longer need to register and log in at beta.swype.com nor in the Swype Beta Installer to download and install Swype Beta!

-NOTE: This will not affect Personal Dictionary Backup & Sync functionality.

Smart Editor: Smart Editor examines words in sentences completed with punctuation (e.g. !/?/./,) and determines if another previously suggested word makes more sense using a visible underline. This is a beta only feature!
Living Language: Living Language has been updated to include relevant and trending words via crowd-sourcing among Swype Beta users. Crowd-sourced words are now available to Swype Beta users who opt-in to the service.

- Note: Crowd-sourced languages include English, UK English French, French Canadian, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal)

Change Dictionary Behavior: Choose whether you want Swype to automatically add words to your Personal Dictionary, or if you’d prefer to have Swype ask you before adding words. Users can toggle this setting in Settings > Personalization.
Advanced Language Models added for Catalan, Croatian, Galician, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian, Serbian and Slovenian.
Dragon Dictation support added for Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Malay, Romanian, Slovak, Turkish, Thai, Vietnamese, and Ukrainian.

We’ve also implemented loads of bug fixes and general performance enhancements!

Also the keyboard pops up instantly for me now, before it would hesitate for at least a few seconds.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 7, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Zero VGS posted:

Just got an update push for a new version of the Swype Beta. I guess the big new feature is... no loving registering or logging in required anymore to download/install it.

Also the keyboard pops up instantly for me now, before it would hesitate for at least a few seconds.

How did you apply the update? Because I got the update notification and when I opened it all it said was "Please check for an update later" or something along those lines.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^trying exiting and checking again. It's done that to me a few times and that usually fixes it. Or wait 5min.

I'm happy to hear they're finally giving you the option to turn auto add off. I'm still sticking with SwiftKey Flow, but I think that was definitely a good move on Swype's part.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
It's still not showing as available for me, I'll try it again tomorrow. I'd like to get it if it fixes the keyboard popup delay because that has been driving me nuts.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Meh, I just use Play Music for everything. Seems to work well enough, besides some little annoying issues like busted shuffle. If I want it to just play the music that's stored on my phone and not on ~*the cloud*~ I just set it to only show music that's on the phone.

Is it possible to stream my google play uploaded music with another player w/out downloading ('pinning') my tunes?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tommy Wiseau posted:

Is it possible to stream my google play uploaded music with another player w/out downloading ('pinning') my tunes?

No, google hasn't made the API public yet.

At this point I think it's been almost two years since Google Music has went public, so maybe they never will.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

At this point I think it's been almost two years since Google Music has went public, so maybe they never will.

What about an app that pulls meta data from pinned songs to make them readable in another player?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I remember there was talk about someone that had torn apart the api and thought he was getting close to having it ready to be worked into 3rd party apps, but nothing came of it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

XIII posted:

I remember there was talk about someone that had torn apart the api and thought he was getting close to having it ready to be worked into 3rd party apps, but nothing came of it.

There are multiple 3rd party apps on iOS that can do it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Athenry posted:

There are multiple 3rd party apps on iOS that can do it.

GODDAMMIT!

Edit: between this and iOS' super nice Gmail, I feel betrayed

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

They finally fixed no spaces in the browser and I can finally add words to the custom dictionary again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

But it's also two months since they made it available outside North America, along with their big Nexus 4 push, so they're at least getting more serious with it

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
I know this will sound incredibly vague but I'm incredibly bored, so bear with me. Would you guys happen to know of any unusual or at least unique apps? I'm thinking along the lines of something artsy, a timewaster if I were to be a bit more specific. I'm just looking for something to mess and play with, really. Thanks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nN3b3JjZXJ5Il0.

Swords and Sworcery is the most laid-back game on the planet so that's something.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

XIII posted:

I remember seeing a mostly complete API in Python shortly after Google Music launched. Looks like someone has started doing one in Java:
https://github.com/jkiddo/gmusic.api

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

IuniusBrutus posted:

What is a good app for logging time worked? Ability to calculate pay post-tax and poo poo would be cool too, but not needed. I have My Work Clock right now, and it is a huge battery drain for some reason, and has a crappy interface.

I'm also looking for something like this. My work has the worst HR department and timesheet system so every paycheck is a nightmare and I'd love an easier way to log everything for my own records.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nN3b3JjZXJ5Il0.

Swords and Sworcery is the most laid-back game on the planet so that's something.

My friend played this game stoned and he literally accomplished nothing in the story. Just wandered around and vegged out.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Teeter posted:

I'm also looking for something like this. My work has the worst HR department and timesheet system so every paycheck is a nightmare and I'd love an easier way to log everything for my own records.

I've been using Timesheet and it seems pretty nice so far.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Are there ANY good podcast apps on Android? Trying to find something that can just download a backlog, play through lock, and not be a piece of poo poo is a pain. I don't even necessarily want to subscribe to anything, just download podcasts here and there. And some are just flat out missing from a search, while on my Windows Phone the base app has all those shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

UnbornApple posted:

Playing sword and sorcery stoned and not doing anyhting
Well, the music was great and the art direction was amazing, so I can definitely see that happening.

• Locked thread