Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chef, fat togami, and coach are keeping up a neck to neck race for best character award.

Between the hope shards, tamogachi simulator, and now hidden mono statues, I wonder how much more bonus content they have in store for us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
I started to play this game myself yesterday and am now further than the LP, so I will not even touch on speculation for future events, but rather just point out the sorts of difficulties one might have if they were to buy this game and play it even with no knowledge of Japanese. There are actually not so many instances of that so far — the game uses a lot of different elements, not just language, to get things across! Hopefully, orenronen, these comments will be okay since I'm not going to mention anything you haven't shown yet?

Fun fact: those Monobear figurines don't show up when you highlight for interactable objects, nor does your cursor change when you mouse over them. I may have gotten stuck in Hinata's room for a good few minutes trying to figure out what the game wanted from me at that point... :eng99: Whoever mentioned it earlier that the thing on the mantle looked like Monobear, thanks a bunch. That's actually what eventually got me thinking what I had to do!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

theshim posted:

Well, the Peko-Kirigiri comparison just fell off a bit - she's nowhere near as unshakeable as Kirigiri was. Also drat is Teruteru a creep.

Can we please not have a hundred opinions on who is a reference to who after every update? It's been talked to death. At this point it either has an unpredictable meaning or it's just meaningless meta-humor, and there's no way to tell which.

SOL_Cambot
Oct 9, 2012
Between more of Souda's freak-out faces, Hiyoko's evil grin and Owari stuffing her face, I can't decide which new expression I like the most.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

orenronen posted:

BULLETS CANNOT PIERCE SPIRIT!

Nidai! Please come be my life coach and turn me into a fierce warrior.

Also, I'm surprised they had Togami going for the food like that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

orenronen posted:

Yep. Nidai is officially my favorite character now. Goddamn.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Every time Coach opens his mouth I just love him more and more. What a guy.

I really didn't expect Souda to get so freaked out with how chill he was before. I don't think anybody in this game or the last had such a reaction, not even Hagakure. Understandable of course, though.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Can we please not have a hundred opinions on who is a reference to who after every update? It's been talked to death. At this point it either has an unpredictable meaning or it's just meaningless meta-humor, and there's no way to tell which.

Considering his post was "huh I guess she's not much like this character after all" I don't really think this was necessary. I'm sure Oren/Slowbeef will step in if it gets out of hand again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I seriously can't stop laughing at this sprite. I like this chick!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Nidai is awesome. I think the "SHSL Shine" title given by someone else earlier does fit him.

And it seems that Monomi is back. If she is on the hope side, hopefully she will give some insight as to what happened after her destruction.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I seriously can't stop laughing at this sprite. I like this chick!

I laughed like hell at that image too, Owari and Ibuki are tied in my mind for best expressions so far. Though Fatogami is schooling everyone in the awesome speech department. That poison line was drat gold. This however...

orenronen posted:

Might be the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. The eyes just stare....

Anyway, so it seems fairly safe to assume Monomi's back in the game. Hopefully we can now properly set up Team Hope vs Team Despair for the upcoming rumble.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
I'm digging Nidai and Tsumiki's character interactions. She's pretty weak but Nidai is really intense and doing his coach thing on her. Hopefully she'll grow a bit of a back bone from it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

Might be the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. The eyes just stare....

Kinda reminds me of how the characters in Touch Detective looked.

Commandant
Oct 9, 2012

Anime RPGs are serious business.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Kinda reminds me of how the characters in Touch Detective looked.

That game terrified me oh my god the characters were all so creepy looking and then the weird plots that happened didn't help 8(

This was a good update though. I like how Souda flips out and runs off and Hinata is just like WELP GUESS I BETTER GO TO THE RESTAURANT!

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

orenronen posted:

Okay, I have a favourite character now.

Kind of surprised at how badly Souda freaked out. I mean, it's one of the more realistic reactions to the situation we've seen, but still, he seemed to be pretty chill at first. I was pegging him as one of the token level-headed ones.

I'm gonna just assume that the Monobeasts are going to act as the "locked doors" and with each murder, one's gonna go away so the player has more of the islands to explore?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Okay, the coach has officially shifted from "could get annoying quickly" to being my favorite character so far. He doesn't seem interested in talking much except when it's time for a motivational one-liner, and that's just fine by me!

I'm wondering what the hell is up with the Monobear dolls, and specifically what's going to happen once oren collects them all. Something good(which makes sense from a gameplay perspective)? Something bad(which makes sense from a "Monobear is making you do this" perspective)? Or will they all look like this one, and your only "reward" is knowing that you have a shelf full of Monobears in shell bikinis? :gonk:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I made a note that the reds right now, as of this Chapter, look a lot better than in the Prologue. ... Though people may have already noticed this.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

orenronen posted:

Kyahaha! He looks tough but he's really a scaredy-cat!

I wonder if he's gonna be alright... People who act like that often turn out to be the first victims, you know?

:stare:
Nobody in this cast is at all suspicious about this? I mean it's one thing to go around stomping animals but... come on.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

StrifeHira posted:

:stare:
Nobody in this cast is at all suspicious about this? I mean it's one thing to go around stomping animals but... come on.

I think the game is trying to make Hiyoko a red herring. There's obviously something up with her, but I doubt it will be very important. It's just her wacky, cute personality.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

i300 posted:

I think the game is trying to make Hiyoko a red herring. There's obviously something up with her, but I doubt it will be very important. It's just her wacky, cute personality.

There is nothing wacky OR cute in that soulless little monster :stare:.

Also goddamn, Nidai has also lept up my favorite character choices with that line.

BlindCat
Oct 15, 2012
Hanamura was so distracting before I didn't notice his nosebleed is pink. I'm glad they remembered to stay consistent with blood coloring even outside of murders.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I hope that Nidai isn't too competent to live. These things always seem to devolve into the main character, a Watson type, and all the incompetents.

Hopefully DR2 subverts that trope.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

I hope that Nidai isn't too competent to live. These things always seem to devolve into the main character, a Watson type, and all the incompetents.

Hopefully DR2 subverts that trope.

Togami survived DR1, and he was pretty drat competent.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

orenronen posted:

I wonder if he's gonna be alright... People who act like that often turn out to be the first victims, you know?

I wonder how many of us were thinking the same thing?

Since Souda's been acting so jumpy this update, he seems like the type to panic and kill someone out of fear for his life. Then again, the game itself is pointing this out, so he might not end up killing or getting killed so soon.

Speaking of which, I wonder how Monobear is going to get the murder ball rolling this time. If this is anything like the last despair game, he's bound to start breaking out the motives once the students have gone long enough without killing each other. It'll be interesting to see which tricks he'll pull this time - or if someone ends up murdered without any additional prodding.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

yaoi prophet posted:

Togami survived DR1, and he was pretty drat competent.

Being an rear end in a top hat also gives you immunity.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wyvernil posted:

Since Souda's been acting so jumpy this update, he seems like the type to panic and kill someone out of fear for his life. Then again, the game itself is pointing this out, so he might not end up killing or getting killed so soon.

Speaking of which, I wonder how Monobear is going to get the murder ball rolling this time. If this is anything like the last despair game, he's bound to start breaking out the motives once the students have gone long enough without killing each other. It'll be interesting to see which tricks he'll pull this time - or if someone ends up murdered without any additional prodding.

He was shouting and struggling and flailing about.

There was a loud crash. Reminder: It's against the rules to destroy things.

Unknown actor enters the stage screaming "Kyaiii" with vengeance in his or her heart.

I can't help but feel that Souda's about to get punished for breaking the vase or glass or whatever, because Monobear has realized that people don't care about dead robots nearly as much as he does. Big pink puddle, on the other hand, might very well get someone's hackles up.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I don't know if it was named before I and simply glanced over it, but Rocketpunch Market is an absolutely amazing name. :allears:

And dammit oren, why you gotta always cut off at times like that! :argh:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

On the other hand, Hanamura panicked badly when he found the door was locked in the very beginning of the prologue. He may be in denial now, but he will probably start a murder plot after seeing a few bodies.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
So is no one going to wonder about who could have made the scream at the end of the update? Although I guess it could only be Usami, considering everyone else is supposedly in the resturant.

Also, I kinda wish that Hitomi survives for the entire trip, if only to freak me out everytime she says something :v:

edit: I mean Hiyoko, looks like I need to learn the names of the charcters better before I post again

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 16, 2013

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

WarpedLichen posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat also gives you immunity.

So Hiyoko surviving until or close to the end is pretty much a given ? :sigh:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carlioo posted:

So is no one going to wonder about who could have made the scream at the end of the update? Although I guess it could only be Usami, considering everyone else is supposedly in the resturant.

Also, I kinda wish that Hitomi survives for the entire trip, if only to freak me out everytime she says something :v:

By Hitomi you mean Hiyoko right.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Episode the Eighth

I'm gonna be honest. I wasn't really sure what to do with Owari. I'm kinda still not. I'm completely making this one up as I go - every time I try to deliberately write her lines in some particular way I just end up making her sound like Souda. Ultimately, though, her general manner - energetic, brash, and free-spirited - seems to be getting itself across just fine without my help.

Hiyoko uses little kid words, extends the occasional vowel, and calls people "big bro". Except, of course, when she suddenly doesn't. Fortunately, she's considerate enough to have designated "snark" poses, so I don't have to think too hard about how she should be talking.

Oren's been writing Togami dialogue for a solid year already, and you've been reading it over the course of all of Dangan Ronpa the first. So even if I did have some blinding insight into how he should be speaking (I don't), I'd have kept it to myself (or, at least, I'd have talked at insufferable length about it in this paragraph). Changing it now would just have been bothersome, and jarring for you.

Not unrelated:

Oren's been writing Monobear dialogue for a solid year already, and you've been reading it over the course of all of Dangan Ronpa the first. So even if I did have some blinding insight into how he should be speaking (I don't), I'd have kept it to myself (or, at least, I'd have talked at insufferable length about it in this paragraph). Changing it now would just have been bothersome, and jarring for you.

Not unrelated:

quote:

That was tepid! Lukewarm! Damp!

Are you... damp too?

Supposing for a second that Sonia Nevermind's introduction didn't happen, it would be Monobear's second line here that received the dubious honour of being the first line in the LP that didn't even come with a rough translation, just a line of "???????" followed by a note saying "here is a difficult pun" and a summary.

Monokuma posted:

Nurui yo, Nuru-sugi da yo! Nurunuru da yo! [It's nurui! Too nurui! It's Nurunuru!]

...Eh? Nurunuru na no?! [...Eh? It's nurunuru?!]

:thejoke: is that Nurui = weak/lame/boring/mediocre/etc and Nurunuru = onomatopoeia for dripping wet/slippery/etc. It's a pun, you see. Also, Monobear's sweaty sprite is part of the joke, you see.

In characteristic style I overthought the poo poo out of this and was trying to use the word "dampen" (opposite of "excite" et al) in that line when Oren pointed out that "damp" fits perfectly into both lines. What is it I do here again?

Erm. Now that we've met everyone, become acquainted with their silly speaking habits, and are into the game proper, I'm going to stop interjecting all the time with word-talk. After all, once things really get rolling, I won't want to be distracting from all the obsessing over tiny details you'll be doing without me calling attention to them, will I?

Anyway, it's been fun grossly overexaggerating how important I am to this thread. Thanks for reading! I might do some more of these in between chapters if there's cause to.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

MonsterEnvy posted:

By Hitomi you mean Hiyoko right.

Yes. I am dumb and don't read character's name correctly. Thanks for pointing it out!

edit: Also, just so you know Fedule, I like your translation style. I'm sure it would be just as good as an official translation, if it would ever happen.

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 16, 2013

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I'm really hoping Souda's just a fraidy cat who's lost his cool facade to the initial despair and isn't (or hasn't as the case may be) taking/taken any steps to be the first killer or victim.

However, anybody else notice this? I dunno if this is just the case for Hinata, but, uh, there's gonna be trouble with a bed that's sitting right under the loving window. Unless that glass is strong enough to withstand the mightiest gym coaches and kendo swordswomen, or the drat thing's bolted to the floor Hinata, would do well to move it post haste. Or sleep on the floor, because anyone willing to murder someone probably isn't going to be deterred by a glass pane to attempt it when they could just walk up and go *smash*.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Togami's eating habits make me wonder now whether he gained weight on purpose or if he really does have a newfound 'problem'. :v:

Fedule, I don't mind that Owari kind of sounds like Souda. In my head she kind of sounds like Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, which kind of fits how chill she is. That speaking style in general is just a good thing to give to easygoing or free-spirited characters, I wouldn't worry about an overlap.

E:

TKMobile posted:

However, anybody else notice this? I dunno if this is just the case for Hinata, but, uh, there's gonna be trouble with a bed that's sitting right under the loving window.

Who's going to want to have to pick up every tiny speck of broken glass they 'littered' with just then? :colbert:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Fedule, I quite liked the riveting translation notes! Well, the parts that dealt with minutae of translating puns and references, if not so much the notes on why certain characters talk like they do (note, I think the only reason this isn't quite as interesting is because you and oren have done a drat fine job getting the character's personalities across the translation line, the explanation of the process seemed a lil' a bit superfluous in some cases as it's done so well).

As I said before I think the cultural/translation references were one of my favourite parts in the DR1 thread, the explanations of character and setting, turns of phrase etc. really made the LP for me. I know the same stuff has been discussed (probably to death) in this thread by thread followers, but without it being in the main updates with the little rising sun , it's too easily lost amongst a sea of garbage speculation posts and posts from backseat mods about garbage speculation posts.

Anyway, overall great thread oren/Fedule, will be hanging on til the end once more. I might actually try to forget about the thread for a while just so I have a backlog to read, which worked a treat for DR1.

Peace.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Suzuki Method posted:

E:
Who's going to want to have to pick up every tiny speck of broken glass they 'littered' with just then? :colbert:

To be fair, breaking a window *into* somebody's cabin isn't littering; it's making a mess in your victim's home. If you throw a dude *out* of a window to the ground outside, then it's littering.

But seriously, even if those windows are tempered, unbreakable glass, this feels like an intentional interior decorating ploy by MB to, at the least, scare the poo poo out of people with paranoia if not actually increase the temptation impetus for killing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I wasn't expecting the mechanic to crack quite so badly.

quote:

Oh, fine! I get it! I'll just go get him, then!
Wait here! I'll bring him over even if I have to tie him down!

[snip]

Hey, don't tremble like that! Aren't you embarrassed as a man?!

I like Mahiru's attitude a lot. That's why she's my favorite character so far. I'm sure she could have tied up Souda and dragged him in if she needed to.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Ok I will now believe that the reason Togami became fat was because there was some sort of poisoning accident in the Monoworld and so he started to investigate every thing that is food and then he actually started to enjoy it! Ah the sacrifices a leader must make.

On a more serious note I would say the crash at the end there is Monomi appearing out of nowhere and scaring someone, possibly Souda or Mikan.

And jeez man poor Souda he is like really freaking out about this, poor guy.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I think it's interesting how the Togami we see here is actually calling meetings and generally acting like a leader straight from the off (even if he's still kind of an arsehole). The Togami from DR1 was a lot more aloof, doing his own thing ect. It was only when the original group was down to the eventual survivors that he started to take charge, if I'm remembering correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Fatgami is infinitely more likeable here than he was in DR1. I dunno if it's the fact that he's getting his poo poo together and acting cooperative, or the fact that he can plow through a buffet with lightning speed.

Also I guess I was wrong about the little Monobear thing being a decal, but it's good to know it's used for something! There probably might be one in other people's cottages (if not everyone's) but I wonder what they'll be good for... and what other outfits they'll have Monobear wear.

• Locked thread