Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I know you get the support bonus from multiple adjacent units, but do you also build up support level with all of them or only the one that goes into battle with you? I feel like it's probably the latter but thought I'd ask for clarification.
You build support with anyone giving you a bonus, as far as I can tell. (This is why I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to people paired with adjacent units.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I know you get the support bonus from multiple adjacent units, but do you also build up support level with all of them or only the one that goes into battle with you? I feel like it's probably the latter but thought I'd ask for clarification.

Any of them who are nearby who you have viable support with unless you're healing, at which point you only gain it with the person you're healing.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

Any of them who are nearby who you have viable support with unless you're healing, at which point you only gain it with the person you're healing.

Oh wow, that's pretty cool of them.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

So how much "support meter" does pairing up fill? Or rather much pairing up needs to happen before a support ranks up?

I know that in older games, just sitting the units adjacent to each other each turn is enough. Clearly that isn't the case this time around.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't think anyone really knows just yet! We know what sort of things trigger off of support ranks and the bonuses provided and such, but the number of points you need and how many you get for Pair Up or Double, etc. and if they vary between character pairs or have set levels across the board, I just can't find any information on that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh. Is Hector really not available as dlc?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

It's a goddamn shame.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Lotish posted:

I don't think anyone really knows just yet! We know what sort of things trigger off of support ranks and the bonuses provided and such, but the number of points you need and how many you get for Pair Up or Double, etc. and if they vary between character pairs or have set levels across the board, I just can't find any information on that.

The great thing about building support ranks through combat is that is makes the process more involved than in FE6/7/8, when the easiest way to grind low-compatibility supports involved sitting two units next to each other for like 57 turns.

And Hector should eventually become available via Spotpass, right? What's the difference?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slate Action posted:

And Hector should eventually become available via Spotpass, right? What's the difference?
No special art or model or anything.

Though you can get Armads from spotpass too, at least.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Do characters recruited through Spotpass or DLC have much/any dialogue? (I assume they don't have supports)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Slate Action posted:

Do characters recruited through Spotpass or DLC have much/any dialogue? (I assume they don't have supports)

No. Any time they would be required to have some dialogue (e.g. when they level up), they say "..."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

No. Any time they would be required to have some dialogue (e.g. when they level up), they say "..."
Well, they got Jaffar's character down!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Whelp, I broke and now have $200 more on my credit card.

:negative:

But at least I can console myself with my upcoming blue 3DS...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

In Japan, they've released two "seasons" of DLC to date, one from April to July and one from August to November. Considering the apparently high attach rate, and the conspicuously untapped remaining content, it is likely that there will be more. Nothing has been announced, however.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
We've got a class reel video for the English version with localized class names.

Highlights include:

Dracoknight -> Wyvern Rider

Gryphon Knight -> Gryphon Rider

Battle Monk/Cleric -> War Monk/Cleric

Dark Pegasus -> Dark Flier

Pretty much what you'd expect for the most part. "Dark Flier" is kinda iffy but you can get used to it. Though I'm surprised they didn't change Bow Knight to Ranger or Horseman or something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

We've got a class reel video for the English version with localized class names.

Highlights include:

Pretty much what you'd expect for the most part. "Dark Flier" is kinda iffy but you can get used to it. Though I'm surprised they didn't change Bow Knight to Ranger or Horseman or something.

We're back to wyverns then? I'm kind of disappointed, I thought dracoknight was going to be the name going forward.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dark Flier is not as cool a name as Dark Pegasus but oh well, the class still owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Dark Flier is not as cool a name as Dark Pegasus but oh well, the class still owns.

The best thing in the world is a Dark Flier with Aether. :allears:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing in the world is a Dark Flier with Aether. :allears:

Even better? By default any character with that class and access to that skill will also have access to Bowslayer.

:unsmigghh:

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
No matter how awful a name Dark Flier may be, you're still going to want to have lots of the units you use regularly become one at some point. At level 15 they learn a skill that allows them to take another turn after defeating an enemy unit (limit once per turn), which is just dirty as hell.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Timely Howard posted:

No matter how awful a name Dark Flier may be, you're still going to want to have lots of the units you use regularly become one at some point. At level 15 they learn a skill that allows them to take another turn after defeating an enemy unit (limit once per turn), which is just dirty as hell.

Yeah, I've already decided I want my Female Avatar to go this route ASAP after getting the skills from promoted Tactician.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Timely Howard posted:

You could also try getting mothers to pass it down to their male kids if you can grind that much before pairing shenanigans for more MURDER.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

Arbitrary Coin posted:

You could also try getting mothers to pass it down to their male kids if you can grind that much before pairing shenanigans for more MURDER.

It's too bad Serge can't become one, because having that on Jerome would have made him even more ridiculous than he already is.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Arbitrary Coin posted:

This is me, I am doing this.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 23, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In my experience with the high-end DLC, male children who inherit Lightning Speed from their mothers (meaning Azure, Brady, Wood, and male Mark) are the most powerful characters you can make, because quick slash is by far the best non-lightning speed skill and is both male-only and uninheritable.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

In my experience with the high-end DLC, male children who inherit Lightning Speed from their mothers (meaning Azure, Brady, Wood, and male Mark) are the most powerful characters you can make, because quick slash is by far the best non-lightning speed skill and is both male-only and uninheritable.

No, you don't understand. I wanted it on Jerome. :saddowns: I'm all right with Wood being ridiculously overpowered though, because he is just the baddest motherfucker alive.

As an aside, I just love all of the second-generation characters in this game. They're all unbelievably entertaining and have some of the best support conversations. Even Jerome's are incredibly endearing, despite most of them being some variation of "HEY JEROME WHAT'S UP WITH YOUR MASK?"

The Timely Howard fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 23, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perfidy! Where are the male-exclusive classes like Warrior and Berserker? Where's the Hero?

Also I prefer Ranger/Horseman to Bow Knight, to be honest. Ah well.

Agreed that Dark Flier is kind of a weak name compared to Dark Pegasus.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For anyone curious about the English voice acting, Chrom is voiced by Roger Craig Smith. I know this because he sounds exactly like Chris from RE5.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
A lot of you have plans for your Avatars (I'm going full heavy armor, super defense General, etc.) but is anyone else going to feel weird using a different model after getting used to the default male in the demo?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Highlights include:

I like how the "weak" Villager just palms that big loving log. Jesus Christ.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I wish at least one class used double daggers, oh well! I'm playing through Sacred Stones again and Seth's animations are awesome, especially when he gets a crit and he just kind of spins around stabbing them like a spikey helicopter.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I wish at least one class used double daggers, oh well! I'm playing through Sacred Stones again and Seth's animations are awesome, especially when he gets a crit and he just kind of spins around stabbing them like a spikey helicopter.

Think you've got your characters wrong, Seth is a paladin, not an Assassin/Rogue.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Leofish posted:

A lot of you have plans for your Avatars (I'm going full heavy armor, super defense General, etc.) but is anyone else going to feel weird using a different model after getting used to the default male in the demo?

I barely even remember what the default looks like and I played it like two days ago. It's not a very inspiring design so I'm going to toy around with the character creator to try and fine something that looks less forgettable.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Artix74 posted:

Think you've got your characters wrong, Seth is a paladin, not an Assassin/Rogue.

Oh, whoops! Colm. Not Seth. :v:

Artiph
Oct 3, 2012

Out here on the high seas, Dogi the Wall-Crusher becomes Dogi the Wave-Crusher!
Really trying to bide my time with, thoroughly enjoy, and satiate my hunger for numbers with the demo until FE13 comes out.

...With limited success.

I have to say though, I'm really hyped. It seems like it's the furthest thing from a rehash the series have ever done with all the new features and such, and major props to Nintendo for that, even when some of them seems like they could be potentially game-breaking. It's also seeming like it's getting a surprisingly large amount of exposure and hype.

Also, yeah, some of the localization really rubs me the wrong way. I can get behind Sigurd and Finn, but Seliph, Tharja and Dark Flier all rub me the wrong way.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Artiph posted:

Also, yeah, some of the localization really rubs me the wrong way. I can get behind Sigurd and Finn,

Says you. Zigludo is the only protagonist of Fire Emblem: Descent of Jihad for me.

Artiph
Oct 3, 2012

Out here on the high seas, Dogi the Wall-Crusher becomes Dogi the Wave-Crusher!

Cake Attack posted:

Fire Emblem: Descent of Jihad

You know, that actually sounds ridiculously hardcore and I love it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Honestly so long as I can follow how they romanized the name, I'm rarely bothered by things like say Seliph instead of Celice, they're hardly obligated to follow fan convention and at no point have they ever showed an inclination to do so.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

neongrey posted:

Honestly so long as I can follow how they romanized the name, I'm rarely bothered by things like say Seliph instead of Celice, they're hardly obligated to follow fan convention and at no point have they ever showed an inclination to do so.

This is basically the correct opinion. Thankfully I haven't seen much rage over the changes, but I'm sure if I went to GameFAQs or Serenes Forest I could find plenty of hilarious nerd tears righteously indignant truefans :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Like I can appreciate if you've used a given spelling for years and it's changed to something that's thoroughly unlike to what you're used to, but in most of these cases they're just as accurate a translation as the fan convention.

• Locked thread