Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

SimplyCosmic posted:

Meanwhile, at the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Cleveland, Ohio meeting ...

Cleveland :argh:

Who's the young guy on the right? He's got about 30 years before he can attend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat I need to get off my rear end and start doing this. Take a 3-4 day weekend and just ride, camp wherever or get a hotel then take a different route back.

I've done it for a weekend but I just don't have the chutzpah to go further than that without reservations and a clear idea of where I'm going.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
here's a handy resource for bike thieves
type in a type of motorcycle and get a google street view of where the pic was taken or more often the house it was uploaded from
eg.
http://sm.rutgers.edu/thebeat/?q=fireblade

obviously its hit and miss as to finding one nearby but its still a good reason to strip geolocation data from your pictures before uploading

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 26, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Wow, there are like, thousands of motorcycles at this one turn at Deals Gap!"

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

"Wow, there are like, thousands of motorcycles at this one turn at Deals Gap!"

I was thinking of using it as a holiday destination picker and becoming an international bike thief.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Baglbeabs* :ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Watching LWR again. Christ is Ewan bad -- he dumps the bike all the time. Charley doesn't seem to have any trouble with the roads, which makes me think that the only off-road experience Ewan ever had was that one day in Wales they showed at the beginning. Way to go.

Ewan is definitely more likeable, cause Charley is a giant tool, but he's certainly nothing on the road compared to, say, one of the guys on ADV-riders.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Sagebrush posted:

Ewan is definitely more likeable, cause Charley is a giant tool, but he's certainly nothing on the road compared to, say, one of the guys on ADV-riders.

Oh I dunno... I was pretty amused with Charley's abuse of a Honda Cub on Greatest Ever. I just can't see Obi-wan being that much of an amusing tool on a bike.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sagebrush posted:

Watching LWR again. Christ is Ewan bad -- he dumps the bike all the time. Charley doesn't seem to have any trouble with the roads, which makes me think that the only off-road experience Ewan ever had was that one day in Wales they showed at the beginning. Way to go.

Ewan had been riding on street for a long time but that was pretty much his first time offroad ever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think MY FIANCEE has ruined bike rides for me. When I first got a bike she didn't approve and thought it was terrible, which was fine by me. I would routinely just go out for a ride and have fun. As time went on she became more and more interested and we'd go on rides with her riding pillion, which is great and all but not exactly fun. Nonetheless I would keep going on rides.

Keep in mind I ride my bike every day to work, even now. I only have one other friend who rides bikes and he is a complete lunatic with a literbike, riding with him makes me nervous.

Eventually she got her own bike, it was slow and crap but she loved it and we would go on rides together, which was magical even though I had to keep at her pace. After about half a year of owning it, circumstances forced her to sell it and buy a car. It has now been a year since she had a bike, she badly wants one again but she hasn't got the money to buy one.

I can't go on rides on my own anymore because I find them too boring without her. It's a sunny day here and the roads are clear and I just can't be bothered because I'll be on my own. :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Buy her one yourself then :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah this is a pretty obvious solution here. She has experience, and presumably already has all the gear and stuff too, so the only outlay is the actual cost of the motorcycle. Luckily, smallish motorcycles are cheap, and if you're going to get married to her it's not like you're just throwing away a couple grand on a whim, so her buy one already! I recommend a CB350.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah this is a pretty obvious solution here. She has experience, and presumably already has all the gear and stuff too, so the only outlay is the actual cost of the motorcycle. Luckily, smallish motorcycles are cheap, so buy her one yourself! I recommend a CB350.

Over here they aren't really, and I'm broke. She'll just have to wait unfortunately.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doublepost. Just went for a ride to burn off the last of my petrol before I get paid; turns out V-twins really do drink when you're giving them poo poo. Also turns out that dealing with merciless beatings isn't the SV's strong suit; I cooked the brakes and the front end does some terrifying things when you start reaching the limits of grip. Was pretty frustrating really, currently regretting selling the hornet. Still a good ride though.

Replacing brake fluid tomorrow! Hooray!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You managed that on the street? You must have some pretty intense roads to cook the brakes off (or really lovely fluid or something). Same for the tires.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah...weren't you just asking for advice on how to get more comfortable leaning into the corners there, Rossi?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JP Money posted:

You managed that on the street? You must have some pretty intense roads to cook the brakes off (or really lovely fluid or something). Same for the tires.

The road I was on is basically a series of 400m straights connected by corners marked 45km/h. Also i doubt the fluid has ever been replaced on this bike.

I find the SV to have really unsettling handling and grip, I don't know if it's just my bike (totally standard K3) or what. The tyres aren't particularly bad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Yeah...weren't you just asking for advice on how to get more comfortable leaning into the corners there, Rossi?

Yes, I was, because I can't seem to corner the SV without the front being all over the place and it feels really unstable. I don't know if it's the bike or not because I didn't have this problem anywhere near as badly on my hornet. No need to get snarky.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sounds like something isn't right with that bike on both fronts...what do you mean by "cooked brakes"? You have to be riding pretty hard to overheat them on the street...

How to the suggested corner speed markers work where you live? Around here I find doubling them to be normal.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Slavvy posted:

The road I was on is basically a series of 400m straights connected by corners marked 45km/h. Also i doubt the fluid has ever been replaced on this bike.

I find the SV to have really unsettling handling and grip, I don't know if it's just my bike (totally standard K3) or what. The tyres aren't particularly bad.

Unless you really messed with the suspension settings and have it set up pretty crazy it's probably fine. I'd expect an SV to handle better than a hornet to be honest unless it was a newer hornet. I'm guessing you didn't swap from a newer hornet to an older SV but I guess that's possible.

Any time you're starting out and learning to corner and feel like the bike is holding you back it's probably not true IMO. There are people on tracks pushing 650's nearly as hard as 600SS's. Granted those are set up better, but you're still probably not anywhere close to pushing the limits of an SV on the street and if so it's probably not in the safest way. The brake fluid is probably just old / has some water in it - I still doubt you're totally cooking it off but it might be fading a bit and need replacement with fresh fluid ( Try out RBF).

It's been my experience that a lot of people that are new to trying to corner bikes think they're really leaned over and pushing hard when in reality they're barely leaned, have mixed body position, and aren't anywhere near as close to touching a knee down as they feel they are. The sensation of cornering harder than they do in town leads them to think they're really pushing it hard. I'm not saying this is your case, it's just something to keep in mind as you learn and grow on the bike. Try to evaluate your own riding with a gopro or something to get a non-biased view of your riding and it'll make you much safer and faster in the long run.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Sounds like something isn't right with that bike on both fronts...what do you mean by "cooked brakes"? You have to be riding pretty hard to overheat them on the street...

How to the suggested corner speed markers work where you live? Around here I find doubling them to be normal.

They're inconsistent. Some of them you can do well over double, others you can barely do at 150%. Just depends on how the half-drunk engineer was feeling because the road surface varies WILDLY and the markers don't take that into account.

I'm pretty sure I've just hosed the fluid, by the time I was riding home the lever wouldn't bite immediately and coming to a complete stop from 100km/h required more brake pressure than normal. I can't vouch for whatever pads are in the bike so it could very well be poo poo brakes.

As for the bike, I've found that when I finish braking and go to enter the corner, if I do anything remotely untoward or un-smooth like hit a bump in the road or have to adjust my line for whatever reason, the front turns really vague and starts to sort of wobble, it's hard to explain.

edit: to the person above:

I went from an 02 hornet 919 to an 03 sv650n, mileages similar. The suspension on the hornet was MILES ahead, as were the brakes and the whole bike in general. I've been riding for 3 years and the SV is the first bike I've ridden that feels like it's holding me back, all the others have felt like I could go faster if I were a better rider. The SV feels like the engine power is disproportionate compared to the suspension and brakes.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

They're inconsistent. Some of them you can do well over double, others you can barely do at 150%. Just depends on how the half-drunk engineer was feeling because the road surface varies WILDLY and the markers don't take that into account.

Yeah, this has been my experience with road sign markers. My nearest-death experience on a bike was because I was riding a road marked 15mph on the turns where you could easily take them at 30-35, then encountered one turn that really truly was 15mph. Went wide, missed a car in the opposite lane by like five inches, kept it upright until I stopped at which point I fell over because in sheer terror I forgot to put my feet down.

Now, on any road where I can't see through the entire turn and/or don't have have it completely memorized, I stick to the marked limit or maybe 5 over at most, even if that turns out to be ridiculously slow.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

In Australia (well, NSW at least) I seem to recall our bike license instructor saying that the corner speed suggestion is the speed which will give you 7 seconds of vision through the corner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That lovely feeling you get is the terrible stock front suspension bottoming out. The front end is sprung for an 80 pound rider, stock, and the front fork oil is essentially water after 3k or so. I promise that if it's on the stock fork oil and springs you are bottoming the poo poo out of the suspension. I cant ride a stock sv with a reasonable amount of mileage quickly at all because the suspension is so poo poo. Fix the suspension, either with springs, fresh fork oil, or with a front end swap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

That lovely feeling you get is the terrible stock front suspension bottoming out. The front end is sprung for an 80 pound rider, stock, and the front fork oil is essentially water after 3k or so. I promise that if it's on the stock fork oil and springs you are bottoming the poo poo out of the suspension. I cant ride a stock sv with a reasonable amount of mileage quickly at all because the suspension is so poo poo. Fix the suspension, either with springs, fresh fork oil, or with a front end swap.

Yeah I intend to switch to 20w fork oil asap. If I could afford a fancy fork swap I'd just buy a better bike. How would I go about buying springs appropriate for my weight and where? Keeping in mind I'm in nz.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can use racetechs online calculator to figure out the spring rate and then contact your local shop and see what options you have in that spring rate. Or just contact them and see if they know what's up. Any local race shops?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

You can use racetechs online calculator to figure out the spring rate and then contact your local shop and see what options you have in that spring rate. Or just contact them and see if they know what's up. Any local race shops?

Not that I'm aware of, that sort of thing is pretty thin on the ground here. Everyone seems to be an at-home spannerer who gets his poo poo online; I'm not aware of any place that sells legit performance stuff for bikes that isn't just mufflers and tat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anybody on Instagram? We should start a CA goons hashtag. Any suggestions?

#CAGOONS?

I thought #bieks might get too much other crap from people mis-spelling #bikes

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Z3n posted:

The sv has the damping rod suspension as well right? I will have an emulator install series of photos this weekend as something of a howto. People swear up and down about the improvement... but then again they swear just as much about car tires on bikes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gunna get infiltrated by Cali thugz

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An acquaintance of mine would tour Europe on his 916SPS with not so much as a rucksack, just a credit card and a list of hotels. He'd literally spend a couple of weeks in his leathers, maybe occasionally buying a t-shirt and some trousers if he wanted to go out of his hotel to eat and then leaving them behind the next morning. Fortunately I never met him after one of these trips but before he'd had a chance to change and shower.

(The friend we shared was either less, or more, hardcore depending on your point of view. He'd tour on a Ninja 900 and take a couple of changes of clothes in a tankbag, but instead of hotels he'd sleep on a foil blanket - no sleeping bag or tent - at campsites. If it rained he just put his waterproofs on)

I want to do this, but with a single pair of jeans and a couple of undies and t=shirts and changes of socks in a tank bag.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, this has been my experience with road sign markers. My nearest-death experience on a bike was because I was riding a road marked 15mph on the turns where you could easily take them at 30-35, then encountered one turn that really truly was 15mph. Went wide, missed a car in the opposite lane by like five inches, kept it upright until I stopped at which point I fell over because in sheer terror I forgot to put my feet down.

Now, on any road where I can't see through the entire turn and/or don't have have it completely memorized, I stick to the marked limit or maybe 5 over at most, even if that turns out to be ridiculously slow.

Around me (CT and Downstate NY) there's a lot of similar stuff. Some twisty roads have a 45-55 mph speed limit and many *25mph* turns can be taken at the speed limit but for some you better drat be sure you're doing 25-30 mph. Like you, unless I've got the road memorized I go no more than 5 mph over the recommended limit.

Even memorized, I remember a few months ago riding pretty aggressively, coming around a corner to see two stopped trucks in the road. I was going a fair amount over the limit and had to stop pretty hard.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Slavvy posted:

I'm pretty sure I've just hosed the fluid, by the time I was riding home the lever wouldn't bite immediately and coming to a complete stop from 100km/h required more brake pressure than normal. I can't vouch for whatever pads are in the bike so it could very well be poo poo brakes.

It's really not hard to overheat the braking system on many bikes out of the factory. A bit of heat soak from repeated use even though the rider isn't being a loon, and they start to get soggy and non-responsive. I've had my brakes fade to the point of deciding to stop by the side to let them cool more than once.

A few bucks for better front pads (don't bother with HH or similar on the rear, stay soft, you'll just eat the rotor otherwise), braided lines, better fluid, and sometimes a rotor replacement. A bit of change in your braking style and gear selection can also make a world of difference.

Slavvy posted:

I went from an 02 hornet 919 to an 03 sv650n, mileages similar. The suspension on the hornet was MILES ahead, as were the brakes and the whole bike in general. I've been riding for 3 years and the SV is the first bike I've ridden that feels like it's holding me back, all the others have felt like I could go faster if I were a better rider. The SV feels like the engine power is disproportionate compared to the suspension and brakes.

I've seen all sorts of modifications on SVs to get them handling better. Ultimately I think the best solution is to buy a new bike, despite how much fun the SV engine can be.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

snail posted:

I've seen all sorts of modifications on SVs to get them handling better. Ultimately I think the best solution is to buy a new bike, despite how much fun the SV engine can be.

No. There is absolutely nothing more rewarding on a motorcycle than making the handling better. It's something you can use all the time. and is something that is important for everyone to understand how to do, or at least have an idea of what to do. The SV is a great platform to learn on, as it uses suxuki parts bin bits, and you can easily take it from damper rod cheapbike specs to 12,000 bike bits with only a few hundred dollars and some dirty fingers. You will have something that will handle better than anything you can get off the shelf.

Even if you buy a great bike you'd still need to take the time to set it up for yourself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nerobro posted:

No. There is absolutely nothing more rewarding on a motorcycle than making the handling better. It's something you can use all the time. and is something that is important for everyone to understand how to do, or at least have an idea of what to do. The SV is a great platform to learn on, as it uses suxuki parts bin bits, and you can easily take it from damper rod cheapbike specs to 12,000 bike bits with only a few hundred dollars and some dirty fingers. You will have something that will handle better than anything you can get off the shelf.

Even if you buy a great bike you'd still need to take the time to set it up for yourself.

I'm not unfamiliar with bikes that handle well and bikes with adjustable suspension. I've been riding for just over 3 years, I'm on the SV because of circumstance, not to learn. I'm leaning toward just replacing it but I won't be able to for the next year or more, so I'll probably have to shell out a little bit of coin to make it ride better.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Nerobro posted:

The SV is a great platform to learn on, as it uses suxuki parts bin bits, and you can easily take it from damper rod cheapbike specs to 12,000 bike bits with only a few hundred dollars and some dirty fingers. You will have something that will handle better than anything you can get off the shelf.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my SV. That said, everyone I know that has owned one and invested time into the suspension ended up either accepting what they could get, or just buying another bike to start with as a baseline. They ride well enough, but if I want to circlejerk about how incredible the SV is I'll do it on a SV forum.

Everything from GSXR front ends, to replaced internals, to custom built cartridges. No matter what was done, another quirk in handling appeared. It's a solid first bigger bike, just don't expect to ever reach the levels of many other bikes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nerobro posted:

I second this notion. Suspension tuning and geometry is one of the hardest things to get right but it is hands-down the most rewarding.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SimplyCosmic posted:

Meanwhile, at the BMW Motorcycle Owners of Cleveland, Ohio meeting ...

Cleveland :argh:

Is that a BMW-branded insulin pump at his belt? :v:

As for Instagram, I don't use the fucker, but I'd be willing to take a look. Why not #cycleasylum? Or #biekgoons.

Will it make my phone ding for pictures of goons riding like dongs? The dong-ding.

Edit: downloaded the app and uploaded a picture, tagged #cycleasylum, #biekgoons, and #cagoons. So I guess there's that.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 29, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Where would one learn about suspension geometry, especially how rake and trail* affect handling? I'm intrigued by the idea of upgrading '80s bikes with modern suspension, but many (most?) of them were raked-out Custom/Limited/Special cruisers.

*as well as wheelbase, swingarm angle, rear shock angle, etc.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 29, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

snail posted:

Don't get me wrong, I loved my SV. That said, everyone I know that has owned one and invested time into the suspension ended up either accepting what they could get, or just buying another bike to start with as a baseline. They ride well enough, but if I want to circlejerk about how incredible the SV is I'll do it on a SV forum.

Everything from GSXR front ends, to replaced internals, to custom built cartridges. No matter what was done, another quirk in handling appeared. It's a solid first bigger bike, just don't expect to ever reach the levels of many other bikes.

Yeah, fundamentally the weight distribution and geometry of an SV (or any commuter/starter bike) are always going to put it at a disadvantage to a bike built to be sporty from the off.

It's a good bike for what it is, but I don't see the point of trying to make it something it isn't when you can trade it in for something more suitable for less cash (unless you just love the bike, which I can understand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is that a BMW-branded insulin pump at his belt? :v:

As for Instagram, I don't use the fucker, but I'd be willing to take a look. Why not #cycleasylum? Or #biekgoons.

Will it make my phone ding for pictures of goons riding like dongs? The dong-ding.

Edit: downloaded the app and uploaded a picture, tagged #cycleasylum, #biekgoons, and #cagoons. So I guess there's that.

I like #cycleasylum the best. Lets use that one.