Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Agent355 posted:

I just took a lightning witch into act 2 without issue. My theorycraft says to just go full out spark forever, matching it up with fork and lesser/greater multiple projectiles. So far I just have fork and spark. Indoors I just destroy things in the middle of an epileptic inducing battle royale. Outdoors is a bit tougher since the sparks tend to go every which way and aggro things from off screen :haw:

I have no idea if it will be viable at higher levels but I don't care, it just sounds too awesome to imagine shooting 9+ forking sparks.

Arc. Once you have it, life becomes a doddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the tips. Some more questions: Is bloodless worthwhile (no enemy can leech life from you), and does arcane efficiency (reduces mana costs) work with blood magic?

alr
May 14, 2009
Suddenly, my Marauder became fun

Anyone know of anything else I can use that's STR based for dealing damage/supporting Infernal Blow? Got Molten Shell, but that's it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've made some poor choices with my gem selection. Does anyone have spare life on hit and ground slam gems available? I'm only in Act 2 so I don't have much to offer, but I have some stuff saved

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Melee support gems are kind of boring at the moment. Casters/Bow characters get fork and chain and multiple projectiles and totem and traps and poo poo, melee gets increased AoE, which probably won't even work with Infernal Blow anyway.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

alr posted:

Suddenly, my Marauder became fun

Anyone know of anything else I can use that's STR based for dealing damage/supporting Infernal Blow? Got Molten Shell, but that's it.

Got Facebreaker as well but I'm playing a wand witch. How good are they for melee? "Extra gore" seems fun. :black101:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Is there an audible noise when you crit? Also am I the only one that thinks the sound of a bow hitting someone was ripped directly from Might and Magic 3-5's melee combat hit sound?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

You shouldn't be hitting things with a bow.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
My character is not smart enough to know you can launch projectiles from it. It's a club.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Melee support gems are kind of boring at the moment. Casters/Bow characters get fork and chain and multiple projectiles and totem and traps and poo poo, melee gets increased AoE, which probably won't even work with Infernal Blow anyway.

Yeah I have heard that adding more melee skills to the game is a thing that is probably happening soon. Hopefully people that use 2h swords will get some more options since they're very limited compared to other weapons currently.

I'm currently leveling a Shadow that uses a bow and elemental stats/skills, hopefully tonight I can find a 3link item to play with Ice or Lightning shots linked with Fork and LMP. I'm also looking for a Death's Harp if anyone finds one and wants to sell.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
I don't understand all this love for leap strike. I run with flicker strike on my maurauder and that gets the job done just fine. Hell, if you get enough movespeed you can flicker, step out of range and flicker again. Also adding +fire and +elemental damage rocks. I can get my infernal strike dps up to 1250 at level 40 and thats without most of my tree defensive.

I'm almost to act 2 cruelty. Should I pick up the can't evade, can't be stunned? I'm 50% ele resist and 45% armor reduction. I was thinking of waiting till I get the evade to armor skill first.

Last question, My lifesteal gem is at 2% should I use a +life on hit gem? My groundslam is at 502dps now. Just wondering when I should make the change.

Also: Thanks for whoever said the fusing orb was random. You saved me a poo poo ton of pain. Your sacrifice for this great goon-nation shall be remembered.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Megasabin posted:

I've made some poor choices with my gem selection. Does anyone have spare life on hit and ground slam gems available? I'm only in Act 2 so I don't have much to offer, but I have some stuff saved

If you're on default and Europe then I can give you one.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

StickyNavels posted:

I'm currently leveling a Ranger and I feel a bit overwhelmed looking at the skill map. Is it viable to focus mostly on critical chance/strike, or should I look into something else?

I just ventured aimlessly until I got close to the right side of the skill map and found two nice little crit areas fairly close to each other so I'm focusing on that. You should be ok free-balling your skills for now as long as you aren't doing stuff like taking mace skills. Also remember to never take that "don't miss don't crit" if you earlier loaded up on crit nodes.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Fewd posted:

If you're on default and Europe then I can give you one.

US/Europe/Asia gateways are all actually on the same "server" meaning all Default characters can group and trade with each other, as can all hardcore characters.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

US/Europe/Asia gateways are all actually on the same "server" meaning all Default characters can group and trade with each other, as can all hardcore characters.

Oh? Cool, I thought they were all separate.

Drop your in-game name here Megasabin and I'll poke you if I see you online.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm not crazy to spec down that Acrobatics/phase acrobatics line on my bow ranger right? I all the gear I've been liking is evasion anyway. I'm not going to regrect the lack of armor/energy shield later?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

LibbyM posted:

I'm not crazy to spec down that Acrobatics/phase acrobatics line on my bow ranger right? I all the gear I've been liking is evasion anyway. I'm not going to regrect the lack of armor/energy shield later?

If you do you can always just spend a few respec points to drop it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Three oranges within one day with fuckall none magic find and they are even somewhat usable. This is so very unlike another arpg I played a while back. :can:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah I have heard that adding more melee skills to the game is a thing that is probably happening soon. Hopefully people that use 2h swords will get some more options since they're very limited compared to other weapons currently.

I'm currently leveling a Shadow that uses a bow and elemental stats/skills, hopefully tonight I can find a 3link item to play with Ice or Lightning shots linked with Fork and LMP. I'm also looking for a Death's Harp if anyone finds one and wants to sell.

Try Chain. It works much more nicely with Ice Shot/Lightning Arrow and it is pretty cheap in the PoE forums. Same with 3l rares. I use Fork with Poison Arrow as you can sit behind a door, hit the first mob that tries to come through, and basically cover an entire room in poison.

I want Death's Harp too and I know I will eventually pay a small fortune for it, if the item level is right. Not many weapon uniques can be said to be useful at pretty much all levels.

LibbyM posted:

Even if you don't regret it, being limited to just Evasion-only gear is pretty annoying. But then again I'm not a big fan of pure Evasion, and prefer Evasion/Energy Shield.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Both Death's harp and Windscream are valuable, because they are very viable late game options for certain builds.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Fewd posted:

Three oranges within one day with fuckall none magic find and they are even somewhat usable. This is so very unlike another arpg I played a while back. :can:

Yeah, it's definitely nice finding low level uniques and actually being able to use them. I've only found one but it has been rotating across all my characters.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Liberatore posted:

Try Chain. It works much more nicely with Ice Shot/Lightning Arrow and it is pretty cheap in the PoE forums. Same with 3l rares. I use Fork with Poison Arrow as you can sit behind a door, hit the first mob that tries to come through, and basically cover an entire room in poison.

I want Death's Harp too and I know I will eventually pay a small fortune for it, if the item level is right. Not many weapon uniques can be said to be useful at pretty much all levels.

Oh I'll definitely use Chain once I'm higher, my shadow is only 22 currently though and I have Fork and LMP already on him.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I just died for the first time on Merciless... Holy poo poo that XP loss! I shed a tear for all the wasted time.

Can you de-level if you die with less than 3 bars of XP? If not, I think this amount of XP loss is going to cause me to delegate runs to either "Progression" or "Leveling" where I'll stick to a location that's safe for me to level with very little risk of dying, and then only try to progress through content after I've hit a new level and don't have XP at risk.

God, I hate XP loss. So much.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Not too long ago someone asked for a AHK script that hotkeyed two chat commands. I don't know if anybody complied their request and I completely forgot what it was, other than one of the commands was "/itemlevel". I've found that I use the command quite a bit, and created a script specifically for it:

code:
$F2::
{
	Send {Enter}{Backspace}/itemlevel{Enter}
}
Return
Pressing F2 will type the command in the chat window. Don't use it if you have someone's name in the whisper box. The backspace there ensures you don't accidentally send a message to global chat or something.

Edit: Here is a list of keys if you don't want to use F2.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 29, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

jsr v2.0 posted:

I just died for the first time on Merciless... Holy poo poo that XP loss! I shed a tear for all the wasted time.

Can you de-level if you die with less than 3 bars of XP? If not, I think this amount of XP loss is going to cause me to delegate runs to either "Progression" or "Leveling" where I'll stick to a location that's safe for me to level with very little risk of dying, and then only try to progress through content after I've hit a new level and don't have XP at risk.

God, I hate XP loss. So much.

Play Hardcore and you'll never have to deal with XP loss again

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Play Hardcore and you'll never have to deal with XP loss again

You're so clever.

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!

jsr v2.0 posted:

Can you de-level if you die with less than 3 bars of XP?

As far as I can tell (and i've been dying a lot) you can't de-level from exp loss.

Also, check your PMs :v:.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Fewd posted:

I hate you so much. I found one unique through all of closed beta, and none so far in open. I really want Harp for my hardcore ranger, too :sigh:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I've found 0, even though I've got 2 rarity items equipped and those boots I posted earlier that add 100% on low health (my friend found those). Last night, he found another rare: Quill Rain. 100% increased attack speed at 50% reduced physical damage. I had to give it back because for a lightning build, my DPS suffered just too much, especially since it's a short bow. :(

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

whypick1 posted:

I've found 0, even though I've got 2 rarity items equipped and those boots I posted earlier that add 100% on low health (my friend found those). Last night, he found another rare: Quill Rain. 100% increased attack speed at 50% reduced physical damage. I had to give it back because for a lightning build, my DPS suffered just too much, especially since it's a short bow. :(

Yeah, that's the one I found during closed beta. Used it for all of five minutes before stopping, because using it with skills sucked down mana like nothing. Also, yeah, the damage hit sucked.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
11 out of 12 physicians agree I have a large penis.
Just a tip to anyone confused on what things are worth right now these orbs in particular are valued the most in the "barter" system of the game in order from lower to higher - Alchemists Orbs, Orb of Regret, Blessed Orb, Chaos Orb, Gemcutter's Prism. Also things that you might not think are worth a lot are random skill gems that you pick up with higher than 5% quality. If you have a skill gem from level 10-30 requirement those tend to be worth the most by far.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Primaris posted:

Just a tip to anyone confused on what things are worth right now these orbs in particular are valued the most in the "barter" system of the game in order from lower to higher - Alchemists Orbs, Orb of Regret, Blessed Orb, Chaos Orb, Gemcutter's Prism. Also things that you might not think are worth a lot are random skill gems that you pick up with higher than 5% quality. If you have a skill gem from level 10-30 requirement those tend to be worth the most by far.

You can use this website:

http://www.poeex.info/

It's not always 100% accurate. For instance, in many cases you can get a better deal by offering one gemcutter's prism instead of three chaos orbs. While the perceived value may be the same to a lot of people, it is still a barter system and people will be more inclined to accept things that they can use.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
That's a nice little site!

What I'm curious about is what people are looking for for certain uniques. I mean I'd love to get a Facebreaker for a couple of build ideas, but I'm under the impression those are rather sought after so it might be me paying out the nose in orbs. (I also think with uniques being usable by any account character forever unless they get traded, it would make them even more valuable.) Still this site is a nice little ballpark thing to look at for trading I have to say.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Awww man, this game also has bosses that freeze you and have massive groups of minions. My level 4 Witch! :saddowns:

Jesus though, it's very moreish.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Azaael posted:

That's a nice little site!

What I'm curious about is what people are looking for for certain uniques. I mean I'd love to get a Facebreaker for a couple of build ideas, but I'm under the impression those are rather sought after so it might be me paying out the nose in orbs. (I also think with uniques being usable by any account character forever unless they get traded, it would make them even more valuable.) Still this site is a nice little ballpark thing to look at for trading I have to say.

I don't know how valuable Facebreaker is, but one gemcutter's prism is a good starting point for a lot of uniques. I've seen Maligaro's and several other uniques sold for around that price.

I suspect Facebreaker isn't worth as much, though. And you should keep the item level in mind, which is unfortunately not listed in the tooltip. Higher item level, the longer the item will last.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Arrrrgh, I can't stick with a build and keep getting urges to reroll my character. :saddowns:

How many respec points can you get from quests in each difficulty?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Man, things go a lot smoother once you know what to build for early on. I started on a shadow, got him up to level 33 and realized that my build and skill choices were complete poo poo. I tried balancing out melee and casting, which left me lacking any sort of defense and without a solid offense as well. Decided to roll a witch because I wanted to focus on just spamming spells, and now I'm absolutely shredding through everything. I'm using frost pulse with lesser multiple projectiles and added lightning damage, and it seems crazy overpowered. The frost pulses overlap, so enemies directly in front of me get hit three times. Normal mobs drop in no more than 2 casts. Also, focusing on only one source of damage allowed me to build a lot more defensively. Frost wall helps keep stronger melee creeps out of my face, also.

tldr - Witches own, frost pulse with multiple projectiles owns. Once I'm satisfied with my amount of health/energy shield I'm going to focus on crit for a bit, so things get frozen more often.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Minrad posted:

Arrrrgh, I can't stick with a build and keep getting urges to reroll my character. :saddowns:

How many respec points can you get from quests in each difficulty?

Over the life of your character you'll maybe get about 10 respec points total, unless you get super lucky with Orb of Regret drops.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

whypick1 posted:

Over the life of your character you'll maybe get about 10 respec points total, unless you get super lucky with Orb of Regret drops.

I believe it's 18 total, bumped up from the previous 12. You don't have to get super lucky, though. Two Orbs of Scouring will give you one Orb of Regret. You can trade a decent mid/low level rare for at least one Orb of Alchemy, which is worth one Scouring, quite easily. Good lower level uniques can get you the equivalent of three Orbs of Regret, while high level ones will easily go for 6 or more.

It's best you do not make any major mistakes/drastic changes to your build, because you can use these currencies/items for other things, but the option to get a decent amount of respec points from Orbs of Regret is certainly there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Been toying around with the Passive skill tree in the website, and I'm worried about spreading too thin. I wanted to play a duelist with a focus on sword and shield, armour and auras. Am I right? Am I spreading too thin? I always sucked at creating ARPG builds. :ohdear:

• Locked thread