Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

Minrad posted:

If it's 30% of damage taken period gets reflected, that's a pretty huge damage reduction.

At first I thought it was a ring, so it's probably not all that great. Still, better than some of the worst D3 uniques! :v:

How they could do so many things right and not figure this part out blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Minrad posted:

If it's 30% of damage taken period gets reflected, that's a pretty huge damage reduction.

At first I thought it was a ring, so it's probably not all that great. Still, better than some of the worst D3 uniques! :v:

Reflected damage is not subtracted from your damage total. Still extremely high reflection later in the game if you can survive with that fucker on, though.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

Count Uvula posted:

Reflected damage is not subtracted from your damage total. Still extremely high reflection later in the game if you can survive with that fucker on, though.

The joy of watching one of those drat packs of yellow/blue archers make their own heads pop off all at once would definitely justify the near-death experienced inevitably involved.

Seriously, those guys can just spread out or something. They're the type of mob that only kills you when you get really lazy but seemingly never fails to.

Divine Disclaimer fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 30, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Divine Disclaimer posted:

You're being a tool. Being able to do something once per difficulty =/= being able to do it multiple times per level and/or as often as you have the orbs.

Not only that but compare the fun of being handed an opportunity you invariably have to sit and wait on to find (if you are smart) just the right thing vs soemthing you can do whenever you feel like it for shits and giggles with no potential lost.

"Here's a present, if you really want it to be good don't loving open it for a month and then it might still be total poo poo durr"

"Here's a present, open it now, open it later, who gives a gently caress? There will be more."

It's a Good Thing.

Dude, you are shifting the goalposts like crazy. Your initial claim was, I must point out again, that PoE has "the first loot system where there is no irrelevant trash." Now you're going off on some weird rear end tangent about how if you spend multiple valuable consumables you can turn a piece of complete garbage into something usable. But I mean if you wanna argue that using potentially multiple jeweler's orbs, orbs of fusing, whetstones, chromatic orbs, and then an orb of alchemy on the first driftwood wand with a red socket you pick up is viable then sure, go ahead.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

AnonSpore posted:

Dude, you are shifting the goalposts like crazy. Your initial claim was, I must point out again, that PoE has "the first loot system where there is no irrelevant trash." Now you're going off on some weird rear end tangent about how if you spend multiple valuable consumables you can turn a piece of complete garbage into something usable. But I mean if you wanna argue that using potentially multiple jeweler's orbs, orbs of fusing, whetstones, chromatic orbs, and then an orb of alchemy on the first driftwood wand with a red socket you pick up is viable then sure, go ahead.

mottbag posted:

drat, all good then. People generally trade gems for 1 alchy orb if you have some spare - this is probably the most efficient way of getting gems.

Cough, not a cool game element at all. People are only willing to trade their skills for a single shot at it.

Also I didn't say the first driftwood wand, did I? I said a particular item you desire to have a rare version of. It can suck rear end when you have a good, slow wand- but you need a good, fast wand; and the game isn't giving you one. In this game when that happens you just look out for a good, fast, but un-enchanted wand- then you enchant it yourself. Also, I already conceded that except for gearing low level characters twink style there are lots of whites you would never enchant, and that that wasn't the best way of wording it. Saying you need a shitload of orbs to do it is totally loving misrepresenting it. You are usually one socket re-roll from something at least workable all the way through the middle difficulty.

I happen to think that's pretty cool, perhaps even fun and yeah, I exaggerated it's coolness a little bit, but that's not a reason to go tearing it apart.

Divine posted:

I shouldn't have said each and every single one, then, yeah- but they aren't "poorly leveled" at some point for every character

Divine Disclaimer fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 30, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Agent355 posted:

How valuable/rare is the portal skill?

Not really valuable unless you find an idiot who cant manage his scrolls, I have more TP scrolls than I know what to do with and laugh whenever someone tries to sell that gem for a ludicrous price. And speaking of ludicrous I finally got my LMP after much blood, sweat and tears. And now I have an extra faster projectiles if anyone wants to trade for it (I traded an amazing piece of armor for it only to realize 10 seconds later that I've already traded for one earlier this evening and that it was LMP I still needed ffffffffff).

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 30, 2013

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

Mr.48 posted:

Not really valuable unless you find an idiot who cant manage his scrolls, I have more TP scrolls than I know what to do with and laugh whenever someone tries to sell that gem for a ludicrous price. And speaking of ludicrous I finally got my LMP after much blood, sweat and tears. And now I have an extra faster projectiles if anyone wants to trade for it (I traded an amazing piece of armor for it only to realize 10 seconds later that I've already traded for one earlier this evening ffffffffff).

Don't feel bad, I traded a non-quest-reward gem away on my first day, and today I burned a chain belt with high mana regen and resistance at the vendor my accident.

I don't really see why it should be so rare, since portal scrolls aren't an ingredient in anything and you aren't actually saving anything by using it. I guess because otherwise none of us would use portal scrolls.

Divine Disclaimer fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 30, 2013

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The most important thing to remember about having extremely rare items. Is I'm a better person than you because I have one :smug:

There are entire economies based on this principle

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Some nice fellow only wanted one alchemy orb for this :woop:

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
Even in the most dumb downed aRPG, Diablo 3, once you're actually at the point of farming there is one thing you'll quickly learn about the genre. Time = money, or in direct aRPG terms, time = good loot. All that time you waste identifying, picking up crappy blues and selling crap items to the vendor is time lost in the dungeons potentially picking up sweet sweet ultraloot. Don't pick up garbage in games like this. Picking up something with the sole purpose of vendoring something for basic currency is a waste of time. You vendor stuff that had that potential of being a good item but rolled crappy, or in this games case items that will work in good vendor recipes, such as the r-g-b linked socket items.

Once you start ignoring crappy blues to vendor off for transmutation shards, you'll find the inventory space is adequate and you're not wasting half your time portaling back to town. Honestly in all the aRPGs I've played (except maybe your pet in Torchlight), you should rarely never find yourself town portaling back to deal with loot unless you happen to have an extremely lucky run.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

So I think I'm going to abandon my Duelist for now at level 30, it's been a pretty poo poo experience so far but I'm going to attribute that to some bad choices on my part with my build (too much focus on damage and tried to rely on evasion for survivability :suicide:).

One of my problems with my Duelist is that the melee combat just felt really dull again this could just be due to my build as I didn't really focus on AOE, am I likely to have a better experience with a Marauder? otherwise I might just make a Witch.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sendo posted:

One of my problems with my Duelist is that the melee combat just felt really dull again this could just be due to my build as I didn't really focus on AOE, am I likely to have a better experience with a Marauder? otherwise I might just make a Witch.

My experience so far is that melee combat is dull and awkward no matter what build you're playing. Go for the Witch.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
After not having very much luck with a elementalist witch, I tried out a necromancer, got to cruel brutus and the instant the zombies and skeletons surrounded him he exploded into a pile of loot, I think I'll like necromancer this time around.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Is it possible at all to link your character profile as an URL? (for the purpose of showing stash etc to others). When I click on my guys on the home page I just get a pop-up.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Is this build a stupid idea?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...930-PeI_E78xQ==

It's an elemental ranger based around Lightning Arrow, which is super cookie-cutter, but it gets more DPS talents than most of those builds do. It also gets CI, Ghost Reaver and Vaal Pact, which may be suicide or may be entertaining. What do people think?

edit: a question - how do Armour and ES interact? Does Armour soak some damage before it's subtracted from ES?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Zephro posted:

edit: a question - how do Armour and ES interact? Does Armour soak some damage before it's subtracted from ES?

ES has the same interactions with attacks as health for everything except chaos damage. Evasion, armor, and block all work for energy shield.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Count Uvula posted:

ES has the same interactions with attacks as health for everything except chaos damage. Evasion, armor, and block all work for energy shield.
OK, so it wouldn't be straight-up retarded to take Iron Reflexes with a CI build? You'd still get some benefit from armour?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Zephro posted:

OK, so it wouldn't be straight-up retarded to take Iron Reflexes with a CI build? You'd still get some benefit from armour?

Eh, there's nothing bad about how they work together, but there's so much space between them. Your build is more attributes than actual passive skills.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do +AoE size passives interact with Lightning nova?
Do they add 4% to the outside?
Do they add 4% to both outside and inside?
Do they add 2% to both sides?
Do they scale the whole thing up by 4%, minimum range included?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Asehujiko posted:

Do they scale the whole thing up by 4%, minimum range included?

This one. There's a unique enemy in the battlefront or solaris temple (act 3) that uses lightning nova with increased AOE, if you want to see it in action.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How well do necromancers handle the endgame? merciless and beyond, just curious if there are certain maps where it's impossible to get a army out longer then 2 seconds.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How well do necromancers handle the endgame? merciless and beyond, just curious if there are certain maps where it's impossible to get a army out longer then 2 seconds.

I'm having trouble getting things to focus on minions instead of me in the first place. So... not good?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Once I got the skeleton totem, I just sit in the middle of the 12 skeletons and 8 zombies while I count the loot and check my skill tree, so they make a good meatwall.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm currently near the end of Act 1 on Merciless as a necromancer, and I'm doing along just fine. I have also been really unlucky with drops, so I'd say the class is fairly gear-independant.

You might have problems with some bosses, though. The final boss of Act 3 on cruel gave me some problems.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dreggon posted:

Some nice fellow only wanted one alchemy orb for this :woop:

The only wands that are very desirable are ones that have an additional "Increased spell damage" mod. I've seen ones that have a total of >100% spell damage, which is extremely powerful. Even ones with 50% are very very good and probably not too expensive.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Suprfli6 posted:

The only wands that are very desirable are ones that have an additional "Increased spell damage" mod. I've seen ones that have a total of >100% spell damage, which is extremely powerful. Even ones with 50% are very very good and probably not too expensive.

Don't forget ~high Physical/elemental damage wands for wanders. They are pretty rare.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
On the off chance anyone has this combo: Fork+Chain+Ethereal Knives. Would the projectiles created from Forked projectiles Chain into new enemies then Fork? It has been hard to tell in a large enough group if the Forked projectiles Fork again if they hit a target, but sometimes whole groups just tip over dead when I throw the things.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I've been using Split Arrow + Pierce to farm packs of monsters on Normal difficulty. Will this stay viable? I really like how it feels, but it seems to be getting weaker and weaker as I gain levels.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Can anyone post a critique of my DW Duelist (Sword) build? I'm not a vet by any means, but I want to make it workable. I guess the plan is to use Dual Strike/Cleave depending, with Warlord's Mark. Possibly Frenzy if I can handle it as well. And use Viper Strike just because?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...xc4llz5_ZOHKTQ1

How does Iron Reflexes work with talents that buff evasion rating? Will I get the bonus and then have it converted to armor? And how does IR work with armor buffs is it improved by them?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Melee needs more skills akin to D3s barbarian where you can just jump around like a mad man, the combat doesn't feel very smooth at all.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Is the game still laggy as hell and desynching all the time? I don't even want to play while that's still going, I hope that won't be a problem for too long :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Highblood posted:

Is the game still laggy as hell and desynching all the time? I don't even want to play while that's still going, I hope that won't be a problem for too long :smith:

Generally stable but gets kind of nasty around peak times.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
When do spell totems start to drop?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

rhazes posted:

How does Iron Reflexes work with talents that buff evasion rating? Will I get the bonus and then have it converted to armor? And how does IR work with armor buffs is it improved by them?
Yes. Although I believe talents that buff both Evasion and Armour (eg: Leather and Steel) will only apply once, ie you don't get to double-dip.

ksr
Aug 4, 2010

Lungboy posted:

When do spell totems start to drop?

Anything can drop anywhere. You can choose it as a quest reward for most classes in Cruel as well.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sylink posted:

Melee needs more skills akin to D3s barbarian where you can just jump around like a mad man, the combat doesn't feel very smooth at all.

It also feels really, really boring. I think I'm going to stick to the green and blue gem ranged classes until they do something with melee to make it feel like something fun.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ksr posted:

Anything can drop anywhere.

This isn't true is it? I thought that items worked very similarly to D2, in that they have an item level, and they can only be dropped by monsters with the same ilevel, with yellow bosses getting a level higher and orange bosses getting 2 levels.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Lungboy posted:

This isn't true is it? I thought that items worked very similarly to D2, in that they have an item level, and they can only be dropped by monsters with the same ilevel, with yellow bosses getting a level higher and orange bosses getting 2 levels.

ST has a minimum level of 31, so it should start to drop around areas of that level. You are better off paying for it though, hoping for a rare support gem drop is like hoping an extemely specific unique drops on one of your farming runs. If you want to farm for gems, get item quantity and party up with people who wouldn't ninja it, since partying jacks up the loot drops.

Rabbi posted:

I've been using Split Arrow + Pierce to farm packs of monsters on Normal difficulty. Will this stay viable? I really like how it feels, but it seems to be getting weaker and weaker as I gain levels.

Split arrow isn't very good, try getting lightning arrow with lesser multiple projectiles, chain and sometime later fork.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Here's the level 60ish SC ranger build I'm doing: Click

The idea is to have Evasion/Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics/Dodge Arrows for defense, and bow crits/damage with King of the Hill for offense. How bad is this build? Am I going to hit a brick wall and quit this character forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I think it's generally accepted that Acrobatics is wank at the moment.

• Locked thread